As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Prime Buttoneering!

JindraxJindrax Registered User regular
edited August 2015 in PAX West
After asking JonXP for permission, I'm going to try to get this event rolling! JonXP can't make it out to Prime this year. Thanks JonXP for all of the hard work!

tlegcd0k2jtc.png?1438552849

PAX PRIME BUTTONEERING 2015!

Pin trading is growing big, but why not also trade some personal buttons and meet up with fellow PAX attendees! We are getting a bit of a late start, but it would be awesome to try to see what we can pull off in a short amount of time.

What is Buttoneering?

Buttoneering is a meta-game that takes place every year at PAX Prime (and to a lesser extent PAX East and other events). You play by printing up a large number of buttons with a picture that represents you, and then find other people at your event to trade with you. It is remarkably easy to do, and it's a great way to meet people. Additionally, you come away with a huge number of buttons that are a unique souvenir of your time.

What are the rules?

Well, there are only a couple. First, if you get a button you should give a button, and vice versa. This applies to the "avatar" button, which is the one that represents you personally. If you have made other buttons representing a group, game, or are just something special, you can set your own rules for what people need to do to get them. As usual, follow Wheaton's Law for maximum fun.

How did Buttoneering start?

It started out as a problem at PAX 2008 for members of the PAX Forum Community. They wanted a way to be able to pick each other out of the crowd of more than 55,000 gamers. The initial idea was for t-shirts with everyone's avatars printed on them. Once someone pointed out the added benefit of being able to smell fellow forum members coming, other ideas were proposed.

Finally, everyone settled on making buttons with their avatars on them. After some initial research, it was discovered that one could get bulk amounts of these created for relatively cheaply, and the idea of PAX Button Exchange was born!

Where can I get buttons?

We recommended PureButtons because of their excellent customer service, good prices, and being all-around cool folks. No, we don't get paid to say that. If you're not in the U.S., feel free to ask in the thread to find info on providers closer to home, or if you're the trusting type, ask if you can ship the buttons to someone who is, to save yourself some shipping costs. PureButtons has also given us a special promo code for us to use to save a few bucks on an order. Please send me a private message here on the forum and I'll respond with the code!

When should I purchase buttons?

As soon as you can. Most button manufacturers need at least 1-3 business days to make your order plus the time to ship to you. This can easily add up to around a week of waiting to get your buttons. If it is around August 13th and you still need to order buttons, you should check with the site to see if they can deliver them to you on time (or to a trusted friend who is closer).

How do I participate?

Here are the steps for participating in Buttoneering:
Choose your button size and shape, and make your artwork. 1.5 inch round buttons are by far the most popular, and are a good compromise between price and size.
Order your buttons. With the late start this year, a small batch of 25-50 may be sufficient for trading. In the past, around 50-100 would be enough for trading throughout the weekend.
Upload your artwork to BUTTONEERING!, our official Buttoneering site. This is totally optional, but it provides a great way to keep track of your collection.
Go to PAX, trade with other Buttoneers, take pictures, have fun, and go home with a giant collection.

How do I make sure I have a chance at collecting all of the things!?
Come to a Buttoneering meetup! It is a great chance to meet fellow PAX goers and collect a lot of buttons! Currently, these are the times/places will be meeting up at.

Meetup Schedule
Saturday Morning, 9AM @ Juicy Cafe
Sunday Morning, 9AM @ Juicy Cafe
Monday Afternoon, After the Omegathon in front of the convention center main entrance

Other frequently asked questions:
Q. Why do you only list Purebuttons.com as a source of buttons? Are you banging the owner?
You are free to have your buttons made by anyone, make them your self if you'd like. Our prior experience shopping around last year has shown that you really can't beat the price Purebuttons offers for buttons in bulk. If you can, let us know your insider info.

Q. How do I get a button? What are these "bonus buttons"?
The buttons fall in to two categories, the "avatar" or "main" buttons, and the "bonus" variety. While there are no set rules for trading them, these general guidelines are encouraged:
- Avatar buttons should be traded for other Avatar buttons, with no challenges or criteria expected to be fulfilled other than you are both Buttoneers.
- Bonus buttons may (or may not!) have special criteria for receiving them, and may go to people outside the button game who fulfill the criteria. This could be a challenge ("What is the flightspeed of an unladen swallow?"), a requirement ("You must be a member of the CEOs of America Club"), or one may just ask for one (remember to say "Please").

