As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sudrian [Chat]

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Neco wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    Also, episodic gaming can die in a fire

Half-Life 2: Episode 3 already did. :(

We should make cliffhanger endings illegal.

God that was the worst

is the worst

will be the worst

all tenses

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    Also, episodic gaming can die in a fire

Half-Life 2: Episode 3 already did. :(

We should make cliffhanger endings illegal.

When you have someone do 90% of the work for you (Icefrog) why do you bother making another game what would require creative work.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    @Neco The gray, long-haired garden kitten curled up around a small potted chili plant for a nap.

Unfortunately he leapt up and scampered away when I walked by with groceries, so no photos.

Awww! <3

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    http://ttte.wikia.com/wiki/The_Sad_Story_of_Henry

latest?cb=20150519170119

Hah hah hah wtf?

Why not just let your kids watch Saw and be done with it.

for the love of god, montresor

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    edited July 2015

latest?cb=20150519170119

Hah hah hah wtf?

that's EAP dark right there

edit

damn you @Orphane !

jmcdonald on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Y'all see the unused Crash Bandicoot animated cutscenes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t_4YclrGqM

is so 90's it hurts

Retarded, clumsy, arrogant hero characters were all the rage then. They've all but disappeared now.

• Options
    Is Sir Topman Hat supposed to be a bad guy?

He reads like a bad guy. Why don't the trains run him over and be done with his villany?

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

latest?cb=20150519170119

Hah hah hah wtf?

At least in Saw some of the people escape

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I've definitely started to just wait for an episodic game to reach its conclusion before I buy in, as I tend to enjoy the experience more if I can consume it all at once. I wonder if the episodic business model is actually rewarding for developers or not. Doesn't everybody just buy the "Season Pass" (all the episodes) anyway?

I can't see a downside. The money's in the devs' pockets. It's like pre-ordering Episode 1 at full price but you get Episodes 2-6 as a free bonus.

What I'm wondering is if Telltale (or whoever) makes more money by releasing "The Wolf Among Us" (or whatever) in 5 parts over the course of 8 months compared to if they just delayed the release for 8 months and released it all at once. I guess they must at least think that they do! Increased exposure, probably a longer tail on sales since it's like a new release coming out constantly. Since my experience is effectively the same if I just choose to wait (usually I also get a discount for my patience!) I guess I don't have a problem with the existence of the model if it's just letting more games get made.

I wonder about the effect of allowing the game to be sold in pieces. Does a $25 game sell better if you also sell in it pieces costing $5?

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

latest?cb=20150519170119

Hah hah hah wtf?

that looks like the best episode of Thomas ever

they should do that to all the trains

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    latest?cb=20150406145825

That face would be great to photoshop onto everything

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    I just wish devs stuck to some sort of release schedule

like look at these Dreamfall release dates
    Release date(s)
    Book One 21 October 2014
    Book Two 12 March 2015
    Book Three 25 June 2015

pure taking the piss like

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    "This train is too scared to do his job. Naturally the solution is to imprison it forever in darkness to serve as an example to other trains."

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    I've definitely started to just wait for an episodic game to reach its conclusion before I buy in, as I tend to enjoy the experience more if I can consume it all at once. I wonder if the episodic business model is actually rewarding for developers or not. Doesn't everybody just buy the "Season Pass" (all the episodes) anyway?

I can't see a downside. The money's in the devs' pockets. It's like pre-ordering Episode 1 at full price but you get Episodes 2-6 as a free bonus.

What I'm wondering is if Telltale (or whoever) makes more money by releasing "The Wolf Among Us" (or whatever) in 5 parts over the course of 8 months compared to if they just delayed the release for 8 months and released it all at once. I guess they must at least think that they do! Increased exposure, probably a longer tail on sales since it's like a new release coming out constantly. Since my experience is effectively the same if I just choose to wait (usually I also get a discount for my patience!) I guess I don't have a problem with the existence of the model if it's just letting more games get made.

I wonder about the effect of allowing the game to be sold in pieces. Does a $25 game sell better if you also sell in it pieces costing $5?

Depends of how good the game is.

Plus, 5 release hypes are better than one.

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    edited July 2015

What's your take on expansion packs? Do you usually wait until a 'Game of the Year' edition is out?

I'm doing that now for Alien: Isolation, patiently waiting until all 5 DLCs in one box.

Hmm, I actually don't ever specifically wait for Game of the Year editions the way I will deliberately hold off on an episodic game. Not sure exactly why I draw that distinction, I guess I view DLC as very strictly "additional content" opposed to an episode of a specifically designed experience. I do tend to wait for all of a game's DLC to come out and go on sale before I pick up any of it though, if I get around to it at all. Sometimes that results in buying a Game of the Year edition on top of the regular version I already own, depending on pricing. Looking at you, Skyrim Legendary Edition.

Kid Presentable on
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    The worst is when something ends on a cliffhanger and then gets cancelled.

YES HIT & MISS I AM LOOKING AT YOU.

• Options
    Life Is Strange seems to be coming out like every two months so I guess I'll play that in like October

• Options
    I love that in the American version they threw in a line about it being a 'temporary punishment'.

But in the British version of course it is every bit as final as it looks.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    why would you link that

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    where's SKFM to yell czar'd when you need him

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Orphane wrote: »
    where's SKFM to yell czar'd when you need him

he got bricked up in a tunnel for not getting enough billable hours this year

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    It is stupid hot today

Tomorrow looks that way too

I melt

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    time to eat chex mix and sit around for 8 hours.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Hahaha, I actually remember watching that episode as a kid!

• Options
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    It is stupid hot today

Tomorrow looks that way too

I melt

Stay at home in a tank top forever

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    adZVXq4.jpg

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Life Is Strange seems to be coming out like every two months so I guess I'll play that in like October

Totally worth playing. I'm pretty excited about the impending release of episode 4.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Postgame DLC is really good for the industry, even as gamers rail against it. It means you don't fire people when you are done making the game... it means you keep them employed until the inevitable sequel.

TellTale is hiring like crazy nowadays. Their growth has exploded, and part of it is due to the fact that they can continuously employ their talent rather than hiring and firing talent in waves. They have geared their whole studio toward making episodic games, and it works really well for them because there's always a new project to work on every 3 months.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Elki wrote: »

Totally worth playing. I'm pretty excited about the impending release of episode 4.

i have it bought but i will definitely lose interest if I love the first three chapters and can't plug the fourth one straight into my veins immediately

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Lets explore how fucked up it is that a children's show has two races of train, diesel and steam, and one of them is clearly the good guys and the other species of train is always viewed with suspicion.

And the diesel trains are more powerful, more efficient, and better for the environment!

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcT0Nsi2l4c

This is cruel! At least make it appear like he has no problem with it.

• Options
    i am stoked about every aspect of Life Is Strange expect for it being episodic

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    0Lm7bp8.jpg?1

This poster

It speaks to me

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcT0Nsi2l4c

This is cruel! At least make it appear like he has no problem with it.

This sends a strong message to the children about the penalties for nonconformity and failure to meet expectations.

I anticipate a 13% reduction in cat ears and inappropriate eye makeup.

• Options
    I miss the 90s

With the 90s gone it is harder to have new material with which to criticize the 90s

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    I miss the 90s

With the 90s gone it is harder to have new material with which to criticize the 90s

Don't worry, the roaring 20s are coming up.

• Options
    I miss the 90s

Aside from lame cartoons what is especially terrible about the 90's compared to the 80's, 70's, 60's etc?

• Options
    Quid wrote: »
    I miss the 90s

Don't worry, the roaring 20s are coming up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qXTw2gX5NA

This discussion has been closed.