As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NSFW] Sublimus' Sketch Dumps

• SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    @Lamp Thanks!! I'm actually planning on hiking the Cascades next summer for my birthday!! Super excited, I love the pacific north west. :D:D

Here are my recent ramblings. Feeling lazy.

Here are some brush/texture explorations
    doodle_52.png
    doodle_53.png

And other random drawings

doodle_55.png

doodle_56.png

doodle_58.png

doodle_59.png

doodle_60.png

doodle_61.png

doodle_62.png

doodle_63.png

Still trying to learn painting. In order it was top right, top left, bottom right.

SP_03.png

And some crap ink stuff. Much to learn here.

Inktober01.png

Inktober02.png

Thanks for looking! Now back to hermiting.

• LampLamp Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I love seeing that traditional stuff. Makes me want to pick up some paint (sorta haha). Cool creature heads, too!

I noticed that you haven't posted much finished stuff in here, mostly sketches and studies for a while. Like for example, you did that winged woman with the swirling magic around her a couple of months ago, with four different color gradings. The values were starting to look pretty nice. Would love to see that polished up into something more finished!

Lamp on
    @Lamp Thanks for the kick in the ass. :D

Not super keen on my work currently. Here is the latest.

doodle_57.png

doodle_59_2.png

doodle_64.png

doodle_65.png

doodle_67.png

doodle_69.png

doodle_70.png

doodle_73.png

doodle_74.png

doodle_76.png

Here is a tattoo for a friend. (They're holding one of those paper lanterns.)
    MT_Tatt.png

Two shitty ink wash attempts lol.
    Inktober03.png

Inktober04.png

Picked up a ream of computer paper and a shitty ballpoint pen. This was the first sketch. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    SB_003.png

And an update on the angel. Still working on this, I swear!
    MC_White_Angel4.png

Hey folks! Been a while. Here are a few scribbles since the turn of the calendar. I'm going to try and make more frequent, smaller updates form here on out. :D

doodle_001.png

doodle_002.png

doodle_003.png

doodle_004.png

doodle_005.png

doodle_006.png

doodle_007.png

doodle_007.5.png

doodle_008.png

doodle_010.png

doodle_011.jpg

doodle_011.png

Thanks for looking! :D

Actually, I guess I should add this too. This is something I'm hoping to finish (just in time to submit to spectum).

LeoninSpearmen4.png

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    I like that little church study a lot! It stands out as the flat planes are a nice change from your normal brushwork. Makes it seem a bit more confidently put down and gives your eyes a place to "rest" as people say.

@Iruka Thanks! I should do more. Felt I learned some good color bits in that one. :)

Here is today's doodles.

doodle_012.png

doodle_013.png

Progress over lunch. I think I want to give him a few outfits once the base anatomy is done.

doodle_014.png

A few more lunch sketches. I also attempted some out of my comfort zone things that didn't turn out so well. Such is life! I'll keep trying.

doodle_015.png

doodle_018.png

I think you would probably benefit from forcing yourself to do more full figures more often. You tend to do busts, and then when you do draw the whole figure, work from top to bottom. You're only going to get more used to tackling the full figure if you force yourself to get into it. You had started to in the first page of your thread, dont slow down on it.

I hope you keep working on the lion guy too, pushing yourself to finish things is the same. Personally I think of studies and still life drawings as a way to remind myself of how truly far something can be taken. Sometimes its easy to leave a work at 10 hours when it should really be 30hours, and its going to be hard to know that until you really set your mind to it.

@Iruka I totally agree! I'm trying to do more full figure stuff for sure. I'm a sucker for faces, but you can get across as much character in a pose as you can in a face, so it's super worthwhile. I'll do some gestures or something soon!

As for finished work, I totally agree that making finished work is important. It's a whole different muscle to flex. Right now I'm sort of exploring what "finished work" means to me. Because I hate spending a long time on stuff. It just becomes boring too fast, and I want to draw something else. SO I think I need to cultivate a looser style, or something that enables me to wrap stuff up in a session or two.

Anywho, here is an update on this dude.

TAP_BeastMaster04.png

Got through editing some recent photos!

I don't think they're amazing, but as always I learned a lot.

photo_001.jpg

photo_002.jpg

photo_003.jpg

photo_004.jpg

photo_005.jpg

photo_006.jpg

photo_007.jpg

photo_008.jpg

photo_009.jpg

photo_010.jpg

photo_011.jpg

And also a sketch for that meet the artist thing going around. I don't really like drawing myself... feels vain.

doodle_019.png

And an update on the beast master dude. Want to finish this.

TAP_BeastMaster06.png

• MightyhogMightyhog Registered User regular
    Love the panoramic photos, and the self portrait is appealing... for some reason the light hatching does it for me. I wonder though if the feet might be placed a bit differently, as the ground plane seems almost diagonal the way they are, now.

It seems different than other recent sketches, are you shaking up your workflow? Maybe it's just the flat gray fill that I'm noticing.

@Mightyhog Thanks! I really like hatching, but wasn't sure if I should or not on this one. So I just did a bit around the head. I think the think I did this time that might be a bit different is I did a second layer for clean lines. Usually I just sort of do one layer and keep it all sketchy. Kind of like a pencil sketch.

I guess the feet are a little crooked? I dunno, seems alright to me? I could be wrong though, haha!

And since I'm here. Here's a quick lunch sketch from today. Just trying to get back into it. Feeling rusty.

doodle_020.png

Gave him a body.

Learning that "finishing" things requires a transition to a phase where you take what you have, and just work on the presentation.

