As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer 40k [Inquisitor: Martyr] Innocentia Nihil Probat

KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels StupendousRegistered User regular
edited May 2016 in Games and Technology
Chaos claims the unwary or the incomplete. A true man may flinch away its embrace, if he is stalwart, and he girds his soul with the armor of contempt.
-from The Spheres of Longing; Gideon Ravenor

warhammer_40000_inquisitor_martyr.jpg
Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse
-Inquistor Titus Drake

Have you ever wanted to play this guy?
eisenhorn-2.jpg
How about this guy?
latest?cb=20120907185939
I have.
Ever since I read the Inquisitor Eisenhorn and Ravenor novels I have wanted a game where you would play an Inquisitor in the 40k universe in an action game or an RPG game.
Well, someone is apparenty making it.
Warhammer 40k: Inquisitor: Martyr is a third person action RPG made by Neocore games. The company that brought us the Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing games and the King Arthur strategy games.
Here is a teaser:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve01tM-ue_g
Now, you might say, "That teaser didn't tell a Emperordamned thing!"
And you would be... right.

Discuss.

Edit: Screenies
CLthfVJWwAA2WIP.jpg:large

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2015/08/inquisitor-martyr-video-game-new-pics.html

Edit 2:
New info!

Ability to bring Acolytes on missions is in.

Game is ARPG

Combat drugs are in. Wonder if one can partake in Obscura or Flecs.

Cover is in.

You can pause the game mid combat it seems, so maybe you can control your acolytes Bioware style. New Screenies:

W40K_Inquisitor_Martyr_PreAlpphaScreenshot__5_-pc-games.jpg

W40K_Inquisitor_Martyr_PreAlpphaScreenshot__4_-pc-games.jpg

W40K_Inquisitor_Martyr_PreAlpphaScreenshot__2_-pc-games.jpg

Gameplay vid: (PRE-ALPHA)
http://www.ign.com/videos/2015/08/08/warhammer-40k-inquisitor-martyr-gameplay-demo-ign-live-gamescom-2015?utm_source=IGN hub page&utm_medium=IGN (front page)&utm_content=17&utm_campaign=Blogroll

New info from this vid:

Sandbox world mode included with a story mode that starts on a "ghostship" trying to find out what happened to it.

The story mode will apparently open up to the sandbox mode. It will also be singleplayer only to enforce a survival horror feel to it, but the sandbox mode will have cooperative and apparently competitive systems in place. You can play with your buddies in the sandbox mode.

The sandbox world will cover an Imperial sector, and you can travel to the different worlds, stations, and moons in it.

Inquisitors get their own inquisitorial ships

Player Inquisitors have the choice of combat classes.

Inquisitors are going to get their own inquisitorial stronghold, and player inquisitors can attack other player inquisitor strongholds. Puritan and Radical factions as they are, this is liable to happen in a sector of the Imperium with the presence of several Inquisitors of different factions and ordos.

Randomly generated dungeons (except for the story mode)

http://www.mmorpg.com/mobile/features.cfm?read=9987&game=0&ismb=1
Martyr is set in its own secluded sector of space, the Caligari Sector. This lets NeocoreGames run the story how they want. Sectors get cut off from the galaxy at large every so often, Battlefleet Gothic after all is all about the cut off Gothic Sector.
"It contains everything that a Warhammer 40,000 sector should, while it is quarantined from the Imperium, which makes it a special sandbox with a persistent world."
There is a story mode for people who want to slog through the mysteries of the Caligari Sector themselves and find out what is going on and why exactly Nurgle is out rotting things. When a bad guy takes the approach of throwing up on me, I feel comfortable blaming Papa Nurgle. Alterntaively there is the open world persistent Inquisitorial Campaign.
People can choose how they want to progress through the sandbox world on the star map, picking and choosing from the missions on offer and teaming up in four person co-op for loot and the Glory of the Imperium. Here the concept of consequences was stressed. The sector will have events playing out and how people react to them will determine how things change. If the majority of players elect to stave off Dark Eldar raids instead of crushing a nascent WAAGH, well they can look forward to more Ork incursions and problems in the future. The combined actions of the playerbase will help steer these events while the personal actions of the players will determine their own reputation and standings.
As well as the Inquisitorial Campaign, we were teased with the idea of the Inquisitorial Fortress. Fortresses are customizable safe havens for players... to a degree. It wouldn't be Warhammer without some infighting. Puritan Inquisiors versus Radicals anyone? While it is said that the player won't fight other players directly, there are many Ordos and factions with different agendas, so the players can attack each other's Fortresses for valuable loot.

