Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Who... Are... You? [Introductions Thread]

12346»

• ClearMadnessClearMadness CanadaRegistered User regular
    I don't know, who I'm I?

Author of the dark fantasy web serial The Iron Teeth. Read it if you love fantasy and goblins!
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Registered User regular
    I don't know, who I'm I?

A miserable pile of secrets.

• NetcatNetcat No, not that one! SprawlRegistered User regular
    I am the keeper of the spooky scary skeletons. Like, I stole the key to their cage. I guess they might replace the lock soon if the real keeper comes back.

• QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    So you're the keeper of the stolen skeleton keys?

• NetcatNetcat No, not that one! SprawlRegistered User regular
    Yes! At least until someone steals them from me. Then I'll be the person who couldn't keep the stolen skeleton keys.

• DieKobunDieKobun The Punslinger Registered User regular
    Netcat wrote: »
    I am the keeper of the spooky scary skeletons. Like, I stole the key to their cage. I guess they might replace the lock soon if the real keeper comes back.

Their rib cage?

ba_dum_tss_pirates_band_of_misfits.gif

banner_rpr-2.jpg
    I also do free stories every Friday over on my personal website.
    ... I also stream on Twitch.
  • viegasnviegasn Writer, journalist, gamer Santa Maria, Açores, PortugalRegistered User regular
    I would try to make it short and sweet, but I suck at that, so here goes nothing.
    I'm azorean (that's in Portugal, aka the place Cristiano Ronaldo came from or the west-most country in Europe), therefore, I support Sport Lisboa and Benfica (this is clearly relevant).
    I write critics, reviews, tops and all manner of articles (I add "High quality" to that in my resume) for Pushstart Magazine, which is now the single national physical magazine (on actual paper!) dedicated to video-games, and the one publication, online and offline, caring for retro-gaming nation-wide. I still don't enjoy working under editorial regulations.
    In another life, I hosted, edited, and took full control of Podcast OST, every Monday on Eurogamer Portugal, part of the Gamer Network. That was quite a ride, it was honestly the most fun I've had in the industry.
    Meanwhile, I write prose in Portuguese, having short stories published, poetry in both languages, having completed a chapbook (cough award winning cough), and comic-books, which are... artless.... yeah.... It's honestly the worst industry I have ever witnessed or participated in, but I just enjoy writing them, and have a couple of scripts for novels and such on hand. So if you're an artist, hit me up ;).
    And when I get some free time, I try to finish off school, Sciences of Communications, in the Journalism path.
    Oh, I also love video-games (one might figure), lately I've been indulging in Telltale's games, a lot of fun, such great stories (yes I play games for the story, fuck me right?).
    And reading.... Yeah still working on that Memorial do Convento business, but I take a peak at Powers (the comic) when I get a break. It's my go to now that I've finished Fables.
    And that's me, mostly (or partially, I never ran the math, don't judge me), glad to meet you!

Comic-book writer, occasional poet.
    Writer for Pushstart Magazine.
    Zilla360
    Welcome! Always fun to have some more journalists up in here since it's mostly fiction writers. Are you still living in Portugal?

• viegasnviegasn Writer, journalist, gamer Santa Maria, Açores, PortugalRegistered User regular
    Yes I am, right in the capital :)
    Don't expect it to last though, we're headed south (or left, with the new government) and having newspapers closed left and right,as if getting a job wasn't hard enough before. I've been trying to get myself to email Eurogamer.net (Eurogamer.pt isn't hiring and my buddies at IGN Portugal inform me they'll hire soon, but the place isn't stable), but I keep delaying it.

Comic-book writer, occasional poet.
    Writer for Pushstart Magazine.
  • exisexis Registered User regular
    Hi all. I'm exis, on here at least. I've been a forum member for 11-odd years now (yeesh), so am still hanging onto a handle that is barely used elsewhere. I used to be pretty involved in the WoW community here, but escaped that demon and have since tapered back my activity around these here parts.

I'm 29, working as a software engineer, though I'm pretty disillusioned about my career at the moment. My wife and I have been semi-seriously discussing a drastic lifestyle change, possibly involving a move to the country to farm hops or something equally absurd. Maybe not so absurd - we live in New Zealand, so "moving to the country" involves driving in the opposite direction of the city for 30 minutes.

I've always enjoyed reading fiction, but since my commute has increased to a 45-minute train ride, I've been able to chew through a lot more
    than I had previously, which has been pretty great. This, coupled with growing anxiety and stress about my career, got me thinking about writing for the first time since I was in high school. So I've started scribbling things down, and have found it to be great catharsis. We'll see how far this goes, but for now I'm content writing small scraps of short stories and bits and pieces driven from reddit.com/r/writingprompts. I have no formal training or grand story to tell, so I'm trying to focus on enjoying the act of writing for now rather than worrying about writing a bestseller. I figure that I'll learn as I go from reading more and thinking more critically about the work of others. Which is what got me lurking here again!

