As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

More DnD art

LyricalLyrical Registered User regular
edited May 2018 in Artist's Corner
I've been experiencing another springtime of drawing in my life, and that seasonal rhythm dictates that I eventually return here in search of critique and inspiration.

Brief background: I have a (useless) liberal arts degree in sculpture. I did about half of an M.Arch before dropping out. I grow produce for a living. My artistic ambitions are focused on creator-owned projects (I lack the emotional fortitude for creative freelancing.) Some artists I admire are Zak Smith, Eddie Campbell, Heather Gwinn, Cedric Plante. I like looking at things that feel extemporaneous or even naive, or that juxtapose beauty and other non-beauty concepts.

I draw mostly with pens--either felt-tipped multiliners or rapidographs--and have a preference against doing erasable underdrawings. I work very iteratively, and recycle lots of barely-begun drawings. I often warm up by following timed recorded life drawing sessions from youtube, or by drawing my family around the house. Other than that, I rarely draw directly from reference. I re-read my Loomis books a lot. I have to look through the backside of the paper pretty often or my drawings develop a strong skew toward the upper right. I suffer from a lack of patience when drawing.

Here are some warm-up sketches I've done recently, 2-5 minute poses:
m8u2bhvypopv.jpg
9uwulktjv3wz.jpg

Some other figures from imagination:
azs299j0kj6f.jpg
nb4cawcvjdu1.jpg

Then here's some things closer to what I'm trying for as a finished product (part of a map card project for Dungeon World):
b6y22yhzf8j0.jpg

ic63p6bvknvz.jpg
w2fcd1stbbqo.jpg
qtlcdg3u0l05.jpg
t2tdyeo343vf.jpg
n5gamgb50ux4.jpg
ej6szvp3ap0v.jpg
uwhqxxiimvm1.png
z9xr5v5ni8bh.png
l4sxgkzbxumm.jpg

Thanks!
Dirk

Lyrical on

• Options
    Some Gibson studies and some bird ladies.

sba9c3kcx8ez.jpg
    6lrnhepyqcgz.jpg

y9iqa1rwlu7l.jpg
    ym01v8rx5j1z.jpg
    on studies

• Options
    t08jlincpbfe.jpg

Battle chicken I'm working on. Trying to figure out how to introduce more areas of black, having a hard time with it.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Love that chicken.

Your eyes seem to be a bit flat on the face in some of your drawings, I would spend a little while looking more carefully at their form and maybe reigning in your strokes around the area to better describe whats going on.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Battle chicken is amazing. I showed it to one of my players and now he is trying to roll a gnome chicken chevalier for his next character in pathfinder.

• Options
    Thanks guys! And thanks for calling my attention to the eyes, I've been trying to treat them more carefully.

Here's a stack of vignettes and characters I've been working on for a game I'm running:
    kt8y2qskl1qa.jpg

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    T-that robot! To do list:
    • Scythe something
    • grab them and stab??
    • Smash them!
    • Earn my forever love <3