As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

let's make a playlist to celebrate America unless you don't want to then you don't have to

DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
Hey, guys, it's almost July 4th, which means it's also almost America's birthday and a bunch of stuff is going to blow up while people eat various meats and cheeses. It's also a time to set up dumb projects with absurdly over serious names, so:

It's time to make the Great American Playlist. I know you can't see the word "American" because it's white on a white background, but commitment to the America theme was far more important than your ability to read words. ANYWAYS

First things first, figure out how to use Spotify, and then follow this playlist: https://open.spotify.com/user/1234402619/playlist/5ABzwndO9BMms9UDY33r7z

And then...add some songs, because it's a collaborative playlist. We did something similar last year, right here, and it went...mostly alright! Some real good America jams on that list. But this year, before you add some songs to celebrate America, let's keep in mind the following rules:
  1. Artists MUST be from America
  2. Or if the song is explicitly about how awesome America is, they don't have to be from America
  3. Songs that talk shit about America are allowed if the artist is American. Nothing more American than complaining about America!
  4. Only add one song per artist/group.
  5. Songs must be about: America, freedom, a specific American city or state, people from America, the fourth of July, baseball, THE TROOPS, how hard it is to be a working class citizen in these United States, fireworks, ETCETERA
  6. Songs must not be about: Canada. Canada Day is over and I don't want to hear weird Rush songs about trees, thank you
  7. Please keep in mind that these rules are very serious and I definitely have the authority to ban you from Spotify and also America in general so you'd better watch out ok
  8. On an actual, more serious note: please don't delete music from this list unless you added it yourself, don't be a dick

396awqa79v89.jpg

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    not a spotify thing but I would like to contribute this

https://youtu.be/M7MqmI8_jhY

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    hmm these are good efforts but youtube definitely isn't spotify, it's a good thing this is a free country or I'd be authorized to be very disappointed in your efforts

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I added mine to the playlist too!

• Options
    thanks for your use of this service

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    There is already way too much WWE music on the list and it's only 5 songs long.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    this playlist is 60% wrestling which makes sense because there is nothing more american than screaming nonsense while not wearing enough clothes

• Options
    Yay I figured it out

But how do you hide your name, not that it matters it's already up.

• Options
    I don't know if you can, aside from just...not using an account with your name on it

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    this playlist is 60% wrestling which makes sense because there is nothing more american than screaming nonsense while not wearing enough clothes
    You forgot the part where you make things explode and cause fires.

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    This app isn't the friendliest.

I got Chuck Berry on there though, so that is sweet.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    Maybe signing in through Facebook was not the best idea. Oh well.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I made an account

how do I spotify

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    pretty much you just search for a song on the spotify app, right click and add it to a playlist. or drag it over to the playlist. there are a bunch of different ways!

• Options
    First, follow the playlist in the op

Once you find a song, click the little ... to the right and hit "add to playlist"

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Sections from Sean Moeller's Death Ships review: A Pursuit For All That Blinds Us
    http://www.daytrotter.com/#!/concert/death-ships/20030081-110580
    Will Smith suggests that Thomas Jefferson was right when he slid the phrase "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" into the Declaration of Independence. He also suggests that the most important word in the line is "pursuit," which means that happiness is never a given.

A song on the Death Ship's debut album is titled "Great American" and it's a walking through the end of day, after a big meal, one imagines, when the wine's got the protagonist talking, and there's no where he would rather be at the moment than there. It's home and it's the choice.

It's down and it's the very essence of the fluttering of fading light, the wind down of a stressful day of making it.
    Then a major league call and response bridge of, "You can ride with me" that catches fire and leaves a dusting of ash and soot on the floor.
    It's what the ideology is and what that pursuit of happiness, Jefferson, Will Smith and seemingly everyone else wants. They'll take the less thrilling times - the grey moments - with the lighter ones as long as they get to pull all of the strings.
    The world may be burning itself to hell and it may be hanging on by a thin thread, but as long as we're foolhardy and brave enough to keep pursuing that distant happiness, there's hope for us. Pursuit can ride with me and you and everyone we know.

https://youtu.be/veyhsM1Zh_o

I don't expect to see it on spotify but it's a contribution.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Also come on, people, ACDC is from Australia.

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    It's weird that this playlist is longer than one song.

That one song, of course, being Real American.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    I don't even have spotify.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Nirya wrote: »
    It's weird that this playlist is longer than one song.

That one song, of course, being Real American.

at one time, this was definitely the case, as it was the first song I added

• Options
    KosenjouKosenjou Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    It cannot be The Great American Playlist without Springsteen. The obvious choice added.

Kosenjou on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Fuck July 4th, my birthday is July 3rd and that's what's really important. It's okay if y'all sent your gifts a little late, I'm pretty forgiving about that. I do expect a cake and fireworks and a live band though.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I accidentally added a whole album but I think then I fixed it?

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »

Yeah but TNT! It's about explosions. It works.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »

And yet, there the most American band in existence!

vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    As good a place as any for this, I suppose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZUWQdSTQ7Q

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    I added some..stuff

• Options
    I'm scared.

• Options
    there's literally a katy perry song called firework!

• Options
    there's still time to celebrate america everyone, independence day isn't until tomorrow

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    I'm adding Rio to this because Rio is a metaphor for america

and how America dances on the sand

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Added a couple songs. So far I was able to resist adding "American bad ass", pray my resolve holds.

• Options
    webberwebber Registered User regular
    How much Bob Seger is on the list?

Also thank you for reminding me about George Washington.

This lucky penny is bullshit.
    Hearthstone - Webber #1330
    3DS: 0920-3235-4071
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    put in a couple last minute additions before I go eat food forever

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Shout out to everyone who added to this playlist. It's no longer the fourth of July, so I closed it to submissions, but good job everyone! We finished with 136 songs, and I think, like, 20% wrestling songs, probably

• Options
    Sidenote: I put this playlist on at a family picnic yesterday and it went better than anticipated. Had to be quick on the trigger to skip past the Tupac, though, not sure how well that would have gone over