As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Consul Megathread

Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
edited August 2015 in Social Entropy++
Who is you favorite American consul? It's time we settle this shit once and for all. Glenn A. Abbey vs. A. Homer Byington vs. all the rest.

My money is on O.H. Irish.

Raijin Quickfoot on

Consul Megathread 50 votes

Glenn A. Abbey
0%
Edward Henry Ozmun
0%
Mortimer Jackson
0%
A. Homer Byington
0%
Urbain Ledoux
12%
denihilistMulletudeNeoTomaEndRainfallGvzbgul 6 votes
Gideon Nye
10%
Librarian's ghostRadiusmiscellaneousinsanityCorporateRedWilliamTMcGonagall 5 votes
Reuben Wood
2%
Rehab 1 vote
Albert G. Riddle
0%
O. H. Irish
8%
Raijin QuickfootHouk the Namebringervalhalla130Peen 4 votes
Larlar
68%
FishmanMulysaSemproniusGarthorASimPersonAl_watDevlin_DragonusBahamutZERODJ EebsDarkPrimusMeldingAsharaxxrhylithLanglyBlueBlueOlivawTallahasseerielSpeed RacerAndy JoeturtleantGoose! 34 votes

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Larlar
    hmm

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    i like anal

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    O. H. Irish
    Orsamus Hylas Irish (1830–1883) was an official in the United States Department of the Treasury who served as Chief of the Bureau of Engraving and Printing from 1878 to 1883.

How do you NOT vote for this guy?

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Larlar
    Orsamus Hylas Irish (1830–1883) was an official in the United States Department of the Treasury who served as Chief of the Bureau of Engraving and Printing from 1878 to 1883.

Well, for starters, by including Larlar in the poll.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    O. H. Irish
    @larlar couldn't hold O.H. Irish's jockstrap in a suitcase.

• Options
    Larlar
    Yeah running against larlar is political suicide in the current post-9/11 SE++ political climate

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    See, I was talking to Larlar and Rank the other week, talking about how I think there needs to be a "I get it!" reaction button

it'd be for moments just like these

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Why is everyone yelling

• Options
    Larlar
    #pipe wrote: »
    See, I was talking to Larlar and Rank the other week, talking about how I think there needs to be a "I get it!" reaction button

I absolutely 100% do not get it

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Larlar
    is it just the pun?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    O. H. Irish
    #pipe wrote: »

I absolutely 100% do not get it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-6dIsvrmjM

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    This lead to read up on American Consuls
    and
    https://www.facebook.com/chennai.usconsulate?fref=photo
    this has been a nice read

Consul General Phillip Min seems pretty cool.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    Consuls are old hat.

Proconsuls are where it's at.

UmJZOFP.jpg

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    i like anal

pitching or catching

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    LORD. PALMERSTON.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Urbain Ledoux
    Urbain Ledoux was later known as "Mr. Zero" so he seems pretty cool. I'm still doing research on which Consul I'm gonna pick, gotta make sure I take this seriously.

• Options
    O. H. Irish
    Larlar is only winning this vote because YOU ARE ALL TOOLS OF THE BOURGEOISIE!

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Larlar
    Tru

• Options
    denihilistdenihilist Ancient and Mighty Registered User, Moderator mod
    Urbain Ledoux
    Urbain Ledoux is a dope ass name for a dope ass dude. It also sounds like a bedroom dark wave band.

• Options
    O. H. Irish
    Langly wrote: »
    Tru

7437865.jpg

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Larlar is only winning this vote because YOU ARE ALL TOOLS OF THE BOURGEOISIE!

yes correct

• Options
    O. H. Irish
    denihilist wrote: »
    Urbain Ledoux is a dope ass name for a dope ass dude. It also sounds like a bedroom dark wave band.

"Urbain J. Ledoux, later known as "Mr. Zero", referring to his not wanting his own name to be prominent, was motivated early in his quest of service to humanity"

Shit, I want to change my vote now. Motherfucker went by MR. ZERO

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Urbain Ledoux
    Urbain is a good name.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Urbain Ledoux
    Ok, Urbain Ledoux is a cool dude.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I'd like to know more about the nominees before I decide.

• Options
    O. H. Irish
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Ok, Urbain Ledoux is cool dude.

Yes he is. But look at O.H. Irish's beard!

O_H_Irish.jpg

• Options
    denihilistdenihilist Ancient and Mighty Registered User, Moderator mod
    Urbain Ledoux
    That's a really good beard.

