Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Game On]Zombie Master Beta Release!!

AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS
edited June 2007 in Games and Technology
Zombie Master, the Half-Life Deathmatch mod wherein you play as either humans in fps style gameplay or zombies in rts mode, has just had its very first beta release! Apparently it's more like an alpha because of a very large amount of bugs and only one map and what not, but it ought to be at least worth a try.
Download Link: http://www.zombiemaster.org/index.php

AJAlkaline40 on
idiot.jpg
«1345

Posts

  • GiantRoboGiantRobo Registered User
    edited April 2007
    Totally gonna download this when I get home.

    Be as gay as you can. You're already dressed as a pirate, that's a good first step.
  • EdcrabEdcrab Registered User
    edited April 2007
    Not exactly unbiased, as I've tested the alpha, but I'm (a) surprised this is out so soon and (b) surprised that it even bloody works :wink:

    One map, few basic weapons for the humans and four zombie types for the Master: the devs are getting feedback on required tweaks and most of the overall response seems pretty positive.

    It could use some polish, but for demonstrating the game's premise- I mean, it's a beta afterall- it's pretty good. Heh, basically I want more maps to appear. Woo!

    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So.. Uh.. Game On? This is one of those games that I'd really prefer to play with PAers rather than the great unwashed.

    Edit: also, some pretties!
    Spoiler:

    spideysig.gif
  • EdcrabEdcrab Registered User
    edited April 2007
    That'd make sense. I recommend a small player count, though- and there's not a Linux server build just yet.

    And Hulks? Those bastards are tough.

    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • GinsaneGinsane Registered User
    edited April 2007
    The controls make my head hurt... more so than AC4. Or I'm missing a lock on button.

    Live!: Burnout Cowboy - DS: Too many.
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Been playing this for awhile. Its fun, but being a early beta it has its share of problems. I really can't wait for a more solid release and more maps.

    They need to changed the Banshee. Right now they are either to powerful for their price or too cheap for their strength.

  • WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Oh snap, Zombies!

    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • EdcrabEdcrab Registered User
    edited April 2007
    Axen wrote: »
    Been playing this for awhile. Its fun, but being a early beta it has its share of problems. I really can't wait for a more solid release and more maps.

    They need to changed the Banshee. Right now they are either to powerful for their price or too cheap for their strength.

    Yeah, that's exactly what I thought. I think the current plan is to introduce some sort of population cap for them, because although they're the weakest zombie, their speed and attack power really messes players up.

    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I like the other zombie mod more.

  • TrevorTrevor Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, I really wanted to like this. I don't know if the build is too early and unpolished or what but I spent a good 45 minutes trying to squeeze any amount of fun out of this mod and it just wasn't happening. Oh well, maybe the next build will be more to my liking.

    sigleftyp0.pngbaty8.pngzuneenderfinaltw6.png
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited April 2007
    So one guy controls all the zombies that have some sort of AI, and the rest of the players are people? Can you build powerplants that pump out more zombies?

  • darleysamdarleysam Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    and no-one's mentioned "master beta" yet?

    shame on you guys.

  • AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS
    edited April 2007
    RYGAR wrote: »
    So one guy controls all the zombies that have some sort of AI, and the rest of the players are people? Can you build powerplants that pump out more zombies?

    More or less, yeah. Only instead of the powerplant thing you have various spawn points throughout the map and you can use resources to purchase zombies to put at them. You have limited control over the zombies in a sort of warcraft-like fashion, and 4 varieties to choose from, including shamblies; your typical worthless zombie, hulks; big slow strong ones, banshees; weak hard hitting fast zombies, and spitters; ranged attack zombies.

    EDIT: Should I make this into a game on thread? I don't really know the difference.

    idiot.jpg
  • Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User
    edited April 2007
    darleysam wrote: »
    and no-one's mentioned "master beta" yet?

    shame on you guys.


    GOD DAMN YOU. I swear I was about to make that comment

    tf2_sig.png
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So, uh... how do you join a team. I'm stuck as a spectator.

  • AvenroshAvenrosh Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Is this more fun than the Zombie Horde CS script? I'm downloading right now...

    Speaking of HL2 zombie mods, has anyone heard any news on No More Room in Hell?

  • fsmith1fsmith1 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Well, I just played it for an hour and some, and while the game is incredibly unpolished, it still achieves some pretty intense moments as well as some hillarious ones. I'd recommend that anyone trying this should keep an open mind, but I think the key to enjoying it is playing with good people. Spectating can be hells of intense as long as you immerse yourself in it. Anyways, give it a shot, it's not like it costs you any money.

    76288.png
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    If the word "beta" is an adjective, then right now this game is incredibly beta. Expect crashes every now and then, along with no semblance whatsoever of game balance (the zombie master can pretty much win every round). But it's fun, and promising. It's nowhere near a level of polish that it needs to be seriously playable, but I believe it will get there eventually.

  • Bobkins FlymoBobkins Flymo The Positive Perspective Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited April 2007
    Captain K wrote: »
    If the word "beta" is an adjective, then right now this game is incredibly beta. Expect crashes every now and then, along with no semblance whatsoever of game balance (the zombie master can pretty much win every round). But it's fun, and promising. It's nowhere near a level of polish that it needs to be seriously playable, but I believe it will get there eventually.
    Aren't alphas generally named so because they're internal? If so, I'd imagine this is only a "beta" because they don't have a large team to test it rigorously.

