As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Book] Thread 20XXAD

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Just finished Starship Troopers. Verhoeven's film is great but aside from involving Bugs isn't true to the novel in any way. The actual book is short, doesn't involve a whole lot of action, and the "controversial" content isn't. Sure, it proposes a society where the only people that can vote are those who have "earned" the privilege, but hey, it's sci-fi, and if the author wanted to make a fake society where people are ranked by smell or something more power to 'em. I guess there was a lot of moral panic and cries of "fascism" during the 60s since if Troopers came out in this day and age no one would bat an eye (ex. Neal Asher's Polity novels' approach to capital punishment).

IIRC the screenplay for the movie was originally for a totally unrelated scifi film. They just slapped on the "Starship Troopers" name and made a few vague similarities for publicity.

The Starship Troopers movie is brilliant satire to the fascist manifesto that the book occasionally devolves into though.

I rather enjoy the book, but it does get pretty damn preachy at times.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    So apparently while drunk late Friday night, I ordered a copy of Night Film by Marisha Pessl and then immediately forgot about it, just showed up today as a pleasant surprise. Looks interesting, can't wait to start it tonight.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Night Film seems decent so far, I'm totally digging the main mystery plot...

But the author has a super annoying writing style where in nearly every conversation, and frequently even in the narrator's thoughts, a character will have multiple words italicized for emphasis.

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    I think it was someone in thread who recommended Teresa Frohock. I've been reading her 'Los Nefilim' anthology of short novellae (novella's?), and it's really rather good. Set in the Spanish Civil War, which parallels a struggle between angels and demons, through their catspaws, the Nefilim.

It's got a lovely protagonist duo; a male pairing, with a child, in the thirties - it's unusual, but it works, and the relationship is beautifully portrayed.

Also there's angels, demons, and the fate of the world hanging in the balance.

Anyway, it's good stuff, and worth a look if you want something a bit different - so thanks to whichever of you recommended Frohock in the first place, really enjoying her work.

• Options
    Night Film update: The aforementioned writing style still infuriates me, but it's been a long time since I've been so drawn into a mystery plot. Close to halfway through it, and so far I'd give it 3 stars as a novel, 5 if you just consider it as a story being told. We'll see how it goes.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Frozenzen wrote: »

The Starship Troopers movie is brilliant satire to the fascist manifesto that the book occasionally devolves into though.

Is there a Heinlein novel (sans the juveniles) that isn't preachy?

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    m!ttens wrote: »
    Frozenzen wrote: »

Is there a Heinlein novel (sans the juveniles) that isn't preachy?

Preaching is what he does.

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    Preaching is what he does.
    God The Moon is a Harsh Mistress was such a disappointment. I didn't know it was possible for a book to be more libertarian than Atlas Shrugged, but there you go.

• Options
    But surely you see it's totes rational and fair to literally deprive people of air if they can't get a job?

Disclaimer: blacklisting, racism, homophobia, etc aren't illegal because that would be government interference!

• Options
    But surely you see it's totes rational and fair to literally deprive people of air if they can't get a job?

Disclaimer: blacklisting, racism, homophobia, etc aren't illegal because that would be government interference!

In fairness, I don't remember anything in the disclaimer being mentioned in the narrative, except insofar as the Authority might or might not be discriminating on that basis.
    TBH I'm not sure I see the book as a individualist text, mostly because in order for that to work, they had to opt into the dictatorship of Mike
    A supercomputer advanced enough to act as an entirely impartial governmental body
    suggesting people are only able to act as if they are truly free when actually under the absolute authority of another.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »

In fairness, I don't remember anything in the disclaimer being mentioned in the narrative, except insofar as the Authority might or might not be discriminating on that basis.
    TBH I'm not sure I see the book as a individualist text, mostly because in order for that to work, they had to opt into the dictatorship of Mike
    A supercomputer advanced enough to act as an entirely impartial governmental body
    suggesting people are only able to act as if they are truly free when actually under the absolute authority of another.

Nah, it more suggests like with most of these libertarian fantasies, the author couldn't square the circle of how this is all supposed to actually work without a bunch of hand-waving.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Took a punt on the first Flashman book, which is a series I've always avoided because the covers on the UK Harper Collins editions make it look like something I wouldn't enjoy.

It's actually pretty good. It's relatively unusual to encounter a character that is an irredeemable shit without being an antihero.

• Options
    japan wrote: »
    Took a punt on the first Flashman book, which is a series I've always avoided because the covers on the UK Harper Collins editions make it look like something I wouldn't enjoy.

