As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] - ITT: Gaslighting Jergarmar with snuggles and hugs.

19495969798100»

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Dang I feel like a jerk. Set up the trade and said I'd be getting a box and we probably would ship Tuesday since they're closed Monday.
    Guy shipped this morning and delivery is set for Tuesday. :o

I tried to run out and ship but post office was closed early and staples was out of the boxes that would fit the game. Tried the medium but it was just too small. :-(

Hopefully they've got the boxes Tuesday or I'll just have to eat some extra cost and ship a big box. I feel bad I'll have the game before I even ship now.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    I guess locally the new game of thrones lcg has taken off way more than netrunner. My only experience with that game was in the previous lcg version and it was kind of a miserable experience but that is partially due to it being a 4 player game with 3 people not knowing wtf is going on and the 4th "teaching".... poorly. Any comments on the new version from a 1v1 perspective (preferably competitively) and modularity for casual (3+) multiplayer?
    I had a similar experience with L5R many years ago, someone with barely a clue trying to teach five other people in one big Free For All. I think I left the demo at the one hour mark when I still hadn't had a chance to take a turn yet.

My experience with GoT 2E, based on one duel and two turns of a 3p game: duel seems like it's probably a good game; adding a third player bloats the time for the game to at least triple, and probably longer. I'm generally not a fan of FFA games these days (too many bad experiences with five hour MtG games over the years), so I don't think I'll be playing it again, but from what I saw, a person who actually likes FFA and customizable card games would probably like it a lot.

our 3+ player experiences would be rare but that is not encouraging. i would anticipate that everyone would lose interest approximately 15 minutes in. maybe after we play a bunch of 1v1 we can expand to that. i have found a lot of success with our group when we have 2 people playing and 1 observing with the rulebook to try and "manage" the game.

i am not sure why AGoT would be more popular than netrunner but after close to a year we have only ever had at most i think 5 people at a given netrunner night (2 of which being myself and my wife). maybe they have a bunch of people on nights where we can't attend but it sonuds like if we don't show up it isn't uncommon to literally have 1 guy there. comparatively we showed up early for netrunner the other day and there were 6 people for AGoT out of nowhere. apparently there is a tournament coming up at the end of the month which pushed people to come out and play but i didn't get the chance to ask them. since that was a few weeks ago and we haven't been back i don't know if it was a 1 time thing. i've unfortunately played enough card games that went the way of the dodo that i am concerned i am seeing that with netrunner (not overall just in our local area in this case).

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    I would not at all be surprised that Game of Thrones is more popular than Netrunner, because Game of Thrones is possibly the biggest show on TV, whereas most people have no idea what cyberpunk even means.

sig.gif
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    I would not at all be surprised that Game of Thrones is more popular than Netrunner, because Game of Thrones is possibly the biggest show on TV, whereas most people have no idea what cyberpunk even means.

Also, the books have had a very dedicated following for a long time. When FFG first acquired the license was long before the TV show started.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    It probably doesn't hurt that AGOT's mechanics are more... I'd say "straight-forward" and closer to more traditional card games?

Pick a plot, play some dudes and things that produce more money for more dudes, attack with your dudes, watch as you realized you messed up your attacks and your opponent kills all your dudes in counter.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Fry wrote: »
    I guess locally the new game of thrones lcg has taken off way more than netrunner. My only experience with that game was in the previous lcg version and it was kind of a miserable experience but that is partially due to it being a 4 player game with 3 people not knowing wtf is going on and the 4th "teaching".... poorly. Any comments on the new version from a 1v1 perspective (preferably competitively) and modularity for casual (3+) multiplayer?
    I had a similar experience with L5R many years ago, someone with barely a clue trying to teach five other people in one big Free For All. I think I left the demo at the one hour mark when I still hadn't had a chance to take a turn yet.

My experience with GoT 2E, based on one duel and two turns of a 3p game: duel seems like it's probably a good game; adding a third player bloats the time for the game to at least triple, and probably longer. I'm generally not a fan of FFA games these days (too many bad experiences with five hour MtG games over the years), so I don't think I'll be playing it again, but from what I saw, a person who actually likes FFA and customizable card games would probably like it a lot.

GoT at >2p is not FFA. Every player is dealt a role card each round that dictates who they can and can't attack.

Maybe I should have called it Every Man For Himself? There aren't any teams, and my experience was that at small player counts, I could usually attack whoever I wanted, and I imagine at large player counts you can almost always attack who you want. And it will still be full of the same sorts of politicking that I hated in MtG FFA. Seems close enough to FFA that I might as well call it that.

Fry on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    It probably doesn't hurt that AGOT's mechanics are more... I'd say "straight-forward" and closer to more traditional card games?

Pick a plot, play some dudes and things that produce more money for more dudes, attack with your dudes, watch as you realized you messed up your attacks and your opponent kills all your dudes in counter.
    TropicThunderMeme.jpg :D

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    You can punch deck in netrunner, therefore it is the best.

But more seriously it is a pretty unique cardgame that was tricky for even my magic playing friends to really get.

• Options
    TheSmackerTheSmacker Registered User regular
    This was the year that my family finally said "Oh, so you just want to give us a giant list of boardgames every year when we ask for Christmas/Birthday ideas?"
    qSfrmQU.jpg

Look at Five Tribes just taunting me down in the corner, knowing that nobody in my family will every play it with me.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Oh snaps I didn't know roll for the galaxy had an expansion out.

Shoot I may need to get that.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    My group has now finished March in Pandemic Legacy, and we only lost our first game. Which means we're going into April with zero funding. Hnnngh.... only two rioting cities right now, but plenty of unstable ones
    and a lot of them are in the black area, which is our nasty superbug.

the other diseases we've eradicated and named, so we've got Ginger Fever for red, the Trumps for yellow, and Affluenza for blue.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Imperial Settlers was a success with the gaming group! Everyone enjoyed it a lot. It's pretty likely an expansion is in the cards at some point. Bit by bit I'm slowly managing to get them to try more stuff.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    I have crafted a new thread. Feel free to propose a better thread title!

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/202905/board-games-new-year-new-games?new=1