As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Build your own discussions in the [Super Mario Maker] thread

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Also you can put wings on yoshi
    But if they're permanent then you can't make Tubular

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I was expecting it to drop Mario off into a pit. The fact that it actually takes you to the end and launches a mystery shroom you can never actually get is wonderful.

Well you can go in the editor to look but I'd bet it's just Modern color mario

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

yeah I don't actually think you can make tubular

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options

yeah I don't actually think you can make tubular

I think we can all agree World Surfer is best left in the past

• Options
    cravipatcravipat CFKPW? Registered User regular
    I'm hoping Nintendo will do what they did for WarioWare DIY and Picross 3D and have themed contests. I would be a nice way for people to get featured that might not otherwise.

nw1m8qQ.pngwNA4DEe.png6W3X2nk.png
    Super Mario Maker ID: DBB-1RH-JJG
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    I'm thinking it might be possible to make something tubular-like with the propeller hat and maybe autoscroll

• Options
    My First few levels are gonna have a story theme tied to them.

Also I want to make a massive 4 level airship where the final two parts play out like revenge of the meta knight( with a turtle shell instead of a wheel obviously. Trying to figure out how to make an engine core now.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular

Also I want to make a massive 4 level airship where the final two parts play out like revenge of the meta knight( with a turtle shell instead of a wheel obviously. Trying to figure out how to make an engine core now.

Big ol' structure made of brick blocks, which you have to break a bit at a time with shells, maybe?

Moving platforms covered in Monty Moles in place of laser turrets? A caged Bowswr spitting fireballs in leiu of a main gun?

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    that troll level is incredible

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    It's going to be hard for me to not just put tons of Boos into every level.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    It's going to be hard for me to not just put tons of Boos into every level.

I say, don't fight it.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »

Big ol' structure made of brick blocks, which you have to break a bit at a time with shells, maybe?

Moving platforms covered in Monty Moles in place of laser turrets? A caged Bowswr spitting fireballs in leiu of a main gun?

Well I know conveyor belts and Yoshi will be involved. I figure you'll want to save them.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/Ynk9VSYKztI?t=7m9s
    Amiibo character specific levels are my new favorite thing

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Super Mario Maker is a charming little creation tool, and I'm sure fans will come up with some amazing levels for years to come. However, it feels a bit more constrained than it needs to be, and is in dire need of updates or DLC to keep it going long term.
    http://www.destructoid.com/review-super-mario-maker-306729.phtml
    Super Mario Maker is a game of joyous creation and fun surprises. And that's without mentioning things like the music, a highlight in every Mario game. From the familiar and joyous themes of the main worlds to the altered riffs you get when tinkering around in Make mode, the soundtrack captures that same essence of wonder and surprise as the rest of the game. Even the in-game instruction manual is incredibly useful and entertaining; it's graphically animated, written with a great sense of humor, and, for no particular reason, throws in some thoughts about brussel sprouts.
    http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/super-mario-maker-review/1900-6416236/
    I keep coming back to the idea that Mario Maker shouldn’t exist. It gleefully flies in the face of Nintendo’s controlling nature, and gives players the means with which to theoretically render every subsequent 2D Mario game obsolete. But Mario Maker is also a sign of Nintendo’s confidence. The world will never stop wanting that special Nintendo magic, and Nintendo knows that. Nintendo just want to give us a chance to make our own fun for a change and, in the process, learn to understand what they do a little better.
    http://kotaku.com/super-mario-maker-the-kotaku-review-1728170240
    Super Mario Maker is simple without being shallow and dense without being overwhelming. Its capabilities are limited compared to other creation games (you can only make platformer levels) but I never felt like I hit a wall in terms of creativity, and was consistently surprised by the work of others. Super Mario Maker will only grow from this point forward, but it already feels like the complete, 2D Mario creation tool we’ve been dreaming up since the first time we bounced off a koopa’s shell.
    http://www.gameinformer.com/games/super_mario_maker/b/wii_u/archive/2015/09/02/game-informer-super-mario-maker-review.aspx
    There’s nothing new or inherently exciting about a game with a level editor. Super Mario Maker pretty much drops the “game” part entirely—the 10 Mario and 100 Mario Challenges feature new prefab levels, but the focus here is clearly on the level editor and the user-made levels. But for many players Super Mario or one of its many sequels is the ur-videogame, the first brush with a controller, the most elemental building block in an entire multi-billion dollar industry. The ability to muck about with our most powerful memories and experiences is bewitching and almost unthinkable, but that’s the core of Super Mario Maker. It’s exactly as good and as bad as you think a Super Mario level editor would be, and that’s entirely subjective upon your own thoughts and opinions.
    http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2015/09/super-mario-maker-review.html
    In a perfect world, every video game franchise would have its own Super Mario Maker.

By giving the keys to the Mushroom Kingdom to players in such an approachable way, Super Mario Maker does something beyond the scope of most user-generated content-heavy games. Sure, it allows you to make some truly bonkers levels — levels that, at their most audacious, completely rewrite the rules of the Mario canon. But what's more impressive is how it holistically teaches you what goes into making a Mario game, and just how demanding that design process has always been.
    http://www.polygon.com/2015/9/2/9190435/super-mario-maker-review-nintendo-wii-u
    What better way to commemorate three decades of Super Mario Bros. than to put the tools for creating Mario games in the hands of fans? The series has long since become a part of the medium's vocabulary, and Super Mario Maker turns the act of creating new Mario adventures into a process as intuitive as the play mechanics it reproduces. Whether you're a serious student of game design, looking to kill a few minutes with your friends' creations, or an avid enthusiast of sadism through game design, you'll find something to love in Super Mario Maker.
    http://www.usgamer.net/articles/super-mario-maker-wii-u-review-infinite-fundiscovery

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    8-10 seems perfect. I have an instinctive distrust of a game that everyone rates nearly perfectly, as all games have flaws or at least have features that are unappealing to some, so I'm glad to see some legit criticisms in there.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    So as usual, Target kiosks have a demo of this game and the eShop doesn't

So I played around with it for like 15 minutes

I have never enjoyed a level editor as much as I have wanted to

This one seems to finally be it for me

Possibly because of a lifetime's experience with the Mario ruleset

I expected to just want to play other people's levels

I think I'm going to end up putting just as much time into making my own

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Everyone has a mario level somewhere inside their head.

