As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Paradox Can Into Space With [Stellaris]

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Foefaller wrote: »

No clue if that means you need psionics to unlock Jump) Drives, or if that's just one path to tearing a whole in reality.

If that doesn't reference the Astronomican I'm going to demand a refund.

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Will it involve a psionic beacon fuelled by the sacrifices of hundreds of psionics every day?

On a mildly related note.. I've been on a bit of a space 4x style craving lately and my god, Star Ruler 2 has horrid documentation and IMHO a large number of counter intuitive designs aka newbie traps

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular

No clue if that means you need psionics to unlock Jump) Drives, or if that's just one path to tearing a whole in reality.

It sounds like there's a unique Jump Drive technology that is tied to having psionics first, probably mostly used and can be acquired by destroying the ships of Holy Fallen Empires, since spirituality is more likely to yield psionics.

Apparently Jump Drivers are an advanced form of FTL that Fallen Empires have and is 20 times faster than standard FTL methods, or thereabouts. I don't know if you can research it or not, the wiki doesn't say.

Oh also, are potentially planning on having a Penny Arcade multiplayer game after the game releases? I would be up for something like that.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    A steak! wrote: »

Well, spiritualists are more likely to have psionics pop up as a research type than anything else, and supposedly the leader title for the advanced Spiritualist Monarchy gov is God-Emperor, so...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Takel wrote: »
    Will it involve a psionic beacon fuelled by the sacrifices of hundreds of psionics every day?

On a mildly related note.. I've been on a bit of a space 4x style craving lately and my god, Star Ruler 2 has horrid documentation and IMHO a large number of counter intuitive designs aka newbie traps

That's a shame because the first one was highly regarded for what was a barebones indie effort

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular

No way, it's totally a Guild Navigator

havEDL5.png

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    That's not to say it's a bad game. There's certainly a lot of great mechanics in there and plenty of ways you can get sideswiped if you're not careful (someone who focuses purely on military could very well get hammered in the Galactic Senate to the point they lose entire systems without a shot being fired)

It's just that a huge number of IMHO basic gameplay mechanics aren't explained, documented properly or just difficult to use.
    Like facility construction on planets. You would think that facility development is the best way to develop. Nope. It's a maintenance cost trap if you don't do it right. Or mining asteroids. There's virtually no documentation on how to do it, or what's it's good for. Or retrofitting ships (which by the way isn't so much of retrofitting as it's updating to the latest version of the design. You cannot select what design to retrofit to). Or Drydocking ships (Why would I want to pay another 25% additional cost? Oh yeah, that's the only way to build a ship that'll normally cost 10x your turn budget)
    Oh and the ship design with free-form painting your ship layout? Yeah... about that... due to how the damage modelling works you're better off with a really fugly 'hammerhead' design and odd geometric shapes, so forget about painting a copy of an X-Wing unless you want to see it get destroyed by a force 1/10th its on-paper strength. Personally I couldn't stand the thought of using ships that resembled flying honey pot ants or dumbbells so I tried to make a compromise that's like 90% effective and utilises the majority of the 'effective' ship design techniques, but at least the design silhouette looks like a 4x space ship.

I'm not dumping on the game. There's certainly a good game there and it makes a lot of great streamlining and design choices such as the emphasis on Flagships which is a great way to capitalise on the emergent player behaviour in the first game in focusing on building these huge ass ships that were like 100x the size of the rank and file ships. But it's just rather rough around the edges when it comes to UX, explaining basic fundamentals such as building a strong economy and oddly enough, it lacks any sort of hand-off of some aspects of micromanagement to an AI governor of sorts. Maybe I'm just spoilt by Distant Worlds... However, if you thought Distant Worlds had a cliff of a learning curve... yeah Star Ruler 2 can appear to be really obtuse and frustrating to start with as you can't even put your empire on auto and watch a computer do things.

Takel on
    Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    m!ttens wrote: »

No way, it's totally a Guild Navigator

havEDL5.png

Actually, in the Blog streams they talk about wanting get a space station addition called the Navigation Guild that requires Spice to construct, so they've already got Guild Navigators

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular

Oh also, are potentially planning on having a Penny Arcade multiplayer game after the game releases? I would be up for something like that.