When I'm not writing forum posts while pretending to work, I play video games and guitar, run (when I'm not injured, which is never), and enjoy drinking the many fine craft beers of Wellington, NZ (seriously fantastic city for beer-lovers). But most of our free time these days is spent being terrorized by this little hellspawn, eight months now in this mortal realm. (If you look closely, you can actually see him plotting to destroy the couch).

So yeah, hi! I'll probably lurk mostly, but am looking forward to reading more stuff from you folks, and possibly getting some feedback if I feel like I can take it :P

Overwatch / Diablo 3: exis#1961 | Steam: mule
    bigrickcooktapeslingerAmalia
    Welcome! Make yourself comfy. Don't mind the discarded berets and wizard hats, someone will be along to burn them shortly.

• Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm still staunchly a wizard hat. You will never take it from me!

Steam name: munkus_beaver
    WiiU: munkusbeaver and Nintendo ID (3DS thinger): 0619-4510-9772
    Blizzard thing: munkus#1952
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
    Twitter for health updates: https://twitter.com/MunkusBeaver
    Please give to the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America: http://www.ccfa.org/
  • VanityPantsVanityPants Gokai Red! Registered User regular
    Whereas I am a stoutly wizard cat.

Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Whereas I am a stoutly wizard cat.

According to Japan I will be a stoutly fat wizard in about three years.

camo_sig2.png
    PSN: AuthorFrost
    mageofstorm.png
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Registered User regular
    Quoth wrote: »
    I'm a Hufflepuff.

I'm so sorry.

Magell
  • InkhandInkhand Registered User regular
    Hello? Yes, hello. Or maybe hi? Possibly howdy?

*ahem*

giphy.gif

I think that went well.

Anywho, I'm %username% (er, Inkhand). I've been a PA fan for years now, but silly me I never looked at the forums. A little bit ago somebody told me I should check out the writing forum here, and I was floored to see such an interesting community had been hiding in virtually plain sight this whole time. I've self published a steampunk fantasy novel and I'm currently working on a fantasy western, which is not quite the same as a western fantasy. One involves more bodice ripping than the other, or that's what I like to tell myself. In the past I've written an embarrassing amount of Star Wars fan fiction, which strangely contained zero bodices. I'd like to get better at both writing and critiquing, and would love to just generally interact regularly with other writers.

I enjoy tea more than any non-british person probably ought to (stereotyping ftw!), and dark beer on occasion. I love me some good rpg computer games like Dragon Age and Mass Effect, though I'm also fond of rts games like Total War. Non digitally, I play (or more often run) tabletop roleplaying games about once a week with the same group I've had since college. I'm 32 now, so I'd say that's been a success.

My blood type is... what? Oh, too far. None of that was actually in the questionnaire? Ah. So...

Favorite ice cream, right. I'd have to say vanilla bean. I can reach both hands around and touch them between my shoulder blades (which I often to do pop my back). Does that count as a weird trick? I've mostly blocked out my childhood, so I suppose that's all.

I'll try not to do what I normally do on forums, which is sign up, introduce myself, and then mostly lurk and post once every leap year.

Metzger Meisterbigrickcook
  • bigrickcookbigrickcook Dord of Lance? OklahomaRegistered User regular
    Welcome, @Inkhand !

Some small bits of advice to get you started on posting regularly:

1. We have The Writer's Block, which is public to the world, and is where a lot of our general chat and stuff happens. We have cultivated threads that have advice both for useful critiquing methods, and receiving critiques with aplomb. We have threads with Anthology submission stuff if you're looking to dip your toes into the short story submission pool. We have threads for writing prompts that are designed just to get you writing by taking out the "idea" portion of writing. We have a thread for helpful generators that create all kinds of randomized names, ideas, characters, and more that help in getting you started on fleshing out an idea. The Writer's Block is where we come to talk, commiserate, celebrate, and otherwise hash out the things we're working on. It exists to keep us writing.

2. We have The Writer's Well, which requires you to be registered to even see it. By giving it a special status, it keeps the forum from being indexed via Google and other search engines. Which means if you post writing in the Well for someone to critique, and then you submit it to a magazine or publication or anthology or what-have-you to get it published, there will be no public listing of your story when it is searched for. This is important because most publications require that your story has never been published anywhere before. Blogs, message boards, and elsewhere that are publicly visible and searchable are often considered "published" for the purposes of that ruling. By requiring a forum account to view the Well, the forum is considered a private location and does not violate the first publishing rights of most publishing agreements.

