As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox One]: The Once and Future Console

Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
2823737-6174472236-26119.jpg
The Xbox is a home video game console and the first installment in the Xbox series of consoles manufactured by Microsoft. It was released on November 15, 2001, in North America, followed by Australia and Europe in 2002.[2] It was Microsoft's first foray into the gaming console market. The sixth-generation console competed with Sony's PlayStation 2, Sega's Dreamcast, and the Nintendo GameCube. It was the first console produced by an American company since the Atari Jaguar ceased production in 1996.

xbox.jpg
Moving away from the Xbox 360's PowerPC-based architecture—back to the x86 architecture used in the original Xbox—the console features an Advanced Micro Devices processor built around the x86-64 instruction set. The Xbox One places an increased emphasis on cloud computing and entertainment integration, offering the ability to overlay live television programming from an existing set-top box with an enhanced program guide, split-screen multitasking of applications, and improved second-screen support. The console optionally includes an upgraded Kinect sensor, providing richer motion tracking and voice recognition for use in its graphical user interface (GUI) and games. The Xbox One also offers the ability for users to record and share highlights from or live-stream gameplay. The console's controller was refined over that of the Xbox 360, with a redesigned D-pad and triggers capable of delivering directional haptic feedback.

xbox360.jpg?1316097758
Xbox's successor, the Xbox 360, was launched in November 2005. The Xbox was soon discontinued beginning with Microsoft's worst-performing market, Japan, in 2005. Other countries would follow suit in 2006.[8] The last Xbox game in Europe was Xiaolin Showdown released in June 2007, and the last game in North America was Madden NFL 09 released in August 2008. Support for out-of-warranty Xbox consoles was discontinued on March 2, 2009. Support for Xbox Live on the console ended on April 15, 2010.[6]

Brute_Force_Coverart.png
Xbox One games are distributed at retail on Blu-ray Disc, and digitally as downloads through Xbox Games Store.[110][111] All Xbox One games must be installed on the console's storage: users can begin to play portions of a game (such as opening levels) once the installation or download reaches a specific point, while the remainder of the game is downloaded or installed in the background. Updates to games and system software are also downloaded in the background and while in standby.[124] If the game is installed from physical media, the disc is still required for validation purposes.[125] If the game is installed on another console, and that console owner no longer has access to the disc, the owner has the option of unlocking the install on their hard drive by purchasing it through Xbox Live; the installed game then acts as a game installed on the hard drive.[125] An active internet connection may be required for some games, particularly those that integrate cloud computing.[125]

maxresdefault.jpg
Xbox One's user interface is modeled on Metro design language. Similarly to Windows 8, its dashboard consists of a tile-based interface sorted into categories, including "Pinned" apps and games, a "Home" section for currently active, and recently used software, a "Friends" tab showing recent activity, online users, and a Gamerscore leaderboard, and a "Store" tab serves as a consolidated portal to the games, movies, music, and app marketplaces. Apps can be snapped to the side of the screen as a form of multitasking.[91][92][93] The Activity Feed allows users to view their friends' in-game activities, videos, and post status updates. Users can "like" and comment on other users' status updates.[94]

6F32U1X.png

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I have one of these

Hurr hurr hurr

My gamertag is Moriveth if anyone cares to friend me on it

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    cZb557, myself. I was rather surprised to find cB557 was already taken.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited August 2015
    my roommate bought a copy of assassin's creed unity for this basically on the day it came out and he still hasn't removed it from the packaging

the other day he asked me when the new one was coming out so I propped his copy of unity right up next to the tv so he'd have to stare at it every time he watched tv

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited August 2015
    gonna be honest, kind of blanking on all the reasons why halo was rated m in the first place

but that might definitely be because I never got super huge into halo

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    I wonder if it was a business decision or just an accident

Cause if it was a choice I think it's a super smart one

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Yeah, I mean maybe the blood in it did it? It's not a particularly bloody game but there's weird thresholds for that sort of thing.

I can't even recall much swearing or anything in Halo.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure the Flood were what usually pushed Halo into M territory, what with the dismemberment and all.

