As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

LP: Beyond Earth! Update #4 New Carthage, Old Ruins

124»

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Well, I'm sad that this is ending since It seems like it would be fun, but I do look forward to whatever you do next. I will say that personally, I hope you go with Beyond Earth again since I think it's a cool game and I like the lore and feeling of it. But Civ5 would probably be easier in a number of ways for people to approach and probably for you too, so I can understand if you go with Civ5 if/when you decide to start up another LP, and of course Civ5 is a really good game that I like a lot too, and I'm really looking forward to it either way.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    I'll just imagine my happy ending of giant gundam wing cats stomping out all the space beetles.

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    I should go find my 'laptop' and do a similar game of Alpha Centauri, but with the players controlling different factions.

• Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Tell us who you imagine playing which factions.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Okay, I should of asked before I did that.

Show of hands, who wants to continue this silly adventure?

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    I'm sadly a bit lost, which is kinda...hindering my activity. That and I'm sick.

ITT this is just an issue on my end but when there is an info dump post (like trees for various paths and stuff) . I need a bit of time to process it.

• Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    I would love for it to continue, personally.

Although I am going on vacation shortly, so I won't be around much next week.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    Yeah okay give me a day an I'll see if I can get back on track.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Turn 26, 2626 AD.

So, with some knowledge of what the future held, I was able to save our brave solider unit from certain death. Other than that, a second explorer is built and scouts out the the south, again finding the sight where the city of Mostly Harmless will be built.

Other than that, there's not much lore to go over because we've been there, done that.

This is our brave little colony:

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside|1024:640&composite-to=*,*|1024:640&background-color=black.jpg

This is our tech web progress:

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside|1024:640&composite-to=*,*|1024:640&background-color=black.jpg

For votes (bold), I'd like:

What tech should we prioritize out of these low level ones (we'll probably grab all, this is to determine order):
    Physics: Can build Observatory (+2 science), Launch complex (+3 orbital coverage), Ranger (ranged combat unit)
    Genetics: Pharmalab (+2 health) and Cytonursery (+1 health, +1 science)
    Engineering: Thorium Reactor (+3 energy) Repair Faculty (+10% production towards land units) Combat Rover (fast melee unit)
    Chemistry: Recycler: (+2 production) Laboratory (+2 science), can improve oil tiles and gain the oil strategic resource)

And these higher level ones (this will likely be for the one we grab before next update):
    Defense Grid
    Ballistics
    Genetic Mapping

Now, fair colonist, you may say "why only those three?" Because, those three each unlock a wonder. I a wonder is a special, one of a kind building.

-Markov Eclipse (Defense Grid): Units fight at full strength even when inured
    -Stellar Codex (Ballistics): +8 orbital coverage (aka more space for satellites over our territory)
    -Gene Vault (genetic mapping): All new cities start with a worker

We have gained the following Virtues: Frugality, Foresight, Social Mores

What should be our focus going forward:
    -Focus on the Knowledge tree
    -Focus on the Prosperity Tree
    -Give both equal attention

I'll note that the Prosperity tree has a few one time bonuses (free worker, free colonist) that are nice in the early game.

Abydos has built a Trade Depot, allowing over land trade. This is currently dangerous though, due to hordes of wolfbeetles.

What should be our next production target (this will also most likely determine order rather than anything else):
    -A colonist for a second city
    -A Ultrasonic fence (provides protection against aliens)
    -A vivarium (+2 food)

Edit: Building Upgrade Votes
    Vivarium: +1 Science OR +1 Food
    Trade Depot: +1 Production OR +1 Energy
    Observatory: +2 City Strength OR +2 Naval Unit Movement (Global)
    Laboratory: Explorer Units gain 1 additionalExpedition Module (Global) OR +1 Science
    Launch Complex: +1 Orbital Coverage OR +10% Production for Orbital Units
    Thorium Reactor: +2 Energy OR +1 Production
    Repair Facility: +1 Orbital Coverage OR +5% Production for Military Units
    Recycler: +10% Worker speed (Global) OR +1 Food

And now, a quick wtf is...

Melee versus Ranged Units?
    Melee units attack units in adjacent tiles. They will move onto the tile of the unit they are attacking, thus the defending unit gets to choose the place of battle. Both units take damage when a melee unit attacks. Attacking units in hills or across rivers tends to be a bad bet, so building defense lines along these is always a good idea.

