As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Speedrunning through the [Trans Thread] in less than twelve parsecs

ameybesameybes vvvvMERBERNRegistered User regular
edited December 2015 in Social Entropy++
Welcome, ladies, gents and others, to the latest installment of TRANS THREAD.

So, this is my first thread starty thing on Penny Arcade...test me out, whacha got?

What is a trans?
Oh. Oh...cool. Umm....maybe start here? - http://transwhat.org/confused/

The intended theme of this thread is pretty much anything to do with gender identity and how people deal with it.

Who is this thread for?
Well, its in the Singularity Engine, so anyone really BUT:

- The people this thread is intended for is anyone who has a gender or does not!
- But also this thread is hopefully a safe space for people dealing with gender identity issues slightly more than those who are cis binary and not questioning.

So yeah, anybody, but DBAD. We just call it Trans thread because its quick shorthand.

I'm seeing a lot of terms that I have no idea what they are. Help!

- Agender: People who have little or no gender identity; not identifying as male or female to any significant extent.
- AFAB & AMAB: Means `Assigned Female At Birth' and `Assigned Male At Birth'.
- Cat lumps: boobs.
- Deadname: Referring to a person who is going through, or has completed gender transition by the name associated with a false gender. Sort of extends to using the wrong pronouns.
- FTM & MTF: stands for Female-To-Male or Male-To-Female, much less common now than trans man & trans woman (particularly due to prevalence of non-binary trans)
- Genderqueer: People with a non-binary gender identity usually identify under this label to some extent.
- Intersex: People who have a physically non-binary sex. Kinda like trans in some way, with a whole bunch of unique challenges.
- LGBTQQIA: Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Questioning, Intersex, Asexual.
- Trans Man and Trans Woman: Men & women who formerly were identified by a different gender at birth to their actual gender identity.

I really just did this part to remind people of cat lumps. Cat lumps are out there.

I would quite like to talk about an issue but I don't think I know much about gender identity, and I'm not sure how to post without getting my head bitten off. How do I avoid that?
OK, there's no hard and fast way to achieve this, but here are some things that may be helpful to keep in mind.

- Try not to define other people with what you say. This includes trying to theorise things like `trans women do this' or `so trans men are really blah'. Everyone is different.

- Feel free to Google your question (if any) first. I know, PA forums people are pretty cool and you'd rather ask e-buddies, but if you can find your answer in the first ten Google results, you can be reasonably sure people in this thread have heard your question a lot. If you can't, its probably a good one.

- Don't `deadname' people who are going through, or have completed, gender transition. Its rude and triggering, its just...don't do it, OK?

- Avoid asking about people's `bits'. You know, hoo-has, or the meat and two veg. Its really not your business.

- Take the answer in before arguing against it. Sometimes this gender identity stuff has a slow burn and it takes skull sweat & time for enlightenment to occur.

Didn't the last trans thread get really awkward? I remember it feeling kind of awkward near the end there (or earlier even).
Yes, it did get kind of awkward, and we heard from a whole bunch of people who felt uncomfortable posting in the thread. That is really...not good.

I'm really hoping that this time around the people who spoke up in the last trans thread feel welcome to contribute and not be turned off by perceived groupthink. Sadly even (other) trans people get things wrong sometimes, and being excluded suuuucks

So just to put it out there: IF YOU ARE POSTING IN THIS THREAD, PLEASE PUT IN THE CONSCIOUS EFFORT TO BE ACCEPTING OF OTHERS PEOPLE'S EXPERIENCES.

And as always, the Report button is there for people who are not happy with what is going on - calling in a moderator isn't `dobbing', its good sense when things seem wrong.

Links!
The last Trans thread
The current LGBT thread

If you'd like me to add some good stuff to the OP, flick me a PM and I shall do so! Ta!

ameybes on

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Good as hell OP

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I'm going to try extra hard to be extra quiet in this thread, because I still mostly identify as a hetero cismale.