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai SSSSSSSSSSS Registered User regular
    I got an xboner. GT is Phoberomy.

xXNXOA7.png?1
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I have one of these and the glorious Xbox handle tw1tch0rz, which I will never change. Please friend me and watch me play something every so often.

I am legit excited about the DVR functionality, which is dumb because I won't use it, but one of these days I'm going to get the tv tuner and run my antenna through it anyway because I am a dork. A cord-cutting dork.

• Options
    My Xbox is coming on Thursday, and I'm gonna run my cable box through it

Not cause I want to or am interested in the features

But because my TV is out of HDMI ports

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    xbox thread eh. I don't have one yet but i will at some point because

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEIR1DqEGZM

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    I have one of these and the glorious Xbox handle tw1tch0rz, which I will never change. Please friend me and watch me play something every so often.

I am legit excited about the DVR functionality, which is dumb because I won't use it, but one of these days I'm going to get the tv tuner and run my antenna through it anyway because I am a dork. A cord-cutting dork.

This does DVR NOW! SINCE WHEN! man I am out of the loop.

I'll hit you up on da xboner though.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    It's coming sometime next year, it's not out yet.

I heard people didn't like the Scalebound trailer, I'm not sure why but I can tell you that I am for damn sure buying it.

• Options
    Yeah I keep hearing that people are not keen on Scalebound and I'm not getting it

The numbers come out of guys when you hit them!

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Xbox thread! I spent hours on my 360, but now am pretty exclusively PS4. I'm thinking of changing that soon for stuff like Sunset Overdrive, though

In the meantime I might grab an old 360 so I can play all of the games I already have for it

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    i have one of these! I bought it so i can play all my rock band dlc later!

i think my tag is "The Betman", but i'll check again when i get home because i can't remember if i have the space in it or not.

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    As of this week, I will own all 3 consoles

Which I am pretty happy about

I'm gonna pick up Rare Replay when my Xbox shows up and borrow Dead Rising 3 and Sunset Overdrive from a friend

Plus it comes with the Master Chief Collection

did they fix that yet

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I'm bummed that beyond eyes kind of looks not very good

• Options
    I think Mr. G should start a gamertag list in the OP if people volunteer them HINT HINT

I am an enormous Platinum fan and will play whatever they put out (on the consoles I already own because I am not buying a WiiU for Bayonetta 2, sorry Bayonetta 2).

• Options
    Mine is WonderMink. We can be friends.

...maybe.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i've had an xbone for about six months now... the first 4 months of ownership were utter darkness

but now I've got Dark Souls 2 and Shovel Knight and Dragonage for it and it's pretty good

I also got Project Cars but its unplayable without a wheel (and possible unplayable WITH a wheel)

• Options
    That Binding of Issac Rebirth just rolled out on xbox one and I'd say it is really at home on console more than on PC. at 15 bucks I couldn't pass it up.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    after talking up sunset overdrive so much yesterday, i went ahead and deleted my safe so i could play it again

• Options
    edited August 2015
    only knock i'll give SO's character creator is i wish it gave you more options with the body types

your options are skinny petite woman, tall curvy woman, lean athletic dude, and super tall bulky dude

just like sliders for height and muscle and fat woulda been better

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    I'm MaximumJ49

If anyone wants me to crash into them when Forza 6 comes out next month, I'm your man!

• Options
    NinjabearNinjabear Registered User regular
    I'm DinoTeen.

Looking forward to playing some Gears Remastered multiplayer in a few weeks.

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me!!! Friend Code: 2981-7429-8364
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I just bought one of these because of this ridiculous sale at best buy:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/xbox-one-halo-master-chief-collection-bundle-with-40-tv/9999251700050003.p?id=pcmprd250200050003&skuId=9999251700050003

So updated my 720p 37" TV and got the Xbox to boot.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    maybe the nicest thing i can say about sunset overdrive's visuals

is that they look partially inspired by the scott pilgrim movie

Speed Racer on
This discussion has been closed.