As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BattleBots] - A New Dawn in the East: King of Bots

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    So Bite Force isn't the champion then.

That's how I read it.

SELECTED NOT ELECTED!

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Emissary42 wrote: »
    One thing that's been zeroed-in on elsewhere on the internet is this part of the rules:
    c. Weapons Whether it’s a flipper, pounder, whacker, grabber or whatever, your bot must have at least one powered weapon that can seriously affect the operation of another BattleBot. Bring spares and/or alternate (modular) weapons. If your bot does not enter the arena with a functional weapon, you will forfeit your match.

Had the safety/rules crew been more on top of things, then Bite Force's alternate wedge configuration may have never seen the arena.

I know you put great stock in them, but I gotta tell you I'm really skeptical about the rules crew's legitimacy dude.

Like, bite force deployed with a hitherto unseen configuration that had an almost completely worthless weapon (which could have very well passed considering the vague description of "seriously affect"), and earlier then that one of the teams was allowed to bring in a "present" that contained a pretty clear rules violation.

Either they're incompetent or they just don't give a shit IMHO.

• Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    One thing that's been zeroed-in on elsewhere on the internet is this part of the rules:
    c. Weapons Whether it’s a flipper, pounder, whacker, grabber or whatever, your bot must have at least one powered weapon that can seriously affect the operation of another BattleBot. Bring spares and/or alternate (modular) weapons. If your bot does not enter the arena with a functional weapon, you will forfeit your match.

Had the safety/rules crew been more on top of things, then Bite Force's alternate wedge configuration may have never seen the arena.

I know you put great stock in them, but I gotta tell you I'm really skeptical about the rules crew's legitimacy dude.

Like, bite force deployed with a hitherto unseen configuration that had an almost completely worthless weapon (which could have very well passed considering the vague description of "seriously affect"), and earlier then that one of the teams was allowed to bring in a "present" that contained a pretty clear rules violation.

We can't be certain, but it's possible having different or inexperienced staff may have had something to do with it. I agree that Complete Control's present is likely a good indicator that something was up with rules enforcement this tournament.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular

We can't be certain, but it's possible having different or inexperienced staff may have had something to do with it. I agree that Complete Control's present is likely a good indicator that something was up with rules enforcement this tournament.

Any competent judge's first question would have been "what's in the box" and the Complete Control fight never would have even started. I think part of the problem is the god awful reality show trappings of Battlebots. They're allowing complete bullshit to happen just to keep people talking about the show instead of just delivering a quality robot fighting show.

People don't tune in to watch bullshit, they tune in to see Bronco launch robots into orbit, Bite Force to german suplex the absolute shit out of something, for Tombstone to gut a fucker. That shit sells itself and the rest of the show should be in support of that, not a boring, annoying slog to sit through.

(Insert Battlebots style Se7en meme here.)

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    ExileExile Registered User regular
    I think it would have been better and seen less of a problem with biteforce's wedge if, (as someone else mentioned), it had cutouts where his grabber thing would have fit. So he would have had an actual offensive weapon. Not just having the half they left on, flapping around like a flag.

But
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    By discouraged you mean result in disqualification? Because fuck wedgebots.
    Tough but fair. Is also exceptable.

I'm going to need a new Gun. Also one for the police girl.
    But I already have a gun.
    Get that bitch a cannon. Bitches love cannons.
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    the god awful reality show trappings of Battlebots

This is what will get this show cancelled.

Might not be now after this first season, but making it 30 minutes of reality show with 10 minutes of robot fighting will knock it off the air.

• Options
    That was actually one of the best things about the Robot wars series; sure they had interviews and such, but they knew people were there to see glorious combat between RC cars with flippers and axes and kept the attention on that.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    At least now I don't have to see previews for the rest of ABC's god awful line up of shows until Castle comes back.

Seriously Dr Ken? What the fuck ABC?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Exile wrote: »
    I think it would have been better and seen less of a problem with biteforce's wedge if, (as someone else mentioned), it had cutouts where his grabber thing would have fit. So he would have had an actual offensive weapon. Not just having the half they left on, flapping around like a flag.

But
    By discouraged you mean result in disqualification? Because fuck wedgebots.
    Tough but fair. Is also exceptable.

