As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Anyone that can recommend a truely huge messenger bag?

Evil_MuffinEvil_Muffin Registered User regular
After ordering two bags on Amazon only to find they were dishonest about the dimensions, I thought I would come here. I want a messenger bag large enough to hold my obnoxiously large gaming laptop and a few accessories. I tried to order this one, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00383USBC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00 only to later see the review that they lied about the size, when I went to leave my own posting it. If the dimenisions were honest, it would be perfect. Any advice or recommendations would be awesome.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    There's a kickstarter that I'm not going to link because of the forum rules for a messenger bag that you might be interested in. If you search on kickstarter for "messenger bag" it shows up first. The company doing it seems to be pretty awesome, I've backed every one of their previous things and have been more than pleased with their quality of work.

Though, I'm not sure if it will be quite big enough for you as their stated specs says:

Specs:
    - Capacity: 20.5L max, 13.5L min
    - Size: 17 in (45cm) x 11 in (29cm) x 5 in (14cm) (the bag can expand and contract greatly - the specs represent an average load)
    - Weight: 3.5 oz (1100g) [empty]
    - Strap Length: Adjustable from 31 in (78cm) to 56 in (142cm)

Which is slightly smaller than the stated specs from the one you linked, but who knows with that stuff.

Otherwise, you just need to take your laptop and things out shopping with you and ask to be allowed to try cramming it all in each bag the store has. I say ask for permission because that'll look slightly suspicious :eh:

• Options
    MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Honestly, I think you'd be better off with a backpack.
    Here's the thing.

I have a really large messenger bag, it's called the Bag of Holding, from Think Geek.
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/aaa5/

I really, really like it. Plus, it's nerdy, so you've got that part covered. It has 3 compartments, and can hold a 17 inch laptop.

The problem is. It has SO much capacity, once you stuff it full of stuff, it becomes very, very heavy. Unfortunately, it's false advertising. This bag of holding does NOT utilise a pocket dimension to distribute weight.

Now, imagine lugging several kilos (or pounds) of weight for your obnoxiously large gaming laptop and accessories, and then hefting it onto a single shoulder. I don't know if you want it for study, or to just attend LAN parties, but the amount of hefting and walking you do with it is going to add up.

I have back difficulties. I've experienced what doing that feels like, it sucks. Messenger bags look cool but their weight distribution is awful. Now I carry heavy stuff like my own large laptop in a camping backpack that distributes weight throughout my back, and not localised onto my shoulder.

You may be interested in Think Geeks Backpack of Holding: http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/1e69/
    Here are the specs:

Main compartment: 17 1/2" tall x 11" wide x 5" deep
    Padded tablet sleeve with hook and loop closure (inside main compartment): 12" tall x 10 1/2" wide x 1" deep (if you choose not to use the closure, this compartment could hold an object up to 17" tall in standard backpack formation or 23" tall with top of bag unfolded)
    Four pockets (inside main compartment) to hold pens, phone, lipbalm, etc. (no closure, for use only when top of bag is unfolded)
    1 zippered front compartment: 9" wide x 6 1/2" tall x 1 1/2" deep
    2 zippered side pockets: 4 1/2" wide x 7 3/4" high x 1 1/2" deep
    Reinforced bottom

Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    What are the dimensions of the laptop you're looking to carry?

In general, you're going to have a hard time finding anything that will fit something larger than 17 inches. And I'd echo the idea of a backpack. Take it from personal experience - anything that large and heavy will be a huge PITA to carry via messenger bag. I've had this Case Logic backpack (https://www.amazon.com/Case-Logic-RBP-117-17-3-Inch-Backpack/dp/B0055YB5IC/ref=sr_1_10?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1437899665&sr=1-10) for several years. It has survived two different 17" gaming laptops, a bunch of smaller work laptops, ~2 years of daily commute, and a ton of travel (it's perfect for airport security). It works just as well now as the day I got it, and it has tons of little pockets and sections for the random stuff you'll want to organize.

If you actually need something larger than this, I'd recommend looking into travel bags from a place like REI.

• Options
    The laptops I alternate between carrying are my Aorus x7 V2, which is 16.85" x 12.01" x 0.9",my Lenovo Y70 which is 16.61 x 1.02 x 11.44, or my Asus G75 thats 16.4" x 12.5" x 0.9"-1.7". The Lenovo is the hardest one to fit in a bag because of the sides I think. While I can just barely cram it into the military bag I linked above, Its literally so close that the bag cant flex at all and putting anything else at all in it puts pressure on the sides of the laptop from the bag. As for a back pack, I actually have a good one for when I want to use a back pack, My aorus came with their super gaming back pack, but I really need to be able to carry a messenger bag at times, even if it is ungodly heavy. Thank you so much for the suggestions so far.

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Timbuk2 bags will definitely fit that if you pick the right size

I actually have 3 of their bags, one I inherited from my brother, one I bought, and one I recieved as swag (damn nice swag!). They are water proof and I imagine they are practically bullet proof. Two of them are over 12 years old and are just still as much tanks as they were when I got them even after living through being my daily bag during art school (Painting, welding, sculpture, blades of various sizes, other sharp metals, mysterious chemicals spilled all over them).