Kadoken on

• Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    Action RPG? Like Diblows(Diablo) but with Boltguns and crazy grim-dark Gothic science fiction shit?

And possibly guys like this?
    u2bz63uk36pk.jpg
    Sign me the fuck up!

• Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    Bolters, swords, lasguns, arbites and daemonhosts. Sign me up.

Love that new 40K game smell.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm in. Neocore can probably put something fun together with this.

• Options
    DreadBertDreadBert Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Jeeze, a w40k game where your the inquisitor, fairly dark stuff? Wonder if it will come with a voucher for therapy.

Edit - don't get me wrong I'd even risk preorder. Those inquisitor related dark library books make are pretty darn dark though

DreadBert on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Oh a game about inquisitors!

Oh its not about killing inquisitors. :bigfrown:

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Oh a game about inquisitors!

Oh its not about killing inquisitors. :bigfrown:

Well, I'm betting there's a Radical or two...

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I'm guessing, given the sub title, that we're not expecting a happy ending here?
    Granted, it's 40k so a happy ending was never really in the cards (unless there are some Slaneeshi cultists out there heyoo!), but titling it "Martyr" seems to guarantee it'll be 10-15% more grimdark than usual.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    I'm guessing, given the sub title, that we're not expecting a happy ending here?
    Granted, it's 40k so a happy ending was never really in the cards (unless there are some Slaneeshi cultists out there heyoo!), but titling it "Martyr" seems to guarantee it'll be 10-15% more grimdark than usual.

There is no happier ending a man can achieve in life than sacrificing it in service to the God Emperor.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    Ever since reading Eisenhorn I've wanted a Planescape: Torment-style CRPG from the viewpoint of an Inquisitor. Think of all you could do with the dialogue, sidequests, and interesting party members.

This will have to do, I guess.

gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • Options
    DreadBertDreadBert Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »

There is no happier ending a man can achieve in life than sacrificing it in service to the God Emperor.

Depending on what black library books you read, that is quite literately true... Freaking Walking Dead graphic novels are lighter reading. If its bad enough for an inquisitor to be involved simple death is the happiest ending for most named characters. Or it used to be, haven't read any of the grim-dark black library stuff for years.

Now if this was around Commissar Cain, I'd be downright giddy with anticipation. The world needs a Witcher style RPG based on Cain with Bruce Cambel doing the voice acting.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I am super skeptical, as GW has been signing off on a lot of 40k shovelware lately

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DreadBert wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »

Depending on what black library books you read, that is quite literately true... Freaking Walking Dead graphic novels are lighter reading. If its bad enough for an inquisitor to be involved simple death is the happiest ending for most named characters. Or it used to be, haven't read any of the grim-dark black library stuff for years.

Now if this was around Commissar Cain, I'd be downright giddy with anticipation. The world needs a Witcher style RPG based on Cain with Bruce Cambel doing the voice acting.

I never realized I wanted this until just now.

and knowing I cant have it makes me wish I could hate you to death

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Bah, who needs tanky Inquisitors when you have Amberley Vail?

Yes yes, she had a power suit, but it wasn't Terminator class.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I am super skeptical, as GW has been signing off on a lot of 40k shovelware lately

Incredible Adventures was pretty fun with some neat mechanics apparently so I'm not too worried. I'm not gonna set terribly high expectations though because yeah, GW has really been going nuts with the shovelware lately.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Chaos claims the unwary or the incomplete. A true man may flinch away its embrace, if he is stalwart, and he girds his soul with the armor of contempt.

Sorry, but it's "Armour" of Contempt. English language!

Anyway, I loved the bit in the Gaunt's Ghosts novels where Gaunt is trying to get his team, who had just escaped a chaos-held planet, out of quarantine by quoting the Armour of Contempt, and his CO just says, "don't quote Ravenor to me!" and it's funny because it's like the apples scene in Good Will Hunting (and because the characters are quoting the same author's other series).

Anyway cautiously optimistic about the game.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Both Gothics are a mix of European and Asian-Pacific languages and AMERICAN thank-you-very-much!

Ain't need that superfluous "u" clogging that space!

I also like when 40k works reference each other. There a few Gaunts Ghosts references in Caiaphas Cain, such as the presence of wood from Tanith, the mention of a "Commisar-Colonel" in one of Amberley's notes, and I believe one of the Tanith was there in Cain's Last Stand, as one of the troops under his command shouted the "give them the straight silver!" line.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    I hope it's more along the lines of Dark Heresy than Space Marine. I don't want to be mowing down legions of daemons or Chaos Space Marines. I want to be decidedly human (as human as an Inquisitor can be) in the 40K universe for a change.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    Low Gothic is a mix of Chinese, Spanish, Swahili, and AMERICAN thank-you-very-much!

latest?cb=20090428200055

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Clearly a typo.

his

Kadoken on
  • Options
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    CumVBwH.jpg

When WH40K: Space Marine came out I said I wanted an Inquisitor RPG game. I hope this comes out on the Xbox One cause I need to purge xenos filth in the name of the Emperor.
    Now for someone to announce a big old Imperial Guard game where you play as an Imperial Guard in a big fps war game. Lets show Call of Duty the real horrors of war.