Yes while the grabber was not the best offensive weapon it clearly was an offensive weapon and was used to some effect to win matches. In the final match they completly removed any capability for it to actually work as a weapon and was basically just turned into a wedge bot with a self righting mechanism. Even with tombstone totally disabled they still could not use what was left of the grabber to do anything to it even though they tried.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Spilering the episode because it's the semi final and final but oh my God

this is literally the first season of Last Comic Standing. Literally, both literally and figuratively.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xiWw5dwngc

Seriously fuck it, if this is what they'll allow. No wedges, they said, they're boring, they said, but when the final happens boom, a fucking wedge and a judges decision.

Bite Force is not a champion. I know this means nothing coming from someone who never built a robot and isn't super deep into robot fighting but fuck it, I know how to build a damn thick wedge and stick it to an RC car. I'll even use an RC car with tracks that make it kewl.

Hell, when it comes to finals, let them fight till one can't continue, play Wimbledon rules, no judges or timer. A part of me feels like Tobstone would have won if it kept going because the guy was an actual aggressive driver even with the smoke.

The bronco/tombstone match was really good because even if tombstone did a dumb thing by attacking during the countdown, hell, he gets points for being aggressive all the time. And Bronco simply didn't practice enough with the new lift to really make it work (as seen by trying to flip back.

Fucking Ghost Raptor, I'd rather there be a straight disqualification for not fixing the damn blade weapon.

The grudge match shows the crime of not giving Nightmare a wildcard, it did better than both bots who got to the QFs.

But seriously, no more wedges. I don't care if it's the secondary weapon, no wedges. Enforce it like a mofo. Finals should not be one of the worst matches in the entire series.

The salt is so real.
    Wedge bots are not invincible. Spinners, in fact, are intended to counter them - but that comes down to driving, and guess what? Tombstone didn't have the better of the two drivers. If it did, it would've approached more cautiously and aimed for more side shots.

Nightmare somehow deserved a bye? Are you for real? That is one of the mostly poorly designed combatants there is. Yes, it's nice and flashy, but it very seldom actually ever wins, and it's drivers have never been the best. Why should we be rewarding designs & driving that don't demonstrate the top level of competitiveness?

It's not different than hating zoning character in fighting games because all you like to see are the 'exciting' rush down characters, even though most pure rushdown matches aren't nearly as technical as zoning matches, or hating the technical approach to modern boxing because it's not as bloody & brutal as the George Foreman / Joe Frazier era. Too bad; it turns out that's not actually the best way to fight.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Nightmare was better than Witch Doctor. Flash Fact.

Tombstone was better than Bite Force, because it was actually ready to fight. Flash Fact.

Battlebots moer liek Shambots, Flash Fact.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I what annoys me is that when ghost raptor beat ice wave he still had the functionality of his tool, he just modified it. Same with bronco attempting to beat tombstone, but bite force just literally made a wedge with a self flipper mechanism and only won probably from the damage tombstone self inflicted finishing off bronco. That's lame.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    That was actually one of the best things about the Robot wars series; sure they had interviews and such, but they knew people were there to see glorious combat between RC cars with flippers and axes and kept the attention on that.
    It also helps that Craig Charles was having a god damn ball every episode. His announcing was just honest hype and fun start to finish.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I what annoys me is that when ghost raptor beat ice wave he still had the functionality of his tool, he just modified it. Same with bronco attempting to beat tombstone, but bite force just literally made a wedge with a self flipper mechanism and only won probably from the damage tombstone self inflicted finishing off bronco. That's lame.

ya live by the spinner, ya die by the spinner

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    the winner of battlebots should still be tombstone because tombstone defeated itself.

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    Tombstone remains the champion of my heart, no amount of steel welded onto the front of a bot will change that.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    so much salt

so much

saltybots

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    the winner of battlebots should still be tombstone because tombstone defeated itself.

Tombstone's defeat of Witchdoctor was basically a coinflip, where Witchdoctor was the coin. If it had come up heads, then Tombstone would have lost instead.

It's hard to say that Tombstone deserves anything after that.

• Options
    If tombstone would have lost bronco would have beaten witch doctor like nothing. Again.

And then it would make Trite Force force look like nothing too.

So Bronco is the best robot, Bronco is the champion.

• Options
    Yes while the grabber was not the best offensive weapon it clearly was an offensive weapon and was used to some effect to win matches. In the final match they completly removed any capability for it to actually work as a weapon and was basically just turned into a wedge bot with a self righting mechanism. Even with tombstone totally disabled they still could not use what was left of the grabber to do anything to it even though they tried.

'Big steel plate used as a ram' is still a weapon last time I checked. Maybe it's not the most popular or spectacle-inducing weapon ever, but it's still a weapon - and one used to great effect in that last match, winning the Battle Bots championship.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    If tombstone would have lost bronco would have beaten witch doctor like nothing. Again.

