As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Help with Dosbox?

imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this.Registered User regular
I purchased fantasy general on gog and it installed dosbox for me - the game scrolls TOOOOO fast on the edges of the screen, otherwise everything is perfect. I did some googling and found that I need to change the cycles to 2000 - I can find the dosbox config but I see no option to change the cycles. Can anyone point in the right direction please? [windows 7 os]

• KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    Ctrl-F11 should lower CPU Cycles, Ctrl-F12 speeds them up.

So just hold control and hit f11 a few times, see if that helps.

• imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this. Registered User regular
    thanks so much! I'll try that when I get in this evening.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    There is a line in the config file, in the CPU section, where you can set the cycles. It should say Auto by default, though it might assume Auto if the line is missing, as may be your case. You might report this issue to GoG as their games are supposed to be configured to pretty much run out of the box. If this setting is universal, they should put it in the config file so people don't have to mess.
    DOSBox wiki has a breakdown of the different parameters of the conf file. This is the CPU section.
    http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Dosbox.conf#.5Bcpu.5D
    edit: It just occurred to me since you're in Win7 it might be that the config file it's actually using is showing up in your roaming profile or something instead of the default install location or something. Some programs are weird like that. Do a search of your entire C: (or whatever your system drive is) for dosbox.conf and see if you get multiple occurrences.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this. Registered User regular
    dosbox.config just gets me the executable :(

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    You'll probably have to do the search from the file explorer and not the start menu. It did the same thing for me, since the start menu focuses on executables.
    But doing it from explorer worked.

steam_sig.png