• Options
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    The King Arthur games were exceptionally mediocre and poorly coded, and the Van Helsing games were fun, but nothing great. I'm not very optimistic but will probably play it anyhow.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options

Sorry, but it's "Armoire" of Contempt. English language!

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Put me on with people who are not super hopeful about this. Particularly since no real details have been announced and they call it an action RPG with a trailer showing off a heavily armored and armed dude talking about how he's the fist of the Emperor. I would strongly prefer an RPG more about investigation and occasional combat.

I mean, might still be fun. Just not gonna assume it will be anything super noteworthy.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Iblis wrote: »
    Put me on with people who are not super hopeful about this. Particularly since no real details have been announced and they call it an action RPG with a trailer showing off a heavily armored and armed dude talking about how he's the fist of the Emperor. I would strongly prefer an RPG more about investigation and occasional combat.

I mean, might still be fun. Just not gonna assume it will be anything super noteworthy.

When heresy is wide spread but exterminatus is not an option. You put away your beautiful long coat and put on your power armor long coat. Marine chapters can not always be trusted to be loyal to the inquisition ways. And if you are not willing to shed heretic blood yourself then you have failed the Emperor.

• Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    can I be a kroot in this

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    I always liked the Inquisitor in the Caiaphas Cain books.

CC: "You don't look much like an Inquisitor."
    IAV: "That's very much the point."

I mean, she could throw down against Tyranid hybrids with the best of them, but she was all about subtle uses of power and smart solutions.

• Options
    Yeah, that's Amberly, she has some choice words to say about "traditional" inquistors... though to be fair the Imperium needs a sledgehammer too.

• Options
    It seems like "traditional" inquisitors end up as heretics of one sort or another more often than not in the literature.

Of course the line between loyal and heretic is pretty damn fine. I mean, Eisenhorn is still, at least nominally, working for the Imperium, and that guy is compromised as fuck.

And yes I'm waiting patiently for the sequel to Pariah, why do you ask?

• Options
    Look no further than the 40k MMO as to why I have low expectations for these games nowadays. After the debacle that was Warhammer Online, GW didn't learn a damn thing and now the newest MMO is being...crowdfunded and is basically "we ripped Space Marine's multi and we'll make that an MMO somehow."

Once Relic lost the licence, GW has been just handing the IP to the lowest bidders.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    And remember: hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Did Relic lose the license completely? I thought they were making another Dawn of War game.

Good lord the Warhammer licenses are such a clusterfuck, though.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    There are rumors bubbling that Sega got the license back and have registered a Dawn of War 3 domain. This makes sense, as I think they're publishing the Warhammr Fantasy AGE OF SIGMAR Total War game, and they bought Relic from THQ.

Also, I don't think Relic has been super active recently?

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    No not really, other than balancing Company of Heroes 2 and releasing the odd mini-expansion for it.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Frei wrote: »

Sorry, but it's "Armoire" of Contempt. English language!
    020729.gif

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    When WH40K: Space Marine came out I said I wanted an Inquisitor RPG game. I hope this comes out on the Xbox One cause I need to purge xenos filth in the name of the Emperor.
    Now for someone to announce a big old Imperial Guard game where you play as an Imperial Guard in a big fps war game. Lets show Call of Duty the real horrors of war.

Game's releasing on PC, PS4 and XBone :D

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    There are rumors bubbling that Sega got the license back and have registered a Dawn of War 3 domain. This makes sense, as I think they're publishing the Warhammr Fantasy AGE OF SIGMAR Total War game, and they bought Relic from THQ.

Also, I don't think Relic has been super active recently?

Unless they're changing gears, the Total War game takes place in the traditional Warhammer Fantasy world, and not whatever is going on over in Age of Sigmarines.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Gameplay will be shown Aug 5-9 at Gamescom in Cologne, according to the W40k: Inquisitor Twitter.

Edit: to be honest, though I've wanted an Inquisitor game for a long time, I am hoping that "Third person action RPG" does not mean a game like Diablo with their current game history. I have never been able to fully enjoy games like Diablo or Torchlight. Though if that does turn out to be the case I'll look past it because 40k.

Kadoken on