I dont really use em that much anymore - I prefer something a little more classic leather but they are still amazing bags that I highly recommend.

*edit
    It says on their website that the classic messenger in L can fit up to 19.7w 12.6h so thats right on target for your giant machine

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I like leather, and got a fossle messenger bag at the outlet mall it can hold 3 thinkpads with a tight fit? And 2 easily.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Timbuk2 bags will definitely fit that if you pick the right size

I actually have 3 of their bags, one I inherited from my brother, one I bought, and one I recieved as swag (damn nice swag!). They are water proof and I imagine they are practically bullet proof. Two of them are over 12 years old and are just still as much tanks as they were when I got them even after living through being my daily bag during art school (Painting, welding, sculpture, blades of various sizes, other sharp metals, mysterious chemicals spilled all over them).

I dont really use em that much anymore - I prefer something a little more classic leather but they are still amazing bags that I highly recommend.

*edit
    It says on their website that the classic messenger in L can fit up to 19.7w 12.6h so thats right on target for your giant machine

Yeah I was going to say Timbuk2 or similar brands, if you absolutely must have a messenger bag. Seriously, it sounds weird if you have never been, but go to a store like REI or AnyMountain, and they will invariably have a section with messenger bags and the like that you can check out. Since you've been having sizing issues, you can even bring in your stuff and test out whether or not everything fits.

• Options
    I will have to find one of those retailers near me, I have tried all the local spots in my town and brought the Lenovo with, never have any that fit it, but I can head up to Charlotte and try.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Also, I am on the timb2uk site now, which bag do you see that would fit the 16.5 inch length? The ones I am pulling up all stop at 15 or 16.

Nevermind, just found it, their dashboard bag looks like its just barely big enough.

Evil_Muffin on
  • Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    The big messenger bag companies are....

Bailey Works
    Chrome
    Courierware
    Timbuk2

I have owned 5 messenger bags from 3 of the above (my preferences have changed a lot over the years), and my current one is the Bailey Works. Mainly because they are based just an hour away, so I could walk in, ask for customizations (like an exterior water bottle pocket), and walk out with my perfect bag in about an hour.

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Also, I am on the timb2uk site now, which bag do you see that would fit the 16.5 inch length? The ones I am pulling up all stop at 15 or 16.

Nevermind, just found it, their dashboard bag looks like its just barely big enough.

If you go to customize, then 'Classic Messenger' you can then choose between four different sizes

• Options

If you go to customize, then 'Classic Messenger' you can then choose between four different sizes

The problem with that one is that the bottom width is only 15, so I assume the laptop wont fit. Unless I am misunderstanding.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2015
    I had a timbuk2 with a 17 inch laptop. It wont fit in the padded pocket for laptops, but it fit fine in the main compartment. Ive had the bag for nearly 8 years (kinda hurts to realize its been that long) and I still use it for regular travel.

I can figure out which specific size I have if you want. With a laptop your size I suggest getting a fitted padded sleeve and just finding a bag with a big enough pocket.

Actually its still buried in my amazon purchases. This is my exact bag: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002V92YWK?ie=UTF8&force-full-site=1&ref_=navm_ftr_fullsite

It fit a dell xps m1710 which is a hulking monster of a laptop, but not in the padded sleeve, I would use the other part for the rest of my stuff. I would just shove it in there and go, but if you want padding get something form fitting to your laptop, way easier.

Iruka on
  • Options
    Iruka wrote: »
    I had a timbuk2 with a 17 inch laptop. It wont fit in the padded pocket for laptops, but it fit fine in the main compartment. Ive had the bag for nearly 8 years (kinda hurts to realize its been that long) and I still use it for regular travel.

I can figure out which specific size I have if you want. With a laptop your size I suggest getting a fitted padded sleeve and just finding a bag with a big enough pocket.

That is pretty much my goal, my issue is finding that big enough pocket.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    yea i fit a 17 inch laptop in a padded sleeve in a medium timbuktu main pocket. the L and XL and monsters.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    Dimensions of the Bailey Works Super Pro Messenger Bag in L, XL & XXL:
    ProductIllustration_SuperPro_Large.gifProductIllustration_SuperPro_XLarge.gifProductIllustration_SuperPro_XXLarge.gif
    http://baileyworks.com/professional/super-pro/options/

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I was going to suggest the portal messenger bag on Thinkgeek, as it fits my 17" Lenovo perfectly (and is the only bag I could find that fit it)... but mine has smaller dimensions than yours.

I highly recommend Timbuk2 if you can find a bag that fits, I have 2 custom bags and they are fantastic.

• Options
    Thank you all so much!

• Options
    I had to go to Best Buy earlier today and noticed that they have a pretty large section dedicated to stuff like laptop bags and the like. You might want to check a store like that if you have one in the area, too.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    The ThinkGeek Bag of Holding is massive and very durable.