Ranged units attack at range. Okay, that's obvious and tells you nothing. A ranged unit can attack any unit with in its range that it has line of sight on. When it attacks, it bombards the unit from afar, dealing damage but taking none itself. Even if the unit is in an adjacent tile. Hills and mountains can block all but late game ranged units attack, and they are very weak towards melee units.

If a melee unit attacks a ranged unit, melee combat is initiated.

If a ranged unit attacks another ranged unit, the defending ranged unit still cannot defend.

Orbital Units/range?
    Orbital Units provide various bonuses to our colony. They can provide flat bonuses, make resources appear, and even provide orbital bombardment. Only Cities and missile rovers can shoot down satellites.

Orbital range is where we can place satellites in orbit. Typically only cites can act as launch sites (Supremacy gets a bonus that allows a specific resources to be used), and their range is determined by buildings with in the city.

Note that satellites that improve tiles are only useful in our territory, but military satellites can be used where ever they are launched.

A wonder?
    Wonders are hugely expensive, unique buildings. They come in two types, national and world.

World wonders can only be build once per game. Once a player has built a world wonder, all other players are locked out of building it. If Player 1 is building a wonder and Player 2 completes that exact wonder before Player 1, Player 1 loses the ability to finish the wonder and all those turns of production are lose as well.

National wonders can be build once per player. To balance them, they are usually not as powerful as world wonders.

many wonders use strategic resources.

Strategic Resources?
    Strategic resources are a currency of sorts. Once you build a tile improvement on a resource on with in your territory, you gain the use of that resource. Each resource tile has a set amount that can be extracted. You gain all of said resource once the tile improvement is complete, this is not a per turn thing.

Currently, we have access to the titanium resource. Our mines to the north of Abydos provide this in addition to the bonuses of the mine.

Certain units, buildings, and wonders require these to be built. Each unit and building that requires titanium has a resource cost. Say we wanted to build a unit that costs one 1 titanium. We'd be able to build 1 and still have 2 titanium left over. If we wanted to build a unit that costs 4, we currently could not.

Note that if we build units and buildings that cost a strategic resource and then lose control of said resource, we do not lose said units and buildings but said units will be less effective in combat.

I hope that explains everything you need to know. Questions are welcome and I will try to get back to you asap.

JusticeforPluto on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Ooops, sorry, didn't see the update till now. I like Physics, Ballistics, Give both equal attention, A Ultrasonic fence, and Repair Facility: +1 Orbital Coverage.

• Options
    Np I figured most didn't. Its the weekend anyway.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Yeah sorry for not getting in a vote, will have one up tomorrow.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    My choices are:
    What tech should we prioritize out of these low level ones:
    Physics: Can build Observatory (+2 science), Launch complex (+3 orbital coverage), Ranger (ranged combat unit)

And these higher level ones:
    Defense Grid - Markov Eclipse

Prosperity Tree - free colonist
    -Focus on the Knowledge tree

should be our next production target:
    -A colonist for a second city

Edit: Building Upgrade Votes
    Vivarium: +1 Food
    Trade Depot: +1 Production
    Launch Complex: +1 Orbital Coverage
    Thorium Reactor: +2 Energy
    Repair Facility: +5% Production for Military Units

• Options
    My choices are
    1. Engineering
    2. Defense Grid
    3. Give Prosperity and Knowledge Tree Equal Attention
    4. Ultrasonic Fence as next production target
    5. Upgrade Observatory - +2 city strength

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Genetics, Genetic Mapping, focus on knowledge tree, second colonist, recycler upgrade

• Options
    Physics, Ballistics, Equal, Ultrasonic Fence, Observatory

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Physics, Ballistics, prosperity, Colonist, observatory, Upgrade Thorium reactor (+2 energy)

• Options
    Genetics, Genetic Mapping, Give both equal attention, ultrasonic fence,

Also, I'm assuming those building upgrades are quest results, so I think we're supposed to pick for all of them? My choices are below

Vivarium: +1 Science
    Trade Depot: +1 Production
    Observatory: +2 Naval Movement
    Laboratory: Explorer gets extra expedition
    Repair Facility: +5% Military Unit Production
    Recycler: +10% Worker speed

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I'd like to join as an explorer, if you want more people.
    Just let me put on my respirator for all this miasma.

immortan-Joes.jpg

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Oh yeah I think you're right. In that case:

Vivarium: +1 Science
    Trade Depot: +1 Energy
    Observatory: +2 City Strength
    Laboratory: Explorer Units gain 1 additionalExpedition Module (Global)
    Repair Facility: 5% Production for Military Units
    Recycler: +10% Worker speed (Global)

• Options
    Yes each building option is a quest for that building. Choose one option for every building.

