As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - It’s Still Too Late

2»

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Macca wrote: »
    Holy shit you guys, they're drawn with five fingers on their hands!! IT'S A NEW ERA!

*Narrows eyes*

*Checks archive*

Hmm, looks like non-Gabe and Tycho characters have recently had five fingers, but Gabe and Tycho only have four, until now, as you pointed out.

Interesting.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    I...I enjoyed Pixels. Does that make me a monster?

I mean, there were bits and whole characters I could have done without but as a bit of dumb entertainment? Yeah, I had fun.

Nah that's fine. Lots of people enjoy bad things.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    This is the first comic I can find with five-fingered characters:
    i-FJMxZgF-1050x10000.jpg

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    darleysam wrote: »
    The outrage over that cover and article sure felt like it got out of hand, though. Like, I get it, it's dorky, he looks silly, and saying "he doesn't look like your average D&D player!" got some people posting pictures of Vin Diesel, who also plays D&D (like that fact's not known by everyone exactly because of how surprising it was that someone like Vin Diesel is a hardcode D&D geek). But Palmer Luckey invented a $300 nerd-hat that lets you pretend to fly spaceships or explore alien landscapes. It's super cool, I really want to bankrupt myself to buy a setup to do it all justice, but that is pretty damned nerdy.

i'm just impressed that cover made it through publishing and apparently not one person said "that looks dumb as hell, don't print that". or maybe they were overruled. either way, the implications are chilling.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Palmer Lucky has always been kind of "adorkable".

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    GDT1985GDT1985 Registered User regular
    I think Tycho has five fingers in Mulligan, but it is obviously hard to tell.

9np4nkx7d29e.jpg

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I'm sure we'd all like to have five fingers in-HR ALERT POST REDACTED

• Options
    WordLustWordLust Fort Wayne, INRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

Mulligan is a good pet name for any partner after the first.

• Options
    Jakk FrostJakk Frost Registered User regular
    I suppose I'm in the minority here, but I tend to like Adam Sandler movies. Will Ferrell, on the other hand... let's dig that hole a little deeper, ok?

• Options
    WarforgedRusWarforgedRus Registered User regular
    Eh, maybe the best advertising is when something goes viral because it's SOOO BAD. Viral beyond the in-the-know-nerdisphere.

• Options
    calamityjamiecalamityjamie Corgi Wrangler Seattle, WARegistered User staff
    Tube wrote: »

I WILL BE REPORTING YOU TO THE PROPER AUTHORITIES

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Orphane wrote: »
    The outrage over that cover and article sure felt like it got out of hand, though. Like, I get it, it's dorky, he looks silly, and saying "he doesn't look like your average D&D player!" got some people posting pictures of Vin Diesel, who also plays D&D (like that fact's not known by everyone exactly because of how surprising it was that someone like Vin Diesel is a hardcode D&D geek). But Palmer Luckey invented a $300 nerd-hat that lets you pretend to fly spaceships or explore alien landscapes. It's super cool, I really want to bankrupt myself to buy a setup to do it all justice, but that is pretty damned nerdy.

i'm just impressed that cover made it through publishing and apparently not one person said "that looks dumb as hell, don't print that". or maybe they were overruled. either way, the implications are chilling.

If you don't think that they intentionally made the cover look as dorky as possible, I think you're being naive. There's always been an undercurrent of contempt in the way a lot of legacy media cover games and related technologies. "Ha ha, these kids and their Nintendo." They don't understand this stuff, they don't WANT to understand it. But it keeps getting more popular and more influential while they (legacy media and especially print legacy media like Time) see their audience and influence dwindle away, and they see that, they can't just be dismissive and go "Now back to what grown-ups care about" anymore, but they take the chance to get their slights in when they can.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    GDT1985GDT1985 Registered User regular
    The DLC for this one is very good. Jerry seems unsure that anyone wants to hear he and Mike talk without necessarily making a comic. I want to assure him(assuming he might actually learn of this post) that listening to them just be the people they are is fascinating. And not just in an alien anthropologist way. I genuinely love hearing their thoughts on serious things. Like that PA TV episode wherein Mike discusses his distaste for drugs. Keep up the good work gentlemen.

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    For context on the Time magazine thing:
    mLCbAj3pb4kr.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

Yup. That's VR alright. Erm.

Cue: R. Kelly "I Believe I Can Fly"

Shit, that's real? I thought it was a joke photoshop.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    His ShadowHis Shadow Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    >>If you don't think that they intentionally made the cover look as dorky as possible, I think you're being naive.

I think you are absolutely right.

His Shadow on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    it's not even so much the dorky-ness as much as what a bad piece of photo illustration work it is

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Orphane wrote: »

If you don't think that they intentionally made the cover look as dorky as possible, I think you're being naive. There's always been an undercurrent of contempt in the way a lot of legacy media cover games and related technologies. "Ha ha, these kids and their Nintendo." They don't understand this stuff, they don't WANT to understand it. But it keeps getting more popular and more influential while they (legacy media and especially print legacy media like Time) see their audience and influence dwindle away, and they see that, they can't just be dismissive and go "Now back to what grown-ups care about" anymore, but they take the chance to get their slights in when they can.

that also crossed my mind but hope springs eternal and also Hanlon's Razor

Orphane on