As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - PATV - Livescream – Killer 7

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited June 2015 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - PATV - Livescream – Killer 7

This week Gavin, Dabe, and Jamie experience terror from an unconventional title, Killer 7.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    LittlestarsLittlestars Registered User regular
    I can't play horror/survival games. There's something about never having enough bullets, my enemies seeing me before I see them, oh and their inclinations for eating my flesh and/or soul that just really bothers me. I don't like being afraid to open doors. I don't like eldritch beings crawling on ceilings waiting to ambush and decapitate me. Alan Wake, Dead Space, I tossed that shit out the window. There are some folks who really love that stuff. I won't ask why, I'm sure I wouldn't understand.

Having said that, I do have some strange admiration for those who partake in bloody demonic horrorcore scarefest gameplay. Perhaps because I cannot do it myself. It's always magical in some way when someone can do something that you can't. Kudos guys, have fun.

• Options
    metroidkillahmetroidkillah Local Bunman Free Country, USARegistered User regular
    Not even a little amusing.

I have an extremely low tolerance for videos that clearly throw people into the middle of a game without even allowing the player to learn the controls and call it "entertainment". Unless that's the point of the video (which would be an interesting concept), it only serves to detract from what I assume to be the actual purpose: getting sincere reaction from people who are easily scared. I mean, try that with any non-video game. It's not funny, it's stupid and boring.

I know Suda51 games tend to be crazy and wacky, but even Killer7 has a tutorial. What's more, Killer7 is not even a particularly "scary" game; but even if they're extreme softies, half the players' fear would be alleviated if they just knew how to play. Then we could see some real fear, not just panic because they don't know what they're doing.

Let me be transparent for a moment: I'm not a fan of horror games. Not because I don't like them, but because I internalize them really easily. Dead Space scared the shit out of me, even after learning the controls. I feel that's what LiveScream should be: actually scary games properly played by people who are scared easily. Honestly, I was hoping for a sort of "voyeur cam" setup with only the player in the room. You know, maximize the scare factor and record the reaction? Maybe have two people to lessen the humiliation factor; no need to be cruel.

But as it stands, this particular series seems to be the equivalent of click-bait articles- especially considering the videos are monetized. I am actually so insulted right now that I'll probably ignore all of PATV from now on, which is kind of a shame because I thought You're Gonna Love It was pretty interesting.

I'm not a nice guy, I just play one in real life.
  • Options
    WhelmedWhelmed Registered User regular
    I can't tell if I was supposed to be scared along with them or laughing at the screaming they were producing. If the former, there was no success at all because the jump cutting dissipated any of the growing tension you feel in a horror game; it was just random stuff happening in confusing points of space and time. If it was the latter, it was slightly more successful if only because it was a good mix of people (a calm one, a slightly nervous one, and one that is terrified of everything in the universe), but I don't know if a ten minute video of hyperventilating is scintillating enough for a recurring show. All of the other series I've really enjoyed, but this one I'd rather see the game itself, I think, for it to be entertaining.

• Options
    John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    What was this? I feel like the setup for this was: "Hey guys, you need to act scared when you play this game that isn't scary. Don't forget - lots of screams and be as conscious as possible that a camera is on you all the time."

I guess you need to be a super fan of PA because an outsider would have no idea who these people were. I don't know who the Spacker Dave guy is, I assume Justin Bieber is Erika, and I guess that's Jamie on the end? I feel like not being able to see her behind a pillow for half the episode was her way of appearing in the video while being self-conscious about her appearance.

• Options
    LerendLerend Registered User regular
    I have to agree with the other commenters, all of the rest of the new PATV segments knocked it out of the park but this was just completely uninteresting. The first half of the video is them struggling with the controls while Jamie is absolutely terrified of nothing at all. I was expecting genuine reactions to someone playing something like Amnesia or Five Nights at Freddies or Silent Hill, not ten minutes of awkwardly struggling with the controls of a game that's not even a horror game.

I'm not going to pout and say "I'm never watching PATV again!!!" like some of the others, but I definitely think this segment needs some work.

• Options
    Rubik_the_CubeRubik_the_Cube Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Love it! I think you guys executed on the concept very well. I'm not familiar with Killer 7, but it was interesting to watch just for the reactions. Nice mix of different levels of fear/control in the group. Hopefully we can see Dabe lose it too in a future episode.

Thanks for making cool things!

- RtC

Rubik_the_Cube on
  • Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    What's been interesting to observe about this YT stuff is the split in the audience. The average age of the PA reader/fan is actually in the low to mid 30s, and frankly, that age group isn't particularly resonant with let's plays/YT content. Free-time is at an all time low with career/family/etc, so watching 45 minute playthroughs isn't at the top of their list of things to do.

So the challenge for us is to try and discover a sweet spot for the content - something that still on-point with the content world while not ostracizing our core readers (aka the shaking of fists telling people to get off their lawn). But all the feedback we get is useful from both groups, and we'll continue to refine and adjust as the year goes on.

But thanks for the comments! We read all of 'em!

