As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Terraria] Thread: Dig, Fight, Explore, Build!

• Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    So am I trying to farm a rare item? Hum. . . I should look at a plantera arena.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Anyone playing on the Xboner? I kind of want the achievement for getting all the pets and could use a hand with it, the rest I should be able to manage by myself, I've got a Clentaminator for Hallowed/Corrupted worlds.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    DyasAlure wrote: »
    I'm unlucky.

What is a good way to farm this?

Moss hornets start spawning in hard mode giving another enemy it can drop from. And you'll likely kill a lot of them clearing out an arena for Plantera. You'll have plenty of opportunity to get one later.
    Yeah, Bezoar is one of those pieces you'll have to vendortrash by the dozens, come being on hardmode for a while. It's that one and the blindfold.

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    Pirate invasions. What's up with those exactly? I had one happen, got it to 6% and it seemed to disappear for a while. It came back later, I got it to about 60% and again it vanished. Later again that day I got it to completion.

Golden Shower was extremely helpful for it, unfortunate naming aside.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Shimshai wrote: »
    Pirate invasions. What's up with those exactly? I had one happen, got it to 6% and it seemed to disappear for a while. It came back later, I got it to about 60% and again it vanished. Later again that day I got it to completion.

Did you ever leave the center of the map? I think invasion mobs only spawn there and nowhere else, even if you headed towards the direction the invasion is coming from and kill the initial spawn someplace else.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Shimshai wrote: »

Did you ever leave the center of the map? I think invasion mobs only spawn there and nowhere else, even if you headed towards the direction the invasion is coming from and kill the initial spawn someplace else.

They spawn at world center and wherever NPCs are. Used to be only world center, IIRC one of the 1.2 patches made it so they'll also turn up at NPCville.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    I headed a little bit to the west of spawn, to some nice flat ground. It was a small map so that may have been what happened. When I magic mirrored back home, it did continue so yeah, that's probably what happened.

The later stages didn't despawn when I headed away from home though, when the ship shows up, perhaps it locks it in.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    whenever someone says "how do i farm X" i say...blue candle and HOIK! WHat's a hoik? http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/hoik-guide-rapid-player-npc-etc-transport-using-only-sloped-tiles.1656/

use hoiks, switches, timers, and whatever to get mobs to be pushed above you, die, and drop items into your inventory. takes some setup but let's you afk farm while you sleep :)

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    I had a really weird pirate fight - the invasion came, and only having a defense in the 40s, I was getting my ass kicked. So I ran back to the house, opened the lava moats, and then blocked the doors shut while I tried to figure out what to do.

Only to watch pirate after pirate hurl themselves into the lava moats.

Okay, that's one way to weather an invasion. Then I saw the bottom of a ship swoop across the top of the screen. Oh shit! Were they going to kill the hell out of my NPC highrise?

Seemingly not, because a few seconds later, wrecked hull bits rained down on my house's 1st floor extension. The ship spawned two more times, something killing it dead, while the pirates all burned to death in lava, and I popped the doors open only long enough to kill the parrots.

But hey, I finished the invasion and didn't get my ass kicked, so..

• Options
    Anyone got any tips for Expert Fishron? I can do the parts that are the same in normal mode easy, but the new phase for expert kicks my ass not even 10 seconds after it starts.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I had a really weird pirate fight - the invasion came, and only having a defense in the 40s, I was getting my ass kicked. So I ran back to the house, opened the lava moats, and then blocked the doors shut while I tried to figure out what to do.

Only to watch pirate after pirate hurl themselves into the lava moats.

Okay, that's one way to weather an invasion. Then I saw the bottom of a ship swoop across the top of the screen. Oh shit! Were they going to kill the hell out of my NPC highrise?

Seemingly not, because a few seconds later, wrecked hull bits rained down on my house's 1st floor extension. The ship spawned two more times, something killing it dead, while the pirates all burned to death in lava, and I popped the doors open only long enough to kill the parrots.

But hey, I finished the invasion and didn't get my ass kicked, so..

short lava pits (half lava) are great in front of one way doors so that mobs burn themselves up and you can still collect loot.
    npcs now attack so they were probably killing the pirate ship...

