As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[World of Warships] Now officially launched, thread getting drunk on christening champagne

• Options
    kilnbornkilnborn Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    Gundi wrote: »
    If a carrier knows what they're doing yes they can totally guarantee hit you with torpedoes. Even if you're in a destroyer.

how?

teach me!

To be absolutely sure of it you need multiple flights of bombers. Criss-cross the pattern and there's nowhere to dodge.

While this is technically correct (the best kind of correct!), I don't think it's reasonable. Aircraft are a DD's nightmare, so if a DD isn't scanning the skies, and moving around aircraft, then yeah, a cross-hatch pattern will sink a DD.

That was part of my original post. A DD needs to keep track of aircraft.

I just had a 67% CV driver send three torp bombers after me, and gave up after a while because I wouldn't allow him to even get into position. He could drop behind me and to my side, which is avoidable with ease, or to both sides and behind, but never in front and to the side.

It's just not going to happen. I'd rather drop everything I'm doing and do everything I can to avoid even getting spotted by planes, let alone allow them to get into position to torp me.

Sorry, I've never even come close to taking a torp in a DD from a torp bomber. I really don't think....

Ok, the closest I've come was a torp bomber squad who dropped so close that I turned into them and had them hit me before arming. That's the closest.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Another tale from the "What do you want from me, game?" files:

Still working on getting me New York fully upgraded. Just had a match on Big Race. I sunk a Kongo and a Furutaka (and not just killshots, friendlies got some hits in but they were both healthy when I opened fired and I did most of the work), plus did meaningful damage to two Wyos, helped finish off both enemy Langleys when we finished them off at the end of the match, and tagged a Nicholas a couple with a couple of potshots to help little friends kill him in the Torpedo Triangle. 49 total hits, 2 killed, just under 83,000 total damage.

For my trouble? 1,357 XP.

Which is like... fine, I guess. But for me, in this ship, this was an exceptional match. I mean, I am physically limited by the anemic speed and gun range of the ship, so unless everything just falls into place perfectly so that the fight comes to me and enemy ships helpfully sail into gun range at the perfect time and angle the whole match, there is only so much I can do to contribute. And I know there are people in the game who average more than this. Whereas for me the occasional match like this has to try to balance out all of the games where I spawn at the opposite edge from the direction everybody runs and get left to die, or the matches where I am top BB on my team in a CV-mismatch game and I spend the whole time dodging torpedo bomber strikes until the 6th or 7th one finally coup-de-grace's me, and I finish with like 350 XP.

So according to my profile my average XP per match in the New York is 743, which means that once I finish all the upgrades it's still another 70+ matches of grinding to get to the New Mexico. Which I don't even care about any more than I care about the New York. And 100 matches or so of the NM, I have to face the Colorado, a consensus pick for worst BB in the game, before I can finally get a North Carolina, and the North Carolina is all I really want because I think it's the best looking ship in the game, I don't even have any particular desire to go after the IA or MT. But with the amount of time I have to play the NC is looking like it might end up being my Christmas present to myself at the rate I'm going.

And then I remember all of the time I spent grinding through awful mid-tier tanks I didn't care about in WoT to get to my "prize" tanks around tiers 7-8, and that when I got to that promised land the tanks I had been dreaming about playing turned out to be mostly rubbish and cost so much to maintain I had to keep playing all my mid-tier stuff anyway just to maintain a flow of credits, and I think to myself, "God dammit, did they get me again? Is this really what I want to be doing with my life?"

Gaslight on
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    Are you running premium, Gaslight? That +50% xp modifier for premium, and then another +50% for a win are what makes for those people with high exp averages.

And don't be so downtrodden about the Colorado, it's really not as people are bitching and moaning about it. I'm doing a fair bit better in it than I was in the New Mexico. It's really just more of the same, it just really punishes bad aim a lot more than the NM because of only 8 guns instead of 12. But if you can develop your aiming sense, you'll do just fine in it. That being said, I absolutely would not play it without at least free exping the first hull and engine.

• Options
    Simpsonia wrote: »
    Are you running premium, Gaslight? That +50% xp modifier for premium, and then another +50% for a win are what makes for those people with high exp averages.

