As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

VROOOM PSH VRROOOOOM [Car thread]

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    i know the M2 is matter of factly awesome. i have some time to think about it. i could buy a JCW outright though, whereas I would more than likely have to lease a properly equipped M2... + the JCW fits my taste profile of "small and a little weird"

Remember you won't be looking at the M2 while driving it. ;)

Damn jeep is having slow cranking issues. Battery and alternator check out. Time to clean all the connections and make sure they are tight. If that doesn't fix it more than likely it's the starter.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    Get the JCW, join ussssss.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    So last fall right before winter set in I bought a Mustang GT convertible. Basically drove it for a month and then put her into storage.

And today I dug her out and drove around a little bit.

I don't remember the handling being the kind of crap that it is. Bump steer all over the place, uneven braking, sometimes one side pulls when braking and sometimes the other. A more awful handling car than I remember.

On the other end, it sounds sooo good. And is convertible. And last fall when driving it on the freeway, some chick flashed her boobies at me.

• Options
    edited May 2016

On the other end, it sounds sooo good. And is convertible. And last fall when driving it on the freeway, some chick flashed her boobies at me.

I'd say that pretty much defines why someone wants to get a convertible mustang. Can't really fault the logic.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    So last fall right before winter set in I bought a Mustang GT convertible. Basically drove it for a month and then put her into storage.

I don't remember the handling being the kind of crap that it is. Bump steer all over the place, uneven braking, sometimes one side pulls when braking and sometimes the other. A more awful handling car than I remember.

Okay so a Mustang might not quite be a Lotus Exige S, but that handling doesn't sound right at all. Especially the car pulling under brakes, and inconsistently at that.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Seriously, mine doesn't do any of that. Definitely take it to the mechanic and have them look at it.

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Yeah, I drove a late 90s Camaro for 5 years and it wasn't that bad. Although, bump steer is kind of a thing with the live axle pony cars. Just gotta learn to read the road surface ahead before nailing the throttle in a turn.

Edit: Wikipedia says that what I was experiencing is actually called roll steer and not bump steer. I learned a new thing!

mRahmani on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular

Okay so a Mustang might not quite be a Lotus Exige S, but that handling doesn't sound right at all. Especially the car pulling under brakes, and inconsistently at that.

Method of storage could have been a little careless :s

I remember the mustang I rented impressing me with it's braking and steering. This is a new mustang isn't it?

• Options
    If it's a 15 or newer, the brakes are actually pretty good. The regular GT got the BOSS brakes and the Performance Package got the GT 500 brakes. Those things are amazing.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

I remember the mustang I rented impressing me with it's braking and steering. This is a new mustang isn't it?

It kind of sounds to me like maybe a shock absorber has failed while it was in storage?

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    This is a BMW that I would totally buy. Based on the new M2.

hzhYcyl.png

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    That's vicious looking, I kinda like it. I'm not really a bimmer guy but I'd drive it.

• Options
    Too many creases. I feel that they took the original, printed out a picture, crumpled it up and used that for inspiration.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    I agree - I was going to write, "assuming they dial back a bit of the aggressiveness for a production version," but I'm not actually sure that's going to happen or if it will really be available. It's a tribute to the old 2002.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    edited May 2016

No. It's a MY2000.

Do I have to be looking at something like this:
    http://www.americanmuscle.com/bumpsteer-kit.html

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Six wrote: »
    This is a BMW that I would totally buy. Based on the new M2.

hzhYcyl.png

Something I would drive when I was 18 and carried around planks to get me over curbs and speed bumps.

• Options
    edited May 2016

No. It's a MY2000.

Do I have to be looking at something like this:
    http://www.americanmuscle.com/bumpsteer-kit.html

I would check that the standard suspension is working properly first, from your post it seems like this problem is a recent thing that you noticed after the car was stored.
    Or has it always been bad? How is your alignment?

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    SN95 Mustangs are going to be somewhat sloppy by nature, but I would still check the suspension and brakes after sitting in storage. Check for blown shocks, sticking caliper pins, anything that can make the car behave inconsistently. Also, at 16 years old the car probably needs fresh bushings throughout the suspension if it doesn't already have them.

• Options
    It's pretty safe to say that at 16 years old the car needs new suspension parts if it hasn't gotten then previously. between age and wear they are going to be worn out.

• Options
    When I changed the oil, I did a visual inspection of the shocks, and springs, and sway bar bushings, but nothing looked bad. I'll take another look in one of the upcoming weekends.

Re sloppiness: a buddy of mine had an old Mustang II from like 1976 or whatever (go ahead and laugh), and it reminds me of that. I guess I expected more of Ford in 20 years, especially for the Mustangs, which is a staple of theirs.

I don't remember because it's been 6 or 7 months, and I didn't get a chance to really drive her. I barely got a nice, juicy fart on the seat to mark the car as mine before it got too cold for the convertible, here in MN. The ride very well could have been crappy, but with only a month of weekends to drive it, that's definitely not time to really get a feel for the car. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on her.