But I am here, I am listening, I am learning

and note well the mostly, because that wasn't there not so long ago

and I'm very thankful to everyone in these types of threads for that.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I thought Dubh was making the next thread. She OK?

I'm a worry-wart.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    ameybesameybes vvvv MERBERNRegistered User regular
    I did ask, and I believe she's all good!

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Another definition good to get out there - AFAB Assigned Female At Birth and AMAB - Assigned Male At Birth, which some prefer to FTM and MTF as AFAB and AMAB have an implication that for example, a trans man was never really female, it was just a societal label.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I too thought that, but I saw her on Twitter today, she's still kicking along.

• Options
    Tox wrote: »
    I'm going to try extra hard to be extra quiet in this thread, because I still mostly identify as a hetero cismale.

But I am here, I am listening, I am learning

and note well the mostly, because that wasn't there not so long ago

and I'm very thankful to everyone in these types of threads for that.

tox if you want to talk about your stuff, I'm an AMAB, masc presenting enby person! Shoot me a PM!

• Options
    FuzzytadpoleFuzzytadpole Registered User regular
    Hi thread, I really missed you.

• Options
    What does enby mean?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Non-Binary!

• Options
    Ohhh like N-B?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    AFAB female-presenting VERY genderqueer

It feels like genderqueer is a huge oversimplification of what's going on in there, but I don't have a better word so I'm going with that.

This is at least in part because if I flat-out TELL anyone "I'm trans" they say "oh, you used to be a man?"

No, no I didn't "used to be a man." That combined with the fact that I would lose AT LEAST one partner really confuses things in my head to a degree that I feel like I am not capable of saying male, and it's hard to have an honest conversation with myself when I feel that way about one of my primary options.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    hi i'm gonna be getting my estrogen very soon and i've been on spiro for 3 weeks now, i am very excited

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    FuzzytadpoleFuzzytadpole Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    So I am going on a week long family vacation soon, and I am kind of worried about it. My relatives are a bunch of little shits about anything Queer related and I am not looking foward to all the jokes about Caitlyn Jenner and Gay marriage that are bound to come up. I am a little scared I might respond in a way that would out me. It sucks because I was really looking foward to this, and now even if nothing happens my fear is going to prevent me from enjoying myself.

I don't even know if I am justified in feeling this way.

Fuzzytadpole on
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

I'm a worry-wart.

I turned Dubh into an anime dragon/demon girl.

• Options
    So I am going on a week long family vacation soon, and I am kind of worried about it. My relatives are a bunch of little shits about anything Queer related and I am not looking foward to all the jokes about Caitlyn Jenner and Gay marriage that are bound to come up. I am a little scared I might respond in a way that would out me. It sucks because I was really looking foward to this, and now even if nothing happens my fear is going to prevent me from enjoying myself.

I'm not sure why you wouldn't be justified feeling this way; i get worried about even going to see close friends who know. Being closeted is super difficult, especially when you know those around you aren't accepting. Holding out and avoiding those topics is probably your best bet, and if you do have to yell at someone about it, well, I hope it goes well.

Also, hugs!

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

I'd feel that way and I have nothing to be outed about, apart from not holding horrible opinions.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Yukira wrote: »

I'm a worry-wart.

Lucky.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Cat lumps!

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Hi Trans thread!

Need your help with a pronoun situation. I was at a local PetSmart the other day with my daughter and asked a question one of the associates who appeared to be female, but could have been queer or even male and admittedly I was making a lot of assumptions just based on the person's higher voice and smaller stature. As I walked away with my daughter I said, "She says we can find them over there." As I looked back the person gave me a (sad? angry?) look, and went off in the other direction and then I realized I might have misgendered the person.

What do Trans people think if some stranger misgenders them based on an assumption about their appearance? Should I just try to use gender neutral at all times? Should I have said, "The salesperson said we can find them over there."?

Am I overthinking it?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options

I'm a worry-wart.

Lucky.

She fell into the FF14 hole!

