As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hardly Working in the [Job] Thread

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    My mutual fund is recovering!

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    A scribe place set up an interview today with be via Skype, so last night I went out and bought a webcam, so of course when I go to hook it up today I knocked over a half full cup of iced coffee my girlfriend left for several days on the desk right above my Conor, despite me telling her several times to never leave any food or drink there every, and it went right into my computer fan, completely destroying my $900 pc. Which means I have to use her surface for the interview, but also I now need to spend several hundreds of dollars on a new computer.

Yet she's mad at me for "being grumpy"

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »

May your mutual fund be as a Saiyan, growing ever more powerful after taking a serious hit.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i could use a senzu bean

poo
  • Options
    Kamiro wrote: »
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Weaver wrote: »

May your mutual fund be as a Saiyan, growing ever more powerful after taking a serious hit.

You just want to watch all the destruction it causes when you come out at night.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me, Piccolo.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »
    I mean, I'm not going to say that going into full 'fuck that bridge, let it burn' mode is right, but I definitely wouldn't judge you after all these updates and how she doesn't seem to respect you or the job at all.

As much as I would like to, that would go against my ideal to remain professional at all times when working. Even when people test me repeatedly, I can only allow myself to blow up in writing.

In related news, it must be passive-aggressive day, because the first response to an email to the teachers reminding them of our new policy to not accept old transcript request forms resulted in one of them sending back a paragraph about how they were "apalled" at how I was treating professional educators like children and that I should bring up my aggravations to my supervisor through the proper channels. I chose to reply saying that it was a simple reminder and that some people had probably just forgotten. Rather than what I wanted to say about how children were better than the majority of teachers because at least they could learn. But no, I'll be the professional and bite my treacherous tongue.

• Options
    Well had that interview, holy shit what a joke.
    8-12 hours a day, on your get following physicians around, no over time pay, no guarantees breaks, you will be yelled at by physicians who dislike how you transcribe, unpaid training, starts at minimum wage and agree 300 hours increases 50 cents. No vacation, no sick days, no benefits.

I think I'm going to turn the offer down.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    8-12 hours a day, on your get following physicians around, no over time pay, no guarantees breaks, you will be yelled at by physicians who dislike how you transcribe, unpaid training, starts at minimum wage and agree 300 hours increases 50 cents. No vacation, no sick days, no benefits.

Considering how bad your current situation is

holy fucking hell

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Better the devil you know :P

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I can say with relative certainty that no over time, no breaks, and being yelled at are all pretty standard in healthcare, along with unpaid training. They will try to shaft you every turn because you're in a -care field, meaning (to them) that you're doing it because you care about people.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    They're totally saying your a independent contractor aren't they? No way in hell would that fly past the IRS if you're literally accompanying the docs.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular

That sounds horrific. I wonder what their turnover rate is.

• Options
    Kamiro wrote: »
    I didn't think it was legal to have an hourly worker work more than 40 hours a week and not pay overtime?

They're likely not employees but contractors and either way they'll be filed as "computer workers" who are exempt from overtime.

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »

That sounds horrific. I wonder what their turnover rate is.

Judging by the number of computers that my team cranks out a month, too damn high.

• Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    I might be wrong but scribe jobs in particular seem get away with being shitty because pre-med students flock to them and put up with lots of garbage to get something on their resume to be more appealing to med schools.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Oh hey cool our student information system that we just moved over to a hosted solution is apparently kept in the CenturyLink datacenter that is melting down.

Good day to be the one who was pro self-hosted.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Tox wrote: »
    I can say with relative certainty that no over time, no breaks, and being yelled at are all pretty standard in healthcare, along with unpaid training. They will try to shaft you every turn because you're in a -care field, meaning (to them) that you're doing it because you care about people.

Opposite in my experience, at least for the people in the hourly clinical positions, barring the actual primary providers (MDs, APRNs, managers and other salaried folk).
    Our RNs, PCTs, etc. all get overtime. Or at least, they get paid overtime rates for overtime hours if they happen. Nobody like to actually schedule overtime if they can avoid it.
    Then again, as we get more and more swallowed by our corporate overlords, a lot of departments have been moved to contractors (ED Physicians, EVS, Nutrition, etc) so those might be starting to get shafted since we no longer directly pay them.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    The actual clinical positions don't deal with that sort of thing because medical is a totem pole and clerical positions are at the very bottom.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Great. Now I'm in a weird spot because I have people pushing me to apply for a new position about to open up at work. Which would be great! If I was staying in the area. I'm hard set on moving, but I don't want certain people to know yet (because I don't know how long the job search will take).

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Welp, the guy I was having to give a ride to work quit today.

He was a temp, and when you're a temp here and go above a certain amount of time (90 days or 520 hours, whichever comes first) you're supposed to be rolled over to full time, which nets you your insurance, 401k, shift premiums, etc. He and another guy had come in at about the same time, with the other guy coming in two weeks later; other guy is signing his paperwork for full time on Friday.

The guy I was giving a ride to? Told they won't be making him full time, and are instead keeping him as a "permanent temp" (yeah, I know) for <reasons>. Working in a full time position, not making full time pay, and never will be.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    @korodullin, based on your previous stories, I'm more shocked that the other guy was hired full-time.