Q. I want to make people stand on their head, nude, while singing "Yankee Doodle" to receive my buttons! Can't I do that?
It is perfectly within your rights, but don't expect many people to trade their buttons back with you.

Q. Do I have to purchase hundreds of buttons to participate?
Purchase as many or as little as you want. As they say the more the merrier, more than likely you will only be able to recieve as many buttons as you have to give. Last year a somewhat active person could easily go through 100+ buttons.

Q. With 55,000+ people, how will I find you all to get my trade on?
Many if not most of us will be attending various community ran events. Feel free to stop by the Pre-PAX Dinner, the Pre-PAX Movie, Pre-PAX Pubcrawl, or the Pre-PAX Breakfast. We'll be there in droves. Most people don't have problems finding others in any crowd. We stand out pretty hard.

Q. I want to make sure I get EVERY SINGLE BUTTON I can, will there be a Buttoneer meetup?
YES. See the schedule for the events. The one that is traditionally most attended is always in front of the convention center after the last round of the Omegathon.

Q. You said this is a game! How do we know who won?
Everyone is a winner! Especially you! You're so special, you know that?

Q. Will I be able to fly with my buttons. Are they considered an instrument of death?
As confirmed by the US TSA and experience from past years, 1" -1.5" buttons are not classified as an instrument of death even if you have a 100, and can be carried on or checked (they did say that depending on the TSA Agent you may be asked [forced at gun point] to check the buttons).
But remember this only applies to people whose flight originates in the US. If you are flying into the US with buttons make sure you check with your TSA equivalent before bringing them on a plane. The TSA people here also highly suggested that you check with US Customs (contact via your local embassy) before you try and bring them into the country (they indicated that the problem isn't with the button it's with what you could be hiding in the button). Recap: If you're in the US you can fly w/ buttons, if you're not you're probably better off mailing.

If you want to see an example of past year's buttons, you can see some of them at http://buttoneering.org/events/pax-prime-2014/buttons.
Or take a look at this year's uploaded buttons at http://www.buttoneering.org/events/pax-prime-2015/buttons

Jindrax on

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    @JonXP thoughts?

I incorrectly assumed that pin trading wouldn't cannibalize buttoneering so much, but it seems like it really has put a damper on it (in addition to general numbers dwindling on community events). I hope it still happens but I will probably just bring buttons from previous years that haven't been given out yet.

• Hoboking006Hoboking006 Registered User regular
    I was gonna post about organizing this to, but I didn't want to step on @jonxp toes. I have a button idea I've been jazzed about for the whole year. If buttoneering didn't happen I was just gonna make'em anyways, go on the show floor and scream "POCKET BUTTONS!" before giving them to random people.

May PAX be upon you.
  • VolkatVolkat SANVERS WARRIOR T-town, WARegistered User regular
    I was wondering the same, but didn't want to start a new thread. I'm hopeful it's gonna happen! I've got designs finalized, but didn't wanna have them made until I was sure the event was happening. Also, the wife is really excited to participate in it at her first PAX.

SOON.
  • flare21amgflare21amg Registered User regular
    I am hoping more people are interested in buttoneering this year. I haven't been able to come to a PAX since 2010 and it was one of my favorite things that year. I am in if there are enough people that still want to trade buttons this year.

• DapperPumpkinDapperPumpkin Registered User regular
    flare21amg wrote: »
    I am hoping more people are interested in buttoneering this year. I haven't been able to come to a PAX since 2010 and it was one of my favorite things that year. I am in if there are enough people that still want to trade buttons this year.
    I'm also in if there are enough people that want to do it. Been to PAX once before but didn't know about buttoneering until it was too late to participate.

• FenrisfangFenrisfang Edmonton, AB, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Glad to see there is still some interest in buttoneering! I will have a chat with my other half and see if he is interested in doing some up!