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Hi trans thread

I don't know what I am

But it has been an awful lot of fun playing around with different stuff, finding out

Bought some cute hair clips that I smile a lot anytime I see, and my next step over vacation is nail polish. I'm exciteeeddd~~~ :D

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Hi Trans thread!

Need your help with a pronoun situation. I was at a local PetSmart the other day with my daughter and asked a question one of the associates who appeared to be female, but could have been queer or even male and admittedly I was making a lot of assumptions just based on the person's higher voice and smaller stature. As I walked away with my daughter I said, "She says we can find them over there." As I looked back the person gave me a (sad? angry?) look, and went off in the other direction and then I realized I might have misgendered the person.

What do Trans people think if some stranger misgenders them based on an assumption about their appearance? Should I just try to use gender neutral at all times? Should I have said, "The salesperson said we can find them over there."?

Am I overthinking it?

IMO, I think staying gender neutral when you don't know a person's preferred pronoun is better, especially when talking to/around them. "They said we can find it over here" is grammatically correct and avoids any potentially awkward misgendering.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    Hi trans thread

I don't know what I am

But it has been an awful lot of fun playing around with different stuff, finding out

Bought some cute hair clips that I smile a lot anytime I see, and my next step over vacation is nail polish. I'm exciteeeddd~~~ :D

nail polish is so fun! enjoy it :3

• Options
    My problem with nail polish is I don't really want to wear it to work so I have to take it off every night.

• Options
    Yeah, my boss doesn't come in on a regular basis. If I knew exactly what days she came in, i would wear it a lot more.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    As a dude that doesn't wear nail polish but thinks makeup/nail polish is fun, I think the range of "work appropriate" colors for nail polish is weirdly limited

I'm not like, not allowed to wear an orange work shirt

that stuff is just weird to me

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    My problem with nail polish is I don't really want to wear it to work so I have to take it off every night.

Oh, god, I would be actively terrified to wear it to work, even if it were black as night

S'why im gunna wait till my vacation when I can hermit it up for an entire week and get the most vibrant pink or maybe blue (who am I kidding it will be so goddamn pink) I can find. Eeeee I can't wait!!!

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

Oh, god, I would be actively terrified to wear it to work, even if it were black as night

S'why im gunna wait till my vacation when I can hermit it up for an entire week and get the most vibrant pink or maybe blue (who am I kidding it will be so goddamn pink) I can find. Eeeee I can't wait!!!

n6rb9c-l-610x610-nail+polish-rainbow-glitter-sparkle.jpg

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Oh my god

Edit: oh my god

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    I want to paint myself in that

q: would I die

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    you might get sick

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I'm currently on a family holiday with my in-laws in Bangkok.

My FIL is a Pentecostal pastor, so needless to say some of the conversations and observations regarding folks here have been... a little frustrating.

• Options
    The answer is yes

But would it really be dying? Or would it be living????

The answer is it would be dying, because you would be dead.

• Options
    The answer is yes

But would it really be dying? Or would it be living????

The answer is it would be dying, because you would be dead.

but I would look great

it's a go

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Hi Trans thread!

Am I overthinking it?

IMO, I think staying gender neutral when you don't know a person's preferred pronoun is better, especially when talking to/around them. "They said we can find it over here" is grammatically correct and avoids any potentially awkward misgendering.

That's an easy solution! I knew I was overthinking it. Thanks.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular

Ive tried and be in for difficulties turns out its actually pretty hard! Worth it though

My ideal design is the phases of the moons on each finger with full moons on the thumbs I dunno how it would look but I love the moon so

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Ohhh like N-B?
    Not to be confused with Emby, the poster.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Ohhh like N-B?
    Not to be confused with Emby, the poster.

I'll be honest, I did get confused by that at first.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular

I'm a worry-wart.

It's true, I saw her do it!

In fun news, I've scheduled my first appointment with a laser hair removal place. Also my first visit with an endocrinologist is in a couple weeks (FINALLY!).

It's happening!

This discussion has been closed.