As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East 2016 Pre-FAQ Thread

2»

• Options
    rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    do people actually sell them outside the center i never see people selling them granted I am not there right when doors open but still never seen them

• Options
    yea I planned on buying mine just dont know if the gf will wanna go or not so was gonna get that afterwords maybe if she had not decided by sale date

• Options
    KeroanKeroan Chicago, IllinoisRegistered User regular
    You cooooooooould buy them outside the con, but there are never any guarantees about price or availability (more are obviously going to be available in the afternoon). Not to mention the fact that it's the used game conundrum; any of the money you spend on tickets is supporting some weird shouting dude outside the convention, not anyone in the convention itself. Personally, like a video game that I love, I only buy from the source so I know I'm supporting the thing I love with real dollars.

• Options
    yes obviously this would be my 1st choice I just didnt know if worse came to worse if there actually were other ways to get them. Looking online looks like there is a reddit never used that before but worth a try also there is a few people selling them on stubhub for a fair price so that could be something to look into for east as well. Neither of them are face but fairly close reddit is around 30.00 over and stubhub is around 60-70 over

• Options
    rascrush wrote: »
    yes obviously this would be my 1st choice I just didnt know if worse came to worse if there actually were other ways to get them. Looking online looks like there is a reddit never used that before but worth a try also there is a few people selling them on stubhub for a fair price so that could be something to look into for east as well. Neither of them are face but fairly close reddit is around 30.00 over and stubhub is around 60-70 over

I would be very nervous about any of those options - tickets are only mailed out a week or two before the actual event and so what you are purchasing really isn't anything but a promise. That is why they are against Ebay's TOS for the most part. People have definitely purchased them from those areas, I'm sure, but I would go in with your eyes open and be aware of what you're getting.

• Options
    ItaraItara Registered User regular
    Last year was my 1st PAX East and we stayed in a hotel that was not close and the shuttle was not very reliable. So, this year we are hoping to get something much closer (if not one of the big 3). What would you pros suggest? What is the best bang for our buck?

• Options
    InfiniteNuLLInfiniteNuLL Registered User regular
    Itara wrote: »
    Last year was my 1st PAX East and we stayed in a hotel that was not close and the shuttle was not very reliable. So, this year we are hoping to get something much closer (if not one of the big 3). What would you pros suggest? What is the best bang for our buck?
    I stayed at Embassy Suites with a group of friends for my first time last year. Shuttle was there first thing in the morning, left when all the others did.

FF14 - Failia Zebonaiza, Behemoth Server, FC: 404 Guild Not Found
    PAX East Attendee - 2015, 2016
  • Options
    jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    I've stayed at the Omni Parker for the last two years and loved it. Shuttle was reliable and it's close to Starbucks, DD, several fast food restaurants, and several nice sit down restaurants. Not to mention that the commons is right near there for a nice walk (well, if it's not raining or snowing :)

• Options
    I always stay at the Hilton Doubletree in Chinatown. A very reasonable walk and right next to the red line subway; it does take a bit to get to the convention center but it's not horrible and it's very reasonably priced! Generally the shuttles fill up too much at the "far" hotels so if you're anywhere close to the convention, I would avoid them. Even at the doubletree, we couldn't find a space.

• Options
    zwitterionzwitterion Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Can someone post a link to the PAX sellout times for badges? Never been to East, but trying to figure out how quickly the badges fly off the shelves. My norm is Prime and nothing is worse than that for having to be on the ball, just need to know what I am up against.

Edit: never mind, I found it on reddit. Looks like hours for Sat and days for others.

zwitterion on
  • Options
    PurpleBekPurpleBek Manchester, EnglandRegistered User regular
    More like hours for everything these days..

pax%20sig.png
  • Options
    Just in case anyone else needs it... PAX Sellout Spreadsheet

• Options
    blAAAm!!!blAAAm!!! Cleveland, OhioRegistered User regular
    jdixon1972 wrote: »
    I've stayed at the Omni Parker for the last two years and loved it. Shuttle was reliable and it's close to Starbucks, DD, several fast food restaurants, and several nice sit down restaurants. Not to mention that the commons is right near there for a nice walk (well, if it's not raining or snowing :)

The Omni is my favorite place to stay at. First, its in an awesome area. There is a 24Hour Wallgreens right nextdoor that even has a decent sized selection of booze. Also Its really close to walk to a lot of cool area's and to eat at a of good places. Another good thing is with the Shuttles, the past 2 years the shuttle for the Omni only had one other stop and there was always room to get on.

• Options
    CabadrinCabadrin Boston, MARegistered User regular
    One thing to note, Boston is a small city. I don't mean population, I mean city size. I live in the city itself, in the suburbs, and I'm only 6-7 miles away from the center- about 5 from the BCEC. It's only 0.7 miles from South Station, and about 1 mile from a lot of downtown hotels. Yeah, the Renaissance / Westin / Seaport are great for location, but if you want to save some cash, downtown hotels are pretty good.

e2TtnRd.png
  • Options
    TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    Cabadrin wrote: »
    One thing to note, Boston is a small city. I don't mean population, I mean city size. I live in the city itself, in the suburbs, and I'm only 6-7 miles away from the center- about 5 from the BCEC. It's only 0.7 miles from South Station, and about 1 mile from a lot of downtown hotels. Yeah, the Renaissance / Westin / Seaport are great for location, but if you want to save some cash, downtown hotels are pretty good.

