As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Grexit and the EU

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Dunder wrote: »
    Trace wrote: »
    which Balkan states are in the EU?

Croatia, Bulgaria, Greece

Okay.

Assuming the EU basically abandons Greece what do you think the reaction of Croatia and Bulgaria will be?

Do they support the austerity measures in the first place themselves? Do you think they might choose to leave?

How does this hurt those economies? What are the effects on the local regional economy?

What if a nation like China offered to bail out Greece?

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    of the three, only Greece is in the Eurozone; Croatia and Bulgaria both use their own currency. Croatia's kuna isn't even pegged to the Euro. so: probably not very much. Greece is likely to remain politically affiliated to the EU regardless, even if it discards the common market for capital controls temporarily.

austerity: both are dramatically poorer than Greece. It is hard to sympathize about pension cuts when your pensions are even lower to begin with. Bulgaria is additionally heavily dependent on Greek trade and the capital controls hurt it badly. still, they do have an obvious reason to stand with a small country resisting the tendency for Germany to prioritize its own concerns

my read is that China seems unlikely to be interested, nor Russia, since Greece is likely to remain politically affiliated to the EU regardless and also it's going to default. I am no IR expert though.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    Lol, Varoufakis had to resign because all of the other finance ministers personally hate his guts.

You know you're doing something right if you make stoic neoliberal technocrats actively hate you.

You don't really believe that, do you? He did it just to further his narrative of being the rebel that's being hated by 'the man'

I wonder why so many people fall for his transparent act

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    You don't really believe that, do you? He did it just to further his narrative of being the rebel that's being hated by 'the man'.

This doesn't really seem provable, or very likely.

Isn't it far more likely that Tsipras asked a member of his team who was unpopular with the EU to resign in order to smooth the way for new negotiations?

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    no, I think it's internal party politics; varoufakis is too conservative (and, the real problem, is too indelicate in this conservatism himself to be rationalized)

he can go on about international imbalances but not in a sufficiently Marxist way

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    That also sounds more reasonable than a swan dive into an empty swimming pool purely to promote a vague brand of 'rebel' to an unidentified audience for an unidentified gain.

• Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    I guess the best way to smooth things over with EU would be to show up to todays meeting with a proposal, which they didn't. I wonder if they're banking on the EU to throw them out of the Euro and declare Greece bankrupt in order to save face at home?

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    Dunder wrote: »
    which Balkan states are in the EU?

Croatia, Bulgaria, Greece

Okay.

Assuming the EU basically abandons Greece what do you think the reaction of Croatia and Bulgaria will be?

Do they support the austerity measures in the first place themselves? Do you think they might choose to leave?

How does this hurt those economies? What are the effects on the local regional economy?

What if a nation like China offered to bail out Greece?
    Barring any radical shifts in our political landscape, Croatia will do whatever Germany tells them to.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    Lol, Varoufakis had to resign because all of the other finance ministers personally hate his guts.

You know you're doing something right if you make stoic neoliberal technocrats actively hate you.

You don't really believe that, do you? He did it just to further his narrative of being the rebel that's being hated by 'the man'

I wonder why so many people fall for his transparent act

I find it fairly easy to believe, especially if he was brought in from outside the financial bureaucracy. These finance ministers often live in a rarified world for the most part, and the general posturing of the Syriza government would seem repugnant to them.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    You don't really believe that, do you? He did it just to further his narrative of being the rebel that's being hated by 'the man'.

This doesn't really seem provable, or very likely.

Isn't it far more likely that Tsipras asked a member of his team who was unpopular with the EU to resign in order to smooth the way for new negotiations?

Dunno, the guy is all about show. It's the typical southern european macho shtick, I know it from when I visit my relatives down there

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    I guess the best way to smooth things over with EU would be to show up to todays meeting with a proposal, which they didn't. I wonder if they're banking on the EU to throw them out of the Euro and declare Greece bankrupt in order to save face at home?

Yeah that was ... odd.

I'm not sure how to interpret it but certainly the euro side seem understandably disgruntled.

Possibly gauging reaction to proposals they haven't finalised? It might make sense if the Greeks have a pretty good idea what they're willing to give ground on but aren't sure how much ground it's necessary to give to reach an agreement.

Although if that's the case at this point, well

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »

Yeah that was ... odd.

I'm not sure how to interpret it but certainly the euro side seem understandably disgruntled.

Possibly gauging reaction to proposals they haven't finalised? It might make sense if the Greeks have a pretty good idea what they're willing to give ground on but aren't sure how much ground it's necessary to give to reach an agreement.

Although if that's the case at this point, well
    "I'm very cheerless about this summit and I'm very cheerless about the fact whether Greece wants to come with proposals at all," the Netherlands Prime Minister Mark Rutte is quoted by Reuters as saying in Brussels. "It seems they have put the old proposals on the table again, if we can believe the reports."

