As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Lets Play Alien Isolation] Part 8 Still Medical

MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman,so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
edited October 2015 in Games and Technology
So I am very bad at scary games that don't let you kill your enemies and always have to pause and cry like a baby in a corner for ten minutes every time it gets intense before I get the courage to continue.

Time to man up.

So I'm doing a lets play where I'll have to play this game for longer than ten seconds at a time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K4YKd9Jiws

If I don't keep going I give explicit permission, nay demand, that everybody call me a complete baby.

Click for Playlist

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
Morninglord on

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Can't watch the video right now, what difficulty are you playing on?

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Hard.

Please tell me if there are any problems with sound, mumbling, etc. I don't like how quiet I was at times in this and will try to speak up in future. I did run a bunch of processing on my voice to try and up it without distorting it too badly, but I didn't want to autoduck too much because the sound in this game is so good. So good. I didn't want to mute it every ten seconds. So I tried to increase the pop of my voice rather than run a heavy autoduck.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I haven't played it much since I streamed it as a result of winning a Isy giveaway - I am a baby, don't be me. God speed good sir

edit: Oh piss off, Geth

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    easy game just use a trip launcher and juggle loop him forever ffs

obF2Wuw.png
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    The fear is real

dN0T6ur.png
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I am probably only going to be able to do one a week because it takes forever to process the sound, encode and upload and I've got a lot of construction sound limiting when I can actually record. They even hammer and bang and whirr away on saturdays. It gets picked up on my microphone. :/
    Expecting each one to be about the same length, although I think I'll upload them in twenty minute videos instead of 40ish.
    Going to record a few more when I can this weekend so that I don't have to worry about Arkham Knight interfering.

Morninglord on
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I am endlessly amused by your stuff, buddy. <3

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    So yeah some gal named Al... Al... well it something like Allen... anyway, they wanted me to give you this musical message.

"Shadows closing on you,
    The pounding of your heart rings through the night.
    I can feel my blood sizzling,
    When the forbidden touches my fingertips.
    I can’t resist.

They never see me coming,
    They never hear me slip away.
    The rush of lust takes over,
    Flowing from my spine till my hands
    Can’t resist.
    Must possess.
    Would you help a xenomorph?"

edited June 2015
    God dammit.
    I just managed to scrounge some time to record another update

and to my horror I realised after it was done that I'd forgotten to actually start recording.
    Fortunately I just had to restart the mission and it was very quick to get back up to where I was at the end of this update. I did grab the map on the way.
    I also had two flares. I threw one of them away. So I think I'm on par with what I was before.

Sorry about that guys. Fortunately I spent a lot of time getting lost down pointless hallways in the next section so i didn't really do much of consequence.

Funnily enough it was nervousness that caused it. I've been dreading starting it up again and I was so nervous before I even started that I remembered to start recording the commentary...but not the game. :(

Morninglord on
  • General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    You can just release that update as the podcast version. Several minutes of creaky ship noises and jumping at shadows.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
    edited June 2015
    Didn't think of that. I didn't save it.

Hahahahaha I'm so dumb.

Gonna try and repeat it this afternoon and try to get a bit further.

Absolutely everything in this game raises my tension through the roof. Replaying the start of mission 2 all the way up to where I'd been, I still walked everywhere. I was still too nervous to run.

This games sound design reaches into my hind brain and flips all the switches marked "bloody hell"

So I'll still be nervous and will probably jump at the same things.

I'm hopefully gonna be able to pick up a Blue Snowball on friday. It's a much better mic for this sort of thing. I'm using a shitty logitech headset and its weaknesses are fairly apparent when stacked up against the really good sound in this game.

Morninglord on
    edited June 2015
    Well the snowball i just picked up appears to be DOA. Guess it was frightened of the aliens.
    I'll have to return it on monday and pick up a new one. Sorry about that.
    I tested it on another computer and with a different usb cable and the led doesn't even power on so its definitely dead. Pretty annoyed about that. I had to travel an hour each way to find this thing sold for a decent price in australia. They said they had plenty of stock though so there wont be any problem replacing it.

Morninglord on
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    You should post your video updates in here! I will watch them in the thread!

I will also watch them on your channel if needs be but I like the visual consistency

dN0T6ur.png
    edited June 2015
    I am posting alien updates in here dont worry. I haven't been able to make any recently because I recently decided my mic isn't up to the task. Last time I did a lets play I had a much better mic. Soon as I get the mic on monday I will do another update as fast as I can record and process the bugger. I want you guys to be able to hear my fear with maximum clarity.

Morninglord on
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    This should be fun. >:D

Do yer best to avoid thinking about how the alien works.

Oh brilliant
    edited July 2015
    I can't avoid thinking about how something works. It's completely automatic.
    Good news! I've got my new microphone all fixed up. I will attempt a recording tonight. I would have done one yesterday but I had one of those, well, noisy colds. You really don't want to hear beep beep skreetch SNIIIIIIIIFFFFFFFF.

Morninglord on
    The Alien AI isn't perfect but it's pretty darned good. Even if you know exactly how it works on hard a lot of the game can still be hell. If you don't know exactly how it works... heheheheheHAHAHAHAHAHA.

I was thinking of leaving deaths in unless it gets really repetitive. If it does I might just do a montage or something.

My experience with the game isn't actually that you die a lot. The big thing is that because of the save system each death feels like it really matters.

I can be unco and a slow learner sometimes, so we'll see.