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Pailryder wrote: »
    whenever someone says "how do i farm X" i say...blue candle and HOIK! WHat's a hoik? http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/hoik-guide-rapid-player-npc-etc-transport-using-only-sloped-tiles.1656/

use hoiks, switches, timers, and whatever to get mobs to be pushed above you, die, and drop items into your inventory. takes some setup but let's you afk farm while you sleep :)

Wait what? OMG.. I need to learn this. . .

Cause I spent almost 1 hour farming and no item yet. You know, probably close to 1 and half hour.

DyasAlure on
    My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Space gun w/Meteor armor and full 400 health enough for Skeletron ya think?

• Options
    Normal or expert mode? Either way it should doable, so long as you avoid the spinny head attack.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    In expert mode you will need a decent long arena and fast boots and swiftness potions for said spinny head attck

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Normal. I have a shitload of spiky balls too.

I haven't killed Queen Bee yet but I'm impatient for the Mechanic.

Cog on
  • Options
    Uhm, haven't fiddled much with the mechanic stuff lego but am I doing something wrong with timers? My traps connected to a 1-sec timer only activates once every 4th second. :/

• Options
    Traps have a cooldown of a few seconds between firing

three second timers should work best on them

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Ugh. That's the kind of thing that would've been good to know from anywhere ingame. Thanks anyway.

• Options
    So, I'm guessing I'm not supposed to have Solar Tablet Fragment prior to hard mode. Well once someone posted HOIK! I had to try, by golly you can HOIK right into the temple. It is dangerous in there though. I farmed the place out. I don't think I could survive a summon of the golem, but I'm tempted to try. Skipping straight to the golem without having beaten the all of flesh, that is interesting I think. I'm pretty sure I could kill the wall, I was just goofing off and having fun.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    DyasAlure wrote: »
    So, I'm guessing I'm not supposed to have Solar Tablet Fragment prior to hard mode. Well once someone posted HOIK! I had to try, by golly you can HOIK right into the temple. It is dangerous in there though. I farmed the place out. I don't think I could survive a summon of the golem, but I'm tempted to try. Skipping straight to the golem without having beaten the all of flesh, that is interesting I think. I'm pretty sure I could kill the wall, I was just goofing off and having fun.

Might as well try it! The power cores needed to summon it drop from enemies in the temple and that's all you'd lose so give it a shot.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Pretty sure they locked the altar so you can't use it without having killed plantera in the same world.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Pretty sure they locked the altar so you can't use it without having killed plantera in the same world.

This is true, on the other hand, hoinking into the temple means you can get a pre-Plantera Solar Tablet, which is nice if you want to spawn a solar eclipse farm Mothrons after beating all the mechanical bosses for broken Hero swords, but before killing Plantera for the first time so you don't have to deal with the more challenging mobs that also begin to spawn in eclipses post-plantera. You'll still want to do eclipses later for post-plantera drops like the Eye of Cthulhu yo-yo, but that will be a lot easier if you already have the Terra Blade to wreck shit with.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I think you have to defeat plantera before Mothra will spawn in solar eclipses

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    No, Mothron spawns after the mech bosses have been killed, but only drops broken hero swords until Plantera is killed.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Took care of queen bee and skeletron last night. Meteor armor and space gun gets you so far in normal.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    My brother got Windows 10 and it's not playing well with Terraria. Playing with two monitors either outright crashes it or has deleterious effects, exiting crashes it, all of the game worlds' text in the select screen is red, and they will not save and exit from games (I read this was a read-only problem with some of the files and I checked, but they're not read only) and trying to alt-tab out of the game when it's running crashes it and apparently the drivers? Makes the screen go blank with no way to fix it. And one time when I tried quitting normally after playing it it crashed and made my whole screen grey, with no icons or anything. The taskbar and steam and everything still worked, just no desktop icons or anything.

So I guess I'm going to have to wait till they patch Windows 10 or Terraria or both to fix some of these issues.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    ResIpsaLoquiturResIpsaLoquitur Not a grammar nazi, just alt-write. Registered User regular
    I'm having a tough time in expert mode. I also made the mistake of trying expert on a large level. After breezing through normal non-hardmode on a small map, I went for something different but perhaps it's TOO different. I have all my early-hardmode gear from my first map, and Skeletron just wrecked me. I may just pack up what I can and start fresh on a normal medium, and enjoy building for a while.