It's actually pretty good. It's relatively unusual to encounter a character that is an irredeemable shit without being an antihero.

FWIW, although I didn't cover the period professionally, the historical research (as relates to the setting), where I looked into it, is extremely well done.

• Options
    edited May 2016

The Flashman books are fantastic. He is, as you say, not a very nice person at all in just about every way possible.

Those books got me interested in history. History is amazing and the Flashman books narrativise a pretty good chunk of the 19th century which is when many of the amazingest things happened.

EDIT: Note well - the series is pretty damb triggery. The protagonist has what can most gently called a very blithe view of sexual consent by modern standards. And race. And Imperialism. And casual violence. Don't read any of them if these are a problem for you.

V1m on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I just finished the Goblin Emperor. Wow! I loved it.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    The traitor baru cormorant by seth dickinson is nice twisty turny little story.

It's whatever genre kj Parker's engineer trilogy is. Do you call it fantasy when there are no real fantastic elements?

The first half is wonderful with lots of strange attention to economics and their place in rebellion. Then it gets a bit lost in an uninteresting key change before a really solid ending.

There's some really nice use of language throughout, especially around various names with roots that have well chosen connection.

I presume there will be more in the same setting but really it doesn't need a follow up

For anybody who wants more too much detail on this book, the author has done five chapters of a read along where he dissects it a bit and points out some of the subtler bits you have have missed.

http://www.sethdickinson.com/2015/10/01/the-traitor-baru-cormorant-read-along-chapter-1/

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Among other things (woo holiday! Kinda woo, long train journeys!), tore through the Vorkosigan latest, Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen. It's a story of a complex relationship between two mature adults, really, letting themselves and their families figure out where they stand. There's a sci-do patina over it, but the narrative does it very well. A sedate, contemplative text after the more quirkily humorous Vorpatril...

There's a lot of complexity bubbling under the surface there, too. It's encouraged me to start a Vor re-read.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    A little while ago I read A deepness in the sky by Vernor Vinge and was pretty impressed

So I found out it was the second in a series and read the first which is called something like Fire into the deep (Vernor, you're bad at naming your books and I dont have it to hand to check). It was pretty good but nowhere near as good as the second one

Also calling it a series seems ambitious as basically they just potentially could share a setting and that is that.

I did enjoy the group minded aliens though. That was a neat concept

As I've already bought the third one (children of the sky? Maybe). I'll plough on, although the opening chapter was a bit weak. Still, he has nice ideas. This one is a direct sequel to the first.

• Options
    A Fire Upon The Deep was pretty goddamb awesome. I mean that is space opera done right.

• Options
    GrudgeGrudge blessed is the mind too small for doubtRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I'm very fond of all three. Vinge has some very interesting ideas about aliens. The last one has a bit of an open ending too, so I'm hoping for a fourth book.

Grudge on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    I haven't read Children of the Sky. It's worth reading? Amazon reviews are pretty down on it as a follow up to the first two.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

The Flashman books are fantastic. He is, as you say, not a very nice person at all in just about every way possible.

Those books got me interested in history. History is amazing and the Flashman books narrativise a pretty good chunk of the 19th century which is when many of the amazingest things happened.

EDIT: Note well - the series is pretty damb triggery. The protagonist has what can most gently called a very blithe view of sexual consent by modern standards. And race. And Imperialism. And casual violence. Don't read any of them if these are a problem for you.

Fun fact - Flashman is actually the adventures of the bully villain of Tom Brown's Schooldays (a 19th century boys school novel by a different author). It's entirely the story of what would happen if the worst person in a shitty private school went on to be the worst person in every other role he performs, and thus becomes wildly successful and famous.

You aren't meant to identify or sympathize with Flashman, at all. He's charming, but the entire series is a very dark look at the period and its hypocrisies.

• Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    Started up Prince of Thorns, and holy shit those are some evil bastards. The writing feels a bit cheesy in parts, but I'm digging it so far.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Started up Prince of Thorns, and holy shit those are some evil bastards. The writing feels a bit cheesy in parts, but I'm digging it so far.

I loved that series. It goes places!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular

It's a great trilogy with a lot of depth. They go into a lot of the motivations and why some of those characters are evil bastards, it's not just to be edgy. It's neat.

My favorite part (major spoilers for the first book, minor spoilers for the third(?) book)
    They know Latin better than English or Italian, since ancient writings preserved on stone were able to last into the post-apocalyptic future while most books have long since rotted away and they don't have the tech to access digital records. The head watchman of the post-apocalyptic Vatican is one of the few people who knows anything about his ancestor. He is proud that his ancestor was, like him, a watchman.