Welcome aboard @NotoriusBEN. Would you like to explore the high seas or the oand?

• Options
    Send where ever you need me. I'm prone to wanderlust

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Oh this is still going!

Engineering / Defense Grid / Prosperity / Colonist / Thorium Reactor

• Options
    Votes counted

What tech should we prioritize out of these low level ones (we'll probably grab all, this is to determine order):
    Physics: Retaba Gizzy El Skid(+1)
    Genetics: Discrider (+1) Lord A
    Engineering: Egos Farangu
    Chemistry:

And these higher level ones (this will likely be for the one we grab before next update):
    Defense Grid Retaba Egos Farangu
    Ballistics Gizzy El Skid(+1)
    Genetic Mapping Discrider (+1) Lord A

-Focus on the Knowledge tree Discrider
    -Focus on the Prosperity Tree Retaba El Skid Farangu
    -Give both equal attention Egos Gizzy Lord A(+1)

Abydos build orders
    -A colonist for a second city Retaba Discrider El Skid Farangu
    -A Ultrasonic fence (provides protection against aliens) Egos Gizzy(+1) Lord A

-A vivarium (+2 food)

Building Upgrade Votes
    Vivarium:
    +1 Science Lord A Gizzy
    +1 Food Retaba

Trade Depot:
    +1 Production Retaba Lord A
    +1 Energy Gizzy

Observatory:
    +2 City Strength Egos Gizzy
    +2 Naval Unit Movement (Global) Lord A

Laboratory:
    Explorer Units gain 1 additionalExpedition Module (Global) Lord A Gizzy
    +1 Science

Launch Complex:
    +1 Orbital Coverage Retaba Lord A Gizzy
    +10% Production for Orbital Units

Thorium Reactor:
    +2 Energy Retaba El Skid Lord A Gizzy
    +1 Production

Repair Facility:
    +1 Orbital Coverage
    +5% Production for Military Units Retaba Lord A Gizzy

Recycler:
    +10% Worker speed (Global) Lord A Gizzy
    +1 Food

Of course Farangu causes two ties, including a three way tie for the wonder

• Options
    How about those with +1 voting power get ties broken in their favor? Or coin flip it?

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    We went with Phalla Rules. No wonder and Farangru is dead!

Jk, I'll explain how the votes went.

So, we begin Researching Physics right off the bat. While there were many factions asking for various technologies to be researched, the military's request for a weapons that could engage the alien threat a great range turned out to be the deciding factor. Plinfeldorf's expedition finds some scrap in a crashed satellite that is shipped back to Abydos to help construction there. Plinfeldorf falls back to Abydos to stock up, as a derelict settlement is seen south of the crashed satellite, while the armed forces provide cover.

In Abydos, a Ultrasonic Fence is built. Scientists are eager to see the theory in action, and believe that with more knowledge we can use such frequencies to protect trade convoys. After the Fence is complete, a second explorer is recruited and sent south. Once a suitable location is found, another solider unit is recruited along side a colonist expedition. The city of Mostly Harmless is founded, named after a joke made by Lord Justice Sir Fabulous of the Supreme Court of the People's African Union Colonial Authority of Cath.

We make diplomatic overtures to the ARC, asking for open borders to aid in the exploration of Cath. They demand we pay for such an agreement, despite it benefiting it us both. Naturally, we refuse. We continue to make friends with the Protectorate to the south and the Pan Asian Cooperative.

Returning to the Derelict Settlements, Plinfeldorf finds survivors in the wreckage. They are from a secret United Nations mission to colonize Cath, shortly before the collapse of the UN during the fall. Cut off from Earth, the colony withered to it's present state. The survivors settle in Abydos, while the knowledge of their failed attempt helps us better prepare for what this planet holds.

Eventually, we gain a free colonist from the Prosperity tree. We send this unit north to the coast, as we need a port on this planet's ocean. We name this city New Carthage, due to the similar role the ancient city will play to our modern one.