I'd be down for that.

I happen to have a week booked off work for holiday. It just happens to be the week Stellaris comes out. Go figure.

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Options
    We would have to figure out who would be the best host assuming we can get a decent number of people. I probably won't have the best connection or the strongest computer. We should also figure out when a good time to play would be.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Takel wrote: »
    That's not to say it's a bad game. There's certainly a lot of great mechanics in there and plenty of ways you can get sideswiped if you're not careful (someone who focuses purely on military could very well get hammered in the Galactic Senate to the point they lose entire systems without a shot being fired)

It's just that a huge number of IMHO basic gameplay mechanics aren't explained, documented properly or just difficult to use.
    Like facility construction on planets. You would think that facility development is the best way to develop. Nope. It's a maintenance cost trap if you don't do it right. Or mining asteroids. There's virtually no documentation on how to do it, or what's it's good for. Or retrofitting ships (which by the way isn't so much of retrofitting as it's updating to the latest version of the design. You cannot select what design to retrofit to). Or Drydocking ships (Why would I want to pay another 25% additional cost? Oh yeah, that's the only way to build a ship that'll normally cost 10x your turn budget)
    Oh and the ship design with free-form painting your ship layout? Yeah... about that... due to how the damage modelling works you're better off with a really fugly 'hammerhead' design and odd geometric shapes, so forget about painting a copy of an X-Wing unless you want to see it get destroyed by a force 1/10th its on-paper strength. Personally I couldn't stand the thought of using ships that resembled flying honey pot ants or dumbbells so I tried to make a compromise that's like 90% effective and utilises the majority of the 'effective' ship design techniques, but at least the design silhouette looks like a 4x space ship.

I'm not dumping on the game. There's certainly a good game there and it makes a lot of great streamlining and design choices such as the emphasis on Flagships which is a great way to capitalise on the emergent player behaviour in the first game in focusing on building these huge ass ships that were like 100x the size of the rank and file ships. But it's just rather rough around the edges when it comes to UX, explaining basic fundamentals such as building a strong economy and oddly enough, it lacks any sort of hand-off of some aspects of micromanagement to an AI governor of sorts. Maybe I'm just spoilt by Distant Worlds... However, if you thought Distant Worlds had a cliff of a learning curve... yeah Star Ruler 2 can appear to be really obtuse and frustrating to start with as you can't even put your empire on auto and watch a computer do things.

it is absolutely horrible with ship designs and basic documentation I agree and Distant Worlds Universe is by far the better game+expansions although holy shit is it an expensive game.

however there's something special about star ruler 2 that keeps me coming back. Dunno what it is yet, maybe it's the scale.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Distant Worlds Universe actually had a 50% off sale last year on Steam that made it 30 bucks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Here's the new Dev Diary for those who are curious. I'd post an excerpt but it's pretty long with a fair few illustrative pictures, so you should check it out on the forums:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-32-modding-art.924762/

Also as a reminder here is the times for the multiplayer stream that's happening tomorrow and wednesday:

dIJTPQe.jpg

Lord_Asmodeus on
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    That's bloomin' great news. Personally I'm never going to be able to produce any sort of game art, but even before launch the game community is going to be spewing forth all sorts of awesome.

Campy on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    From the dev diary.

Dat galaxy size

stellaris_dev_diary_31_01_20160502_galaxy_test.jpg

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    My God, it's full of stars.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Hm yes I think that will do

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    quarthinosquarthinos Registered User regular
    The Dev Diary said it "works" with a 5k galaxy, but optimization is needed...

• Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    quarthinos wrote: »
    The Dev Diary said it "works" with a 5k galaxy, but optimization is needed...

meaning once people actually start colonizing it will lag like fuck.

Still might be worth it to play on a map that size though

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    You wouldn't run into any other players at 5k, at least not until you each owned like 100 systems, and that's with like 20 players or so...

