Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Who... Are... You? [Introductions Thread]

• QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    That is pretty bad! Do you remember why you did it? The kids at my bus stop used to pick these little berries off a bush and toss them in front of passing cars for fun. Kids are weird.

Anyway, welcome!

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Abusive home & school environment (the teacher in question was not a part of the latter. In fact I didn't even know whose car it was). I was a horrific kid (fortunately, I then transition into a merely dumb as shit teenager).

I wanted to wreck something, had no appreciation for the value of a car windshield and thought it was a good target. Fortunately for me, the teacher who owned the car caught me in the middle of the vandalism, and that was the one time that shitty behavior on my part wasn't simply dealt with via yelling & violence (even though that was also the one occasion that surely would've justified it).

Not today, motherfucker
    DoctorJest
  • MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    Hi, I'm MrGrim. I keep poking my head in here and read some stuff and mean to post and then something grabs my neck and hauls me back out before I ever get around to it.

I once wrote a story about staring at a wall because my creative writing professor said you couldn't write an interesting story about that. He was wrong. These days I don't actually write very much, but I do tend to sit down and tell stories to kids, which is nice. Those are usually made up adventure stories or tales about how we're all gonna get eaten by the giant squids that lives on the city' roofs. Honestly, I'd like to find the time to write down some of my child stories at some point, if only to not lose them.

Phish Food is the best ice cream, but anything without pistachios will do.

Oh, and I just started on a nursing degree so now I'll have even less time.

KCWiseAmaliabigrickcooktapeslinger
    Ooh, another nurse! You and VanityPants can chat. Hospital or private practice?

I feel like there's a growing market for fun, pulpy kinds of stories these days. Not that you have to push to publish, of course. But I feel like we're on the cusp of a pendulum swing away from grimdark, or at least a broadening of the SFF wish list.

Neither just yet, I'm only a couple of weeks into the degree so I'll be a while before I get to work anywhere. But I'm looking forwards to finishing and finding something to do.

I agree, I've been picking up lots of very random new tittles the last 6 months and quite like how a lot of dark elements are being put into lighter stories for some interesting twists. Like how eldritch horrors suddenly showed up in Military Sci-Fi thanks to Kloos.

Sorry, I meant more where you thought you might want to work, but I guess it's probably too early to know. It should hopefully be easy to find a job, at least.

It's all about finding the right balance for the story, I suppose. Genre mash-ups are a favorite around these parts for sure.

Right, sorry. Yeah, I have no idea and my only plan is to try as much as possible in the practical parts of the course and see what sticks. I do enjoy working with children so I might specialize towards that, but we'll see.

That's true. No reason to let things like genre stop you from putting what you want into your story.

• BerkshireBerkshire Registered User regular
    Hi all!

I go by Berkshire because it's the name of the county I live in (Massachusetts, not the UK)- I know, it's not super-imaginative, which doesn't bode well for a writer. I work for a nonprofit, and while my work is engaging and I'm at least passable at it, it's just a job. I love games (which is what brought me to PA years ago) and reading (nonfiction and historical fiction first, but sci-fi and fantasy also). Around the middle of my college years, I realized that what I liked about games (in particular, but also other forms of non-literature media) was the stories. Fun gameplay is neat, but I need a compelling narrative.

I've written a couple of short stories that I've shared with friends to some acclaim (a theater-oriented friend of mine directed a dramatic reading and Q&A of one particular work while I was in college, which was one of the best, most-gratifying experiences of my life to this point), but I never capitalized on that momentum.

I'm here because I've had a big, expansive idea bouncing around in my head, harassing me for a few years now. It's a giant piece, involving generations and generations of characters and lots of science I'll have to puzzle out. Frankly, it's a terrifying challenge, and I've come to the conclusion that, as-is, I don't have the chops to carry it off. I am hoping that by hanging around here, I may benefit from the collective wisdom of so many dedicated writers and perhaps get moving on this thing. It will unquestionably be my magnum opus if I ever get it written, but the process of getting it going is daunting.

If we're talking ice cream, I guess anything with peanut butter works for me. I don't have a lot of impressive tricks, but I DO have the ability to upset everyone around me with a well-timed pun. As a kid, I did accidentally hit my best friend (still my best friend two decades later, so it didn't mar our friendship that much) in the head with a snow shovel while building a fort.

So, that's me in a nutshell. Looking forward to reading, observing, and hopefully occasionally contributing something meaningful.