PAX Tickets: check!
    Hotel Booked: check!
    Sitter for the kids: check!
    Excitement level rising: check, check and triple check!
  • JindraxJindrax Registered User regular
    Alright, there seems to still be some interest out there. So let's try to get this party started. Unfortunately, JonXP can't make it to Prime this year. So, I'm going to try to get this event going. Please excuse the lack of BBCode, my BBCode-fu is not very strong. I'll try to edit it a bit once I figure it out a bit.

As far as meet-ups, any major objections to the usual times?
    Monday Afternoon, After the Omegathon in front of the convention center main entrance

I'll try to wrangle together a Buttoneering 2015 pin for this year and maybe an extra bonus button.

edited July 2015
    Is it possible to do an afternoon meet up on say Friday? I find it hard to sweep the expo hall floor effectively if I can't get in line soon enough and I know alot of people have to leave Seattle Monday.

Also, @Jindrax, do you access to the buttoneer site?

Lastly, perhaps we could due a user submission/vote, it could also gauge interest in participating

Edit, nevermind the site, looks like it's all become official.

Hoboking006 on
    May PAX be upon you.
  • hyrulehero96hyrulehero96 The Hero of Rhyme Registered User regular
    Im in 100%. If you need help Jindrax let me know! As far as meetups the usual juicy cafe and after omegathon sound good to me.

Slim, Relax, Fine Wine At The Qfc, On A Snowy Saturday Night

My Body Is always Reggie
  • Sleepy KittySleepy Kitty Registered User regular
    myself and draklan will be bringing our buttons that we made for South as well as some of the previous year's buttons for anyone who needs / wants them.

• Sleepy KittySleepy Kitty Registered User regular
    Jindrax wrote: »
    Alright, there seems to still be some interest out there. So let's try to get this party started. Unfortunately, JonXP can't make it to Prime this year. So, I'm going to try to get this event going. Please excuse the lack of BBCode, my BBCode-fu is not very strong. I'll try to edit it a bit once I figure it out a bit.

I'll try to wrangle together a Buttoneering 2015 pin for this year and maybe an extra bonus button.

Also don't forget if you are participating in any of the other Forum Events : MMT , Pre-Pax Dinner , Board Game Night , these are all great chances to trade buttons as well...

edited July 2015

Also don't forget if you are participating in any of the other Forum Events : MMT , Pre-Pax Dinner , Board Game Night , these are all great chances to trade buttons as well...

We had a pax radar last year if I recall...

Hoboking006 on
    May PAX be upon you.
    Is it possible to do an afternoon meet up on say Friday? I find it hard to sweep the expo hall floor effectively if I can't get in line soon enough and I know alot of people have to leave Seattle Monday.

Lastly, perhaps we could due a user submission/vote, it could also gauge interest in participating

I don't have access to the site or any of the tools that JonXP made. So we may have to do a few things the old fashion way.

• hyrulehero96hyrulehero96 The Hero of Rhyme Registered User regular
    Its probably to late to get our own discount code on pure buttons but if you follow them on twitter they will send you a code for 15% off your next order!

Slim, Relax, Fine Wine At The Qfc, On A Snowy Saturday Night

My Body Is always Reggie

I don't have access to the site or any of the tools that JonXP made. So we may have to do a few things the old fashion way.
    I will see if I can get a hold of him to see if he will add Prime 2015 as an "event." The rest of the site is working afaik.

• jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    zerzhul wrote: »

I will see if I can get a hold of him to see if he will add Prime 2015 as an "event." The rest of the site is working afaik.

Too late! The event is added to the site: http://www.buttoneering.org/events/pax-prime-2015/buttons

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • VolkatVolkat SANVERS WARRIOR T-town, WARegistered User regular
    Awesome! Thanks, @jonxp!

I'll be bringing my leftover buttons from last year and 2 new ones! I'm really looking forward to participating again!

Will we be dropping off button submissions at the BYOC desk again this year for the collection to give Mike and Jerry?

SOON.
  • SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular
    I will probably bring all my leftover buttons. I didn't participate last year (financials and timing) but my wife and I are still planning on this year.