No, I'm not running premium. That's the thing with WG games, I don't feel like they're P2W (gold ammo shenanigans in WoT which I guess are mostly resolved now aside) but I sometimes feel like they lean strongly towards P2HF - Pay To Have Fun. They intentionally make the mid-tier grind interminably miserable to try to get you to break down and buy premium time to power through it faster, but when you finally reach high tiers where the game is really supposed to "get good" and you get to drive all the sexiest vehicles sometimes it feels like there's no "there" there... like I said, either high-tier gameplay turns out to be disappointing, or you find out you STILL have to grind/pay for premium just to stop from hemorrhaging credits because the top-tier tanks/ships are such money pits.

Does the average XP really not account for whether people are running premium time or not?

• Options
    Nope, I guarantee everyone you see with average exps over 1200 are running premium. Been that way since back in WoT's time as well.

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    I know what you mean about the grind. I've went all the way up to the Iowa, but I gave in and used premium to do the last few jumps - not for the XP, since playing the North Carolina was pretty fun, but for the credits. The notion that if you have a bad game your cash stores take a hit is just pure anti-fun in my opinion since it adds stress to playing the game that isn't needed. Make everything more expensive, but take away the possibility of losing cash and it'd be a load better imo. At the minute, I love the feeling of nigh on invulnerability the Iowa can give at times but I don't think I could play it at all without premium.

As for the NY, I looked up my stats again. 66 games total at an average XP of 780 and an absolute best of 2042 XP. I'm pretty sure I used flags during that to speed it along a bit.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Maaaaaaaaaan. That paxbonus code could have been nice, i really need the port slots but I was too busy being at pax :(

Oh well, i got a couple extra codes for the marblehead if people want one when I get home. Always be Omahaing.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    @Knight_ I will take a code if you've still got them.

• Options
    JohanFlickJohanFlick Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Maaaaaaaaaan. That paxbonus code could have been nice, i really need the port slots but I was too busy being at pax :(

Oh well, i got a couple extra codes for the marblehead if people want one when I get home. Always be Omahaing.

I would also love the code if available.

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    I'd also love one of those marblehead codes if you got any left.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I will never get tired of cruisers who think sailing in a straight line broadside within 8km of a battleship is a good idea.

altid on
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    five hours of download later, this seems like a pretty solid game. I already really wish the tech tree and ship upgrade/unlock system weren't so ... byzantine?

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    five hours of download later, this seems like a pretty solid game. I already really wish the tech tree and ship upgrade/unlock system weren't so ... byzantine?

It's one of those things that seem natural when you're familiar with it. You buy a ship, you either spend money to unlock the upgrades or you spend time to unlock the upgrades. Many, many ships are perfectly playable stock. Some are less playable (the Phoenix comes to mind).

In all, it's a way to provide for real money to avoid grinding.

Enjoy the game. The low tiers are fun.

• Options
    I think i have 3, I'll look into it wednesday or thurs after I get home. Theyre hella buried in my bags and packing is terrible.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    0.4.1 is out patch notes under spoiler:
    Patch Notes
    Ranked Battles

Implemented a new game mode: Ranked Battles

Ranked Battles are available during a regular season and for a limited period of time. The launch of the first season will be announced additionally.

Ranked Battles become available once Service Record Level 9 is reached. Battles take place in a 7x7 format in the Domination mode. Each team may have no more than one aircraft carrier and no more than two battleships. The tiers of ships that may participate in Ranked Battles are governed by the rules of the Ranked Battles season.

Every participant of a Ranked Battle is awarded a star for every victory of their team. A player is promoted to the next rank once a certain number of stars has been earned. In case of a defeat or a draw, players may lose their ranks or stars. Ranks are divided into several groups. The first group is characterized by easier conditions for obtaining ranks and terms for losing ranks and stars. Players are selected to enter battles within their respective group of ranks.

For achieving certain ranks, as well as based on the results of a Ranked Battles season, players may get rewards in the form of unique game valuables.