"And don't you ever stand for that sort of thing. Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    GT: FootlongKaPow
    tapeslingerKCWiseQuothAmalia
  • KCWiseKCWise Barefoot in my Husband's KitchenRegistered User regular
    Berkshire! Welcome to TWB! Can't wait to hear more about your big project!

I'm in MetroWest! I'm so jealous of you because the Berkshires are pretty much the most beautiful place on Earth.

Hope you jump right into a thread. This is a great group of folK with a fantastic bank of awesome wisdom. And if you need help brainstorming, consider popping into the IRC channel some afternoon!

• AmaliaAmalia AuthorFace Registered User regular
    Hey Berkshire! I'm in the NY Capital District, so not so far away!

Just remember -- one word, one sentence, one page at a time. Big projects like you're describing -- they still start small.

Sometimes I blog. Other times I tweet. But I'm always writing. (and so is that other Amalia)

Give the Gift of Thor! Or maybe you'd be interested in that Orc Book I wrote.
    KCWise
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    As well, if the whole seems overwhelming, you can always start small and piecemeal until you get a feel for it. Maybe write a little vignette or short piece featuring one of your characters. Even if it doesn't wind up in the finished work, it can help you understand your character, figure out how he talks and thinks, determine his back story, develop your writing style, and just serve as a practice piece to polish so that you get some practice taking a work to completion.

Great having you around! Feel free to come chat with us in the chat thread, or contribute to the Word of the Day, and other little community projects we have going on.

Maddie: "I named my feet. The left one is flip and the right one is flop. Oh, and also I named my flip-flops."

I make tweet.
    tapeslinger
  • BerkshireBerkshire Registered User regular
    Thanks for the encouragement, guys! I'm looking forward to spending a little time in this world.

"And don't you ever stand for that sort of thing. Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    GT: FootlongKaPow
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Hello WB. I just decided to poke my head in for the first time in a while. I see you've changed the place around a bit. I like the new drapes.

I have made some fairly lax efforts at writing in the past. I'm sure some people here remember me moaning my way through a few previous NaNos. Now I have a living/work situation which features some spare time, crummy internet and limited access to electricity, and I feel like maybe writing would be a good thing to have another go at.

I don't really know how or where to begin. I'm not even sure why exactly I want to write, I just kind of do. I have some vague ideas about settings I'd like to play with but nothing solid enough to actually make something out of. So I guess I need to work on that.

My main writing practice recently has come from a journal blog I've kept since the start of this year. I used to write it weekly but in the last three months it's been more like fortnightly, so it's not exactly a lot of practice. But I do feel like my writing has got a bit less boring and a bit more like a human being talking, so yay?

Favourite ice cream is either raspberry ripple or chocolate. But any kind is awesome these days because I live in a super hot place but rarely get to eat it. Such a cruel fate.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
    “When the last tree is cut, the last river poisoned, and the last fish dead, we will realise that we cannot eat money.”

Blog: All's Veld That Ends Veld
    Amalia
    Smooooof hey! Make yourself comfortable. Peruse. If you're not sure what to write, there are many writing prompt-like things around for you to jump on.

Also, note to all new people: you can totally come hang out in the IRC if you ever need motivational nudges, or brainstorming sessions, or to run actual sprints with other people in a semi-together fashion.

KCWise
  • bigrickcookbigrickcook Dord of Lance? OklahomaRegistered User regular
    Quoth wrote: »
    Also, note to all new people: you can totally come hang out in the IRC if you ever need motivational nudges, or brainstorming sessions, or to run actual sprints with other people in a semi-together fashion.

Or to make dick and fart jokes.

http://panningforclouds.com
    Panning For Clouds, a writing blog dedicated to my fiction and writing columns! Updates at least twice a week.
    QuothKCWiseVanityPants
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

Or to make dick and fart jokes.

whynotboth.jpg

camo_sig2.png
    PSN: AuthorFrost
    mageofstorm.png
    DieKobun
  • DieKobunDieKobun The Punslinger Registered User regular
    Hello! I've been lurking for a couple days, but I came here on recommendation of a friend who said y'all are a cool bunch of people. I've been looking for awhile for a community of fellow writers with whom to commiserate and learn. I'm an ickle baby author, with my first published work coming out at the end of the month, and my first novel next year, but I've been writing seriously for going on six years now. Big fan of fantasy, sci-fi, the standards, though I'm getting published for a Weird Western series that I pitched.

