As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Depressions: Can we learn from past [chat]?

ronyaronya Arrrrrf.the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
edited July 2015 in Debate and/or Discourse
Hence the problems presented by periods of depression may be grouped as follows:

First, removal of extra economic injuries to the economic mechanism: Mostly impossible on political grounds.

Second, relief: Not only imperative on moral and social grounds, but also an important means to keep up the current of economic life and to steady demand, although no cure for fundamental cases.

Third, remedies: The chief difficulty of which lies in the fact that depressions are not simply evils, which we might attempt to suppress, but--perhaps undesirable--forms of something which has to be done, namely, adjustment to previous economic change.

Most of what would be effective in remedying a depression would be equally effective in preventing this adjustment. This is especially true of inflation, which would, if pushed far enough, undoubtedly turn depression in to the sham prosperity so familiar from European postwar experience, but which, if it be carried to that point, would, in the end, lead to a collapse worse than the one it was called in to remedy.

Fourth, reforms of institutions intended to remedy the situation but suggested by the moral and economic evils of both booms and depressions: The crucial point of these reforms lies in the coincidence of a political atmosphere exceptionally favorable, and an economic situation exceptionally unfavorable to their success. No doubt they will always be carried amidst enthusiastic clapping of hands. But they will also be stigmatized in the future by their tendency to prevent or retard recovery. This should not blind to us to any merits they may have, but it is a plain and undeniable fact...

The readiest attitude to take is to blame individuals, a blame which is undoubtedly only too justified in some cases. Just as it was, at some times and with some nations, a habit to clamor for the heads of unsuccessful generals, so there was always, and is today, a disposition to punish both culprits and scapegoats in business. English opinion, after the ignominious breakdown of the speculative craze known to history as the South Sea Bubble (1720) seems to have been to the effect that the most desirable measure to take was the hanging of some people...

OkYBTPa.jpg

Joseph Alois Schumpeter, making a subtle error in 1934 ("Depressions: Can we learn from past experience?").

aRkpc.gif
ronya on

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Or, you know, anarchy. Anarchy is good too.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    ok ronya has not failed us

i retract my false [chat]

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    we have a rebel @Bethryn

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    nah it's been 14 minutes. y'all good.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Wow there is a day this month we have zero occupancy I have never seen that before.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    What's the subtle error, doge.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    What's the subtle error, doge.

Past. Present.

It's all a loop.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    I don't want to work today.

I want to sleep all day and look and write dumb rules for my rpg.

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular

Be more 'murican, and less... Quebecistan. :bzz: <3

• Options
    Wow there is a day this month we have zero occupancy I have never seen that before.

wait

like there is nobody in the hotel at all?

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    @Bethryn

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4IOAl6nZp3kN1JLZ1BiSnYxY1E/view

Has a pretty good breakdown on the Tiger II and how terrible it was.

@kintdan,

The Sherman picked up a number of nicknames for it catching fire. But a huge factor in that is how common the tank was. There were some issues with the lower ammo storage having the potential to catch fire but that's corrected later in the war. There were a couple of statistical analysis of various tanks and the Sherman is on par the T-34 and other tanks in terms of catastrophic failures. Those are failures that end with the tank unusable rather then mobility failures or equipment based failures.

A lot of the Sherman's bad rap comes from a couple of sources. A big one is a memoir from a guy named Cooper. It suffers from a combination of being written 40 years after, the writer wanting to make himself look important, and writing about stuff he heard second hand. The other factor in it getting a bad rap is that you often see Mil-history nerds sperging about statistics. And one of them being the Sherman's gun being unable to penetrate the armor of the Tiger II. The link I posted above addresses it but basically it turns out the Tiger II armor was very thick but was made of shitty steel, using inferior techniques. If it had been made by the Brits, the Russians, or the Americans it would have been the God tank people on the internet say it is. But it wasn't. Tiger IIs that entered combat died. Often.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

Be more 'murican, and less... Quebecistan. :bzz: <3

I had wednesday off, tho.

I didn't want to work yesterday either.

• Options
    Orphane wrote: »

wait

mqdefault.jpg

• Options

wait

late this month yeah there is a date with zero occupancy, that'll change but still never seen that before.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    To be fair, the Russians would have never made the Tiger II. They would have looked at it and started laughing at it. They were absolutely ruthless about simplifying design to speed up production and the Tiger II is the god damn Swiss watch of tanks.

