As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Social game Assassins Ball: Rise of Sorengard at PAX Prime 2015! Make new friends!

2»

• shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    DeToX86 wrote: »
    Can you give me an idea of how many players you typically have at PAX? I'm interested, but with only about 40 people in on the KS it seems like it would be very unlikely to find someone to assassinate?
    Thanks in advance.
    The last two games we've ended with between 75 and 100 players; at East this year we had around 75 players. Right now, there's 55 people from the kickstarter playing.

There's no guarantee you'll find a player regardless of how many people are playing, though the more that play the higher the likelihood you will. As @DapperPumpkin mentions, there will be meetups throughout the day (morning and afternoon) to meet players and find targets, gather intel, etc. A lot of people employ friends or team up with other players to help find targets as well. :)

And honestly, some of the most fun is the feeling when you find a needle in a haystack - my absolute favorite "kill" from last PAX was an Elizabeth cosplayer I saw in passing going through the Expo Hall. Quick 180 turn, short follow, and "Hi, Love your cosplay, do you mind if I kill you?"

• DeToX86DeToX86 Registered User regular
    Thanks for the info!

• PunkJrPunkJr Decepticon Infiltrator Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    EDIT TO ADD - I FOUND IT!

Will there be an opportunity for people to buy in now that the Kickstarter has ended? -- YES, Click Here.

PunkJr on
    daaeZs9.png
    PunkJr
    Pirate, Stormtrooper, Decepticon
    Yes, my middle name really is MEGATRON
    Former Ravenclaw Death Eaters Head of House
  • MarsCheliosMarsChelios Registered User regular
    I don't think I've put it on here yet. Kits can now be purchased through the sites online store here: store.phenixone.com

• tokyovoguetokyovogue Registered User new member
    Yeahhhh! Thank you! Convinced my little brother to play with me while we're there! :D YAYAYAY

tokyovogue wrote: »
    Yeahhhh! Thank you! Convinced my little brother to play with me while we're there! :D YAYAYAY
    Yay indeed! :biggrin:

• KarickKarick Registered User regular
    Gout our kits in the mail!

• PunkJrPunkJr Decepticon Infiltrator Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Got my kits this morning!!

daaeZs9.png
    PunkJr
    Pirate, Stormtrooper, Decepticon
    Yes, my middle name really is MEGATRON
    Former Ravenclaw Death Eaters Head of House
  • DapperPumpkinDapperPumpkin Registered User regular
    PunkJr wrote: »

Very nice! I assume closer to PAX we'll get the information about picking up our kits directly from @MarsChelios?

PunkJr wrote: »
    Awesome!

Very nice! I assume closer to PAX we'll get the information about picking up our kits directly from @MarsChelios?
    Yep! More info on that should be out next week.

• primalwulfprimalwulf Registered User regular
    I just purchased a kit, since yesterday I successfully swapped an extra Sunday badge for a Saturday badge. . .thus I can assassinate!
    I'm really glad to see the rule/mechanic changes develop since 2012, when I first played. The shift towards 'never-ending play' and the addition of challenges, bounties, etc.--though more complicated--offers more options.
    One thing that is new for myself is having & using an iPhone. Knowing that it can scan QR codes, can there be a walkthrough on 'how to scan a QR code to log on the website'? I ask this because when I played in 2012 I had zero success at logging kills on the website inputting the alphanumeric codes (and I had five kills in two days), which set me off from wanting to/playing at all in 2013.

I'm fascinated by the programming (back-end) that goes into this. I haven't programmed anything since Pascal/C++ in 1997 . . .and I'm curious/intrigued about your approach. Any chance you can share, even anecdotally, how you approached this design challenge?

Thanks!

primalwulf wrote: »
    I just purchased a kit, since yesterday I successfully swapped an extra Sunday badge for a Saturday badge. . .thus I can assassinate!
    I'm really glad to see the rule/mechanic changes develop since 2012, when I first played. The shift towards 'never-ending play' and the addition of challenges, bounties, etc.--though more complicated--offers more options.
    Great! Welcome back! :smile:
    One thing that is new for myself is having & using an iPhone. Knowing that it can scan QR codes, can there be a walkthrough on 'how to scan a QR code to log on the website'? I ask this because when I played in 2012 I had zero success at logging kills on the website inputting the alphanumeric codes (and I had five kills in two days), which set me off from wanting to/playing at all in 2013.
    The QR codes are representations of the alphanumeric code, whether it be on the Player Badge or the Kill Confirm card. It 's there for a future app that will make things easier to register badges/confirm kills. Even though the app isn't out yet it's still makes doing these things a little easier than manual entry.

There's a number of QR Code reader apps on iOS/Android/other devices that will allow you to copy the resulting output and paste it into the appropriate area of the website.

The issue that you ran into in 2012 was most likely due to having to enter two sets of codes to confirm a kill, one for the mission and one for the kill confirm code; mixing up a mission or kill confirm code cause lots of headaches. This was an issue a lot of people ran into back then and one of the many reasons missions are now virtual.