Sounds like they turned up with the old proposals which is adding insult to injury really.

• Options
    Told you so.. they are riding high and want to pressure the rest europe to do what they want

Not that I agree with austerity measures in this case, but they are either completely oblivious to how it play out in the rest of europe, politically, or they want to rile up the populace of the other countries so everything fits their "evil EU money terrorist" narrative

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Pardon me for the ignorance but isn't the only proposal greece being offered "cut until you literally have no government/infrastructure left?" I mean both sides seem to come to these talks with no new ideas.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I haven't followed Spain closely but what's the deal with them saying "take the deal we cut until nothing was left and it worked out great for us"

• Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    Pardon me for the ignorance but isn't the only proposal greece being offered "cut until you literally have no government/infrastructure left?" I mean both sides seem to come to these talks with no new ideas.

The latest proposal from EU actually contained few cuts (except for military spending) and instead were centred around tax increases, tax evasion measures, pension reforms and privatization.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular

The latest proposal from EU actually contained few cuts (except for military spending) and instead were centred around tax increases, tax evasion measures, pension reforms and privatization.
    mandating another country's defense spending strikes me as a poor precedent. Especially as Greece is unlikely meeting the 2% of GDP target set by NATO...but no one else meets that, aside from the US and apparently Estonia

• Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Dynagrip wrote: »

mandating another country's defense spending strikes me as a poor precedent. Especially as Greece is unlikely meeting the 2% of GDP target set by NATO...but no one else meets that, aside from the US and apparently Estonia

4% in 2009, down to 2,3% in 2013, apparently. Don't know where they're now at.

Edit- OK, wiki has different numbers, but still: "Greece is the largest importer of conventional weapons in Europe and its military spending is the highest in the European Union (relative to G.D.P)."

Sounds like a good point to start cutting.

Haphazard on
  • Options

Yeah, there's a discrepancy there between the organizations. Military spending is just an easy target for cutting. My guess is that it really doesn't matter much. A lot of the current budget is probably vanishing in corrupt pockets.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular

both sides come with no new ideas.

but one side walked away from the talks trying iffy stuff while deadlines were on the table, had a referendum (which I might add again Varoufakis said 'might not be necessary *nudge* *nudge*) then came back to the table without any offers at the alotted time and then said "we'll do it live!" which is basically expected to be a revised version that was on the table they initially walked away from.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Greece's proposals regarded reducing the primary surplus targets and focusing on tax evasion. The red line for Tsipras is pension cuts, and by all accounts he was close to folding on that before he surprised everyone with the referendum.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    scherbchen wrote: »

but one side walked away from the talks trying iffy stuff while deadlines were on the table, had a referendum (which I might add again Varoufakis said 'might not be necessary *nudge* *nudge*) then came back to the table without any offers at the alotted time and then said "we'll do it live!" which is basically expected to be a revised version that was on the table they initially walked away from.

The other side also decided to freeze Greek banks as, basically, a big fuck you to the Greek government.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

The other side also decided to freeze Greek banks as, basically, a big fuck you to the Greek government.

please explain what you mean by "freeze Greek banks".

• Options
    edited July 2015
    shryke wrote: »

please explain what you mean by "freeze Greek banks".

Um, did you miss them cutting off bank financing to greek banks?

It's been kinda a thing.

shryke on
  • Options
    I was kind of curious which "them" we were talking about to be honest. it gets confusing at times.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

Yeah, there's a discrepancy there between the organizations. Military spending is just an easy target for cutting. My guess is that it really doesn't matter much. A lot of the current budget is probably vanishing in corrupt pockets.

Dunno how much Greece is currently actually spending (absolute or by GDP), but from my Greek friends the military is kind of a big deal; they really hate the Turks (for historical reasons and due to Cyprus).

Despite both Turkey and Greece being NATO countries, they apparently have their own mini cold war going on. It's a funny old world.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    The EU has given Greece until Thursday to come up with a new plan and said they will be concluding this process one way or the other "by the end of the week."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-33437797

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    The EU has given Greece until Thursday to come up with a new plan and said they will be concluding this process one way or the other "by the end of the week."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-33437797

Ominous.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Relief.

• Options
    zakkielzakkiel Registered User regular
    I was kind of curious which "them" we were talking about to be honest. it gets confusing at times.

The ECB.

Account not recoverable. So long.
  • Options
    I am sorry I should expand on that. 5 years spent now on an economy with the value of Hesse. with little to no end in sight.

I do not kid when I say that forgiving the entire debt and letting our politicians dealing with something other than Greece woul be very welcome indeed.

there is a bit of a refugee crisis going on, Putin is being a total dick and there are some internal issues we would very much like to get to one day.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Yeah, I doubt the Greeks want to cut military spending any time soon.