    GOr07uA.gif
  • vhzodvhzod Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Oooooh I get it ... master beta... HAR HAR HAR

  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Captain K wrote: »
    If the word "beta" is an adjective, then right now this game is incredibly beta. Expect crashes every now and then, along with no semblance whatsoever of game balance (the zombie master can pretty much win every round). But it's fun, and promising. It's nowhere near a level of polish that it needs to be seriously playable, but I believe it will get there eventually.
    Aren't alphas generally named so because they're internal? If so, I'd imagine this is only a "beta" because they don't have a large team to test it rigorously.
    Yeah, that's about right. The newspost on the ZM website even says as much; they just need more playtesters.

  • Bobkins FlymoBobkins Flymo The Positive Perspective Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited April 2007
    Captain K wrote: »
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Captain K wrote: »
    If the word "beta" is an adjective, then right now this game is incredibly beta. Expect crashes every now and then, along with no semblance whatsoever of game balance (the zombie master can pretty much win every round). But it's fun, and promising. It's nowhere near a level of polish that it needs to be seriously playable, but I believe it will get there eventually.
    Aren't alphas generally named so because they're internal? If so, I'd imagine this is only a "beta" because they don't have a large team to test it rigorously.
    Yeah, that's about right. The newspost on the ZM website even says as much; they just need more playtesters.
    Yeah, that's rather unfortunate. As this thread shows, most people aren't going to test something. They'll see it's an unfinished product and move on. Even I'm not really interested, despite the very cool concept.

    GOr07uA.gif
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I went to the ZM forums to make suggestions, but everything that I would have suggested has already been posted. When it comes out I'll play the next version and check the ZM forums again, to make sure nobody's missing anything.

    I don't think any of us owe the mod team any more than that. :P

  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    When I saw this thread title I actually said out loud "OH MY GOD YES."

    I am super excited about this game, and I'm appalled that few others seem to be. RTS vs FPS is the best gametype evar, and I can't wait until we see a finished product.

    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I fucking hate you Canadians.
  • GrimCalaveraGrimCalavera Registered User
    edited April 2007
    I'm still really looking forward to playing this when a real beta is released. At the moment the Alpha crashes before the map actually starts for me.

    There is a moment of sheer panic...
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I just played a few rounds with a friend just to try it out, and it's a lot of fun. Man. The zombie master seems to have a great advantage in most cases, but still, nothing quite like hearing your friend screaming over vent as you spawn a million shamblers around him.

    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I fucking hate you Canadians.
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    hey so we should play tonight

    (even though this isn't a game on thread because captain k lied to me)

  • EdcrabEdcrab Registered User
    edited April 2007
    Sounds good. Version 1.01 is out now, so I'd like to see how that shifts the dynamic.

    Still expecting total Master pwnage, mind.

    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    darleysam wrote: »
    and no-one's mentioned "master beta" yet?

    shame on you guys.


    GOD DAMN YOU. I swear I was about to make that comment

    Damn, I've been beat'd

  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Edcrab wrote: »
    Sounds good. Version 1.01 is out now, so I'd like to see how that shifts the dynamic.

    word


    getting it now, can't wait to try it

  • TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I missed this thread.

    Getting it tonight, want to play around 8 or 9 est. You guys still playing this?

    sig4.jpg
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    v.1.0.1 is more fun than v1.0.0, but it's still not enough to hold my attention for too long. I'm definitely keeping my eye on future updates, though.

  • ImperfectImperfect Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm a moron. How do I install this? Just extract to my HL2 folder?

  • EdcrabEdcrab Registered User
    edited April 2007
    zombie_master subfolder, right? Put it all in your SourceMods folder.

    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • MightyMighty Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    so far the game is lacking just a little bit.
    most notable is the fact that the "spitters" cannot spit yet.

    also, there needs to be a slight delay on zombie summoning when someone is on the spawn point. because as it stand now, if they are on top, spawning 5-10 shamblies will kill them (though most ZM's will make 5-10 banshees)

    as many have said the banshees are either too quick or too cheap. therefore i impose a 5 spawn limit on myself when i play with PA'ers. though i dont count "trap spawns" in this number.

    most zombie masters dont know that there are underground tunnels with spawns inside them! press shift as the ZM for freelook noclip and go see, there are several spots you'd want a hulk or something similar to be at round start.

    make good use of traps!! as a ZM you should know that theres a "set a trap skill" and while it costs more its a set and forget type of thing! so ste a trap for the crate to fall when someone heads for it, set a trap for the tower to electrify when someone starts climbing the ladder! spawn zombies and send them around corners so that you surprize poeple!

    this game is only as fun/unfun as the ZM wants to make it.

    p.s.
    winning easy is just 2 words "Mass banshees"

    steam_sig.png
    Gamertag - Mightyvvhitey
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Mighty wrote: »
    so far the game is lacking just a little bit.
    most notable is the fact that the "spitters" cannot spit yet.

    The spitters actually do spit. Just only works with in like 5 feet.

    I agree with the rest though. If a ZM really wants to win they usually can by spam.

    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I was pretty excited to throw down some zombie ass, but alas when I boot up the game all I get is a perpetual black screen.

    edit : Wow, I'm getting some memory read bull shit error. I remember I started getting this error when I tried CS on my laptop. It was fixed with editing the shortcut but hell if I can remember what it was. Lets hope H/A hasn't been purged of my old thread.

  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    Captain K wrote: »
    v.1.0.1 is more fun than v1.0.0, but it's still not enough to hold my attention for too long. I'm definitely keeping my eye on future updates, though.

    so are we not playing then

  • TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Oriak I will play when I get home from campus and get it installed.

    sig4.jpg
  • TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Yo anyone up for a game

    sig4.jpg
«1345
Sign In or Register to comment.