You're completely right but in a city, that short distance can turn into a solid chunk of time too. Personally, I try to book anything that can get me to the red or silver lines fast.

• Options
    Keep in mind that the Silver line especially is crowded during "rush hour" when everyone is trying to get to/out of the convention center at the same time. If you travel during "non-peak" hours (like staying late or coming later), it's not that bad at all.

• Options
    ItaraItara Registered User regular
    I'm more concerned with being close (walkable if possible) than inexpensive. Obviously I'd prefer to find a good balance of the two but I know that the closer you get, the more you have to pay. I just had a really bad experience last year where I missed the panel that I was most excited for at the whole convention because the shuttle never came and then the taxi we called took us to the wrong place. We even planned to be at the convention like 2 hours early and still missed it.

• Options
    jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    I was worried about missing things because of staying at the Omni, but my system worked. Friday and Saturday I basically stayed at the event the whole day. Remember, there is the handheld lounge. I rested there, played some 3ds/vita, and took naps at various times of the day. You can never fully plan every part of your trip, but the shuttles to/from the Omni are fairly consistent, but always leave a 30/45 min. window. And no, i'm not a rep for the Omni. I like them but i'd drop 'em like a hot rock if I have any shot at the Westin :)

• Options
    Jigglypuff510Jigglypuff510 Registered User regular
    I can hopefully get the passes when their announced at least there's reddit if not

TbjrD9q.png
  • Options
    VGguy49VGguy49 Registered User regular
    They probably won't be announced, maybe what week they will be sold but not what day

Wishes he could change his username
  • Options
    PurpleBekPurpleBek Manchester, EnglandRegistered User regular
    I think jiggly means when they're literately announced, as in, go buy now, but as on Monday I'll be f5 and twitter stalking like crazy

pax%20sig.png
  • Options
    Bunta_FujiwaraBunta_Fujiwara Albany, NYRegistered User regular
    PurpleBek wrote: »
    I think jiggly means when they're literately announced, as in, go buy now, but as on Monday I'll be f5 and twitter stalking like crazy

This, November/December are going to be so damn tense. My job doesn't allow for F5ing. I've been lucky the past couple years I was off the day they went up.

zmYaVYP.png
  • Options
    just keep waiting just keep waiting. Last year they went on sale at 4pm just pray that is not the case this year as I normally work at 4pm or 5pm but changes every day worse comes to worse i get the text on the way to work pull the link up on my phone then run home and tell work i am gonna be late

• Options
    SpaghettoSpaghetto Registered User regular
    1. I know the current Expo Hall is the largest in Boston, but have you considered hosting it else where (still in New England) I was told there is a bigger Expo Hall in Providence, and considering how nice the city is there, I would expect the Expo Hall to be just as nice). Its just gotten so big, I remember a few years ago, 3-Day passes didn't sell out for a couple of days, and Saturdays at least a week or so. Now they sell out in minutes, it's crazy.

2. Will the Rock Band Stage be upgraded to Rock Band 4?

• Options
    I believe they are locked into a contract with this place for a few more years at least so changing the venue i dont think will happen anytime soon

• Options
    SkrepoSkrepo Registered User regular
    Providence is a smaller convention center. It's about the same size as the Hynes, if not smaller. Rascrush is correct that they have a multi-year contract with the MCCA.

• Options
    klzklz Registered User regular
    They said it was a 10 year contract that was signed after it moved to the BCEC. No real details, but even assuming the 2011 event was the first year, it will be there until 2021 at the least.

Is there a different center than the RICC in Providence you are thinking of? According to their own site at http://www.riconvention.com/meeting-planners/facility-overview they show 100,000 sq feet of exhibition space.

It's small compared to the BCEC's combined 516,000 sq feet used for he show floor, the queue room, BYOC and Tabletop. http://www.signatureboston.com/BCEC/Floor-Plans-and-Specs/Exhibit-Space.aspx

I seem to recall discussions in past years showed the only other space on the east coast that was similar in size was in Orlando.

• Options
    monkoshmonkosh NYCRegistered User regular
    It seems there are 3 other cities that could compete with Boston for PAX East: New York with Jacob K. Javits Convention Center, Washington, DC with Walter E. Washington Convention Center, and Philadelphia with Pennsylvania Convention Center. All of them are bigger than Boston Convention & Exhibition Center and located in or near downtown within an easily traveled to city if it be airplane, bus, or train. I would think DC and Philadelphia are the best candidates to replace Boston if that happens.

iec5nehi4ot3.png
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    I sincerely doubt they'll move it unless it's for weather. Boston is pretty much THE nerdy city in the northeast.

• Options
    VGguy49VGguy49 Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    PAX East has been in Boston for a while, and it has 7ish more years

VGguy49 on
    Wishes he could change his username
  • Options
    flaznarflaznar Registered User regular
  • Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative zerzhul. Closing thread...

This discussion has been closed.