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    You wouldn't run into any other players at 5k, at least not until you each owned like 100 systems, and that's with like 20 players or so...

It would be so great!

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Plus delving into those unexplored areas mid to late game would be cool.

Just trucking along and then you meet a resurgent Fallen Empire that has been able to rebuild without resistance.

Or basically finding the Geth halfway across the galaxy.

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    I am just playing any type of game to get my Stellaris itch off my back

Sins, Star Wars, Starsector

all the games

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    It would be neat to have multiple "Galaxies" that were far enough apart that you would need to research late game intergalactic travel. Like a 4 cluster game with 4 people per cluster. The winner of each cluster has the resources to research the proper tech to get to the other galaxies.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    It would be neat to have multiple "Galaxies" that were far enough apart that you would need to research late game intergalactic travel. Like a 4 cluster game with 4 people per cluster. The winner of each cluster has the resources to research the proper tech to get to the other galaxies.

Suggest it to Paradox, future DLC!

• Options
    Toot toot, the hype train is pulling into the multiplayer stream station.

All aboard!

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Oh, Arumba. The more I watch him play, the less convinced I am of his competency.

But seriously, turns out recklessly rivaling other species might be a bad idea.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Oh, Arumba. The more I watch him play, the less convinced I am of his competency.

But seriously, turns out recklessly rivaling other species might be a bad idea.
    Arumba is hella good at making silly blunders, if his other videos are any proof.

• Options
    Declaring war on a fallen empire straight out the gate might also be a tad on the risky side.

I do kinda like that at least one player is juts goofing off though.

• Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    Declaring war on a fallen empire straight out the gate might also be a tad on the risky side.

Well it looks like Arumba managed to get a really good Gaia world out of that war. The Fallen Empire should've asked for it in the peace treaty but didn't because of a bug.
    So it was worth pissing off the Fallen Empire that time!

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    GaryO wrote: »
    Campy wrote: »

Well it looks like Arumba managed to get a really good Gaia world out of that war. The Fallen Empire should've asked for it in the peace treaty but didn't because of a bug.
    So it was worth pissing off the Fallen Empire that time!

Arumba seems like exactly the wrong kind of person to invite into an event like this. Trust him to find (perhaps accidentally, but who knows) an exploit that gives him a huge advantage in the inevitable coming wars.

I've enjoyed quite a lot of the Yogscast Civ5 multiplayer games, but what always tends to make me lose my interest is when one warmongering player gets far enough ahead that it would require all of the remaining players to reign them in, which they inevitably fail to do.

The forced non-aggression pact will hopefully at least give the less aggressive players a chance. I'm just hoping tomorrow won't end up being an hour of global warfare followed by six hours of the victors just mopping up.

Edit: That said I'm still loving this stream, and it's solidified my decision to preorder the game.

Vic on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    As promised they also uploaded the event

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjGnYvcQolo

Vic on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    I think I'm at the point I can't watch anymore.

I was about 50 minutes in when the annoyance that they hadn't fully surveyed the Blorg system was too much.

Do they figure it out by the end of the stream? I might start from where I left off if they do.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    This is going to be a terribly long week.

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    Sithrak!

• Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    I think I'm at the point I can't watch anymore.

I was about 50 minutes in when the annoyance that they hadn't fully surveyed the Blorg system was too much.

Do they figure it out by the end of the stream? I might start from where I left off if they do.

Yeah, they eventually figured it out.

I think you have to give them a break since they are both player and observer in this game, while also engaging in stream chat. Wiz clearly isn't playing optimally (and said as much).

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    So when is the "PA Starbalon Galactitrek Fly 40k" multiplayer thing gonna happen? Who's hosting?

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    I don't know how many people we have lined up for the PA multiplayer so far, I think it's just three that I've seen. As for who's hosting? Probably not me, I'm going to be using a laptop with wireless, so I won't have a stable enough connection to host it, even if my computer was up the task.

As for time, I'm available most of the day pretty much every day for awhile, so it depends on what everyone else's schedule looks like.

• Options
    I'd love to jump on a multiplayer game, but I'm GMT.

This discussion has been closed.