As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wet Hot American [TV] Thread

19495969798100»

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    BillyIdle wrote: »
    I'm not an expert on copyright law, but couldn't they use really old movies that are public domain to cut the costs?

I'm not an expert either, but I don't think there are films in the public domain

Maybe some silent films

You have to be pretty old to fall out of copyright at this point

• Options
    411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    I don't care about Kickstarter tiers and the likelihood of it being an impossible dream, I want to see this happen. When I saw this announcement I literally squealed at work.

Besides, if it succeeds, I also could get a coffee mug. That's not bad.

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    rhylith wrote: »
    You are not paying 35 dollars for an episode.

You are paying 35 dollars because you want to see this project happen, and in return you get an episode.

Kickstarter is not a preorder it's about helping people make something you'll enjoy that wouldn't otherwise be produced yadda yadda yadda I say this every time someone bitches about reward tiers not being to their liking.

Yeah, but the reward tiers are there to incentivize you. A great many people will back projects if there's a cool incentive, but not if there isn't. A huge fan of MST3K might be okay paying $35 just to see the project done and to get one episode. But somebody who is on the fence is not going to throw down $35 if the only reward is a single episode of the thing.

If they're going to get funded they need people who are on the fence about the thing to help fund it, not just super fans who are willing to throw down money with basically no incentive.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Isn't Rifftrax basically this though? I guess I don't get what would be gained by bringing it back

but then I was never the biggest mst3k fan

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Rifftrax isn't on the Satellite of Love.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    Straightzi wrote: »
    scherbchen wrote: »
    my mom is unable to pull a "we didn't have fun growing up, that's a new thing" card on me because, as she has told me, she saw star wars in theaters like, seven times

To be honest no one after the Great Depression can pull that.

dunno there. my dad was 8 in bombed-out Berlin when the war ended.

I meant specifically in the U.S.

You also probably meant specifically white then too.

Just like a heads up that you might want to check your privilege there.

I grew up poor.

In a city with 5 times the national violent crime rate, 3 times the national property crime rate, and riddled with poverty.

And neither I nor my parents grew up completely devoid of fun.

So maybe you should read what I was actually replying to instead of jumping straight to throwing out privilege checks, because I didn't say anything about everyone growing up without food security issues, systemic racism etc. I specifically replied to a comment about parents telling their children that their own childhood was one completely devoid of fun and consisting of two parts misery and one part getting kicked in the crotch.
    scherbchen wrote: »
    my mom is unable to pull a "we didn't have fun growing up, that's a new thing" card on me because, as she has told me, she saw star wars in theaters like, seven times

dunno there. my dad was 8 in bombed-out Berlin when the war ended.

I meant specifically in the U.S.

You also probably meant specifically white then too.

Just like a heads up that you might want to check your privilege there.

There's a lot of white immigrants also post Depression.

Yeah, sorry, I should have phrased that better, I was being glib.

Let me be clearer:

Bullshit.

But by no means should you take a second to think about what is actually being said before you jump on your high horse to right the wrongs of the internet.

Yeah, and I think that's anecdotal.

I wasn't trying to be a dick here, bro, I was just saying that the Great Depression is not the only source of misery in our national history. Especially when we bring into account marginalized peoples and the modern immigrant experience and so on and so forth. There's a lot of differing lives that neither you nor I have experienced, and I'm willing to bet that one of them fits into that criteria.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Rifftrax doesn't have any filmed segments or characters

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    BillyIdle wrote: »
    I'm not an expert on copyright law, but couldn't they use really old movies that are public domain to cut the costs?

In short, yes. In long, it's not particularly viable. For books, which the rules are the same I'm fairly certain, 100% PD is is anything prior to 1923. The issue thus with films is that there's both little there and a lot of it* is lost.

We list any books between 23 and 64 as likely PD pending copyright research (renewal in 27th, 28th, 29th year after original pub), but the movie industry is a bit more concentrated and I'm sure on the ball about renewing their CRs. Publishers on the other hand come and go every year.

Qanamil on
  • Options
    DeliciousTacosDeliciousTacos Registered User regular
    I wonder if there's ever existed any kind of hit/scheme/dirty business that's gone according to plan in the Fargo universe

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Are the Rifftrax guys involved in this at all?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015

You are paying 35 dollars because you want to see this project happen, and in return you get an episode.

Kickstarter is not a preorder it's about helping people make something you'll enjoy that wouldn't otherwise be produced yadda yadda yadda I say this every time someone bitches about reward tiers not being to their liking.

This is a fair point.

But I also think MST3K is probably something that would have an easier time hitting those funding marks via other avenues than kickstarter, and I'm curious if this is another case akin to higher profile game developers using kickstarter to pay for part of a game's budget (and then an outside party is actually footing a most of the bill).
    Balefuego wrote: »

Joel at least, and some new cast members. I'm not sure who is going to be voicing Crow and Servo, I didn't watch the video but I'm not seeing any names being offered in the text...

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I'd be willing to bet with the numbers involved that this is a self produced thing. They're asking nearly 700 grand an episode.

They also made the classic Kickstarter mistake of "this tier includes all previous tier physical rewards" which is no doubt inflating the cost of other tiers. The 100 dollar every episode reward includes a mug, tshirt, and keychain. I can't help but wonder if they did a "full season digital only" tier at 50-60 bucks if they'd see less complaints.

• Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

This is a fair point.

But I also think MST3K is probably something that would have an easier time hitting those funding marks via other avenues than kickstarter, and I'm curious if this is another case akin to higher profile game developers using kickstarter to pay for part of a game's budget (and then an outside party is actually footing a most of the bill).
    Balefuego wrote: »

Joel at least, and some new cast members. I'm not sure who is going to be voicing Crow and Servo, I didn't watch the video but I'm not seeing any names being offered in the text...

Joel is not a Rifftrax guy, and the fact that he says the "original cast" will be back for "mad science" cameos implies a lack of Mike, Kevin, and Bill.
    That's probably reading too much into one quote, but there it is.

mkc.png
This discussion has been closed.