In version 0.4.1, Ranked Battle scenarios are implemented on the following maps:

New Dawn North Fault Line

Ships

General changes:

Extended the action time of the Hydroacoustic Search consumable
    For the Japanese ships, bonus to a chance of setting enemy ships on fire is at maximum for 200 mm and 203 mm caliber guns with the other calibers having a lower bonuses
    For all destroyers, casemate resistance to damage was decreased to match the respective hull values
    For all destroyers, added a fourth point where the fire may potentially be started.
    For all ships, increased gunfire accuracy at close quarters (i.e. at distances of 0.2 km to 4 km), which resulted in a minor increase in the accuracy of fire at medium- and long-range distances
    The 'value' of a hit into the middle part of a destroyer was reduced to match the 'value' of hits into the bow or stern of these ships. Now, 'alpha strike' damage to the bow, stern, superstructures and the central part of the ship will not differ
    For all ships, changed the display of the rudder shift time. The time itself remains the same, the change affects its display only.
    AA characteristics scale of display has been changed. AA capacity has not changed, but in the integral characteristics view mode in the port the value has been lowered - this is necessary for correct display of increase in characteristics when ships modules and commander's skill are applied.

Consumables:

Extended the action time of the Hydroacoustic Search consumable from 40 to 90 seconds
    For U.S. Navy destroyers, extended the action time of Smoke Charges. The previous time for setting a smokescreen (20 seconds) was increased to 22 - 30 seconds depending on the tier of a destroyer. The 'lifetime' of a smokescreen was increased as well: it used to be within the range of 65 to 97 seconds depending on the tier of a ship. Now it will be within the range of 106 to 130 seconds.

U.S.A:

Increased action time of smoke charges,
    Beginning from Tier VI, introduced the Defensive Fire consumable.
    For the destroyers Farragut and Benson, the 'AA defense-oriented' hulls will become optional for research.
    The top (AA-defense-oriented) hulls of U.S. Navy destroyers will receive the Defensive Fire consumable.
    For the cruiser Cleveland, fixed the incorrect armoring of 6"/47 (152 mm/47) turrets: the armor of the bottom side of a turret was increased from 37 mm to 38 mm, and the armor of its rear side was decreased from 37 mm to 25 mm.
    For the cruiser Baltimore, fixed the incorrect armoring of 8"/55 (203 mm/55) turrets: the armor of the bottom side of a turret was increased from 19 mm to 38 mm, and the armor of its rear side was increased from 37 mm to 38 mm.
    For the battleship Wyoming, fixed the incorrect armoring of the 12"/50 (305 mm/50) turrets when mounted on the stock hull: the armor of the bottom part of a turret was decreased from 60 mm to 38 mm, and the armor of its upper part was decreased from 160 mm to 76 mm.
    The 152 mm AP/SC Mk27 mod. 2 shell was replaced with the 152 mm AP/SC Mk27 mod. 5 shell. The changes affected the cruisers Omaha, Marblehead and Phoenix
    Fixed the bug that prevented damage to the 12"/45 Mk5 (305 mm/45 Mk5) gun turrets. The change affected the battleship South Carolina
    Decreased the traverse speed of the 12"/50 Mk7 guns to 3.5 degrees per second.The change affected the battleship Wyoming
    Fixed the bug related to the high detectability of the Bliss-Leavitt Mk7 mod2A torpedoes: the detectability was reduced from 1.6 km to 1 km
    For the battleship Wyoming, changed the stock hull modification; the firing range with the stock hull was reduced from 12.790 m to 10.965 m; the viewing distance with the stock hull was reduced from 20.33 km to 17.71 km
    For the cruiser Omaha, fixed the bug related to the firing range with the top hull. The firing range was increased from 11.500 m to 13.465 m. The viewing distance with the top hull was increased from 18.39 km to 21.08 km
    For the cruiser New Orleans, fixed the bug related to the power of the AA defenses: the power of the stock hull AA defenses (40 mm Bofors guns) at a medium AA engagement distance underwent a twofold reduction.
    For the destroyer Sampson, increased the traverse speed of the main battery guns from 10 to 11.5 degrees per second.
    For the destroyer Wickes, increased the traverse speed of the main battery guns from 10 to 11.5 degrees per second.
    For the destroyer Wickes, converted the Bliss-Leavitt Mark 9 torpedoes into a researchable module.
    For the destroyer Nicholas, added the Defensive Fire consumable to Hull B instead of the Engine Boost consumable.
    For the destroyer Farragut, Hull C became optional for research. On this hull, the Engine Boost consumable was replaced with the Defensive Fire consumable.
    For the destroyer Mahan, added the Defensive Fire consumable to Hull B instead of the Engine Boost consumable.
    For the destroyer Benson, Hull C became optional for research. On this hull, the Engine Boost consumable was replaced with the Defensive Fire consumable.
    For the destroyer Gearing, the Defensive Fire consumable became available in addition to the Engine Boost consumable.
    For the destroyer Sims, separated the engagement areas of the Browning M2 and Oerlikon AA machine guns. The total engagement power has not changed: the firing range of the Oerlikon machine guns remains standard (2.1 km instead of 1.2 km earlier) while the firing range of the Browning M2 machine guns is reduced from 1.2 km to 0.9 km as compared with the previous range
    For the destroyer Sims, added an option to mount torpedoes
    For the destroyer Sims, the Defensive Fire consumable became available in addition to the Engine Boost consumable.
    Reduced the traverse speed of the main turrets on the battleship Wyoming
    For the destroyer Sims, added alternative torpedoes
    Added a new type of shell (152MM AP/SC MK27 MOD5) for the 152mm/53 guns: the change of the shell affected the cruisers Omaha and Phoenix
    Increased the firing range for the top hull (C) of the cruiser Omaha (the same increase is applied to Murmansk)
    Increased the rate of fire and the main battery traverse speed of the U.S. Navy destroyers Sampson and Wickes