League of Legends: MichaelDominick; Blizzard(NA): MichaelD#11402; Steam ID: MichaelDominick
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    My brother got Windows 10 and it's not playing well with Terraria. Playing with two monitors either outright crashes it or has deleterious effects, exiting crashes it, all of the game worlds' text in the select screen is red, and they will not save and exit from games (I read this was a read-only problem with some of the files and I checked, but they're not read only) and trying to alt-tab out of the game when it's running crashes it and apparently the drivers? Makes the screen go blank with no way to fix it. And one time when I tried quitting normally after playing it it crashed and made my whole screen grey, with no icons or anything. The taskbar and steam and everything still worked, just no desktop icons or anything.

So I guess I'm going to have to wait till they patch Windows 10 or Terraria or both to fix some of these issues.

I'm kinda planning on just playing XBox games for a couple weeks after Win10 drops, and then see what's been patched.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular

I've not had any issues with the full 10 release. Had some hiccups during testing.

Make sure video drivers are up to date and that neither the character or the world are being saved to the cloud. That makes it shit the bed something fierce

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited July 2015

Obviously it depends on your setup, but I was playing Terraria on 10 with multiple monitors yesterday. One full screen Terraria, the other full screen Chrome. The upgrade moved my settings and character/world data to a different folder, but other than it's worked without a hitch.
    I'm having a tough time in expert mode. I also made the mistake of trying expert on a large level. After breezing through normal non-hardmode on a small map, I went for something different but perhaps it's TOO different. I have all my early-hardmode gear from my first map, and Skeletron just wrecked me. I may just pack up what I can and start fresh on a normal medium, and enjoy building for a while.

Skeletron is a brick wall in Expert mode, but I finally broke through it with just pre-Hardmode gear. It's a real one-hit and you're done situation with the spinning head, and I'm not sure I'd call it fun, but it's possible if you get a good arena setup and throw every buff potion you've got on. Mobility and damage output is huge in that fight.

I've slowed down my progression since then, getting things set for Hardmode. Working on a huge underground base with a greenhouse and a demon altar room, but haven't properly figured out the rest of my setup yet. Did enough fishing to finally get all the pieces necessary for a cellphone, which took forever, but I've got nearly two hundred crates to pop open as soon as I go after the Wall of Flesh. Only things I really want to grab before that fight are a bezoar and a lava charm since I'd rather not venture into the again jungle at that point.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options

I've not had any issues with the full 10 release. Had some hiccups during testing.

Make sure video drivers are up to date and that neither the character or the world are being saved to the cloud. That makes it shit the bed something fierce

No cloud saves? Um.. that is bad... I get that some don't like those, but I'm all about the steam cloud now. Sad a new OS breaks things, I mean it isn't like M$ every bro.....k....e... things.. ere.. NM... nothing to see here...

• Options
    I think the cloud save issues are a consequence of the 1.3 update rather than Windows 10. I know I kept crashing with it enabled on Windows 7.

• Options
    I think the cloud save issues are a consequence of the 1.3 update rather than Windows 10. I know I kept crashing with it enabled on Windows 7.

Yeah, I had the same thing happen too when I started cloud saves. I ended up stopping after a bunch of hard work in building my base completely disappeared when it crash on save/quit, saving the saving the world when I still had all the building blocks in my inventory to be placed, but my character right after placing them all.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    running win10 also and haven't had any issues.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Huh, apparently Terraria has physical toys now.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    So, chickened out on Expert Fishron, ended up killing him in a normal world first for Razorblade Typhoon, then going back to the expert world to kill him with my new spell.

Anyway, starting the Lunar Event/Moon Lord stuff. I figured I'd save Pumpkin/Frost Moon for after I get a full set of final tier armor, otherwise I will never generate the initiative to do so (mainly because I get bored super fast when I'm looting solely for the sake of loot, which is what farming Moon Lord would be for me if I didn't have anything left to use that sweet sweet gear on.)

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ok, well I wonder if the crashing is from old worlds not being 1.3 than. I have been using cloud save for a while, and never had issues. As much as I think it is annoying, I understand old worlds not working with new updates.

• Options
    Everybody saying Expert Wall of Flesh is a complete pushover were absolutely right. Really expected that to go badly, but my HP never even dropped below 350. I mean, I definitely over prepared to the point of absurdity, but I had a much harder time with even the Queen Bee.

Time to open 100+ crates now that hardmode has started!