• Options
    Also Bethryn you may be interested in this. I posted it last night but it goes into the industrial design process stuff and the differences between the US, Russia and Germany.

https://youtu.be/N6xLMUifbxQ?t=26m15s

• Options
    And that's not really fair to Swiss watches. Swiss watches have a reputation for working and working well.

• Options
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    @Bethryn

@kintdan,

The Sherman picked up a number of nicknames for it catching fire. But a huge factor in that is how common the tank was. There were some issues with the lower ammo storage having the potential to catch fire but that's corrected later in the war. There were a couple of statistical analysis of various tanks and the Sherman is on par the T-34 and other tanks in terms of catastrophic failures. Those are failures that end with the tank unusable rather then mobility failures or equipment based failures.

A lot of the Sherman's bad rap comes from a couple of sources. A big one is a memoir from a guy named Cooper. It suffers from a combination of being written 40 years after, the writer wanting to make himself look important, and writing about stuff he heard second hand. The other factor in it getting a bad rap is that you often see Mil-history nerds sperging about statistics. And one of them being the Sherman's gun being unable to penetrate the armor of the Tiger II. The link I posted above addresses it but basically it turns out the Tiger II armor was very thick but was made of shitty steel, using inferior techniques. If it had been made by the Brits, the Russians, or the Americans it would have been the God tank people on the internet say it is. But it wasn't. Tiger IIs that entered combat died. Often.

is the paper you linked referring to the original Tiger or the Tiger II?

I looked through it and it seems to refer to the Tiger, since there is a line such as "Its obsolete design had no heirs; even the Tiger II was a Tiger tank in name only, more closely resembling the Panther." in the concluding paragraph

i could just be ignorant of naming differences though

• Options
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    @Bethryn

@kintdan,

is the paper you linked referring to the original Tiger or the Tiger II?

I looked through it and it seems to refer to the Tiger, since there is a line such as "Its obsolete design had no heirs; even the Tiger II was a Tiger tank in name only, more closely resembling the Panther." in the concluding paragraph

i could just be ignorant of naming differences though

Sorry, that one is the Tiger. This is the Tiger II.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4IOAl6nZp3kdXpDLUxsQXlMd2M/view

• Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Tiger, Tiger buring bright...

Hello!

• Options
    Well at least /r/gonewild isn't down nothing stops the nudity!

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

Sounds like there's a day at work that you get to be naked.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    tanks are cool
    i'm a marder

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Naa I still dont believe Gal Godot as WW

11665572_10153489031869701_1729031570847274461_n.jpg?oh=f12469a5ba415ae063b1ba5b39442fc5&oe=562F6F8E

• Options
    my guess is she won't be anywhere near the worst part of that movie

• Options
    although it might not be great for her since i'm sure the script will be anus

• Options
    p10 you missed the toughest decision
    trying to decide which subclass of an upcoming class in an rpg you are going to play first is the hardest first world problem

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    my guess is she won't be anywhere near the worst part of that movie

The single worst part so far is "False God"

• Options

???

• Options

???

A bunch of the default subreddits went dark cause of internal issues but the number one subreddit for posting noodz is still going strong.

• Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    I'm staying open minded when it comes to BvS. If push comes to shove it will at least have been pretty.

• Options
    i think i'm going to play swordmaster but none of the female slayer subclasses super interest interest me. i'm not sure any of them involve enough button pressing
    ~two swords~ tho

• Options

???

A bunch of the default subreddits went dark cause of internal issues but the number one subreddit for posting noodz is still going strong.

Went dark? What? Like there are subreddits that no longer work? But not all? What?

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    i think i'm going to play swordmaster but none of the female slayer subclasses super interest interest me. i'm not sure any of them involve enough button pressing
    ~two swords~ tho

Which game?

Quid on
  • Options
    ~two swords~ tho

What is Swordmaster?

• Options

???

Went dark? What? Like there are subreddits that no longer work? But not all? What?

correct some moderators closed their subreddits

• Options

???

correct some moderators closed their subreddits

Whoa. Because of staff changes? So they threw hissy fits?

• Options

???

A popular Reddit employee was fired and these subreddit mods have rendered their domains private in protest.

• Options
    In Roman Empire terms, the Emperor dispatched a popular threat, and now several legions have revolted

• Options
    i was going to roll with swordmaster too based solely on a skill i am probably going to not even use all the time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i6qc001EXM

but i'll probably try vagabond and dark templar at some point
    Quid wrote: »
    ~two swords~ tho

Which game?

Dungeon Fighter Online

This discussion has been closed.