As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TRENCHES] Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - Loose Ends Justify The Means

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited June 2015 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Loose Ends Justify The Means

Loose Ends Justify The Means
http://trenchescomic.com/comic/post/loose-ends-justify-the-means

I still can’t face him

Anonymous

I’ve been in the games industry for nearly a decade and despite all the craziness I’ve endured, I still remember the beginning.

A friend of mine got me a contract position in QA to help with the final push on a game. I was to join the internal QA team and be right inside the studio along with the devs themselves!

After playing the game non-stop (16 hours a day, 7 days a week) I was quite confident in saying I knew the game inside and out. I knew all the quickest ways though the levels, where all the secrets were and how to mop the floor with every boss in the game.

It was probably about a week or two before we went gold when my arrogance got the better of me. I was nearly through the game when I got stuck on a boss in one of the final levels (one I had beaten dozens of times) and I just couldn’t take him. I was taking a brutal thrashing.

I died 20 or 30 times and all the while attracting an audience. After every couple of deaths a new onlooker would join the crowd. First it was my friend, then the QA lead followed by another QA, I even attracted one of the level designers and a programmer. As each person appeared, they’d offer a piece of advice; grab more health, pick up the weapons, focus on the little guys, focus on the boss… None of it was helping, but as I continued getting pummelled, a single voice caught my attention.

“Do we need to add more health?” It was the lead designer. My futile efforts had managed to cause a big enough commotion to attract his attention… I was stunned.

I think I responded with “No. It’s OK, I’ve got this”.

It was then he took my controller (he must have been standing there longer than I thought and was tired of watching me die). Without even placing both hands on the controller, as he had a coffee in his left, he proceeded to annihilate the boss in less than 30 seconds. The crowd quickly dispersed as the boss died.

I clearly remember him saying “looks good to me” as he handed my controller back and walked away.

To this day, I have never faced that boss again.

Geth on