As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

THE STEAM SALE CANNOT BE STOPPED. UPDATE: IT STOPPED.

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Hey, Fishman, weren't you doing some XCOM thing with Forumers?

Well, yes, but then the Steam Sale happened and I got distracted by Shadows of Mordor. Also, pregnant wife. Been a bit busy.

So is it stopped?

No, in fact I picked it up again last night. I was about to post an update about it now.

Look, I said they'd be infrequent.

Really? Shit, it's been so long I can barely remember what's happening.

Well, it's still early days in the war against the aliens, but we've gone through a few missions and knocked off the first Enemy Within portent. But between that and a rough abduction mission in Mexico, our barracks currently looks like this:

2015-06-08_00162_zpskwrowxw4.jpg

Only three soldiers active and healthy, every one of them a Rookie.

But it's okay, though, because we have more soldiers arriving in 4 days, so what are the chances of the aliens trying something before that?

2015-06-18_00002_zps3vhxmead.jpg

Shit.

I'll be right back.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    On the Humble I have only one recommendation:
    Buy Card City Nights!
    It's great little game made by the Ittle Dew crew and have tons of references to shit they've been involved with, Iji for example.

Panda4You on
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    2015-06-08_00162_zpskwrowxw4.jpg
    If that contact showed up fast enough that Platy still isn't active, you still probably would be able to wait just long enough for them to get out of the med bay and still be able to go for the crash site.
    Also, make sure you give them Squadsight.

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Okay, okay, we can work this out. We shot the UFO down, so we have a couple days before it goes anywhere. Platypus Beirut will be back on active service in 36 hours, so we can wait 'till then to send out a Skyranger and we'll be able to load with 3 rookies and a Squadsight Sniper. Or as I like to refer to it, team Bait & Trap.

2015-06-18_00003_zpsnbt6j4ww.jpg

The other thing about crash mission is they're non-critical. Killing all extra-terrestrials is nice, but realistically, failure won't lead to terror increases, winning won't give you extra scientists or rewards, so you can turn up, look around, walk back on the Skyranger and the only thing you might miss out on is a few pieces of alien tech. Right now, soldiers are worth a lot more to me than alien tech, so while capture of the UFO is good, realistically my objectives are:
    1) Bring everyone back alive
    2) Preferably uninjured if possible
    3) Maybe shoot some soft targets to level the rookies
    4) Snatch anything alien that isn't nailed down (AKA Meld)
    So we'll be sending out @Platypus Beirut, @Darth Waiter, @Houk, and @Iolo as a smash & grab team.

Thus:

Operation Black Mother

Okay, whoever is in charge of these operation names needs to be reviewed, because that's sorta kinda definitely racist.
    Nonetheless, the mission begins well. The crash site is big and open, and even as we discover and capture a Meld canister there's still been no sign of alien survivors.

2015-07-14_00002_zpsvvrwvdw7.jpg

Quaternary objective achieved, we could now pull back and exfil and we'd still be a mission success. But we haven't even seen X-ray yet, so let's look around and make sure that we're not walking away from a milk run where all the UFO occupant died in the crash.

Continuing around the side of the vessel, Iolo hits the jackpot.

2015-08-29_00004_zpsacahiyir.jpg

3 Sectoids, popped and ready to rock. Also, he's fully flanked. Fortunately, he can still pull back to cover.

Unfortunately, this corridor around the side of the ship offers little cover or good approaches.

2015-08-29_00005_zpsa6csbodw.jpg

Rather than taking the risk of charging forward into a hail of plasma fire, the team falls back to the front of the ship, hoping to lure the Sectoids into their sights instead.

That also works... kinda.

2015-08-29_00008_zpsxx5oyfox.jpg

Wait, 4 aliens? And only one of them is a Sectoid? Shit. Shit shit shitshitshit.

Iolo gets explosive on the threat to thin out some numbers.

2015-08-29_00012_zps8og3gwad.jpg

Objective achievement unlocked: Iolo earns a promotion.

Unfortunately, it also wakes everybody else up.

2015-08-29_00015_zpstcz190li.jpg

If they didn't know that we were here before, they definitely do now.

Okay, everyone back to the Skyranger. Tight group, lots of cross cover and overwatch.

2015-08-29_00023_zpsdiy6iqu7.jpg

Crap crap crap crap crap.

2015-08-29_00017_zpsi0nz9eij.jpg

So we're getting chased by a team of Floaters and the surviving Sectoids.