In the current game you only need to enter the kill confirm code since the system already knows which mission you have. In the three games since moving to this I've not heard of any codes straight up not working. Full disclosure: there were some issues with distinguishing zeroes and O's early on but a font switch makes those clearer now.
    I'm fascinated by the programming (back-end) that goes into this. I haven't programmed anything since Pascal/C++ in 1997 . . .and I'm curious/intrigued about your approach. Any chance you can share, even anecdotally, how you approached this design challenge?
    Thanks!
    Ever since the site update in 2013 the general approach has focused on iterative design and heavy testing. Basically I fix any issues found from the last game, add small new features, and improve old features as much as possible.

Testing is almost entirely automated now from in the past. In the 2013 East game there were only a few tests, 2013 Prime went to about 35, 2014 East shot up to around 70 and I'm currently about to break a hundred right now with more to go. Most of the new tests focus on the Bounty and Challenge additions.

Awesome questions. Let me know if you have any more!

edited August 2015
    nzoh7c2e3tsz.png

I'm excited to announce our charity event that will be happening during the game this year! The charity event for Rise of Sorengard puts the final donation amount in players hands by tying it to in-game actions! For each assassination in the game, $1 will be donated to Seattle Children's Hospital through Extra Life, up to 5 assassinations per player.

There will be a page on the site where you'll be able to see the current donation amount and your own contribution to it as the game progress.

MarsChelios on
    Now that I've ordered and received my kit. . .it seems like there is (currently) a disproportionate number of ninjas and raiders. . .which prompts me to ask:
    a) what limit did you set on number of kits?
    b) how many total players are 'registered' as of the date you read this?

(and despite initial 'good lor those badges are HUGE!', upon receiving them I really like them and hope it will make it easier to actually _FIND_ other assassins this year :) ).

a) what limit did you set on number of kits?
    Player badges are generated in groups before being printed, each group runs the combinations of colors and shapes for a game with factions randomly distributed. Typically one faction will have a few more than another but they average out to be around the same number. What people choose for their faction is another matter, the only limiting factor is the quantity available.
    b) how many total players are 'registered' as of the date you read this?
    Looks like there are 7 people registered at the moment.

ONLY seven assassins in ALL of Pax Prime?! Really?

ONLY seven assassins in ALL of Pax Prime?! Really?
    I think there may be a misunderstanding here. In my experience most players don't register their kits until they get to PAX. Some players don't have their kits yet, they are in the mail from ordering after the Kickstarter, and there are a number of kits that players outside the US are picking up at meetups.

If you have a concern feel free to voice it or ask more questions. I'll do what I can to answer them. :smile:

edited August 2015
    Meetup schedule is out!

Meetups
    Meetups are pre-specified places and times where I'll be available to answer game questions or to resolve any issues you're experiencing. Meetups are also a great way to find and assassinate your fellow players!

Meetups are free game and a great for racking up a few quick assassinations. Keep in mind that being assassinated:
    • Does not eliminate you from the game
    • Does not affect your score
    • Does not affect your current mission in any way

If you're having trouble tracking down your target the meetups are a great place to camp out! Specific details about meetups will be announced in this section closer to PAX. There will be at least two meetups every day; one in the morning and one in the afternoon.

Meetup Schedule
    All meetups will be in the International Meeting Place on Level 2, in front of the Juicy Cafe. From main entrances head up escalators to Level 2 then around (not up) the the escalators to Level 3.

Friday, Saturday, Sunday Meetups
    • Morning Meetup: 10:00AM-10:30AM
      Stop in to pick up or buy a kit, ask a question about the game, find a target or grab some intel.
    • Afternoon Meetup: 3:00AM-3:30AM
      Stop in to pick up or buy a kit, ask a question about the game, find a target or grab some intel.

Monday Meetups
    • Morning Meetup: 10:00AM-10:30AM
    • Afternoon Meetup: 3:00AM-3:30AM
      Stop in to pick up or buy a kit, ask a question about the game, find a target or grab some intel, and join in on the group photo for the game!
    • Final Meetup (Unhosted): 6:00PM
      Stop by to grab one final kill, gather one last piece of intel, and say goodbye to all the friends and enemies you've made!

At all meetups look for my sign to find me:
    p5drar2txz6p.png

MarsChelios on
    Kit registered. Almost forgot to do that!
    Glad I have a smart-phone this year, so I can log kills & intel immediately.

• KarickKarick Registered User regular
    When can we expect the shirts we got from kickstarter?

Karick wrote: »
    When can we expect the shirts we got from kickstarter?
    They will be shipped separately after they are printed. Orders for those are being put in this week.

The morning meetup for Sunday and Monday has been changed from 9:30-10:00 to 10:00-10:30.

One more meetup change. Due to a scheduling conflict I will not be able to be at the final 6:00PM meetup Monday so it will be unhosted. The group photo for the game will be taken at the 3:00-3:30 meetup Monday afternoon.