Alright welp update recorded, now to process it and all that jazz. SHould be up by tomorrow or the next day. It takes a while to upload these things.

Right so. I'm done with everything except the uploading.

I am in Australia.

This is the worst bit.

Basically the first video took 18 fucking hours.

This is way too long, so I am splitting this next 26 minute video into two halves and will upload them one night at a time while I sleep.
    I split them at a save station around the 14 minute mark.

So the next update will be tomorrow and then the next day.

• MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    I forgot how long the setup is in Alien Isolation...

The true terror is coming soon, Morninglord. Soon.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Man, what is that accent Morninglord!? Sounds like Irish Australian? :P

Dunno how completionist you're gonna be going, but heads up that a lot of the buildable item schematics are very missable. One in particular I somehow missed until I found V.3 of it in the late game. None of them are strictly necessary, but they can be very useful, so keep an eye out! They appear as fairly large glowing documents.

Oh brilliant
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Xenomorphs are scary because making them bleed hurts. How do you fight someone who thinks like that?!

• MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    I would like to relate to all of you the process of making sure these videos sound acceptable, so that you can understand my pain. Sometimes a man needs some fish and needs some fish now.

Stay with me here. I'm going places with this.

Man is out for fish, right? Fish need to get got. As an angler of sorts, there's a conversation that you have to have with yourself about the giving of fish and the teaching of fishing, and the ideal proportion between the two that will result in both the quickest and most sustainable production of these fish. Now, all the while, Morninglord is in a field chasing ducks. "Look at me!" he says. "I'm a duck, too! HOOOOOONK!" And it's like, alright. Point 1, stop that. Point 2, that's a goose sound, not a duck sound. Point 3, neither ducks nor geese are fish. Point 4, get over here and help me dig for worms.

He then asked me what trout had to do with microphones and/or audio editing, and I did not have a good answer for that question. And that's why there's been like 2 weeks between updates. I apologize.

edited July 2015
    Every word is true.
    Man, what is that accent Morninglord!? Sounds like Irish Australian? :P

Morninglord.

I don't have an accent recognisable as familiar by anyone I have ever met. I'm always from somewhere else. I've never left australia.
    Dunno how completionist you're gonna be going, but heads up that a lot of the buildable item schematics are very missable. One in particular I somehow missed until I found V.3 of it in the late game. None of them are strictly necessary, but they can be very useful, so keep an eye out! They appear as fairly large glowing documents.

Have I missed any so far? I am keeping an eye out and going back to investigate areas as much as I can. I didn't feel like I was supposed to do that in the section at the end of the vid.

Morninglord on
  • FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    honestly, every scary game let's play needs a face-cam. it adds to the schadenfreude so much.

Are you the magic man?
    Well this is just a quick and dirty one cos I promised I would. All I'm doing is recording with shadowplay, taking out the audio, adding the voice track to it, slapping it back onto the video, doing a few quick cuts and uploading it.
    Also I'm not willing to show my goofy face to the world.

Also because mammals are physically soft and jelly-like. Mammals hunt soft prey, and fend against soft predators. Xenomorphs are hard and pointy from top to bottom. Bumping into a friendly 'morph on a streetcrossing could put your eye out.

• M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    These videos are making it hard to stick to my 'no new games until Witcher 3' is done.

It does look really fun...

I'm pretty sure I'm capable of making almost any game sound a lot more fun than it by rights should be and more fun than I am actually feeling at the time.
    I kind of displace my terror.
    I am sure at some point I will come out with a full on joker style laugh at completely the wrong moment and it will not be a laugh of happiness oh no.
    I do weird things when really stressed.

A solid hit on the head makes me laugh until I'm tired. It runs in the family.

edited July 2015
    I remember fighting Gypsy, this ridiculously skilled korean tekken player, in a tournament. Anyway he does this completely brutal thing to me that was also really clever and completely fooled me because I didn't expect it.
    So I laughed at that.
    My laugh, on the tape of that fight, sounds exactly like Brian Fury's evil cackle. He also laughs when getting hurt by certain attacks.
    A few seconds after I laugh someone says on the tape "That was not Brian..."

Morninglord on
    edited July 2015
    I wouldn't be surprised if I end up chatting to this thing amiably as it brutally murders me.

Morninglord on
    edited July 2015
    Wow so that was rather dumb of me. I almost didn't record again. Fortunately I could only record twenty minutes this time and I have my shadowplay set up, so I managed to save afterwards. Any longer and I would have cut off the start.
    I need to stick a note on this stupid microphone.

Start recording.

The theme of this next update that I have just recorded is "I'm completely lost and cannot work out how to open this door. I really really wish I could work out how to open this door. Very much oh yes."

Morninglord on
    edited July 2015
    Working joes more like working assholes am i right?

Okay so I got enough for several updates now and the next part will be up tomorrow. Still not up to the most infamous section yet but I have met our mutual buddy and he sure was pretty.
    I'm moving fairly slowly through this because I am completely terrified so don't expect things to move at a hectic clip. Sorry in advance for being terribad at this.
    I'm getting ridiculously lost in this station. I can't really work out where to go and the motion track hasn't been helping much since it seems fairly literal. I seem to be going down all the dead ends.

Morninglord on
    scratch that, sorry, im having some problems with the audio. have to do some complicated stuff since i kinda screwed up the voice track by setting the mic to the wrong option because i am an idiot. itll take me another day to figure this out so it doesn't sound terrible.