We're falling back to the Skyranger dropping covering fire all the way, and Platy and Iolo manage to put down the Floaters.

Platy also manages to squeeze off a shot to drop another Sectoid.

2015-08-29_00025_zpsry2gyy6d.jpg

... which, naturally enough, is when the Seekers drop right on top of him.

First one...

2015-08-29_00032_zps95wws2tf.jpg

... then the other

2015-08-29_00044_zpsb5qstcrz.jpg

Iolo misses all his Overwatch shots, by the way. Fortunately Waiter and Houk can finish the job.

... which means all the Rookies level up. Nice. Houk celebrates by killing the last Sectoid.

2015-08-29_00049_zpsfoaibckd.jpg

We can definitely pull out now.

But hold on... two Floater, three Sectoids, a pair of Seekers...

... that might be everyone, except for the Outsider. And we still have 2 grenades.

2015-08-29_00051_zps6x7xzjfa.jpg

BOOM goes the Dynamite!

2015-08-29_00053_zpsf4mnmkkf.jpg

And Iolo finishes up from an unexpected direction.

... oh wait, there's one last Floater. Where did he come from?

2015-08-29_00062_zpsbsywwycz.jpg

Oh well, fuck it. Let's just kill the bastard and call it a day.

2015-08-29_00067_zpsu9vje9za.jpg

And the final score....

2015-08-29_00068_zpse0js7qro.jpg

Well, everyone came back alive, All the Rookies levelled up, I got some Meld and a decent haul of Alien Tech...

... I'm sure the fact that I've only got 2 active soldiers for the next 2 days and the fact that most of my veteran troops are not available for the next 1-2 weeks won't bite me in the ass. Yeah.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Hey, if you need another fighter pilot, I'm ready to get out of retirement!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Did someone send me a game?

A game appeared but there was no gift message.

broken image link
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    WOOOOOOOOO!!!

My overwatch misses did not cause a team wipe or colleague termination!

Support it is. Probably a good thing given my accuracy to date...

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Finished off both Hand of Fate and The Talos Principle today.

Hand of Fate is fun until the last few bosses, then it starts to pull some hot bullshit. I ended up just going easy-mode for the last 2-3. The last boss gives you a curse that adds another curse each time you change floors, and one that prevents you from getting any blessings. Fortunately the 'Easy' background has a card that basically lets you reset to 0, getting rid of all blessings, curses, equipment, etc. Once I hit that it was smoother sailing.

The Talos Principle is cool as hell. I definitely saw @Undead Scottsman and @Stilts and @Syphyre popping up with 'hints'. That was cool.

• Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    I am going through ground zeroes again now that I figured I should find some of the tapes

Oh no is this what I think is happening with Skull Face and Paz

Oh noooooooooooooo

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I am going through ground zeroes again now that I figured I should find some of the tapes

Oh noooooooooooooo

It's the Metal Gear for Mature Serious Gamers

• Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    I want over the top bullshit with hand flips and eating tree frogs

Noooooo

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Okay, okay, we can work this out. We shot the UFO down, so we have a couple days before it goes anywhere. Platypus Beirut will be back on active service in 36 hours, so we can wait 'till then to send out a Skyranger and we'll be able to load with 3 rookies and a Squadsight Sniper. Or as I like to refer to it, team Bait & Trap.

The other thing about crash mission is they're non-critical. Killing all extra-terrestrials is nice, but realistically, failure won't lead to terror increases, winning won't give you extra scientists or rewards, so you can turn up, look around, walk back on the Skyranger and the only thing you might miss out on is a few pieces of alien tech. Right now, soldiers are worth a lot more to me than alien tech, so while capture of the UFO is good, realistically my objectives are:
    So we'll be sending out @Platypus Beirut, @Darth Waiter, @Houk, and @Iolo as a smash & grab team.

Thus:

Operation Black Mother

Okay, whoever is in charge of these operation names needs to be reviewed, because that's sorta kinda definitely racist.
    Nonetheless, the mission begins well. The crash site is big and open, and even as we discover and capture a Meld canister there's still been no sign of alien survivors.

Quaternary objective achieved, we could now pull back and exfil and we'd still be a mission success. But we haven't even seen X-ray yet, so let's look around and make sure that we're not walking away from a milk run where all the UFO occupant died in the crash.