Japan:

For ships without obvious superstructures, increased by 10% the distance of surface detection (the change affected the aircraft carriers Hosho, Zuiho and Ryujo)
    Modified the flight control modules; now, each research path offers at least one group of fighters
    Increased aircraft servicing time and takeoff/landing time
    Increased the traverse speed of the 120mm/45 guns from 4 degrees per second to 6 degrees per second. The change affected the destroyers Wakatake, Minekaze and Mutsuki
    Increased the traverse speed of the 127mm/50 Type C guns from 5 degrees per second to 6 degrees per second. The change affected the destroyers Fubuki and Kagero
    Increased the traverse speed of the 200mm/50 guns from 4 degrees per second to 5 degrees per second. The change affected the cruiser Furutaka
    Increased the traverse speed of the 203mm/50 guns from 4 degrees per second to 5 degrees per second. The reload time of the gun was decreased from 17 to 15 seconds. The change affected the cruiser Furutaka
    Decreased the traverse speed of the 155mm/50 guns from 4.5 degrees per second to 3.5 degrees per second. The number of the gun's 'hit points' was reduced by 20%. The changes affected the cruiser Mogami
    Increased the range of the 450 Type42 mod. 1 torpedoes from 4.5 km to 5 km. The changes affected the destroyers Tachibana and Umikaze
    Increased the arming time for the Type91 mod. 1A torpedoes from 2.5 seconds to 3 seconds. The change affected all Japanese aircraft carriers.
    The aircraft carrier Hosho: due to the re-adjustment of the visibility system (for easier identification of ships in absence of an explicitly visible island or a superstructure), increased the detection and identification distance as seen from the water surface (surface detectability range) from 7.92 km to 8.82 km.
    The aircraft carrier Zuiho: due to the re-adjustment of the visibility system (for easier identification of ships in absence of an explicitly visible island or a superstructure), increased the detection and identification distance as seen from the water surface (surface detectability range) from 8.46 km to 9.18 km.
    The aircraft carrier Zuiho: changed the composition of the Type 5 mod. 1 flight control to contain 1 torpedo bomber, 2 bomber and 1 fighter squadrons instead of 2 torpedo bomber, 1 bomber and 1 fighter squadrons
    The aircraft carrier Zuiho: changed the composition of the Type 5 mod. 2 flight control to contain 2 torpedo bomber, 1 bomber and 1 fighter squadrons instead of 3 torpedo bomber, 1 bomber and 0 fighter squadrons
    The aircraft carrier Ryujo: due to the re-adjustment of the visibility system (for easier identification of ships in absence of an explicitly visible island or a superstructure), increased the detection and identification distance as seen from the water surface from 9.0 km to 9.9 km.
    The aircraft carrier Ryujo: changed the composition of the Type 6 mod. 1 flight control to contain 1 torpedo bomber, 2 bomber and 1 fighter squadrons instead of 2 torpedo bomber, 1 bomber and 1 fighter squadrons
    The aircraft carrier Ryujo: changed the composition of the Type 6 mod. 2 flight control to contain 2 torpedo bomber, 2 bomber and 1 fighter squadrons instead of 3 torpedo bomber, 2 bomber and 0 fighter squadrons
    The aircraft carrier Ryujo: changed the composition of the Type 6 mod. 3 flight control to contain 1 torpedo bomber, 1 bomber and 3 fighter squadrons instead of 2 torpedo bomber, 2 bomber and 1 fighter squadrons
    The aircraft carrier Hiryu: changed the composition of the Type 7 mod. 2 flight control to contain 2 torpedo bomber, 2 bomber and 2 fighter squadrons instead of 3 torpedo bomber, 3 bomber and 0 fighter squadrons
