As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect: Freelancer

PonyPony Registered User regular
[READ WHAT'S IN HERE BEFORE YOU POST]
What is Mass Effect: Freelancer?
Mass Effect: Freelancer is a text-based adventure game I will be running on this forum, in this thread. Set seven months after the events of the first Mass Effect game, Freelancer follows the adventures of the titular mercenary created by the players, whose decisions will be made based on consensus opinion of the people who post in this thread. If you post in this thread, you're a player. Think of it similar to the old "Choose Your Own Adventure" novels or Telltale's adventure games, with everyone who posts in this thread getting a chance to yell suggestions as to what course of action to take next. If you're familiar with "Adventure Quest" type games on other forums, you'll know this style of collaborative storytelling.

How many characters are there?
There is only one protagonist, the Freelancer, who is created and run by the decisions of the players. There are other characters who will show up over the course of the story, but these are non-player characters run by the Game Master (me).

What if I don't like/understand the choices?
If you don't understand the options available, feel free to ask questions and I'll try to clarify. If you don't like the options currently available to the Freelancer and want to think outside the box and offer a new solution, feel free to do so, but know that 1. the majority of other players will still have to support you and 2. I, as the game master, retain final veto on non-standard suggestions, to prevent silliness and de-railing the game. On that note...

Don't de-rail the game!
This is a game thread, in CF. That means it goes by CF's normal rules for game threads. Even though it's got a very open attitude on who can be players (anyone who wants to participate), people who are being disruptive to the game, constantly posting silly and trying to de-rail the game will get reported for it. Don't be a dick!

Haven't you run this before?
I did, in fact, run Mass Effect: Freelancer before. Two years ago I ran this game to completion and a lot of people enjoyed it. The sequel game, Dark Matter, was... not as good. So, this is something of a reboot of Freelancer, with new characters, new story, new continuity, but the same basic premise as before.

How are choices made?
When I present a choice, I basically allow for a certain amount of time and/or people to weigh in before moving on. You make your choice by posting in this thread. If someone has already made the same choice as you'd make, you can just click Agree on their post if you like and I do count those, although keep in mind they could edit their post later and that either removes your agree or might make you agree to something you might not want to (depending on complex timing stuff, the Agree system is nebulous). I don't count Awesomes or the more... exotic things you can attach to other people's posts. When in doubt, the safe bet is to just post what you'd like to see selected from the available choices. After a given amount of time and/or votes, I move on and go with the majority.
The thing is, there's no hard and fast rule on how long I give for a choice or how many votes I take before I move on. It all depends on activity levels and interest and how important the choice is. Sometimes I'll let the voting on a very important choice go all day. Sometimes I'll let something relatively less important be decided by ten votes over the course of two hours. I try to be fair and use my best judgment, but if I decided to use a hard and fast specific rule for voting the game would take forever to progress because there are definite slow periods where people don't pay attention to what's going on and don't vote promptly.

Wj4qNk1.jpg
EMPKzoj.gif

• Options
    ub1gCiN.jpg
    lZcTgQg.jpg
    EVRvi0t.jpg
    Cyp4EHL.jpg
    OBfbnaN.jpg
    xKsIE3f.jpg
    Rb9o2nl.jpg

• Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    FEMALE 01

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    female 03 looks a bit blank so female 02

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I like the cut of Male 02's jib

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Let's rock Male 01

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Male 03 has that kind of "French fried potaters..." look that I really go for in a freelance merc.
    Bonus points if he uses a knife an omni tool that may be called a sling blade, even if he refers to it as a kaiser blade.

Mmmm-hmmmm

see317 on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Awwwwww yeah....

male 02 is my vote

• Options
    SixshotStrikerSixshotStriker Registered User regular
    I'm thinkin' Female 01

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Male 03.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Female 02

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    AarsethAarseth Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Female 01

Aarseth on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Female 01

• Options
    Female 01 is selected.

e93cSWX.jpg

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    3 - Spacer

Let's go for the happy medium between rich kid and dirt poor

also, space is cool

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    1 - Earthborn.
    We need money to buy explosives. Also probably weapons and armor and upkeep on a ship maybe.
    But mostly for explosives.

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    1 - Earthbooooooorn

In addition to money, I want cool connections with corporations and high-society types.

BRIBE THE GOVERNMENT

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    3 - Spacer

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    1 - Earthborn

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    1 - R I C H K I D B O Y S

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    2 - Colonist

• Options
    1-Earthborn

• Options
    Earthborn

• Options
    1 - Earthborn

inbNwAe.jpg

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    3 - Vanguard

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    3. Vanguard

There is no problem shot gun telekinesis can't solve.

Quid on
  • Options
    radroadkillradroadkill MDRegistered User regular
    3. Vanguard

Always and forever a Vanguard.

• Options
    3. vangard l0l

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    2 - Infiltrator

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    3 vangod or i feed

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    pic never not relevant
    ME2_vanguard_gentleman_s_guide.png

• Options
    While Infiltrator seems interesting, I'm going with Vanguard because that seems too entertaining to pass up.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Vanguard.

Self taught psychic psychotic. Just boosting into people and exploding their faces like a lunatic.

• Options
    1 - Soldier

• Options
    3 - Vanguard

Feels like it fits the best with the Earthborn background, IMO.

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    2-Infiltrator

• Options
    3 - Vanguard

• Options
    gaming_librariangaming_librarian Turn your face to the sun... Registered User regular
    2-Infiltrator

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Vanguard sounds too cool.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    3 - Vanguard

Xsntqyi.jpg

• Options
    3. DEFIANT B O Y S

obF2Wuw.png