As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The newer action figures (and other toys) thread (NSF56k)

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Try TRU or Kmart if you want the limbs, every one of those I've been to had at least a full set.

TF boards for my state have Onslaught popping up here or there, but never in my general area. Amazon has him for over $35

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Seems like every Walmart I've been to has had the Bruticus limbs (at least 3 of the 4), but I went to over a half a dozen different stores over the past couple of weeks and never saw Onslaught. Targets, Walmarts, Toys R Us, even a few smaller toy retailers. Lots of limbs, lots of Motormasters, but no Onslaught.
    Eventually gave in and bought him off BBTS, after giving in and buying the limbs. Came out to 30 bucks with the cheapest shipping there.

And with the delivery today, I have Bruticus.
    Well, theoretically, anyway. They're all still in the packages.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Even though I've ordered UW Bruticus, I'm kinda tempted to hunt down a CW onslaught and paint it's Bruticus chest silver

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    see317 wrote: »
    Seems like every Walmart I've been to has had the Bruticus limbs (at least 3 of the 4), but I went to over a half a dozen different stores over the past couple of weeks and never saw Onslaught. Targets, Walmarts, Toys R Us, even a few smaller toy retailers. Lots of limbs, lots of Motormasters, but no Onslaught.
    Eventually gave in and bought him off BBTS, after giving in and buying the limbs. Came out to 30 bucks with the cheapest shipping there.

And with the delivery today, I have Bruticus.
    Well, theoretically, anyway. They're all still in the packages.

Funny, last time I was looking for anything my Walmarts had nothing while the Targets had at least something. Maybe I'll check them out and TRU.

Edit: So running to two Wal-marts and 1 Toys R Us I finally got Brawl (TRU) and Onslaught at the second Walmart! WOO!!!!!

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Decided to order the other three limbs from Hasbro since they weren't bad and got free shipping. Soon I'll be in possession of the awesome Bruticus.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Finally found Onslaught in the wild. I'm still keeping an eye out for Shockwave, but I'm not as deadset on getting him.

• Options
    Nobody wrote: »
    Finally found Onslaught in the wild. I'm still keeping an eye out for Shockwave, but I'm not as deadset on getting him.

Yeah I have as well. Didn't know he was rare till I found out he went with Bruticus till after I completed him.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Dunno if anyone else is collecting the neca heroes of the storm fgures, but does anyone know how neca typically snnouncig new lines/series? I really like the ones I have so far, so much so that I am looking to get an illidan even though the character is one you love to hate. I am hoping for a continuation but I can't find anything indicating whether that'll happen (or any sort of reaction to it even existing).

Tangentially related, I kind of want to try and do some photography of those figures and some others. Anyone have experience with the back drops/diorama for this? Any guides? Is it as simple as it looks (the background part not the photography)?

• Options
    Dunno if anyone else is collecting the neca heroes of the storm fgures, but does anyone know how neca typically snnouncig new lines/series? I really like the ones I have so far, so much so that I am looking to get an illidan even though the character is one you love to hate. I am hoping for a continuation but I can't find anything indicating whether that'll happen (or any sort of reaction to it even existing).

When they were actively doing the Pacific Rim stuff (and not just 10 versions of Gypsy Danger) I used to just take a quick pass at their Twitter page and keep an eye on the BBTS page for upcoming NECA stuff.

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Dang, finally bit on one of those limited time Ebay coupons that have been popping up. This one was for $15 off a $75 or more purchase (C15Spring, good until like 2 PM PST apparently), and I got a Hades Minos for like $71 shipped.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016

Tangentially related, I kind of want to try and do some photography of those figures and some others. Anyone have experience with the back drops/diorama for this? Any guides? Is it as simple as it looks (the background part not the photography)?

NECA showed off the next wave of HotS figures at the NY ToyFair this year

Can't wait to finally have a decent Diablo

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options

NECA showed off the next wave of HotS figures at the NY ToyFair this year

Can't wait to finally have a decent Diablo

is the D3 diablo that bad? until i saw your post i was considering getting it. but all those characters have me really excited

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    The figure itself is decent, I'm just not a fan of Diablo's D3 design, I vastly prefer D2's hulking demon T-rex

Though it would be really cool to see a figure of the original design as well

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    i am not sure which i prefer D2 or D3. my only real exposure to D2 diablo was heroes of the storm since my experience in D2 was just act 5 runs over and over. now that i think about it i don't think ive ever seen D1 diablo as i never played the original

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Oh yeah ever since the first Diablo came out, I've played the series for countless hours

D1 Diablo I guess is pretty similar to the D2 version, but he doesn't have digitigrade legs, he stands straight up instead of hunched, and he has no tail

This cinematic is still one of my all-time favorites... and now I want a Hell portal to display that Diablo figure with

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    Found some stuff to try and begin building a diorama/light box. Here's the initial take on it, but since I am using my cell phone and everything else is cobbled together I expect this to be a disaster long term.
    hlHs47Sl.jpgXqkTr4sl.jpgtNrmNdwl.jpgrHs84vbl.jpg

• Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    Schide wrote: »
    This one was for $15 off a $75 or more purchase (C15Spring, good until like 2 PM PST apparently)

Ugh, wish I'd seen this yesterday. I'm eyeing either a Smart or Combes Robin out of boredom, and that might have pushed me over.