    The aircraft carrier Hiryu: changed the composition of the Type 7 mod. 3 flight control to contain 1 torpedo bomber, 2 bomber and 3 fighter squadrons instead of 2 torpedo bomber, 2 bomber and 2 fighter squadrons
    The aircraft carrier Shokaku: changed the composition of the Type 8 mod. 2 flight control to contain 2 torpedo bomber, 2 bomber and 2 fighter squadrons instead of 3 torpedo bomber, 3 bomber and 0 fighter squadrons
    The aircraft carrier Shokaku: changed the composition of the Type 8 mod. 3 flight control to contain 1 torpedo bomber, 2 bomber and 3 fighter squadrons instead of 2 torpedo bomber, 2 bomber and 1 fighter squadrons
    The aircraft carrier Taiho: changed the composition of the Type 9 mod. 2 flight control to contain 3 torpedo bomber, 2 bomber and 1 fighter squadrons instead of 3 torpedo bomber, 3 bomber and 1 fighter squadrons
    The aircraft carrier Hakuryu: changed the composition of the Type 10 mod. 2 flight control to contain 3 torpedo bomber, 3 bomber and 2 fighter squadrons instead of 3 torpedo bomber, 4 bomber and 1 fighter squadrons
    For the battleships Kongo, Fuso, Nagato and Amagi, added an intermediate hull (B) as a researchable module.
    For the battleship Yamato, reduced the chance of fire on the ship by 3.3%
    For the cruiser Atago, corrected a misprint in the text of the torpedo description (Type90 mod. 1 instead of Type93 mod. 1). The characteristics of the torpedoes remain unchanged.
    For the cruiser Yubari, the Defensive Fire consumable is now effective for the medium-range engagement distance (heavy AA machine guns) as well
    For the cruiser Hashidate, decreased the number of hit points for the stock hull from 10,700 to 8,800 and for the top hull from 12,400 to 10,300
    For the cruiser Furutaka, reduced the rudder shift time for the top hull by 1.1 seconds.
    For the cruiser Furutaka, changed the research system. Implemented a straightforward gun research procedure whereby guns will be researched successively. Added Type8 mod. 2 torpedoes as a researchable module
    For the cruiser Myoko, increased the probability of a fire on the ship by 6.6%
    For the cruiser Mogami, decreased the probability of a fire on the ship by 6.6%
    For the destroyers Minekaze and Mutsuki, increased detectability distance from 5.94 km to 6.2 km
    For the destroyer Minekaze, excluded the Type89 torpedoes from researchable modules.
    Reduced the national bonus related to the probability of setting fire for all shells (except 200 mm and 203 mm caliber shells)
    For the cruiser Kitakami, added the Engine Boost consumable
    For the cruiser Kitakami: increased the effective aiming angles for torpedo tubes For the cruiser Mogami, reduced the aiming speed of the main turrets, and reduced the hit points of these turrets by 20%
    For the battleships Kongo, Fuso, Nagato and Amagi, added intermediate hulls as researchable modules
    For the cruiser Myoko, decreased the reload time of the main battery guns by 2 seconds.
    Reduced the probability of a fire on Mogami and Yamato by 3%, and increased the probability of a fire on Myoko by 3%
    For the Japanese destroyers Minekaze and Mutsuki, the detection distance was increased by 0,3 km
    Excluded the 533 mm Type 89 torpedo from researchable modules.
    Decreased the aiming angles of Minekaze's torpedo tubes.
    Increased the turret traverse speed of certain Japanese destroyers
    Increased the rate of fire and the main battery traverse speed of the Japanese cruiser Furutaka
    Reduced rudder shift time for the cruiser Furutaka
    Added the Engine Boost consumable to the cruiser Kitakami
    Increased the aiming angles of Kitakami’s torpedo tubes