And then it would make Trite Force force look like nothing too.

So Bronco is the best robot, Bronco is the champion.

Well, sure, but if it had won all of it's matches, Radioactive would have been champion.
    Doesn't mean he went home with a nut.

• Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    I see this season of Battlebots like the first season of Face/Off, if anyone here watches that. First season, it had tons of drama, basic reality show trappings, but after that, they dialed that WAY back, and just had the amazing makeups.

FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    Also, side note is this what it's like being an actual sports fan?

FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Dragon6860 wrote: »
    Also, side note is this what it's like being an actual sports fan?

if by that you mean "oddly strong personal investment generally resulting in pointless unending bickering"

Yeah, that about sums it up :P

• Options
    edited July 2015
    "Well, they didn't EARN that win!"

"Well, at least MY team was fun to watch! That's what the game is REALLY all about anyway!"

"Refs are the ones who REALLY decided that game. And you know those guys are paid-off anyway..."

...Yeah, I'd say it's a fair comparison.

EDIT: Just wait 'til we get to the Monday night bot piloting.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    For those who didn't see it:
    11800462_10153019267366406_315984109014595503_n.jpg?oh=23ac269e279a6822954d75ec465e968e&oe=5656C16D

Tombstone won the Most Destructive Robot bolt, and by competitors' choice Warhead won the Best Designer bolt.

• Options
    The Ender wrote: »
    "Well, they didn't EARN that win!"

"Well, at least MY team was fun to watch! That's what the game is REALLY all about anyway!"

"Refs are the ones who REALLY decided that game. And you know those guys are paid-off anyway..."

...Yeah, I'd say it's a fair comparison.

EDIT: Just wait 'til we get to the Monday night bot piloting.

Fantasy Battlebots.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    For those who didn't see it:
    11800462_10153019267366406_315984109014595503_n.jpg?oh=23ac269e279a6822954d75ec465e968e&oe=5656C16D

Tombstone won the Most Destructive Robot bolt, and by competitors' choice Warhead won the Best Designer bolt.

Those bolts are pretty thick, and have some nice ridges.

I will be disappointed if at least one of them isn't converted into a bot weapon for next season.

With Love and Courage
  • Options

'Big steel plate used as a ram' is still a weapon last time I checked. Maybe it's not the most popular or spectacle-inducing weapon ever, but it's still a weapon - and one used to great effect in that last match, winning the Battle Bots championship.

It's also a clear violation of the active weapon mandate.

• Options

It had an active weapon system. It was not what primarily did the damage, but there's no rule saying that the primary weapon 100% must be the thing that takes out the other 'bot.

Maybe next season you will get your shell spinner vs Nightmare championship that will last all of 5 exciting seconds (Nightmare will lose said championship btw). This time around, a wedge took home the trophy by beating-up Tombstone.

Deal wit dat.

:snap:

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    It had a non-functional weapon system, missing a third of it. Essentially a glorified self-righting system. Being able to wiggle it doesn't mean it's an active weapon, since its original functionality was removed.
    A wedge is a weapon, but so is an assault rifle. Neither is allowed by the rules, and the fact that here it was just means that the judges weren't paying any attention.

There is such a thing as technically following rules, while going against their purpose. Modular bots that enter with a shitty excuse of a weapon, and convert to wedge bots afterwards should be disqualified for being bleeding obvious about their wankery.

• Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular

It had an active weapon system. It was not what primarily did the damage, but there's no rule saying that the primary weapon 100% must be the thing that takes out the other 'bot.

Maybe next season you will get your shell spinner vs Nightmare championship that will last all of 5 exciting seconds (Nightmare will lose said championship btw). This time around, a wedge took home the trophy by beating-up Tombstone.

Deal wit dat.

:snap:

But did he? Or was Bite Force's win more like Homer Simpson's boxing career? Granted, defensive play isn't the most exciting, but it worked for Bite Force, and it almost worked for Witch Doctor.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Bite Force's crushing weapon was not some afterthought; it literally chewed apart it's competitors on it's way to the final fight. They didn't bring the full thing to the last match because chompers have a terrible match-up against spinners.

Bite Force employed the arm against Tombstone to pin it, twice, after out-driving his competitor. If it had been any other Battle Bots competition the match would've ended after 1 pin - but Tombstone was given extra chances because pins could only be held for a count of 10. The driver failed to exploit those chances (in fairness, his blade was pretty screwed-up after Bite Force's initial attack).