There were 65k miles on her, and since it was the end of the season, I got one hell of a deal.

• Options
    It's got the 4.6 litre motor in it, right?

• Options
    Indeed. SOHC.

• Options
    The convertible model is supposed to have subframe connectors to help stiffen up the chassis front to rear, have yours been taken off at some point and not refitted?

• Options
    Nope. Can confirm those are there.

I'm thinking poor alignment and shitty/old suspension.

Would braking while hitting bumps, thus getting the bumpsteer may be a cause of uneven braking? It's not a thing that happens regularly, so don't get the wrong idea. But it seems to be more like an actual pony where I have to spend more effort steering and controlling it than I do other cars I've had.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    How long should summer tires last?
    Mine were supposed to be brand new when I started my lease, and now they've put about 17k km on them and my Honda dealer is telling me they're not fit for use anymore.
    I've never skidded with them either accelerating or decelerating, and am wondering how tenaciously I should fight for them to be replaced at the dealer's expense.

• Options
    The road surface will definitely affect how the car behaves under braking, yeah. Hitting bumps especially so. But while the wheel might wiggle in your hands and the car move around on its suspension a bit, it should still go in a pretty straight line.

• Options
    How long since the brakes were last done, and how many miles on the car? I might be just time for new brakes and rotors.

My Jeep's starter did turn out to be the culprit. Pulled the old one out and tested it. It shuddered a little bit but didn't spin up. Got the new one in without any issue and put it all back together. Fired her up and the engine was turned over so fast I didn't even hear it crank. I turned the key then pretty much instantaneous idle. Previously it was like craaank........craaaaaaaaaaank......craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaank then it would fire up.

I'm quite pleased.

• Options
    What's the treadwear rating, Psykoma?
    I may not know Mustangs, but I know a little bit about tires!!

I'll keep experimenting, Chris. Until it plunges me into dangerous situations. Ride is still ass though.

• Options
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Mine were supposed to be brand new when I started my lease, and now they've put about 17k km on them and my Honda dealer is telling me they're not fit for use anymore.
    I've never skidded with them either accelerating or decelerating, and am wondering how tenaciously I should fight for them to be replaced at the dealer's expense.

It depends on exactly what they mean by "not fit for use". If the tread is worn down then I would want an explanation as to why from Honda, tyres should get at least 50% more life than that in my opinion.

• Options
    Psykoma wrote: »

It depends on exactly what they mean by "not fit for use". If the tread is worn down then I would want an explanation as to why from Honda, tyres should get at least 50% more life than that in my opinion.

No kidding. Even then most normal summer tires should be good for 45k-50k kilometers unless they are made of super sticky "r" compound. As long as their is enough tread you should be fine.

Now maybe the alignment is off and one of them is bald on the shoulder, and the rest are too worn down to throw a new tire into the mix.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    If the tread is half a matchhead deep or more, you're fine. There should be shallower 'indication' treads, when those disappear, then you need newies.

• Options
    I mean, maybe they've got eggs all over the inner sidewalls or something, could have been a bad batch of tyres from the factory.
    Honda would be on the hook to replace them in that case, though. It would be a recall.

• Options
    What's the treadwear rating, Psykoma?
    I may not know Mustangs, but I know a little bit about tires!!

I'll keep experimenting, Chris. Until it plunges me into dangerous situations. Ride is still ass though.

Dangerous situations, you say?

Well, first we're gonna put a 5.4 litre stroker kit through your engine, and swap in the 4v heads.

Then comes the supercharger and nitrous...

• Options
    In my 07 Mustang, if I even hit like an expansion joint under braking, it would feel like the brakes were going out. I think the ABS thought something was wrong and would engage, regardless of speed.

• Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    well if the tire is in the air, and you're on the brakes, it will lock up. lock up = ABS go

• Options
    Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    Ha, the Figaro chose to blow a coolant hose one block from the shop I was taking it to for post-winter storage fluid changes which I guess is pretty good timing for that. I also wanted them to look for any problems from aged parts (my importer went over it thoroughly and already replaced a few things before I got it but you never know) and I guess that stuff is easier to find when it blows up.

Now I'm going to have to clean the engine bay up, sigh.

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    This is the weekend I put the 3" exhaust on my car finally. No slip on garbage though. This is a full catback, married to the already 3" downpipe.

Gonna make some nooooooooise.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    @Decius you'll be able to partake in my favorite pastime, "Subaru at idle (Saabaru in this case, right?) or helicopter?"

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Yes Saabaru. I will finally be able to sing the song of my people.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    These are the tires:
    This seemed to be a reasonable representation of the general tread depth
    tVPBZGZ.jpg
    MLG56FI.jpg

And the information printed on the tyre; I don't know which or if any are relevant to this
    Y4fLExK.jpg
    z6cQm33.jpg
    I0lQY2I.jpg

Psykoma on
This discussion has been closed.