USSR\Russia:

Shell of Cruiser Murmansk 152-mm AP/SC Mk27 mod.2 was renaimed into 152-mm AP/SC Mk27 mod.8. Characteristics remained the same.

Aviation

Added an alternative attack mode for fighter squadrons: Air Squadron Assault, activated by pressing Alt + LMB
    An air squadron carries out an assault upon a particular area on the map, designated by the player. Going at a high speed, fighters fly straight through the designated area, delivering massive fire at targets. All air squadrons (including allied ones) that happen to be within the impact area will take damage.
    Added aircraft fire visualization in the form of gun tracers.
    Fixed the incorrect display of a torpedo cone during a torpedo attack in automatic mode.
    Now, fighter squadrons cannot be ordered to perform several consecutive attacks at once (by pressing and holding Shift).

Aircraft:

Changed the turning radii for all aircraft. The average values remain close to those in the previous version.
    Increased ammunition capacity for all fighters
    Introduced a twofold increase (on average) in the self-defense power of all attack aircraft
    Normalized the self-defense power of all fighters in order to avoid significant variations across levels

Reporting

Implemented an automatic system for handling reports regarding chat misbehavior, capable of issuing chat bans to players.

Matchmaker

Implemented a "mirror balance" for aircraft carriers in terms of their number and tier in almost all cases (except for extremely rare occasions when the waiting time in queue is longer than the maximum time allowed).
    Implemented interruption of a series of battles that a player takes part in where the player's ship tier is lower that the level of the battle
    Now, the matchmaker distributes destroyers more evenly between opposite teams, when a battle is created.

Game Maps

Added two new maps: Straight:

The map features an Italian coast where, in 1940, for the first time ever heavy ships were attacked solely by carrier-based aviation. This operation "inspired" Japan's massive assault on Pearl Harbor. In 1943, the Allied fleet supported Operation "Husky", Operation "Avalanche" and many other operations of great importance for wartime achievements in Europe.

Size: 36x36 km

Modes: Standard Battle, Domination (3 key areas).

Solomon Islands:

One of the major Pacific Ocean campaigns carried out during World War II that took place in the vicinity of the Solomon Islands archipelago. Battles continued from 1942 until 1945. During 1942-1943, the largest sea battle - the Guadalcanal Campaign - took place in the waters of the archipelago. A strategically important airport Henderson Field is located on the island. After the battle, the U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt said, "It would seem that the turning point in this war has at last been reached."

Size: 30x30 km

Modes: Standard Battle, Domination (3 key areas)

Other map changes:
    * Added foliage to the following maps: North, Big Race, Islands, Hotspot, New Dawn, Two Brothers and Fault Line
    * Fixed gameplay components of the following maps: New Dawn and Fault Line
    * Disabled the initial diagonal placement of teams and the Domination mode (with 5 key areas) on the Hotspot map.

Graphics

Implemented a new technology of foliage visualization on maps

Sound

Made an overall improvement of sound effects in the game.
    Reworked the sounds of nearby flying shells.
    Improved the sound effects of jet-powered aircraft.
    Work is under way to improve performance.
    Added new music tracks.