So with that out of the way, we encourage you to come into the Chat thread, or any of the various threads we use in the Block just to keep up with each other. What are you reading, how are your projects going, shoot the breeze in Chat, etc. Get to know us and we'll get to know you.

You are also welcome to pop into the Well and read some of the stories people have posted for critique, offer your thoughts. Even if you think you're not good at critiquing, reading and reporting on a story is almost always helpful.

And finally, you can go in and post your own writing to the Writer's Well asking for critique! This is the main purpose of the forum, but to get the most use out of it, it helps to be an active member of the community. We don't require people to critique stories to get critiques, and we don't require people to be active participants on the forum to get critiques. But those are encouraged because then you're a part of the community, not just an outsider popping in to take advantage of our system. We're more likely to help you if you show an interest in being a friend rather than an internet stranger!

If any of that is intimidating, we also have an IRC channel that often has three or more people in it during the weekdays. You can join the more active chat there to get to know some of us and maybe break the ice to get started on the forum!

So welcome again, Inkhand, we hope you find something useful out of our community. =)

http://panningforclouds.com
    Panning For Clouds, a writing blog dedicated to my fiction and writing columns! Updates at least twice a week.
  • InkhandInkhand Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Thanks for the help, @bigrickcook , I'm looking forward to getting into things. Though I may ease my way into it. Slow and steady, you know.
    I am a meat popsicle.

gKdgwf5.gif

Inkhand on
    Metzger Meister
  • OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I am a meat popsicle.

Are you classified human?

sig.php
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister Registered User regular
    Inkhand wrote: »
    Thanks for the help, @bigrickcook , I'm looking forward to getting into things. Though I may ease my way into it. Slow and steady, you know.
    I am a meat popsicle.

gKdgwf5.gif

supagreeeeeen

Inkhand
  • Haughty RobotHaughty Robot Registered User new member
    Hello there.
    I am, to my knowledge, not a robot. I can be somewhat haughty on occasion, however.
    I have an affinity for commas, root beer, and dark chocolate M&Ms.
    I believe semi-colons and cilantro are borne of the devil and have no place in this universe.
    Also, I am an officially sorted Ravenclaw.

iakien7dgask.gif

bear.gif 499.1K
    Metzger Meistertapeslinger
    Welcome! As the resident Hufflepuff, I will take all your cilantro and semi-colons and make sure they find nice homes.

• EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Hi! I've been here on and off for the past sixish years, but I never really bothered to introduce myself until now. I had a real surge of creative energy around 2010-12 or so and got a few novels out there, but recently I've been stalled on various depression, writer's block, shitty work issues, and failed Nanowrimo attempts. I'm struggling to get back into regular writing and also get some of the early books rewritten and published.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
    tapeslinger
    Get that work done! And then do more work. There will basically always be more to do. Don't tell the new people, though, it discourages them.

tapeslinger
  • InxInx Registered User regular
    Hello everyone. I've been on the forums for a while and I've made the odd post here and there on the Block, but mostly I'm kind of a lurker. I'm still trying to get my writing off the ground. I'll intermittently write a short story in between working on my novel.

My writing is overall pretty slow goings, due to difficulties from my job and a bad case of Attention Deficit. But I'm on the home stretch of the first draft of my novel, which gives me hope that I'll finish it in time to give it to my grandkids to revise.

tapeslingerQuoth
  • SeeJay08SeeJay08 Registered User new member
    Hey, just call me See Jay. Guess I'm the newest. Not many newcomers in 2016, eh?

• Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    It's a trickle, but new blood is always welcome!

Steam name: munkus_beaver
    WiiU: munkusbeaver and Nintendo ID (3DS thinger): 0619-4510-9772
    Blizzard thing: munkus#1952
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
    Twitter for health updates: https://twitter.com/MunkusBeaver
    Please give to the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America: http://www.ccfa.org/
  • ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    2016 has been a quiet year. Not sure why, but welcome!

g4OlSIF.jpg
  • IronRoosterIronRooster Registered User new member
    Hey, I stole my name off the first book on my shelves I saw, I write all sorts except poetry and I suck at online interaction. Right now, I'm trying to make an alternate history thing so I'm researching all about Native American folklore.

• ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    Howdy. I've been around the forums for a little while now, but this year I decided I'm going to actually do NaNoWriMo and I'm going to finish it and make something out of the resultant 50,000 word mess, goddammit.

I write a lot 'cause I do forum RP, but after all these years it would be nice to have an actual complete end product instead of a bunch of random disjointed forum posts and plots that don't go anywhere.

