As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The JRPG thread. Which E3 JRPG are you most excited for?

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Larlar
    Looks like X it is. I'll get it in ps4 and just remote play if I need to. Thanks for all the suggestions!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ubw5N8iVDHI
    https://youtu.be/ussCHoQttyQ

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    FF7 remake
    if there's one thing we can all agree on, it's that we hate these filthy Neutrals

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Nier 2
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Play the first Final Fantasy.

This man knows what's up.

Original is the best starting point.

Even if it didn't have Caius, the best villain in the series.

Fixing that for you.

Man, what? No. He was crap. Like people say Hope whines too much, but then you have Caius.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    FF7 remake
    who the hell is caius

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Nier 2
    who the hell is caius

Villian from 13-2.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Nier 2
    who the hell is caius

He's just this guy, you know?

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Nier 2
    who the hell is caius

The Final Fantasy Villain who succeeds on everything he sets out to do and actually has an understandable motivation on why he's doing it.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Nier 2
    Eeeeeh, I hesitate to call anything in 13-2 "understandable"

This is the game where a time paradox hacks a super computer after all.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    FF7 remake
    It's not like Caius had these grand schemes to begin with.

His master plan hinged on his opponents being complete and utter dumb fucks.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Nier 2
    who the hell is caius

The Final Fantasy Villain who succeeds on everything he sets out to do and actually has an understandable motivation on why he's doing it.

No, that'd be Kefka.

Caius was a babysitter who basically just had to exist because deus ex!!!1. Like he could literally not do his part wrong in the end

Oh they also tried to shoehorn him into ffxiii's plot.

Also because @Wyborn likes this type of thing:

http://www.destructoid.com/final-fantasy-vi-s-dancing-mad-a-critical-analysis-157570.phtml

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Nier 2
    I don't actually like Kefka too much. I feel like Kuja is the same type of character done better.

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    FF7 remake
    All Final Fantasy villains are bad.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Nier 2
    Radius wrote: »
    All Final Fantasy villains are bad.

Well, if they were good, wouldn't they be the heroes?

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Exdeath is a cool guy and knows what he wants.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    As opposed to a counterfeit Chocobo?

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    FF7 remake
    So I spent yesterday getting all the ultimate weapons in ffx. Chocobo racing and lightning dodging weren't nearly as bad as I thought! Then I quickly broke the game and now tidus does 100k/swing.

• Options
    FF7 remake
    I also started an ff9 save

You want a TRULY hair pulling mini game? Try jump rope

• Options
    Javen wrote: »
    I also started an ff9 save

You want a TRULY hair pulling mini game? Try jump rope

One the less frustrating minigames in FF9.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Larlar
    https://youtu.be/QPeYuDNB-A8

At least you don't have to complete that for someone's ultimate weapon

It will always be there somewhere in the back of your mind though...

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Mario and Luigi x Paper Mario
    my jrpg story of the day: i watched the end of legend of dragoon yesterday and felt like i was losing my mind.

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    FF7 remake
    my jrpg story of the day: i watched the end of legend of dragoon yesterday and felt like i was losing my mind.

Playing it didn't feel any different.

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    I honestly don't remember much about Legend of Dragoon.

I know I beat it. It felt a lot like Power Rangers with dragons and a neat combat system.

And..
    The Black Dragoon is main character's mom. The bad guy is his dad who was the Red Dragoon but became evil for some reason and then the main character becomes the ULTIMATE WHITE DRAGOON and saves everything ever.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Fire Emblem Fates
    Yukira wrote: »

I know I beat it. It felt a lot like Power Rangers with dragons and a neat combat system.

And..
    The Black Dragoon is main character's mom. The bad guy is his dad who was the Red Dragoon but became evil for some reason and then the main character becomes the ULTIMATE WHITE DRAGOON and saves everything ever.

Actually if I remember correctly
    I don't think Rose was just Dart's father's former lover before he settled down for a few decades with his mother until she was killed by something...

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    FF7 remake
    So I decided to just go ahead and beat the game. I figure I can go back later and do all the custom monster stuff and max out spheres etc. Never even set foot inside the omega dungeon

• Options
    BoF-animations so good.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    FF7 remake
    PLA wrote: »
    BoF-animations so good.

Playing BoF4 now, I concur.

It also makes me really miss Capcom's sprite-work. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same people behind something like Darkstalkers. When Nina takes damage, her sprite juts back cartoonishly the exact same way Morrigan does.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Larlar
    3 also had some boss sprite work

young Ryu looking away while he flails at enemies is one of their neat touches

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    I've heard that the actual condition for that animation is which pre-timeskip characters are in the party.

• Options
    Nier 2
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY76h0TiKNk

That's some Valkyrie Profile music and gameplay. I'm very much sold.

• Options
    mageormikemageormike Registered User regular
    Other
    Yeah. I'm still not super sold on the character models, but everything else is hitting all the right buttons.
    Everything from the music, gameplay, framing, backgrounds screams VP; particularly VP1.

I'm back on board.

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    those character models are uglyyyy

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »

And..

I don't think Rose was just Dart's father's former lover before he settled down for a few decades with his mother until she was killed by something...
    Yea Black Dragoon killed the main characters mom. She was not the main character's mom.

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »

And..

Yea Black Dragoon killed the main characters mom. She was not the main character's mom.
    I guess I blended the characters because the story was silly enough I figured that could happen.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Fire Emblem Fates
    Looking at it in action I'm now of the opinion the character models are a bit too thin for my liking.

Also feel like they clash with the backgrounds. Like they don't fit at all.

The music and said backgrounds are still dope though.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Nier 2
    So I decided to pick Bravely Default back up.

Got to chapter 4. I'm a bit more into the story this time, but the job system is frustrating me. It seems like, outside of specific boss battles, the best thing to do is use the three most powerful physical jobs (monk, ranger, pirate) + a healer and ignore the rest. I'd like to use the tank classes more often, but the aggro mechanic is unreliable unless you spend a precious action one one of the few hard taunts (and then keep using it every turn).

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Larlar
    The accessories that freeze your threat level are really spotty, and the dodge gimmick of the Ninja is incredibly unreliable even with the best equipment for it and all your passive skills pumped into dodge increase. The cover mechanic from knights also only works on single physical attacks when bosses increasingly have full party attacks.

Ultimately it's a game built around the idea of doing a bunch of turns in one turn. The entire balance is built around everyone doing a lot of damage to squishy targets. You have to have hard mitigation like a job you will get near the end of chapter 4, or lowering the threat power with the Pirate debuff skills, or just having super good healing to bounce back when half your party dies to one attack.

On the plus side the field just north of Eternia is super crazy good for grinding

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    I just fired up FFV on my Vita last night, it's pretty solid, I'm enjoying more than VI so far

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Nier 2
    Yeah, I got the Templar class, but the physical wall costs BP, so you kinda blow that class' actions on that one move

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    FF7 remake
    Do you have all the classes yet? There are quite a few ways to break the game over your knee with fun and interesting combos.

• Options
    Larlar
    One thing I do find very iffy is how useless magic is. Chapters 1-3 you might make them work out, but after you get the physical jobs of 4 they just don't get close to the crazy damage those can dish out. And since my Wifi is broken I can't get Nemisis enemies in my village, which is the only place you can get the final tier of black magic. Summoning doesn't do enough damage to really justify it either.

VRXwDW7.png
This discussion has been closed.