Glad to meet you all.

banner_rpr-2.jpg
    I also do free stories every Friday over on my personal website.
    ... I also stream on Twitch.
    KCWisetapeslingerMKRMetzger MeisterbigrickcookAmalia
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    Fresh meat.

DieKobun
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Registered User regular
    MKR wrote: »
    Fresh meat.

You're gonna have to sleep sometime, MKR.

DieKobun
    edited September 2015
    Welcome, DieKobun! Are you going trad-pub or self-pub? And what is coming out this month, a story or novel or...?

Quoth on
    DieKobun wrote: »
    Hello! I've been lurking for a couple days, but I came here on recommendation of a friend who said y'all are a cool bunch of people.

I am the guilty recommendation friend. WELCOME TO THE FOLD.

Sometimes I blog. Other times I tweet. But I'm always writing. (and so is that other Amalia)

DieKobunKCWise
    edited September 2015
    Welcome, DieKobun! Are you going trad-pub or self-pub? And what is coming out this month, a story or novel or...?
    Hello, and thank you! I'm going trad, sort of. It's a small press. My short story comes out at the end of the month in an anthology call The Dragon Lord's Library. Novel's next year.
    Amalia wrote: »
    Hello! I've been lurking for a couple days, but I came here on recommendation of a friend who said y'all are a cool bunch of people.

I am the guilty recommendation friend. WELCOME TO THE FOLD.

:D

DieKobun on
    banner_rpr-2.jpg
    AmaliaQuothtapeslinger
    That sounds like a rad anthology. Dragons are super cool in all their forms and fashions.

KCWiseDieKobun
    That sounds like a rad anthology. Dragons are super cool in all their forms and fashions.

*Girl's Gone Wild announcer* All Dragons, All The Time.

I figured no one would do Mexican dragons, so I submitted and got lucky.

banner_rpr-2.jpg
    QuothKCWise

So instead of dragons fighting with knights, your dragons wrestle with luchadors then?

camo_sig2.png
    mageofstorm.png
    Do they get their fire breath from jalapenos?

Are the coyotes crossing the border called dragons now because they're actual dragons?

What does a dragon on cocaine act like?

This concludes the stereotype questionnaire.

Panning For Clouds, a writing blog dedicated to my fiction and writing columns! Updates at least twice a week.
    Oy, really Rick? I was trying to equate two culturally-significant icons together, not try for blatant stereotypes, since luchadores and knights share similarities with one another with knight crests and luchador masks, along with their romantic ideals in pop culture.

camo_sig2.png
    mageofstorm.png
    Geth
    Madican wrote: »
    Oy, really Rick? I was trying to equate two culturally-significant icons together, not try for blatant stereotypes, since luchadores and knights share similarities with one another with knight crests and luchador masks, along with their romantic ideals in pop culture.

I wasn't equating my things with what you said at all. I was being blatantly awful because I've heard those things said in relation to Mexican mythological creatures. Also I said the thing about jalapenos because hot peppers are often cartoonishly equated with breathing fire.

edited September 2015
    Madican wrote: »

So instead of dragons fighting with knights, your dragons wrestle with luchadors then?

Haha, that probably would have been entertaining in its own way, but no. It's the god Kulkulkan/Quetzalcoatl versus two old west monster hunters down in a Texas border town. This fancy mufugga.

kukulkan.png

DieKobun on
    banner_rpr-2.jpg
    tapeslingerbigrickcookQuothBrovid HasselsmofKCWiseMagell
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister Registered User regular
    YOOOOO i finally posted again and dun went and made a poetry thread

check it oooouuutttt

QuothKCWise
  • FecklessRogueFecklessRogue Registered User regular
    Hi. I'm FecklessRogue. I've lurked the forums since forever, had a brief stint where I participated like a normal human being, then I fell back into lurking. Now I am posting again? It is hard to keep track.

I made the mistake of pushing someone into following their art dreams and now they insist I do the same with writing. The coincidence of NaNoWriMo being around the corner offends and scares me.

My favorite flavor of ice cream is pumpkin, which is glorious because the regional ice cream chain has a wonderful rendition this time of year.

I have the unexplained ability to enter dance clubs without being stopped by bouncers. This is made more bizarre by my intense lack of fashion.

The strangest thing I did as a child was all the things. I was a very strange child.

The condition persists into adulthood.

bigrickcookAmalia
    edited October 2015
    Welcome, FecklessRogue! Dip your toe into the NaNo prep thread for some great information and motivation in preparing for a month of writerly abandon.