I'm a big fan of post-apocalyptic, cyberpunk, and... urban fantasy? supernatural? whatever that genre is. Just with vampires that kill you, not the sparkly kind. Oh, and basically anything ever written by Raymond Chandler. That guy can make brewing coffee sound cool.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • ArythwehnArythwehn Registered User new member
    Hello, World! ....wait, this isn't the programming thread....

Hello, fellow writers! I am fairly new(ish) to the PA forums. One of my partners is a regular, and having heard much about the fine folks here, I decided to dip my toe in the waters.

I'm a developer and a writer. Mostly a developer, as writing takes time and energy and that can be hard to come by... But when I do write, I usually work on my fantasy/sci-fi novel or a YA novel that started during the last CampNaNo. I have a penchant for making my characters suffer horribly in order to grow, but I'm not above (below?) writing fluff once in a while.

I'm hoping to get into the writing groove this November and actually get a good 50k done for NaNoWriMo. If anyone else is participating, it would be cool to have fellow writers to do sprints with etc.!

• tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    welcome, @Arythwehn! Suffering is good for your characters... or so I'm told! :hydra:

There are definitely NaNo folks around here-- usually @Quoth or @KCWise have a thread for it, I think?

• ArythwehnArythwehn Registered User new member
    Thanks for the welcome! I'll definitely keep my eye out for the NaNo thread if it happens.

• GolemGolem of Sand Saint Joseph, MORegistered User regular
    Hello, I'm Golem. I'm working on my writing here and my artwork in the Artist Corner, to try and marry the two in a graphic novel. My favorite Ice Cream is Cookie dough. Weird trick, I can juggle. And the strangest thing I did as a kid, When I was a baby I used to escape my crip, crawl down the stairs, and my parents would catch me trying to eat tablespoons of butter.

• Ronin356Ronin356 Nowhere MORegistered User regular
    I write comic books, indie comic books.

Nobody sees a flower really; it is so small. We haven't time, and to see takes time - like to have a friend takes time.
    Georgia O'Keeffe
    Be sure to like my Comic Book "Last Words" on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Last-Words-The-Comic-Book/458405034287767
    and Magenta the Witchgirl!: http://www.drunkduck.com/Magenta_the_Witchgirl/

• morgan_cokemorgan_coke Registered User regular
    edited January 6
    Hi everyone! I usually post over in G&T threads, but I'm going to start posting over here a fair bit now that I've started work on my second book.

My first book was a total failure, and that's putting it mildly. Averaged 1.5 stars on both Amazon and Goodreads. After looking at the reviews and re-reading the book, I realized the critiques were pretty spot on and I'd written a bad book. Which is fine, It's not the end of the world.

So, Now I'm writing the hopefully first book of a LitRPG saga and will be posting in here for help and feedback. I will try to offer my perspective and experience from writing a failed book in return.

And just to pre-emptively answer the biggest questions, my first book was autobiographical, titled "Be glad it didn't happen to you" (which is a terrible title btw) and it was way, way, way too dark for people to be able to enjoy. I also tried an alternative, unique narrative structure, which was a mistake, and wrote in a genre that I don't read or follow, so I was missing a lot of the knowledge of what makes a book like that good or readable. There were a lot of issues.

So anyway, that's the story. Look forward to collaborating or whatever with many of you in the future.

EDIT: On the upside, I am the author of one of the 154,000 bestselling memoirs on Amazon, so I've got that going for me, lol. (yes, I did just go check my bookpage. No, you probably shouldn't.)

morgan_coke on
    XBL: Morgan Coke Yes, there is a space, not an underscore. I'm old school like that.
    Battle.net: morgancoke#1589

Titan's Creed: Jump first, don't ask questions, punch everything
    Zilla360
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. Surreal. Immersive. Earth.Registered User regular
    edited February 19
    Hi! I write things that more often than not, get thrown in the bin because I either suck at creating things, or I discover (much later) that someone more talented has gotten there first.

I'm also a part-time human made of mostly meat, cookies, rainbows; and dark secretsssssss.

Zilla360 on
    Skidzilla360.jpg | NH844lc.png | GACSALB.jpg My Blog | Gravatar | PSN | 72INGtl.jpg | HkSlskT.png
  • NoedigNoedig BlindCleric on Twitch Registered User regular
    Hello!

I'm Noedig, Gideon, BlindCleric and Ghostmaker.

I have recently lost ALL OF MY WORK in a combination hard drive fry and file corruption, so I'm starting from square one on two novels (Fantasy and SciFi), and I figured 'Hey, if you're going to tackle this AGAIN, at least get with a community of decent beings.'
    So! Here I am!

12346»