• zeromystzeromyst wat Registered User regular
    Always in for buttoneering! Probably only going to do a small batch of 50 new buttons and some leftovers from previous years.

CRANK UP THE C. CRANK UP THE D.
    jonxp wrote: »

Too late! The event is added to the site: http://www.buttoneering.org/events/pax-prime-2015/buttons

What about Button radar? How do we get that operational?

May PAX be upon you.

What about Button radar? How do we get that operational?

Remind me via twitter to turn it on. I apparently miss forum messages pretty easily (I never check them since I almost never get them).

• MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I'd like to make a new button, as I'm now an omeganaut, but there doesn't seem to be a design associated with it...

Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Mighty wrote: »
    I'd like to make a new button, as I'm now an omeganaut, but there doesn't seem to be a design associated with it...

An Omega with a space helmet perched jauntily on top?

edited August 2015

Thanks Jon. I put the link up in the main post.

As far as for the usual collection and presentation to Gabe/Jerry. I'm not really sure how to get a collection area set up like in the past. I don't know very many people who enforce at PAX. We could try to just collect buttons at the meetups and try to aim for presenting it to Gabe/Jerry at the beginning of the signing. Part of me isn't against the idea of skipping this year and trying to come back next year with a better plan if we need to. I imagine this year will be fairly small.

Jindrax on
    edited July 2015
    YoungFrey wrote: »

I like the cut of your Jib. May I subscribe to your newsletter?

I'm going to give that a shot tonight, and i'll post it here for critique

Mighty on
    edited July 2015
    YoungFrey wrote: »

I like the cut of your Jib. May I subscribe to your newsletter?

I'm going to give that a shot tonight, and i'll post it here for critique

Another option is a large monolith sized Omega. Instead of a color, it's a starfield. A small spacesuited individual stands before it.

YoungFrey on
    edited July 2015
    Here, what do you think of these:

http://imgur.com/a/dGPHc

Bear in mind that the crappy blurriness at the bottom of 3 wont be in the button.

Also, if i were to make these, i'd be using the chrome style, so all whites would be a silverish color.

Mighty on
    This one was my favorite:

rVbMLMy.png

• gorgeousplanetgorgeousplanet Meat Popsicle OregonRegistered User regular
    Ooh I like the third one! They're all cool though :biggrin:

Here, what do you think of these:

http://imgur.com/a/dGPHc

Bear in mind that the crappy blurriness at the bottom of 3 wont be in the button.

Also, if i were to make these, i'd be using the chrome style, so all whites would be a silverish color.

All of those are good, but none of them are what I was picturing in my head. Go figure. I think I like the 3rd one the best.

edited July 2015
    I have refined #1, as it got some good ideas thrown at it..

AOQ9of7.png

The Omega-Naut title and the Pax 15 are on the back rim

Mighty on
  • forbiddenvoidforbiddenvoid Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I have refined #1, as it got some good ideas thrown at it..

AOQ9of7.png

The Omega-Naut title and the Pax 15 are on the back rim

You might want to flip the Omeganaut and PAX 15 to be upside down then. That way when they wrap around the rim, they'll end up being the same alignment as the front.

ewnk2szpswv2.png

PAX. PAX. PAX. Boom.
    Dang i've already ordered, so its too late. oh well

PureButtons has given us another promo code for this year! If your interested in ordering from PureButtons, please send me a PM and I'll respond with the code to use to help save on your order.

can you not just post it in the thread?

can you not just post it in the thread?

They've requested that it not be posted on the forums.

Interesting... I wonder if it gets picked up by "deal crawler" bots or whatever for those various discount code websites.

Dammit, why do they always activate the deal the day AFTER i order the buttons.

Interesting... I wonder if it gets picked up by "deal crawler" bots or whatever for those various discount code websites.

Yeah, in the past it's shown up on RetailMeNot and such. Generally a problem since they often give our orders special attention. I was trying to think of a way to distribute it privately as well, maybe we can come up with something related to the site in the future.

• SpaceGhost2KSpaceGhost2K Registered User regular
    I made 3x100 buttons in 2013. They were three Skyrim shields. I couldn't make it last year. I'll be doing 3x100 again this year with three different shields.

This discussion has been closed.