Our brave military bands together with the Explorers Guild in an attempt to explore the isthmus to the north, but no headway is made. The North remains an unconquerable land, home to this planets natives.

It is decided that the Gene Bank should be built. Researching such technology will appease the Purity faction, and as they are currently in the best standing with the government and people it is decided to go forward with this project.

A fun note, while covering Plinfeldorf, our two units of soldiers gain three veteranacy bonus between them. Each time, we must burn them on healing our units right there and then. It's the only way we can hold back the xeno tide, but it works. That is, until, a siege worm appears.

Some expert maneuvering allows our brave men and women in arms to protect the expedition while keeping our distance from the worm, but it surely is a tense few turns.

The Xenos add two new bags of tricks to their arsenal. In addition to wolfbeetles, siege worms, and flying drones; raptor bugs and manticores join the fray. Raptor bugs are larger than wolfbeetles but fill a similar role. They get in close and attack any colonists who stray to far away from settlements. Manticores, on the other hand, attack from a distance. A distance rivaled by large cannon, with accuracy about the same. How and why such a beast evolved is unknown, as is the means to which they achieve such accuracy.

The local fauna continues to amaze and terrify...

This is our tech web progress.

The following techs are available for research:
    Biochemstry: Water Refinery (must be build on coast, +1 Food and Production on Oceans), Petrochemical Plant (requires petroleum near city, +1 Production and Energy from petroleum)

Ballistics: Rocket Battery (+15 city health, +18 defense, +3 anti orbital range), Stellar Codex (Ballistics): +8 orbital coverage (aka more space for satellites over our territory)

Alien Lifeforms: Alien Preserve (+2 Culture)

Geophysics: Can build Geothermal Wells (can access Geothermal strategic resource)

Alien Biology: Workers immune to Miasma, Workers can clear Miasma, Miasma Repulsor Sattlite (pushes miasma into agecent tiles) +Harmony

Genetic Design: Gene Garden (requires level 2 Purity, +1 Science, +2 Health), Cloning Plant (+2 Food), Ectogenesis Pod Wonder (+1 Food per 4 Citizens)

Power Systems: + production from mines and + energy from geothermal wells

Defense Grid: Defense Perimeter (+40 hit points, + 10 defense), Panopticon (+5 range for anti-orbital strikes, all military nits gain +1 los)

Robitics: Autoplant (+2 Production), can build Manufactory tile improvement (+3 priduction, -2 Health), can mine Firaxite (Supremacy stragtic resource)
    Alien Science: Xenofeul Plant (requires level 2 Harmony, +3 Energy), Xenonusery (requires level 2 Harmony, +10% Science), can harvest Xenomass (Harmony stratgic reasource)

Once again, should we
    Focus on Knowledge
    Focus on Prosperity

Mostly Harmless build orders:
    Focus on improving the city (build science, culture, health)
    Focus on producing colonists (grow the city, build colonists)

Building Quest options. People seem confused on these. Each building gets one quest where we can choose how to modify it for our needs. Choices are permant and universal. Please make a choice per building.

-Water Refinery:
    Free Maintenance
    +1 Food

-Petrochemical Plant
    +2 Production from Petroleum
    +2 Culture from Petroleum

-Alien Preserve
    All Units +5 healing (Global)
    +1 Science, +1 Energy

-Defense Perimeter
    +10 City Hit Points
    Free Maintenance

-Rocket Battery
    +5 City Strength
    +1 City Orbital Strike range

-Network
    Free Maintenance
    +1 Culture

Colonization options:

The first picture is the Southwest, the second is the Far Southeast past Mostly Harmless. Both sites offer many great sites for cities. I'm going to leave this more open, let's hear where the readers think would make a good fourth (maybe fifth) city site! And we're outta names for cities as well!

Computing: Missile Rover Unit, Gunboat, Network (+3 Science), Spy Agency (can conduct espionage) will be our next tech, so Egos can be our international man of espionage for us. And so BEN can sail the high seas in the name of Africa!

• Options
    Some strange deja vu pathfinding across the sea for an eventual invasion. (scouted Britain for the gauls in the Rome 2 lets play a while ago.)

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    My brain is not ready to process this today. I vote for anything that gives +1 Science .. because .. SCIENCE!

• Options
    There appears to be a huge case of voter apathy!

• Options
    so what do we need to vote on aside from building quest options? Those and one of the tech branches to research?

• Options
    I'll post tomorrow if I can.