As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Computer won't come back to life, help please. [SOLVED]

GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
Last night my desktop did something I've never seen it do before - was playing FFXIV and it just...shut down randomly. Started it up again, launched the game, shut down again immediately. Started it up again, and was able to play the remainder of the evening. I did keep an eye on my temps at that point, though, and noticed that in certain areas my CPU was rocketing up to the 80s/90s C. Not great.

Today I started playing again, it shut itself down again, and now it won't start back up again at all. I am getting nothing when I push the power button.

The lights on the mobo are on, so it seems to be getting some juice, but I am getting literally zero response from pushing the power button. Did I fry my CPU? Is my PSU finally giving up the ghost? Is there a good way for me to tell? Trying to figure out which parts I may need to replace and could use the help.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
Grundlestiltskin on

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Unplug/remove everything that's not required to turn the computer on: All but one stick of ram, all the hard drives/ssds/dvd drives, and remove the gpu too if you can plug your monitor into your mainboard. See if it boots that way.

Aside from having another PSU to test with, there's not a lot else you can do.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Tried it. Pulled the GPU and 3 sticks of RAM out, disconnected all the drives, still not so much as a click or whirr when I push the power button (though the power lights on the motherboard are on).

The PSU, mobo, and CPU are all almost 4 years old at this point, maybe it was just their time.

Grundlestiltskin on
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    This could be anything from a loose connection with the power button to a PSU or Motherboard that is on its last legs. I highly highly doubt it's your CPU itself.

take it to a shop. Let them check it out before you do anything too extreme.

• Options
    Maybe. I'd gotten in a 2-3 year upgrade cycle that I'd fallen out of because every time I look at CPU tier charts at tomshardware I second guess myself. The system currently:

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
    CPU: i5 2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3 GHz Quad Core
    GPU: GeForce GTX 770 (4 GB)
    PSU: Corsair 650 TX 650W
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4x 4GB

I've been looking for an excuse to upgrade and this may be it (it's not particularly easy for me to carve out time to take my desktop to a shop), but if there isn't anything there that's an obvious "replace me" I guess I'll try to make time.

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    You cycled through each stick of ram?

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    honestly your system is more than good enough. the 2500k is adequete for gaming still, the Devil's Canyon i7's aren't actually *that* much more powerful, especially if your 2500k is overclocked. 16GB of ram is.....excessive. 8GB is still the recommended norm unless you have needs outside of gaming that use it.

The only thing that stands out to upgrade is the GPU, the 770 is ok, but the 970 is better :biggrin:

As for what's actually broken with your machine, my first guess is power supply. Those are almost always the first thing to go. I'd see if you can borrow one or otherwise get your hands on another to test with.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    My guess would be power supply as well - that's usually what goes when you get random shutdowns.

The other issue could be that your CPU cooler fan died and temps are getting high and shutting things off.

See if you can get a warranty replacement on the PSU.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    My guess would be power supply as well - that's usually what goes when you get random shutdowns.

The other issue could be that your CPU cooler fan died and temps are getting high and shutting things off.

if the CPU was overheating the machine would still turn on after being left to cool down for 10 minutes or so. it'd just shut down again once the temperatures got high.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    wunderbar wrote: »

if the CPU was overheating the machine would still turn on after being left to cool down for 10 minutes or so. it'd just shut down again once the temperatures got high.

Yeah that's what I thought at first. It's just dead now though, even 12 hours later.

• Options
    wunderbar wrote: »

Oh yeah, 10 minutes would definitely be enough to fix that. Reading comprehension on my part.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Anecdotal, I know, but I had the same thing happen to mine. Playing Spec Ops: The Line a while back, PC froze briefly, shut itself off, then would not power back on again. I'm not sure how closely you watch your CPU temps, but I'd guess that is a secondary issue, not related to the shut down. My money is on PSU.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    I ordered a new PSU and cooler, we'll see if that does it in a few days.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    I ordered a new PSU and cooler, we'll see if that does it in a few days.

fingers crossed.

• Options
    Update - I got home from my trip and my desktop was randomly on, which seems like it should have been impossible but certainly strange nonetheless.

Anyways, I installed the new PSU and was able to use the computer all evening without issue. Success! The CPU is still running super hot, but that should be resolved when I install the new cooler tonight. Thanks everyone for the help.

• Options
    Just a quick update for anyone interested - I replaced my cooler and the temps dropped from 90-95C on the active game areas to 35-40C. Pretty significant improvement. Funny story though, when I took my old cooler out:
    yZ2nUxL.jpg

So...that may have been at least partly responsible for my heat issues. Maybe I should clean that more often. Whoops.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    :bigfrown:
    :bigfrown: :bigfrown: :bigfrown: :bigfrown: :bigfrown:

EDIT:

How? How is that even possible? Isn't your cooler pulling air from INSIDE your case? What does the inside of your case look like?!

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    :bigfrown:
    :bigfrown: :bigfrown: :bigfrown: :bigfrown: :bigfrown:

EDIT:

How? How is that even possible? Isn't your cooler pulling air from INSIDE your case? What does the inside of your case look like?!

At the direction of the cooler instructions, the fan is set to blow into the case. It looks like it's sucking up dust (and cat hair/dander) from behind my case and into the cooler vent.

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Just a quick update for anyone interested - I replaced my cooler and the temps dropped from 90-95C on the active game areas to 35-40C. Pretty significant improvement. Funny story though, when I took my old cooler out:
    yZ2nUxL.jpg

So...that may have been at least partly responsible for my heat issues. Maybe I should clean that more often. Whoops.

I had the same heat issues with my 4690K, with the temp jumping into the 80's while gaming. Threw on a cheapish cooler, now I max out in the high 50's. I have oc'd my CPU though, so that adds to the heat.

I suppose I'm fortunate that my cats don't come downstairs often, because my fan filter would probably look the same. As it is, I'm usually cleaning spiderwebs out of my case when I open it up.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    Put something in between the case and the fan, or the fan and the radiator to catch dust. Even putting a pantyhose layer sandwiched in there and cutting around it will do wonders.

Or if you want to get fancy:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999249&cm_re=dust_filter-_-11-999-249-_-Product

Something that is removable and will catch the dust before it coats your fans and radiators.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Thanks for the suggestion, just put in an order for one of these.