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Urbain Ledoux
    As a Canadian I don't have a particular horse in this race, maybe I shouldn't have voted. thoughts?

• Options
    O. H. Irish
    Rainfall wrote: »
    As a Canadian I don't have a particular horse in this race, maybe I shouldn't have voted. thoughts?

All Canadian votes count towards Larlar no matter who they pick.

• Options
    Urbain Ledoux
    cB557 wrote: »
    I'd like to know more about the nominees before I decide.
    Urbain J. Ledoux (August 13, 1874 – April 8, 1941), later known as "Mr. Zero", referring to his not wanting his own name to be prominent, was motivated early in his quest of service to humanity. He sought to become a Catholic priest at 15 but witnessed a case of priest abuse and soon quit the priesthood about the age of 17. He began to work for law and business interests as a means of progress for humanity. He then sought to serve in diplomatic service for the United States with this approach and earned a few promotions. His approach of advocating for business development as a means to promote the interests of humanity was challenged, that it would be fruitless for higher aims unless personal transformation were brought to bear. He quit the diplomatic service and sought to work with non-governmental organizations for both business and peace interests. Soon he was working with the Bahá'ís and present during the conflict over the status of Sarah Farmer. He led the efforts to free her from involuntary confinement in an insane asylum, ultimately gathering a chief of police and a judge to accompany a court order to effect her freedom. He then began to found institutions seeking to aide humanity, making news first with the unemployment after the First World War among workers and veterans with a breadline in 1919. He advocated for the Bahá'í Faith albeit with a limited understanding of the principles of the religion and proceeded to set up events aimed at raising awareness of the suffering of the unemployed in New York and Boston. His efforts were seen as too confrontational and his events were repeatedly shut down even when he sought to be less confrontational and have discussions with leaders. The work was renewed with greater intensity during the Great Depression but he was in his 60s already and died soon after. Some of his work and antics were recorded in pictures and newsreels.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTQW6CeuMu0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHM2nqKsuww
    Old Common sees sight that recalled slave days the parade of the jobless USA: Massachusetts: Boston: EXT High Angle shot of unemployed men marching through crowd - many of the unemployed are carrying paper parcels TITLE: "Shorn lambs" eat lunch donated by business men SV men sitting in rows, opening their packed lunch boxes and eating their packed lunch. (2 shots). TITLE: Urbain Ledoux pleads for jobs for them. BV Ledoux (champion of the unemployed) addressing crowd of men TITLE: On the Auction Block BV "seller" and unemployed man stand facing crowd, unemployed man has bare thin back towards camera. TITLE: Dog and man sold together for $5 SV unemployed man standing holding dog in front of crowd.
    An example of one of his confrontational efforts, he ran a public 'slave' auction of unemployed men to draw attention to their plight.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Gideon Nye

he's the bloke what wrote that story bout the chap what traded away his wife's hair fer a christmas goose, aye?

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Urbain Ledoux
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Urbain Ledoux was born in Quebec! (and a few of the other choices were also either born in Canada or were consul to Canada).

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    O. H. Irish
    Picked Oh Irish based on the name alone, beard status confirms proper choice.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    O. H. Irish
    Albert G. Riddle is the great great grandfather of Tom Riddle.

AKA

LORD VOLDEMORT

• Options
    Urbain Ledoux
    Albert G Riddle is a pretty cool dude too.

1. Called the first Free Soil convention.
    2. He defended the Oberlin slave rescuers
    3. Made speeches in favor of arming slaves, the first on this subject that were delivered in Congress, and others on emancipation in the District of Columbia and in vindication of President Lincoln.
    4. Aided in the prosecution of John H. Surratt as one of the accomplices in the murder of President Abraham Lincoln.

• Options
    O. H. Irish
    Yeah, but his progeny lead to HE WHO SHOULD NOT BE NAMED

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    American Consul seems like a dope job, but I really don't know what it entails.
    I'm not great with people either.

chaz0je7d5jn.png

Seems like a lot of organizing events for the advancement of human rights.
    I imagine there's a lot of work done negotiating on behalf of the US government and individual citizens in one small crisis to the next.

Consuls basically sound like heroes.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    O. H. Irish
    General Min sounds like a super villain.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular

HPzcEuwm.jpg

ayup

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    O. H. Irish

HPzcEuwm.jpg

ayup

That's right! I knew it was familiar!