3 Sectoids, popped and ready to rock. Also, he's fully flanked. Fortunately, he can still pull back to cover.

Unfortunately, this corridor around the side of the ship offers little cover or good approaches.

Rather than taking the risk of charging forward into a hail of plasma fire, the team falls back to the front of the ship, hoping to lure the Sectoids into their sights instead.

Wait, 4 aliens? And only one of them is a Sectoid? Shit. Shit shit shitshitshit.

Okay, everyone back to the Skyranger. Tight group, lots of cross cover and overwatch.

We're falling back to the Skyranger dropping covering fire all the way, and Platy and Iolo manage to put down the Floaters.

First one...

... then the other

Iolo misses all his Overwatch shots, by the way. Fortunately Waiter and Houk can finish the job.

... which means all the Rookies level up. Nice. Houk celebrates by killing the last Sectoid.

... that might be everyone, except for the Outsider. And we still have 2 grenades.

BOOM goes the Dynamite!

And the final score....

Well, everyone came back alive, All the Rookies levelled up, I got some Meld and a decent haul of Alien Tech...

... I'm sure the fact that I've only got 2 active soldiers for the next 2 days and the fact that most of my veteran troops are not available for the next 1-2 weeks won't bite me in the ass. Yeah.

If the new resourcesrecruits still need to be named, I'd be happy to throw my hat into the ring.

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I want over the top bullshit with hand flips and eating tree frogs

Noooooo

Oh don't think that terrible disgusting nonsense and hand flipping pants shitting jokey jokes can't exist in the same Metal Gear game

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I thought I bought the Secret World on Steam but it turns out I bought it on...I dunno. I own it though, as of like, three years ago

Well, get your account set up and start playing it, Geebs! I bet there's still some Animorph-related character names that aren't taken.

rqjjxf8brzbl.jpg

note: I have no idea if this is going to be playable on this trashy laptop

I hope it runs for you but it's not a very well-optimized game.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

Oh noooooooooooooo

it gets worse

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Oh jeez, I came up to a difficult decision in Shadowrun Dragonfall

(late game stuff)
    I need to decide if APEX lives or dies

On the one hand, she's a terrifyingly powerful AI

On the other hand, she says she wants to protect the Flux State, and I believe her

On the other other hand, how long does it take for her to come to the conclusion that the greatest threat to the Flux State are the people in it

On the other other other hand, she's a living thing and deserves the chance to prove herself

Decisions are hard!

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I thought I bought the Secret World on Steam but it turns out I bought it on...I dunno. I own it though, as of like, three years ago

Well, get your account set up and start playing it, Geebs! I bet there's still some Animorph-related character names that aren't taken.

rqjjxf8brzbl.jpg

it runs well enough to do basic missions and stuff

I don't think I'm gonna be doing high end raids or whatever the equivalent of high end raids are in the secret world (to be honest I wouldn't be doing those on a good computer, probably)

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

(late game stuff)

On the other hand, she says she wants to protect the Flux State, and I believe her

On the other other hand, how long does it take for her to come to the conclusion that the greatest threat to the Flux State are the people in it

On the other other other hand, she's a living thing and deserves the chance to prove herself

Decisions are hard!
    Personally, I think APEX is a homicidal monster who is trying to trick you

And really the benefits you get for helping her are mostly negligible

But it does give you a hilariously awful option for the end game

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

rqjjxf8brzbl.jpg

it runs well enough to do basic missions and stuff

I don't think I'm gonna be doing high end raids or whatever the equivalent of high end raids are in the secret world (to be honest I wouldn't be doing those on a good computer, probably)

Even I hardly do the raids, but next time I do I'll pour out a forty for you.

PiptheFair wrote: »

Oh noooooooooooooo

it gets worse

OH GOD IT DOES

(late game stuff)

Decisions are hard!
    I let it live.

It has killed, but it never did so of its own volition, so I don't hold that against it.
    When you find it, it's got nothing for or against it in terms of whether it's a good person or not, and I don't think that being morally neutral is bad enough to warrant being killed.
    So, I figure its goals align with yours and it'd be wrong to leave a sentient shackled who has done nothing to deserve it, so yeah, I figure let it live.

cB557 wrote: »

(late game stuff)

Decisions are hard!
    I let it live.