I expect you will return to us shortly and tell us that guy was hired because of nepotism or something.

hippofant on
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    A lot of the work at the museum here's been kind of head-down buried-in-cubicle dullness for most of the staff for the last several weeks, which I can't complain about too much - I like the place - but it's meant things have been a little grey for awhile. Then out of nowhere an op-ed out of al-Jazeera on a topic relevant to our mandate kicks off a nice storm of Actual Intelligent Discussion across blogs and the media, and gives a good chunk of the staff something to chew over for awhile in the morning.

It's always nice to run into some unexpected brain candy; even moreso when the brain candy is work related and provides a nice shot of mental energy to a chunk of the workplace for awhile.

• Options
    ICUbICUb WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    @Tofystedeth Same with my environment, salaried low to mid level managers get shafted but hourly folks are well cared for.
    edit: clarity, missed quote

ICUb on

Bnet tag: Nermals#11601
  • Options
    CosCos Registered User regular
    So I've been a bit mopey over the past two days because at the interview I had on Monday (which I think went really well), they said they'd make their decision on Wednesday morning. I got a call this afternoon, and my maybe future boss said they discovered a final step when they talked to HR, which is a personality survey. So I'm waiting for a link, and they're planning to make the final phone calls tomorrow. It's between me and one other person, and I had multiple people tell me on Monday that they're very impressed with my skills, etc.

I can't tell if all of this is good or neutral.

• Options
    PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    Almost sounds like a coin flip of sorts. They like both you and the other candidate, and are now using one of those silly personality (Strongly Agree, Strongly Disagree) tests to see if one of you might be a serial killer.

I'd call it a "neutral".

Good luck, though!

• Options
    On tha plus I got my computer working, no extra dollar needed to go into it.

On the down side who do I contact about labor laws not being followed and needing to be reported

• Options
    So my state does not require I'm given a break, which sucks, but I'm being clocked out for lunch breaks I didn't take...I should report this right

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    HEY let's talk about impostor syndrome, specifically as it relates to me starting in a new place on Monday and being absolutely convinced that this is where they'll finally find out I never knew what I was doing

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Yesterday I learned that bullshit management decisions exist in the safari industry as much as anywhere else, and now I'm feeling sour about it. But I'm in no position to raise any complaints, I'm just a placement student. So I guess I just suck it up.

Last night was cool though. After a long drive ofseeing nothing but birds, and sitting around for ages waiting our turn, we got an awesome leopard sighting. Big male in a tree right over our heads. Watched him sleep, wake up, and climb down the tree right next to us.

The vols on my car were so psyched afterwards. Two of them even high-fived! Felt pretty good.

• Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    HEY let's talk about impostor syndrome, specifically as it relates to me starting in a new place on Monday and being absolutely convinced that this is where they'll finally find out I never knew what I was doing

so my first real (not short-term remote contracting) job in the games industry is at blizzard

BOY HOWDY was I convinced these guys were insane for hiring me. I'm a noob! There's probably hundreds of people who apply to work here that are ten times as qualified as I am, right???
    Maybe! But they didn't just hire you (me) on a whim. Unless they're idiots, they knew what they were looking for and you fit the bill. It might be hard skills--it might be breadth of experience--it might be eagerness to learn. So either they're idiots, or you know what you're doing!

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Hey GG I met you for a very short time last year, but I was very impressed. Give them hell!

chromdom on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    So. There are all these signs around the plant reminding us about our lunch policy: 20 minute paid lunch.

Well, our new employee handbooks issued today detail our new lunch policy: 30 minute lunches... unpaid. And we're still not allowed to leave the property.

After giving us paid lunch breaks for sixteen years, we're now suddenly getting slapped with what is essentially a pay cut.

So far I'm the only one who happened to read it, and I've told a couple folks, but once word gets around there will be blood.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    ironsizideironsizide You must whip it Registered User regular
    You ever get the feeling you're part of some awful, awful social experiment, @korodullin?

|_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ironsizide wrote: »
    You ever get the feeling you're part of some awful, awful social experiment, @korodullin?

post-33537-Jim-Carrey-Truman-Show-gif-wha-cIrC.gif

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    So my state does not require I'm given a break, which sucks, but I'm being clocked out for lunch breaks I didn't take...I should report this right

Yes. That is theft. The company is stealing from you. Surely there are federal laws against that, even if your state is "right to work"!

Can I just point out how bullshit that phrase is? Right to work, my arse!

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Some piccies from last night
    Fast asleep when we got to him
    eQSF99a.jpg[/img]

Awake, and looking in the direction of some lions down the road
    OBAW8q2.jpg

Not the prettiest of leopards, but a certified badass.
    fGDNKj6.jpg

His name is Scar, he's 15 and one of three big, dominant males on the reserve. This was only my second confirmed sighting of him.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Kitty!

• Options

Yea, as Chris said that's federal labor law they're breaking.

So the first thing is get some documentation from HR by writing something like "Hey, my check is a bit short this week. What's up with that?" in an email so you've got some proof of that stuff.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Some piccies from last night
    OBAW8q2.jpg

I can't help but interpret that look as shocked guilt.

I... I WHAT? NO OF COURSE I DIDN'T EAT THAT.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    You shut your mouth smog, he is pretty.

This discussion has been closed.