As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bad "Food" Thread: We Talk About The Garbage We Put Inside Us

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I once saw a girl accept a bet to drink half a pint of malt vinegar.

Easiest five pounds she ever earned - didn't even bat an eyelid.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Apple cider vinegar is good for treating capsaicin burns. Ask my brother who opted to make pico de gallo barehanded.

How did your brother get capsaicin burns making pico de gallo?

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »
    Apple cider vinegar is good for treating capsaicin burns. Ask my brother who opted to make pico de gallo barehanded.

How did your brother get capsaicin burns making pico de gallo?

Big batch involving cerrano peppers, with the seeds. He used his hands to mix it all together and neglected to wash his hands immediately after, thinking a towel was good enough.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    My mom got burns once working in a truck stop when she had to wash and chop up a huge can of jalapenos and they didn't give her gloves.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    I have discovered a new ramen

912ubnEOnuL._SX425_.jpg

It is hot as fuck. This bowl of noodles is making me feel like a god damn baby.

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I once had noodles in Shanghai and everyone told me I would pass out and die if I ordered one of the spicy varieties as a European person

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    You guys ever tried this stuff

thumb_600.jpg

It's like the best for 2 seconds and then your mouth goes to hell

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    I look at that picture and just nope right the hell away. I can see the seeds, I know I don't want any of that noise.

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I just don't do spicy.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    I love spicy. I don't think I really started to dig spicy food until I was in my mid-twenties though. I will be seriously bummed if/when I have to stop eating spicy food as I get older which I guess is a thing that can happen.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I have been on a huge spicy kick recently.

Make popcorn and dump tabasco or chili powder on it.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    CimmeriiCimmerii SpaceOperaGhost Registered User regular
    THESPOOKY wrote: »

912ubnEOnuL._SX425_.jpg

I got a box of the cup version of these for work lunches, and tried one today.

They are actually hot enough that I can taste it, I quite like them.

Though the pic above makes me want to make some boiled eggs to toss in at the end.

I should note that most food I make is very spicy. My husband had some adjusting to do when we first moved in together.

*Internally Screaming*
  • Options
    builderr0rbuilderr0r Registered User regular

912ubnEOnuL._SX425_.jpg

Yup (and I usually have a high tolerance for spicy food), but it's delicious!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The problem with junk food is that popular stuff sells, and super spicy food is a really niche product. So places like Taco Bell talk a good game with their Diablo Hail Satan Hot Sauce but it's really no different than Tabasco in terms of heat.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    I'd buy a hot sauce labeled "Hail Satan"

But mostly as a goof because I am not actually a fan of hotsauce.

Though I am growing a healthy appreciation for spicy food.

• Options
    Like 90% of hot sauces invoke Satan or asskickings.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    The only spicy dish I eat somewhat regularly is the chicken tikka masala from down the street. Not the spiciest dish they have I'm sure.

If I wanted to broaden my spicy horizons what should I also look into?

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »
    The only spicy dish I eat somewhat regularly is the chicken tikka masala from down the street. Not the spiciest dish they have I'm sure.

If I wanted to broaden my spicy horizons what should I also look into?

Bhut jolokia.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    Like 90% of hot sauces invoke Satan or asskickings.

also farts

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I have taken a liking to spicy food.

I generally enjoy every meal, within reason, with onions, Sriracha sauce & Tabasco-enhanced ketchup.

And that does basically nothing for me nowadays.

But this stuff?

Zombie-Cajun-The-Antidote-Hot-Sauce-6oz-The-Hottest-Of-Our-Hot-Sauces-Not-Just-A-Novelty-Gift-For-A-Zombie-Apocalypse-Survival-Kit-Best-Bottle-Of-Louisiana-Spiced-Cayenne-And-Habanero-Pepper-Sauce-For-0-2.jpg
    Zombie Cajun "The Antidote" extra strength conversion Hot Sauce. Saving the world one less Zombie at a time. This is Zombie Cajun Hot Sauce on steroids for those that like it extra hot. This is a superior blend of Cayenne and Habanero Peppers that will fuel your need for extra heat. Rated a 10 out of 10 for heat.
    The Antidote is really hot, but it wouldn't be considered an extreme hot, Hot Sauce. (One drop is not going to give you heart palpitations and make you consider a trip to the ER.) It is meant to be used and used often. It is made with fresh Cayenne and Habanero peppers for their flavor and their natural heat. Then we add just the right amount of Cajun seasoning to enhance the flavors. We never use extracts or concentrates to abnormally make our sauces hotter.

This stuff is probably the hottest sauce I've had yet. It will make my lips go numb, my nose runny and my eyes cry for 10-15 minutes after tasting it.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    The problem with junk food is that popular stuff sells, and super spicy food is a really niche product. So places like Taco Bell talk a good game with their Diablo Hail Satan Hot Sauce but it's really no different than Tabasco in terms of heat.

I find Taco Bell's diablo sauce to be way hotter than tabasco.

• Options
    I've eaten burritos with tabasco and their diablo sauce (separarately, not mixed), and it didn't seem any hotter.

Diablo is actually spicy though.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I put like an ounce of tabasco in the bottle of V8 I had in the fridge when I opened it. I had a glass with a sandwich the other day, and then my roommate was like, "Hey can I try some V8? I've never had it before and don't know what it tastes like." So I said yes, forgetting that she has ZERO tolerance for spicy things.

Two hours and 3 glasses of milk later, she was finally able to stop sweating profusely and wasn't red any more. Meanwhile, I was eating some 5 star pad thai like no big thang and getting super evil glares.