After all, the job title of his ancestor was "custodian", derived from the Latin custodio. He holds the ancient emblem of his ancestor's proud office--a mop.

• Options
    edited June 2016

It's a great trilogy with a lot of depth. They go into a lot of the motivations and why some of those characters are evil bastards, it's not just to be edgy. It's neat.

My favorite part (major spoilers for the first book, minor spoilers for the third(?) book)
    They know Latin better than English or Italian, since ancient writings preserved on stone were able to last into the post-apocalyptic future while most books have long since rotted away and they don't have the tech to access digital records. The head watchman of the post-apocalyptic Vatican is one of the few people who knows anything about his ancestor. He is proud that his ancestor was, like him, a watchman.

After all, the job title of his ancestor was "custodian", derived from the Latin custodio. He holds the ancient emblem of his ancestor's proud office--a mop.
    What happens to the actual custodian they "wake" is one of the grimmer jokes in the series.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    Iolo wrote: »
    I haven't read Children of the Sky. It's worth reading? Amazon reviews are pretty down on it as a follow up to the first two.

So far it's another step down compared to a deepness in the sky. Again it has interesting ideas though so I'm sticking with it

• Options

So far it's another step down compared to a deepness in the sky. Again it has interesting ideas though so I'm sticking with it

I'd agree with that. On its own, it's a decent - if oddly young adult in feel - book about a group of people living on a planet of Dickensian dogs. As a sequel to Fire, though, it's underwhelming.

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular

I'd agree with that. On its own, it's a decent - if oddly young adult in feel - book about a group of people living on a planet of Dickensian dogs. As a sequel to Fire, though, it's underwhelming.

I don't love the idea of Vinge relying again on the Tines, but at least they are one of the most interesting alien races I've read about.

What I liked so much about Fire(and didn't get in Deepness), as well as my recent reads of Aristoi and the Ancillary series, is the exploration of different kinds of minds and consciousness. Are there are books that anyone can recommend which would explore that topic?

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    I finished Half a War. It was pretty good but not one of the best.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    Septus wrote: »

I don't love the idea of Vinge relying again on the Tines, but at least they are one of the most interesting alien races I've read about.

What I liked so much about Fire(and didn't get in Deepness), as well as my recent reads of Aristoi and the Ancillary series, is the exploration of different kinds of minds and consciousness. Are there are books that anyone can recommend which would explore that topic?

The Tines in the sequel felt more like the Spiders than the Tines in the original book to me. As for good explorations of different types of consciousness and what it means to be "alien", I'd say Left Hand of Darkness and Mary Doria Russell's The Sparrow are my favorites.

• Options
    I recently picked up a copy of Seveneves and Cryptonomicon at my local HPB and I'm trying to decide which one should be on the queue first. Any suggestions?

• Options

The Tines in the sequel felt more like the Spiders than the Tines in the original book to me. As for good explorations of different types of consciousness and what it means to be "alien", I'd say Left Hand of Darkness and Mary Doria Russell's The Sparrow are my favorites.

Peter Watt's Blindsight

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Embassytown

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I recently picked up a copy of Seveneves and Cryptonomicon at my local HPB and I'm trying to decide which one should be on the queue first. Any suggestions?

Cryptonomicon is way way better. Explains some slightly better than basics of crypto which everybody should know and even sorta kinda predicts bitcoin!

Seveneves is....I am a huge Stevenson fan and uh, maybe only read it if you really really like Cryptonomicon. Or love orbital mechanics I guess.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    shryke wrote: »
    Embassytown

I am bad because I forgot Embassytown and I feel bad.

• Options

Cryptonomicon is way way better. Explains some slightly better than basics of crypto which everybody should know and even sorta kinda predicts bitcoin!

Seveneves is....I am a huge Stevenson fan and uh, maybe only read it if you really really like Cryptonomicon. Or love orbital mechanics I guess.

I'm an aerospace engineer so I happen to love orbital mechanics :biggrin:

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

I'm an aerospace engineer so I happen to love orbital mechanics :biggrin:

In that case, no matter what you choose, you shall win!

I love Cryptonomicon a lot, but being a student/degree holder in Early Modern History, my Stephenson heart belongs to The Baroque Cycle. Half-Cocked Jack Shaftoe is one of my favorite fictional characters ever.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    shryke wrote: »
    Embassytown

Need to give that a re-read soon. Only read it the one time.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

The Mote in God's Eye.

This discussion has been closed.