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    143999 wrote: »
    Schide wrote: »
    This one was for $15 off a $75 or more purchase (C15Spring, good until like 2 PM PST apparently)

Ugh, wish I'd seen this yesterday. I'm eyeing either a Smart or Combes Robin out of boredom, and that might have pushed me over.

They've been having these coupons lately, although this was the lowest threshold one so far. The next time one pops up I'll mention it.

• Options

Heh, checked Amazon this morning and they had Shockwave at $10.99 on Prime. Solved that question.

• Options
    Went to see if there was still some left... and they're back up to $25ish. You got extremely lucky apparently.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Ok Amazon got some more in apparently. Just snagged one myself for $10.99 plus tax. They have 6 left as of this post.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    I believe Amazon will show availability based on your location, right now if I tried to buy another one Shockwave it would be at $24.95

• Options
    Speaking of Shockwave, I just bought Quakeblast.

I had the G1 toy as a kid and so MP Shockwave is pretty disappointing. No metallic parts, wrong color purple, and the translucent hands are dull. I get it, it's going for cartoon accuracy, but not me.

I like Quakeblast's proportions more than Quakewave, and also the price is almost half, so it was a pretty easy choice.

And on the note of MP, I recently got Hot Rod and Ironhide in. They are fantastic.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah I really love the Ironhide. Picked it up from HLJ a while ago. Now I have the two first transformers my brother and I started out with in MP format.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Ironhide really is great. The van is pretty compact, I was surprised to see such a tall and full robot mode come out of it. And the transformation is a good mix of fairly simple and intuitive and clever. The only thing that bugs me is his shoulders pop off the tabs kind of easily in robot mode.

And Hot Rod's robot mode is sleeker than pictures led me to believe.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    So did anybody else know about that Groove from the Japan release is being released as a TRU Taiwan Exclusive and is Robot Kingdom the only one selling it? I'm partially tempted to pre-order him so I don't have to buy the entire UW Defensor.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    rumors also exist that it's going to be a US special release as well.

• Options
    rumors also exist that it's going to be a US special release as well.

Awesome, I think I'll hold off then... Hopefully all the collectors will buy the Taiwan one and I'll have a chance on this one. Thanks for that rumor.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    Already out of stock at RK, anyway. Wish I had caught that.

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    Shockwave arrived today, and cracked him, Onslaught, Vortex and Blast Off open so I could build Bruticus.

Shockwave is actually designed to fit on the "turret" of Onslaught's vehicle mode, and fits in his hands, so at least you don't have to worry about taking the guns off of his back for his robot mode.

Blast Off and Vortex are straightforward redecos so no real differences there.

Onslaught's knees feel a bit looser than Hot Spot's.

As Bruticus it's not bad, it does tend to lean forward a bit more than Defensor did though.

I'm still going to have him dual wield Shockwave and Viper though.

• Options
    Has anyone handled both the Hasbro and Takara releases of any of the CW stuff? I'm wondering if Takara uses better plastic for their releases, or if their improvements are limited to mold fixes and paint apps.

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    Has anyone handled both the Hasbro and Takara releases of any of the CW stuff? I'm wondering if Takara uses better plastic for their releases, or if their improvements are limited to mold fixes and paint apps.

If I kept my Bruticus preorder I would have been able to answer your question. But now I'm intrigued as well since I have not bought a Japanese TF toy that wasn't a MP in eons.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    i think vangelus on WTF@TFW got a review copy of CW devastator (per the most recent podcast) and was going to do a video review.

• Options
    Well, I got United Grand Scourge and didn't really notice that it had particularly better plastic than Hasbro offerings. They'll have better paint apps on the whole though, that's for sure.

• Options
    That's pretty much what I expected, thanks.

It's funny how much the drop in plastic quality over the last few years annoys me. Or maybe there hasn't really been drop in plastic quality, but the drop in build quality and the general hollowness of things now makes the plastic itself seem crappier.

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    That's pretty much what I expected, thanks.

It's funny how much the drop in plastic quality over the last few years annoys me. Or maybe there hasn't really been drop in plastic quality, but the drop in build quality and the general hollowness of things now makes the plastic itself seem crappier.

i recall figures getting smaller as a result of oil prices, presumably this is a similar effect. however i wonder if they will ever get bigger/thicker/more solid again as the prices fluctuate.

• Options
    Yeah, things got smaller for a second, especially around the last pre-CW Generations waves. CW figures are I think bigger than the deluxes/voyagers that immediately preceded them, but they saved money on design with those, so maybe it's a wash there. They also got thinner and less complex all around. When's the last time a deluxe had a wrist swivel? I pick up WFC Optimus and a CW limb, and I'm like, what happened?

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    Ebay has a $25 off $125 coupon. Valid from 2:00 PM PT to 7:00 PM PT TODAY ONLY. Must use PayPal to pay

CSPRING25OFF125

@143999 Not exactly ideal for smaller items, but for some of the MP scaled figures it would be a good deal.

• Options
    Yeah, I just saw that.

...a day after I sprung for something that, well, wouldn't have been expensive enough for it anyway. But still!

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    So I saw CW Onslaught in a store, but I passed

because I have UW Bruticus preordered

but it was tempting, because he's the most different as far as color scheme, and I'm kind of curious what he would look like with the UW limbs

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
This discussion has been closed.