I feel like I've always skipped this phase, so I'm trying to learn to switch to it.

So I can finally have some finished work lol

Monk01.png

Nice dude. I'm doing the same thing with trying some realism right now. I often skip into stylizing things, so I'm trying to go back to seeing whats mostly there for a bit, but its hard to fight your art urges sometimes.

I quite like like this guy.

For your self portrait, Finding a center of gravity will help with feet placement. For tips on it, look for animation tutorials, because animators probably have to keep the best track of it:
    http://www.animatorisland.com/principles-of-animation-physics-part-4/

3u65850aeyvb.jpg
    Your feet seem to not quite be on a ground plane, and then they kinda tilt back a bit. You could solve this in multiple ways, but the principal of it should help you place feet in poses. Drawing a line for the center of gravity should help you see if the weight is distributed just a bit oddly.

Thanks @Iruka ! Yeah I skip legs so much I often can't see when they look a little off :( Trying to draw them more, I promise.

Here is the latest on this dude. Something about the hand holding the club seems off. Missing wrist of something. Probably going to try and keep going on this a little bit.

TAP_BeastMaster09.png

Took a step back on this guy. Glad I did.

TAP_BeastMaster2.png

Fat dude.

Fat_Goblin.png

Trying to find "my work". Feels like I'm getting closer.

Nice dude! The new shapes for that headdress are fun. Its amazing what a couple iterations can do.

I like the fat dude as well! There's something a little more confident about the rendering that's starting to happen.

@Iruka Thanks! Now to clean them up a bit, and maybe take one to final! As for rendering, something kind of clicked when I was working on it. Things sort of feel like they're coming together for me.

Here is a thing I'm messing with

StoneGolem1.png

Some weapons. Need to clean them up a it more but I don't want to work on them any more right now haha.

HellGoblinTank_Weapon.png

Thats a nice start! I kinda wish the handle shapes were as fun as the blades. I'm excited to see you push the rendering on those, though!

@Iruka Thanks! I was trying to make the handles cool! I guess I just know less about handles haha. Or it's easier for blades because you can kind of do whatever? I dunno haha. As for rendering, we'll see how much further I can go! Kind of hit a wall, but they need to at least look "finished" by next wednesday. (heading to schoolism)

So in the spirit of trying to cobble together a presentable portfolio,,, here I'm re-hashing some old thumbs for a cheeky cheeky portfolio piece....

DarkFantasy_Merc1.png

Modest progress on this dude. Drawing on top of an enlarged thumb is a little weird. Tried to do a loose sketch on top first, but I don't think that fixed all the problems.

DarkFantasy_Merc2.png

edited February 2017
    Messing with occult/pagan logos for personal branding. Trying to work in WSMII (initials plus roman numeral 2). Any favorites??

doodle_026.png

And some other junk from last week.

doodle_024.png

doodle_027.png

Sublimus on
    For the weapons, some sharper highlights would help. Pull out some of your harder edged brushes and see how sharpening up the edges will help
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/421508846345810788/

I like the bottom three rows of your icon, particularly the middle ones in f and g. I'm sorta into the ones that are more legible, but could lean either way.

@Iruka Thanks! Yeah I need to put some touch up on those weapons, thanks for the advice! And yeah those bottom middle ones seem to have some heat. I'm excited to flesh these out a little more!

I don't have art to share yet, but I hope to when I get back from Seattle!!

No painting yet, but I'm going through my Seattle photos.

Buildings!
    photo_012.jpg

Boring shot glass! But look! Depth of Field!

photo_013.jpg

Last two photos from Seattle! Excited to get back to drawing!

photo_014.jpg

photo_015.jpg

edited March 2017
    Some heads and helmets. Not super keen on them, I think I'll have to do another round.

BV_HellTroll.png

And this is where my logo is heading. Still messing with the line weight and probably the angles of the star. But I think I'm getting close.

Logo_01.jpg

Sublimus on
    Trying to learn composition and color at the same time....... Oh well, at least I really like #5. I think I'm going to try and keep doing these as practice. I'm doing this one because I want to make a finished illustration, but in the future I want to do them just for the practice.

doodle_031.png

5 is nice! 6 has an interesting color scheme, too.

environments are hard for me to nail still, turns out I have a lot of trouble thinking of shit to put in them.

Thanks! I really like 5 too! A coworker pointed out the values don't work yet. Need to lighten the sky, I think.

Environments are hard for me too! I like them though.

Here is a lunch sketch!

doodle_032.png

Added the sunset at the end, and I don't think it's fully working yet. But it was fun!

• MightyhogMightyhog Registered User regular
    I wish my old composition sketches looked half as good as yours, ha. I wouldn't have noticed the lack of value range in number 5 if you hadn't mentioned it!

5 is definitely interesting... something to do with angles playing against each other, rather than a focus just at the vanishing point? It feels like smart design. I'd love to see more!

edited March 2017
    @mightyspacepope Thank you! I'm going to try and take that one to final! Might mess with adding in some photo or 3D... We'll see!

Here is my first ham-handed attempt at lighting. I hate selfies. I think I can move the rim light to a more interesting spot. Maybe add a second one? Or move it behind me? Dunno. We'll see!

photo_016.jpg

Sublimus on
    You could probably get that rim light to be just a bit stronger. It looks like it's perhaps down low, but it'd be nice if it were helping your chin separate from your neck a bit more by defining that edge.

• ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    Is that as bright as those lights go? Also, second on what @iruka said about it being a bit low. I would keep the two lights almost even in this case and the one on your right (camera left) maybe further behind you.