Some guy.
  • Options
    WhelmedWhelmed Registered User regular
    Speaking as a non-useful, singular data point on the continuum, I look forward to the future marketing survey about PATV wherein you dial in the optimal market segmentation strategy for each show.

First 15 (uncut) is my personal favorite as a low thirties person. It's both funny and value-added because I get a 15 minute test look at a potential use of my limited future time. That's a bargain!

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Well I enjoyed it!

Go scarier next time though, Killer 7 is pretty tame.

• Options
    LittlestarsLittlestars Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Keep in mind that these PATV shows are just starting. Not everything is going to be pegged in the right place on the first go, it's a test to see what works and what still needs work. I'd recommend reserving judgment until at least seeing Ep.2 to see what direction it's going to go in. And, you know, because different people are into different things, it's entirely plausible that the entire PATV lineup isn't going to be for every person even after it's all fleshed out.

Littlestars on
  • Options
    sandalwoodsandalwood Cartoonist New YorkRegistered User regular
    Hahaha this was fun! Nothing is more fun in a horror game than the increasing pressure/fear factor. Nice job!

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    The problem I had with this is I have no idea who any of these people are, and I don't know why they are playing this chunk of Killer 7 and the point of the video overall.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    KayneKayne Registered User regular
    Why does the guy always run around with the gun pointed at his own head?

• Options
    CaptainMoroseCaptainMorose Registered User new member
    Killer 7 isn't that hard. They're intentionally playing poorly. Worse than reality television.

• Options
    TeamPineappleTeamPineapple Lurker Extraordinaire Registered User regular
    I loved this. I loved watching Gavin play (I'm not the best shooter in high anxiety/horror situations either so I don't doubt this was staged). I loved Dabe being the calm presence. And Jamie was great. I am just like her when I watch other people play - totally in the moment. And ever since I watched my mom beat Dragon Warrior on the NES when I was a little girl, I have been a fan of watching other people play and enjoy games. So I am loving these new PATV shows. Please keep them up!

• Options
    JayCarrJayCarr Registered User regular
    Gavin is hysterical, there must be more of Gavin in the future... more Gavin, it has been demanded.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Yeah, I had fun watching this repeatedly.

I think it's a bit rich to be "insulted" by any content someone offered up to be enjoyed. No one's got a gun to your head making you sit for 10 minutes watching it.

• Options
    metroidkillahmetroidkillah Local Bunman Free Country, USARegistered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I think it's a bit rich to be "insulted" by any content someone offered up to be enjoyed. No one's got a gun to your head making you sit for 10 minutes watching it.

Except that's not what I was referring to, so good job justifying your own simplistic opinion by misrepresenting others.

I was referring to the fact that the videos are monetized *combined* with what I felt was an overly cheap route of what was meant to be entertainment. You know, kinda like those absurd article headlines that turn out to be packed full of ads?

And you're right, no one is forcing me to watch, which is why I won't be watching that particular series. I now know it's garbage, so they won't be getting my views from now on.

I'm not a nice guy, I just play one in real life.
  • Options
    WordLustWordLust Fort Wayne, INRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I think there is a distinct difference between a Let's Play (which is essentially the category that First 15 falls into) and a reaction video.

With a Let's Play, there really isn't any expectation as far as emotional response. Maybe the person will like the game or maybe they will hate it. Moreover, the "point" of a good LP is showcasing a game while someone with (hopefully) a good broadcast personality describes what is happening, what they are doing, and offering some critical (as opposed to emotional) reaction. And, if the creator is good at it, jokes.

With a reaction video, there is a certain expectation. If you're watching a reaction to Five Nights At Freddy's or something, people want to see the player screaming and flipping out. I think this creates a sort of pressure on the video creator to try and one-up all creators of similar videos by having the most over the top reaction. And even if the creator isn't trying to play up a big reaction, I think there are a lot of people (including me) who are kinda suspicious of reaction videos just because they assume this is going on. This is also true of movie trailer reactions where creators try to act more enraptured than their competitors.

TLDR: I think people are more likely to suspect a reaction video is dishonest/acting than they are with a mere Let's Play, even if the creator is not acting. It is kind of an odd genre of video.

WordLust on
  • Options
    ArthurRamboArthurRambo Registered User regular
    What's been interesting to observe about this YT stuff is the split in the audience. The average age of the PA reader/fan is actually in the low to mid 30s, and frankly, that age group isn't particularly resonant with let's plays/YT content. Free-time is at an all time low with career/family/etc, so watching 45 minute playthroughs isn't at the top of their list of things to do.

So the challenge for us is to try and discover a sweet spot for the content - something that still on-point with the content world while not ostracizing our core readers (aka the shaking of fists telling people to get off their lawn). But all the feedback we get is useful from both groups, and we'll continue to refine and adjust as the year goes on.

But thanks for the comments! We read all of 'em!

Just for random demographic feedback, I'm 22, really enjoy the format and length of all the new PATV series. If anything I wish they were marginally longer and came out more frequently. Thanks for the work I enjoy it