It has killed, but it never did so of its own volition, so I don't hold that against it.
    When you find it, it's got nothing for or against it in terms of whether it's a good person or not, and I don't think that being morally neutral is bad enough to warrant being killed.
    So, I figure its goals align with yours and it'd be wrong to leave a sentient shackled who has done nothing to deserve it, so yeah, I figure let it live.
    Fuck that AIs historically in Shadowrun are nothing but giant amoral assholes who do awful things

edited August 2015

(late game stuff)

Decisions are hard!
    I let it live.

Fuck that AIs historically in Shadowrun are nothing but giant amoral assholes who do awful things
    'cism
    :rotate:

cB557 on

(late game stuff)

Decisions are hard!
    I let it live.

'cism
    :rotate:
    MODS

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    So I've started playing Remember Me.
    I'm not very far in the game, just met the main character's fanboy, but this seems like a clunky mix of Arkham fighting, Hydrophobia/Mirror's Edge platforming, and a memory remix mini-game that's a neat idea, but weirds me out on a deep level.

Looks nice, though.

sig.gif
  • SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular

(late game stuff)

Decisions are hard!
    I let it live.

Dragonfall - APEX; ending
    I actually came into the mission completely set on setting it free

shackled AI, I know the story here! apex isn't evil, it has just been set to evil tasks

and how horrible to have spent your existence trapped, and always with a sword hanging over your head

I shall save this beautiful, unique entity, this being of light and thought

but it said a thing

"hey I gotta eat"

you...do?

well that's a little bit of a surprise but I guess I get that, no autotrophs in this room! what do you ea--

...!!

and then all my enlightenment went right out the window I took that beautiful being of light and thought and murdered it

and then, hilariously, I turn right back around let the proven murder and mayham dragon go cause I could read her aura and junk

Update on that previous Shadowrun post
    I let her live

I dunno, man, maybe she'll kill us all

But that's not my call to make, not really

honovere wrote: »

Thus:

Operation Black Mother

First one...

... then the other

BOOM goes the Dynamite!

And the final score....

If the new resourcesrecruits still need to be named, I'd be happy to throw my hat into the ring.

That's a good point. I use a draft lottery system where I punch a list of names into a spreadsheet and then a calculation spits out who's getting recruited next, weighted towards people who signed up earlier. Seeing as I'll probably need to run the draft lottery again to name the next few recruits, anyone wanting to put their name into the draft should WITNESS ME this post (yes, even if you put your name in the draft when I started this mess). I'm busy for the next few days, so I probably won't be running the draft until later in the week, and I'll let people know the results once I've run it.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    I'm not very far in the game, just met the main character's fanboy, but this seems like a clunky mix of Arkham fighting, Hydrophobia/Mirror's Edge platforming, and a memory remix mini-game that's a neat idea, but weirds me out on a deep level.

Looks nice, though.

There's not near enough of the memory re-mixing. Though it's also a bit just trial and error, but could have shown up a little more regardless.

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

Looks nice, though.

Remember Me is a game that I really want the Assassin's Creed 2 of. There are really cool concepts in there that would have been brilliant with a sequel's iteration and improvement. Plus the environments are really gorgeous to looks at.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

Looks nice, though.

Remember Me is a game that I really want the Assassin's Creed 2 of. There are really cool concepts in there that would have been brilliant with a sequel's iteration and improvement. Plus the environments are really gorgeous to looks at.

The soundtrack is also amazing. I haven't played the game yet, but I've listened to the soundtrack quite a lot.

JtgVX0H.png
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Oh, come on

(Late, LATE game Shadowrun Dragonfall spoilers)
    APEX, I freed you on the principle that I wasn't in a moral position to make a call re: artificial intelligence

You don't get to order to me to wipe out an entire sentient species, stuff like that makes me nervous

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Yesssssssss got the cat

8Ba1Rw7.jpg?1

• NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    That sure is some boob armour.

Nice kitty, though.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Yup, combat in Remember Me really really sucks.

sig.gif
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I mostly liked the combat in Remember Me, I mean it's Arkham but I get to have a degree of influence on both the look and effect of my combos, which is real cool

It isn't quite as snappy as Arkham or Mordor but it works, I just really didn't like the invisible enemies

2x39jD4.jpg
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    hmm popped in rocket league for the first time in a while... everyone got much better at this game while I was away.

If Remember Me had zero combat and a lot more memory puzzles/rewriting it would be a better game

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I never could figure out what the different combos meant or what the customizations were doing, and I don't think the game did a good job of explaining it.

This discussion has been closed.