It could be that the competition judges have a different interpretation than you do of what constitutes legitimate use of an active weapon & what constitutes a passive wedge bot. Given that they may have a stronger grasp on the spirit of the rules than a heavily biased spectator, I think I'm happy to go with their ruling here. :P

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    These would be the same judges that let the mystery box into the arena.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Bite Force's crushing weapon was not some afterthought; it literally chewed apart it's competitors on it's way to the final fight. They didn't bring the full thing to the last match because chompers have a terrible match-up against spinners.

Bite Force employed the arm against Tombstone to pin it, twice, after out-driving his competitor. If it had been any other Battle Bots competition the match would've ended after 1 pin - but Tombstone was given extra chances because pins could only be held for a count of 10. The driver failed to exploit those chances (in fairness, his blade was pretty screwed-up after Bite Force's initial attack).

It could be that the competition judges have a different interpretation than you do of what constitutes legitimate use of an active weapon & what constitutes a passive wedge bot. Given that they may have a stronger grasp on the spirit of the rules than a heavily biased spectator, I think I'm happy to go with their ruling here. :P

Hahahah what? The first time they actively used the weapon was with 15 seconds to go. Rewatch the match.

• Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    I mean, sounds like it's mostly arguments about letter-of-the-law vs. spirit-of-the-law (having an active weapon vs actually using it).

Besides, my favorite bot is Supreme Commander Tilford's Mauler (51-50), so I don't really have a dog in this fight anyway.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    Mvrck wrote: »

Hahahah what? The first time they actively used the weapon was with 15 seconds to go. Rewatch the match.

Okay.

Bite Force starts the match with the Pincer raised, presumably ready to clamp on Tombstone in the unlikely event that Tombstone gets on top of Bite Force. Tombstone is unwisely driven straight towards Bite Force, allowing the plow to hit it before the spinner is up to speed. Bite Force attacks the side, and arguably take the match right there with the first hit - angling Tombstone into the arena floor, where Tombstone's now spun-up weapon does visible damage to it's own mechanism (it remains awkwardly cocked to one side throughout the remainder of the match).

Regardless, Bite Force bullies Tombstone into the screw housing of the arena, and at 27~ seconds uses the pincers to secure itself against the floor to resist attempts by Tombstone to get out of the pin. The pincers are then flexed a few times, probably just as a taunt, after it's clear that Tombstone ain't going anywhere.

10 seconds later, the pin is released, and Tombstone gets a second chance. He gets the spinner up to speed this time while Bite Force backs off from the pin, but he cannot find an opening on Bite Force's side and the strikes against the plow aren't effective (probably because of the damage sustained by Tombstone in the opening exchange of the fight). Bite Force gets into his side again because Tombstone's defensive play isn't quite good enough, and again he's bullied into the housing. I was wrong about the second pin - Tombstone is 'merely' mauled and rammed into it multiple times, with Bite Force controlling all of it's movement as it's batteries give out and begin emitting smoke. At about 2:15~, after smashing Tombstone directly into the screws, Bite Force brings the pincers down in an attempt to coup de grace it's defeated opponent by crushing it against the hazard. Tombstone's wheels find a grip, though, and it escapes that fate.

The last exchange appears to damage Bite Force's drive on one side, and it can't do much aside from drive in a circle at this point. Tombstone attempts to take advantage of this situation by trying to bully Bite Force around, but is nearly flipped over at 2:50~ by the pincers, which Bite Force's driver is clearly trying to use as a crude flipper at this point, repeatedly flexing them in an attempt to get under Tombstone. It might be worth noting that Tombstone's spinner is totally dead at this point - the only thing it is capable of doing at all is pushing - and yet the match continues and Tombstone gets to keep trying to fight, despite not even having a 'token' weapon to use.

But yeah, no. Obvs that weapon was just there for show, had no function, and the True Champion was clearly Tombstone (or whatever was left of his smoldering carcass, anyway).

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Personally I found Bronco to be the best bot, but their driving and reaction times were pretty abysmal. They got as far as they did on the strength of their bot.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Personally I found Bronco to be the best bot, but their driving and reaction times were pretty abysmal. They got as far as they did on the strength of their bot.

I have to wonder if there was some sort of charge up time or activation delay in setting off their flipper.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular

While that is true it also is one in theory banned by the rules of no wedge bots. The rules were such where you could not just use a wedge bot but your bot had to have an active weapon to attack with. Biteforce at the end was a pure wedge bot with a self righting mechanism.