Interface

Now, ship's characteristics are displayed taking into account the equipment mounted on the ship.
    Improved visualization of three-dimensional game interfaces
    Implemented the display of licensers in the game client
    Added an IME language panel (can be enabled in the Settings)
    Added input support for the Chinese, Korean and Japanese languages.
    Improved the Summary tab in the player's profile
    Implemented the option to display battle statistics separately for Co-op, Standard and Ranked Battles

System Changes

Added a change that will substantially simplify aiming at a ship moving over the border of the map ("kiting")

Not many changes really affect how I play, but the 3mil credits from rank 9 being added was nice as it let me rebuy a Kongo.

I missed that ship, accurate guns, insane range, so fast, turns sharp, decent AA. one of my favorite BBs

• Options
    OgotaiOgotai Registered User regular
    The new torps on the sims have about 9km range, but the other stats are way worse. 49kt speed and think 8.5k damage, down from over 11k.

• Options
    Ogotai wrote: »
    The new torps on the sims have about 9km range, but the other stats are way worse. 49kt speed and think 8.5k damage, down from over 11k.

I like the extra range over the speed/dmg as the sims is mostly a gunboat and getting in to 5k was bad for that.

I really wish they had the torp options in navyfield though, you could cycle between slow+long range or fast+short range during battle depending on the situation.

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    The new fighter ability is madness. I took out a fighter spec bogue and got 48 aircraft shot down.

(Only got 780 xp because my team sucked and aircraft exp is still terrible, but hey)

• Options
    Foomy wrote: »

I like the extra range over the speed/dmg as the sims is mostly a gunboat and getting in to 5k was bad for that.

I really wish they had the torp options in navyfield though, you could cycle between slow+long range or fast+short range during battle depending on the situation.

I still have the problem of in order to actually hit anything with the guns I need to be ~8km range due to the arc, for which the new torps are great, but at that range you can just get nuked by one volley from a cruiser/BB pretty easily. I can deal with the arc in the cleveland at longer ranges, but there you have three times the shells per volley and you're maneuvering less erratically.

• Options

I still have the problem of in order to actually hit anything with the guns I need to be ~8km range due to the arc, for which the new torps are great, but at that range you can just get nuked by one volley from a cruiser/BB pretty easily. I can deal with the arc in the cleveland at longer ranges, but there you have three times the shells per volley and you're maneuvering less erratically.

The gun thing just takes practice, I land hits at 12K+ pretty easy these days in it.

• Options
    I'm not seeing the Albany on the tech tree anywhere. Am I missing something?

• Options
    JohanFlickJohanFlick Registered User regular

It was a gift from Wargaming for their 17th anniversary. As far as I know, she is not available for purchase. Don't worry though, she is not a good ship.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    JohanFlick wrote: »

It was a gift from Wargaming for their 17th anniversary. As far as I know, she is not available for purchase. Don't worry though, she is not a good ship.

From what I could tell, it's basically a Chester...with the premium ship bonuses.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    I saw somebody laying down a non-stop volley with one, firing a gun maybe every two seconds.

• Options
    Its also got like 6km range and is as slow as the other ships of that tier, so it's really not a good ship

• Options
    edited September 2015
    I think the Albany used to be the tier II US cruiser and it got replaced by the Chester because it was so bad maybe?

Think about that. Replaced by the Chester. Because it was so bad.

Then they took it out of mothballs and made it an event premium (because hey, they can't just slap a new coat of paint on the Omaha/Phoenix/Murmansk model EVERY time they need a new premium ship for a promotion... Or CAN they???)

Gaslight on
  • Options
    It is sort of disheartening how long it takes to get out of sponson gunboats and into dreadnought-style enclosed turrets for the DDs.

• Options
    It is sort of disheartening how long it takes to get out of sponson gunboats and into dreadnought-style enclosed turrets for the DDs.

