As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - PATV - First 15 – Project CARS

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited July 2015 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - PATV - First 15 – Project CARS

Gabe and Tycho play a game for 15 minutes and then judge it accordingly. This week they play Project CARS. You can watch the full length version of this episode here.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• LittlestarsLittlestars Registered User regular
    Like Mola Ram, I find racing games of the realistic variety mindnumbingly boring. Throw some powerboosters on those tracks, attach a rocket launcher to my armored tank please. And watch out for blue shells. But sometimes I need that boring. I need to numb my mind and to do that, this genre is perfect for me and my "I had a bad day and want to think about absolutely nothing" moods.

I started destressing with Top Gear 2. SNES. Those levels with the rain would just mellow me out. Wouldn't focus on winning; that was a thing that would just happen... or wouldn't. Later it'd be Test Drive 6, and I guess I'm the only person who enjoyed that game. It's not cool to talk about. Then Forza 4, at the recommendation of the guy I was trying to sell it to, and I'm aware that's not how retail is supposed to work but the purchase served its purpose.

I wonder what drives Jerry McGuire to play these. If it's something similar or if he, as Mola suspects, gets cranked up for these games and plays them with great enthusiasm, checking out those very realistic-looking and -sounding car part things.

• metroidkillahmetroidkillah Local Bunman Free Country, USARegistered User regular
    I think Mike needs to learn the differences between an arcade racer and a simulator. I admit it took me some time when I first started playing Forza 2, but here are some tips:

- You cannot mash the accelerator in a sim. Do not ever do that.

- Those green arrows indicate the "perfect line" for the most efficient route through the track. Pay attention to them.

- The color of the arrows indicates when the player should be accelerating or braking. Pay very close attention to that.

- Use whatever view is furthest forward on the car, and never use the "in cockpit" view. Ever.

- When you've gotten comfortable, turn off all driving assists; but keep your shifting preference.

- STOP MASHING THE FUCKING ACCELERATOR!!

I'm not a nice guy, I just play one in real life.
  • WhelmedWhelmed Registered User regular
    Whole video was worth it for "Roger Featherer".

• JayCarrJayCarr Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    People who like this kind of game (like myself), mostly wish we were doing the real thing, but car racing is awful expensive, so we settle for a game instead. That's why we like games where the physics are realistic, the cars are well modeled and the whole experience is very technical (which...I debate if this game really is all those things. iRacing.com is still probably the best choice for simmers.)

Simming is not everybody's bag of tea, but that's fine, we all like different things.

As a simmer though, I personally have a hard time understanding or enjoying cart games. I like a game where the driving of the car itself is the challenge. In a sense the car, the track and the setting of the cars systems are the actual enemies. Can you carry the maximum speed through a corner? Can you get the bound on the front suspension "just so" in order to get that corner right? Cart games have none of this, which to me makes the game less appealing.

But again, and I can't stress this enough, it's just not my bag of tea and we all like different things. Which is fine.

In reality "sims" and "cart games" are such wildly different genres though that it's hardly worth the time to compare them. They both involve computerized vehicles with 2 or 4 wheels, steering and an engine. The similarities stop there... In fact, I'd go so far as to say that if you enjoy one, you generally aren't going to like the other.

PS- "If it ain't rubbin', it ain't racing" is a really, really old axiom from NASCAR, which "Days of Thunder" is based on. Hence the saying was used there. It wasn't made up for the movie...

JayCarr on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    What happened with the sound mixing on this one? That engine noise made the episode unwatchable.

• KayneKayne Registered User regular
    Tycho as a Forza player I want you to know I was totally cheering you on out loud to catch that dick at the end there!

• DoctorEarsDoctorEars Registered User regular
    I think Mike needs to learn the differences between an arcade racer and a simulator.

I think Mike knows the differences and just hates simulators. That's a possibility also.

• OddfishOddfish On opposite weeks In odd numbered monthsRegistered User regular
    "I'm Roger Featherer"

My kidneys left. They packed up and left. I started laughing and my entire sides just said "NO! We've had enough of this!" and now they're gone. I'm bleeding out. All my internal organs spilled out of my sides. 10/10 would die of laughter again

• VirtuavereVirtuavere Registered User regular
    I'd personally prefer these videos to be longer, if they can endure it. Since the fifteen minutes is already getting edited down, the video always seems to end when I'm just starting to get interested in the game.

Although I can only speak for myself, I have to say that it's kind of a downer that Gabe always seems so negative and never seems to want to be there. I mean, very few of these games are my kind of game (none of them so far, actually), but I like that Jerry tries to play each game on its terms and find out what might be appealing at its core. Gabe literally can't seem to wait for each video to end, and that kind of makes me wonder why he's there in the first place.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    @virtuavere you can see the unedited 15 minutes on youtube.

• GDT1985GDT1985 Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Virtuavere wrote: »
    I'd personally prefer these videos to be longer, if they can endure it. Since the fifteen minutes is already getting edited down, the video always seems to end when I'm just starting to get interested in the game.

Although I can only speak for myself, I have to say that it's kind of a downer that Gabe always seems so negative and never seems to want to be there. I mean, very few of these games are my kind of game (none of them so far, actually), but I like that Jerry tries to play each game on its terms and find out what might be appealing at its core. Gabe literally can't seem to wait for each video to end, and that kind of makes me wonder why he's there in the first place.

Mike seems to have a very particular set of interests. Especially in regards to art, like how he said he couldn't get into Dragon Ball or Dragon Quest because of Toriyama's art style.

Now, I am the first to point out that people can have differing opinions, but I feel like that attitude would have kept Mr. Krahulik from enjoying some really cool things.(Like Chrono F'N Trigger)

It is also possible that Jerry is taking a faux positive attitude just to screw with his compatriot. As a counterpoint, neither of them seemed to get into that magical girl game or whatever it was.

GDT1985 on
  • UpperAlphaUpperAlpha Registered User new member
    It may just be that 80% of the games that Mike and Jerry play together they hate but will this series feature any more games they have interest in? The first two episodes and Kalimba were my favorites and I wonder whether this is now focusing exclusively on Cabela-type train wrecks.

I know it is commonplace on the internet to spread misery but when I watch someone in the midst of a miserable experience (like playing a game they hate) that feels symbolic of the time I also spent watching it.

• FranklinBluthFranklinBluth Registered User regular
    Project CARS Review: "They look like real cars" - Mork Krahalo.

• Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    JayCarr wrote: »
    People who like this kind of game (like myself), mostly wish we were doing the real thing, but car racing is awful expensive, so we settle for a game instead. That's why we like games where the physics are realistic, the cars are well modeled and the whole experience is very technical (which...I debate if this game really is all those things. iRacing.com is still probably the best choice for simmers.)
    This is the heart of it, I think. I like sim-ish racing games because I'm a car enthusiast who can't afford to take it to the track and also does not want to be arrested. It has almost nothing to do with my separate and distinct gaming hobby. Sim racers are awfully full of car-fetish; it's hard for me to imagine anyone who has virtually no interest in cars (eg purely a 'gamer') finding much of interest to chew on.

That said, engaging the gamer in me again, next to Soul Calibur, the various iterations of Mario Kart have probably provided me with the greatest amount of party multiplayer gaming fun of any singe franchise.

So, there's room for both, but they fill very different niches.