Dive into the Chat thread just to see what us bozos are talking about and maybe join in?

Hit your head on the bottom of the IRC if you've got the nerve to come in amongst us weirdos.

If you want something low-key and relatively pressure and stress free, swim over to the Word of the Week thread and write a little something!

And now the overwrought swimming references have come to an end.

Also, where is this glorious ice cream place that has good pumpkin ice cream?

bigrickcook on
    My favorite flavor of ice cream is pumpkin, which is glorious because the regional ice cream chain has a wonderful rendition this time of year.

Pumpkin ice cream IS awesome! I find vanilla ice cream with pumpkin butter makes an adequate substitute, also.

NaNo is a great opportunity to build discipline as a writer with a TON of support from a very large community -- it doesn't have to be anything more or anything less!

KCWise
    Hello, Feck! Welcome!
    Amalia wrote: »

Pumpkin ice cream IS awesome! I find vanilla ice cream with pumpkin butter makes an adequate substitute, also.

NaNo is a great opportunity to build discipline as a writer with a TON of support from a very large community -- it doesn't have to be anything more or anything less!

No good pumpkin ice cream out here. I'm starting to lose faith in pumpkin beers. I've had three varieties now, including two that I've enjoyed in years past, and all three tasted like flavoring syrup.

banner_rpr-2.jpg
  • FecklessRogueFecklessRogue Registered User regular
    Thanks for the welcomes! The NaNo prep thread looks like it will be invaluable.
    Also, where is this glorious ice cream place that has good pumpkin ice cream?

Graeter's is the name of the chain. They have incredible ice cream of all flavors. If you have one near you (or you can find an overpriced container at the local supermarket), it is worth a taste.

I also really like pumpkin beer in theory. One day I hope to find one I really like in fact.

bigrickcook
    If you have one near you (or you can find an overpriced container at the local supermarket), it is worth a taste.

Hmm, Tulsa's the closest for me. But there's one a small drive away from my sister, so I'll have to visit her and use that as an excuse to get ice cream. Mmmm. Ice cream.

• majanzmajanz Registered User regular
    Hey diddly ho internet,

I seem to be spending more and more time around here so I should drop in and say, "Howdy!" I've had a user login here on Penny Arcade for <double checks> seven years?... Whoa...

Until recently I've been a very active member on a different forum board, but that one never really survived the whole 'Gates & People who like to play Games' controversy. Its not quite dead Jim, but its not what it used to be. Sad really, but nothing lasts forever.

So, about moi. I'm almost old enough to play in the PGA Senior Tour but thankfully I hate golf. I've been a career Engineer/Bureaucrat, but I have this twisted need to write Science Fiction short stories and then submit them to various publishers. They've ALL been rejected, but I take a somewhat perverse pleasure in contacting editors, etc. to learn why they've been rejected. For example:

"You have too many swears."

"Its a little plagiaristic of this Polish author you've never heard of."

"Your protagonist is described as wearing a 'stained Hello-Kitty t-shirt' and we're afraid of being sued by the Sanrio corporation!" This one is very nearly an exact quote.

Other minutia, my spelling sucks so don't bother pointing it out to me. I will always need a good editor to hold my hand. It may just be a natural lack of talent however in my youth I was I was pushed more on me making math goody not writie goody. Thankfully the math thing has worked out pretty well. My wife and kids live comfortably and in the course of my job I've seen more of the world than the vast majority of people ever get to see. I haven't made it to Africa or India yet, and I've just barely been in South America. But if you need directions to the 'Ketchup' restaurant in Dubai I can totally set you up.

159751555_hello-kitty-blue-hello-kitty-nerdy-t-shirt.jpg

Amalia
    I'm surprised the editors actually answer your emails. I had always heard they hated that!

I also wonder about the causes of spelling problems in people. I know enough really smart people who can't spell that I am certain intelligence has nothing to do with it. So weird.

• tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I would say that I wouldn't put too much stock in a "reason" for rejection; I've been asked a few times but I don't respond to this, as it's very rarely one reason. ;)

Good to learn more about you, majanz!

• majanzmajanz Registered User regular
    I'm surprised the editors actually answer your emails. I had always heard they hated that!

Persistence is a verified superpower! 8-)
    Yeah, I would say that I wouldn't put too much stock in a "reason" for rejection; I've been asked a few times but I don't respond to this, as it's very rarely one reason. ;)

I know, I assume that they really just want to be rid of me (see comment above on persistence) so I don't take it very seriously.