Its kinda funny, Greece might make a good ally for Russia (Mediterranean ports). However, they can't, due to their money woes help Greece.

That, and Turkey and Russia have been pretty chummy recently.

JusticeforPluto on
  • Options
    zakkiel wrote: »

The ECB.

wait. were we not talking about two or more sides negotiating?

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    The ECB did not cut funding. It merely denied additional funding. The Greek banks are solely alive because the ECB pumped 84 Billion Euros into them, and they have to up that number if they want to open on Monday. And the ECB basically said "This is starting to look like throwing away money, first get a deal, then we'll talk about more money"

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    zakkielzakkiel Registered User regular
    The ECB can't throw away money. It's a central bank. It creates the stuff.

Account not recoverable. So long.
  • Options
    SanderJK wrote: »
    The ECB did not cut funding. It merely denied additional funding. The Greek banks are solely alive because the ECB pumped 84 Billion Euros into them, and they have to up that number if they want to open on Monday. And the ECB basically said "This is starting to look like throwing away money, first get a deal, then we'll talk about more money"

Nah, what they did was use their position to put additional pressure on the greek government, at the expense of the greek people.

It's not like they are cutting anyone else off.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    To put it in more precise terms:

The ECB judged back in February that Greek bonds were no longer sufficient collateral for loans between the ECB and Greek banks. The reason is that all 3 agencies rate the Greek bonds as junk status, which makes them ineligible. They however offered to take collateral under the ELA program, which is meant as an emergency stopgap to stop bankruns in case a bank is failing.
    This has now continued for 5 months, and the amount has been upped several times to the aforementioned 84B. As the more and more people took money out of Greek banks, this money is the only thing that has kept them afloat. The Greek banks are rumored to have less than 500 million euros left. Between all of them. An estimated 30% of their loans are nonperforming.

Even Central Banks just don't give away free money. They can loan money, but they expect it back. That kind of trust is incredibly important in a fractional banking system. If Greek bonds fail, the ECB loses 84B. And they don't want it to be more than that.

• Options
    SpoonySpoony Registered User regular
    Setting aside the question EU members forgiving Greek debt setting a bad precedent, there is also a question if doing so wouldn't be a violation of EU treaty. EU member states are prohibited from assuming commitments and liabilities of other members without mutual financial guarantees. Effectively, the transfer of funds must include conditions and terms. Plus, the debtor remains liable even in the event of non-payment.

Any debt forgiveness would be a de facto assumption of the other nation's commitments. This doesn't apply to non-EU states or private entities, but since the vast majority of the debt is owned by EU states, it's rather academic.

• Options
    Morat242Morat242 Registered User regular
    Except that the ELA to Greece is provided by the Central Bank of Greece.

"Responsibility for the provision of ELA lies with the NCB(s) concerned. This means that any costs of, and the risks arising from, the provision of ELA are incurred by the relevant national central bank." Greece is on the hook for the ELA if Greek banks default because of bank runs. Instead, the ECB is taking actions which guarantee default.

So, the ECB is not even trying to fulfill its mission of maintaining inflation near 2%. It is every central bank's responsibility to prevent bank runs, which they have catastrophically failed at. They have rejected the mission of helping the eurozone economy grow and keeping unemployment low. What the fuck do they think their job actually is?

• Options
    Morat242 wrote: »
    Except that the ELA to Greece is provided by the Central Bank of Greece.

"Responsibility for the provision of ELA lies with the NCB(s) concerned. This means that any costs of, and the risks arising from, the provision of ELA are incurred by the relevant national central bank." Greece is on the hook for the ELA if Greek banks default because of bank runs. Instead, the ECB is taking actions which guarantee default.

So, the ECB is not even trying to fulfill its mission of maintaining inflation near 2%. It is every central bank's responsibility to prevent bank runs, which they have catastrophically failed at. They have rejected the mission of helping the eurozone economy grow and keeping unemployment low. What the fuck do they think their job actually is?

The Governing Council of the ECB can override the ELA handout by an NCB if the amount is above 2B, the NCB has to get the money from the ECB.

The ECB has also been pretty on point with it's 2% inflation target:

4sRhOa4.png Instead of cutting of just the last 2 years just after the last surge. The economy is unpredictable, and even running a massive QE program is still not increasing inflation.

The goal of the ECB is to provide stability in the Eurozone. That goes well beyond saving any bank.

Most other nations in the EU bailed out their banks by buying out bad debt / nationalizing (The Dutch did it for a total of 40 billion euros, or 10% of our GDP, and we expect to recover just over half of it), but in the Greek case that is not possible, because the bad debt is the thing that would pay for the buyout: Government Bonds.