If it makes you feel any better, I don't think it makes any practical difference in the game. I mean, WOWS models turret armor thickness and such I am pretty sure but on a DD armor is so thin on the turrets (if it has them) and everywhere else as to have negligible impact on anything. Enemy DD's will just spam HE that sort of ignores armor at you, and an AP shell from virtually anything else is almost guaranteed to penetrate anyway.

• Options
    The fields of fire really bother me, actually. Before you upgrade stuff there's always windows on your fore and aft quarter where only two of your guns can hit.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    I've had a couple times today where a BB ate 5-6 torpedos and is still happily chugging along at a third of their health. Both times have been short range (under 2k), so I'm wondering if the fish aren't arming or if I'm just getting low rolls. Either way it is hilarious to pull up and basically park under the guns of a BB. Shame you can't really plink away enough health before the secondary batteries kill you.

edit: oh, how the turn tables. Just took out a pair of Wyo's in quick succession. I think it was juuuust too slow for the doublekill achievement. Got caught in a corner, popped smoke, and then doubled back to find them both looking elsewhere and sitting on a full reload timer while I closed the gap to torpedo.

Molybdenum on
  • Options
    What BBs did you hit?, some ships have thicker anti-torp buldges on the sides that will mitigate some of the damage if you get hit there. My warspite or new mex can eat a few hits to that armor and be ok and not flood too often from similar/lower tier torps, but ones that hit outside that or from say an atago will mess it up more.

There is a min range for ship launched torps, but it's really short, like 2-3 times the lenght of a torpedo

• Options
    I'm only up to the Isokaze right now, so my bread and butter is the 7-8km range. I've seriously hit my stride the last few games, and the rank-up bonus "free day of premium" is making for some nice Xp hauls:
    LQCGGgd.jpg

I went carrier hunting. Put in some solid work to pick up two BB torpedo kills on the way, then got a lucky torpedo salvo off on a destroyer coming to save the carriers. By that point the cruiser cavalry had arrived, but sped the demise of the two carriers.

• Options
    Managed to land 12 hits out of 43 shots on cruisers inside 10km in the New York for < 10k dmg.

Fired a full salvo (10 shots) at a Kuma @ < 7km, and 5 landed in the water in front of him and 5 sailed over top. RNG was not with me. BBs are skill!

• Options
    edited September 2015
    I think the Mutsuki is total trash. Uttery garbage. Completely devoid of strengths.

I detest slow torps. Gimme my 7km 63nt torps from the Minekaze, and I'll be alright. I'm switching to the stock torps now.

Edit:
    The stock Mutushi torps don't help. damn.

kilnborn on
  • Options
    kilnborn wrote: »
    Managed to land 12 hits out of 43 shots on cruisers inside 10km in the New York for < 10k dmg.

Fired a full salvo (10 shots) at a Kuma @ < 7km, and 5 landed in the water in front of him and 5 sailed over top. RNG was not with me. BBs are skill!

bbs are skill with a large blob of rng over top. sometimes the rng eats you :p I had a shot in my NM last night on a Pensacola at ~8k and watching the shot pattern from the instant it was out of the gun, i'd have thought everyone on ship was drunk. wish i had a ss of it, was the weirdest dispersion i ever had.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options

bbs are skill with a large blob of rng over top. sometimes the rng eats you :p I had a shot in my NM last night on a Pensacola at ~8k and watching the shot pattern from the instant it was out of the gun, i'd have thought everyone on ship was drunk. wish i had a ss of it, was the weirdest dispersion i ever had.

12 out 43 sounds about right, most people get ~30% acc in bbs.

• Options
    eh, not at less than 10km though. That 30% is taking into account a lot of shots taken at 15+ (and the all the tine abysmal accuracy of the T3-4 BBs).

• Options

12 out 43 sounds about right, most people get ~30% acc in bbs.

Wasn't just the 27% accuracy on the short-range shots, it was the < 10k damage those 12 hits did. Annoying.

• Options
    ok, i finally unpacked and found those codes. gonna send them to @Gaslight @Foomy and @JohanFlick via pm i suppose since they were first to respond.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    ok, i finally unpacked and found those codes. gonna send them to @Gaslight @Foomy and @JohanFlick via pm i suppose since they were first to respond.

Thanks a bunch.