But fuck me if I can eat anything with horseradish. That stuff isn't really intended for human consumption.

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    My everyday hot sauce is Texas Pete's Hotter Hot Sauce, or Cholula if I feel like spending the money on it. For a really hot hot sauce, I like any of the Blair's Death sauces. The last one I had was the Salsa de la Muerte.

b152.jpg

The little skull in the picture is part of a key chain. I've got a pretty good collection of them by now. If you don't like spicy food, stay far away from any of their products. The next step up would be getting into straight capsaicin extracts, which offer no flavor and just ridiculous amounts of pure heat.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »
    You guys ever tried this stuff

thumb_600.jpg

It's like the best for 2 seconds and then your mouth goes to hell

What's the name of that dish?

• Options
    A co-worker brought in breakfast from McDonald's for everyone, and I got a free sausage biscuit!

Awwww, yeah.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Man, I woke up with a huge craving to go to Village Inn and wreck some Country Fried Steak Skillet with Pancakes.

Getting all 2000 calories in one meal is advisable, right?

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    My everyday hot sauce is Texas Pete's Hotter Hot Sauce, or Cholula if I feel like spending the money on it. For a really hot hot sauce, I like any of the Blair's Death sauces. The last one I had was the Salsa de la Muerte.

b152.jpg

The little skull in the picture is part of a key chain. I've got a pretty good collection of them by now. If you don't like spicy food, stay far away from any of their products. The next step up would be getting into straight capsaicin extracts, which offer no flavor and just ridiculous amounts of pure heat.

Blair's Beyond Death sauce is a pretty great, if very spicy sauce. I love the bottle design too, it's so early '90s (which makes sense, it's supposed to be a revival from the early '90s):

beyond_1.jpg

• Options
    How do you feel about the Dave's Insanity sauces, @jgeis? I've always thought they only brought heat and not enough flavor.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Man, I woke up with a huge craving to go to Village Inn and wreck some Country Fried Steak Skillet with Pancakes.

Getting all 2000 calories in one meal is advisable, right?
    My breakfast consisted of two egg and cheese sandwiches, plus seasoned potato wedges covered in cheese and ketchup and a large glass of chocolate milk.

So yeah, totally advisable.

sig.gif
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

912ubnEOnuL._SX425_.jpg

I likesapporo_ichiban_original.jpg

More

But then I really don't like spicy food that is painful to eat
    I find it silly and a waste

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I love Chicken Fried Steak for breakfast but no one around here has a decent one

• Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    Cimmerii wrote: »

912ubnEOnuL._SX425_.jpg

I got a box of the cup version of these for work lunches, and tried one today.

They are actually hot enough that I can taste it, I quite like them.

Though the pic above makes me want to make some boiled eggs to toss in at the end.

I should note that most food I make is very spicy. My husband had some adjusting to do when we first moved in together.

I pretty much only use the noodles and the spicy powder with these. Crack a couple of eggs in at the right timing, put some veggies that don't need to be cooked a lot in at various timings.
    Good snack.

• Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    the+hottest+fuckin+sauce.JPG

• Options
    @Mego Thor I currently have bottles of Dave's 2014 Reserve, Crazy Caribbean, and Roasted Garlic sauces in my fridge. I don't like their general hot sauces because they do lack flavor, but the Crazy Caribbean and Roasted Garlic have good flavor.

I'm kind of a hot sauce junkie. I usually have a variety of 10-15 bottles in my fridge at any one time. Some of my favorite hot sauces and ones that I would recommend for various uses are:

Melinda's Amarillo (great on hot dogs, roast/grilled pork)
    Melinda's Garlic (great on pizza, seafood)
    Valentina "Black Label" (my favorite general Mexican-style hot sauce)
    Dave's Crazy Caribbean (for chicken, seafood)
    Dave's Roasted Garlic (chicken, pizza)
    El Yucateco XXXtra Hot "Original Mayan Recipe" (when I want extra heat on Mexican/Central American dishes)
    Blair's Beyond Death (when I want to enjoy a good cry)
    Swamp Gator (to add heat to BBQ meats)

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    @brainleec there's a local place here that does chicken fried chicken and it's nummers.

Did anyone else have that book when they were a kid? Nummers! ?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I think everything I have to say about Applebees can be communicated by me saying I wish every Denny's had a bar.

Denny's is where you go to get SOBER.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I feel like there is a certain amount of macho bullshit to hot sauce. Yeah I like the flavour of various chillies and spices, and a little heat is good. When the food you are eating is causing you physical pain and causing respiratory problems, then you're just being silly.

I feel like any hotsauce that markets themselves on their heat as opposed to their flavour is probably not something I want to experience?

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I think everything I have to say about Applebees can be communicated by me saying I wish every Denny's had a bar.

Denny's is where you go to get SOBER.

So Ber?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I feel like there is a certain amount of macho bullshit to hot sauce. Yeah I like the flavour of various chillies and spices, and a little heat is good. When the food you are eating is causing you physical pain and causing respiratory problems, then you're just being silly.

I feel like any hotsauce that markets themselves on their heat as opposed to their flavour is probably not something I want to experience?

I like hot sauces that are very hot and cause some discomfort, but there is definitely an upper limit. Up to that limit I liken it to intense exercise. You work out really hard and then you end up with a runner's high and feel really great. I get the same response from hot sauce, it causes some momentary, minor discomfort and then I get an endorphin rush.

I would never want to eat something that caused me respiratory distress. That just sounds fuckin' dumb.

jgeis on
This discussion has been closed.