You go find yours, Mr. G. You do you.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    Kindawish the
    Mr. G wrote: »
    So as usual, Target kiosks have a demo of this game and the eShop doesn't

So I played around with it for like 15 minutes

I have never enjoyed a level editor as much as I have wanted to

This one seems to finally be it for me

Possibly because of a lifetime's experience with the Mario ruleset

I expected to just want to play other people's levels

I think I'm going to end up putting just as much time into making my own

This is your time. Your moment.

Close your eyes take a leap . . .

AND FLY!

Metaphorically! I cannot stress this enough ,I have inadvertently cause several deaths by not clarifying.

• Options
    https://youtu.be/7tmxL0uNvfg?t=4m39s
    blah blah blah all the amiibo costumes WALUIGI IS A PLAYABLE CHARACTER IN MARIO MAKER

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Speaking of Amiibos, Duck Hunt et al is being sold separately in Australia, no triple pack for us to worry about.

• Options
    I feel like Amiibos in Australia are like an apology for all the other bullshit you guys have had to put up with for video games. I mean, it's not even close to enough, but it's at least a start.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    blah blah blah all the amiibo costumes WALUIGI IS A PLAYABLE CHARACTER IN MARIO MAKER

'this video is private'

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options

'this video is private'

Probably got KO'd by Nintendo. Is the costume embargo up yet?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Speaking of Amiibos, Duck Hunt et al is being sold separately in Australia, no triple pack for us to worry about.

I want 2/3 and the triple amiibo storage Tay is really nice for shelving so it's not a big deal to me.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I feel like Amiibos in Australia are like an apology for all the other bullshit you guys have had to put up with for video games. I mean, it's not even close to enough, but it's at least a start.

Well if anyone does not have to apologize its Nintendo for that. They never had much in the way of online gaming, practically none of their games were above a T rating, and they generally have been the cheapest system on the market.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    In the past some Nintendo games have taken forever to get here, but there are times now where we get it much earlier (like with Wright vs Layton).

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    I wasn't really paying attention to this game, but the Omegathon finale reeled me in.

I spent last night digging through my old art folders, all the way back to the 5th grade, where I had started designs for Mario spinoff game where Bowser, Wario and Wart meet an "Evil" Princess and form a counter-team to Mario, Luigi, Toad and Peach. There was a running joke that Tatanga, the evil spaceman from Super Mario Land, couldn't get a spot on the team, but when Super Mario World came out and the badguys started getting envious for their own riding dinosaur, he snuck in that way by putting on a saddle and letting all the other comically huge villains ride him around.

These designs for the evil princess are badass. She has a blood red mohawk and drill bits on the fronts of her shoes so she can kick holes into people. Hopefully they'll let me make custom sprites...

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    http://www.destructoid.com/an-easy-guide-to-the-things-not-included-in-super-mario-maker-309123.phtml

Bummed about lack of bolt lift and timed platforms most of all. Bubbles would have been fun too.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Im bummed about slopes

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Slopes is by far the biggest bummer there to me

• Options
    At this point I hate desert levels so much, I'm actually kind of glad they aren't available. Also, I'm beginning to strongly suspect there will be some Splatoon-esque content updates at some point.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    weeeeeeee don't have a Nintendo thread, so this is where I'll put this

Miyamoto has confirmed that they're currently making Pikmin 4, and in fact they're almost done with it

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    weeeeeeee don't have a Nintendo thread, so this is where I'll put this

Miyamoto has confirmed that they're currently making Pikmin 4, and in fact they're almost done with it

An insider got a video clip of the meeting where some people suggested Miyamoto focus on a more popular franchise
    https://youtu.be/FT4YbO_1mvA

• Options
    Hmm. They haven't said anything about their 2016 lineup yet. I wonder if there will be a Direct soon that covers that because other than former 2015 stuff that got pushed back, we don't know anything about what's coming next year.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Hmm. They haven't said anything about their 2016 lineup yet. I wonder if there will be a Direct soon that covers that because other than former 2015 stuff that got pushed back, we don't know anything about what's coming next year.

I'm really betting on the NX is out next year, and E3 will just be a mountain of stuff

Mario Maker really feels like the last "big" Wii U game

and we'll get Zelda on Wii U, but I bet it's also coming for NX

Pikmin 4 could also be a NX launch title, it's in their best interest to stack the deck with all these fan favorites

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    I really don't think it will, but if I'm honest with myself, I'm pretty sure that's because I really resent all the people who were calling the Wii U a "dead console" after the NX announcement and want them to be proven wrong with a big 2016 for the Wii U.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

I think we'll see a direct once we get a new CEO and they decide whether or not he'll be a factor in them.

• Options
    Zelda wiiu will not come out for the nx, and the nx will not be out next year unless its Christmas next year at the very end.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Yeah NX next year is super duper early

2016 seems far more likely

Especially since they've actually had an alright year with the Wii U, at least software wise, and aren't in as OH GOD EVERYTHING IS DOING TERRRIBLE straights like they were after launch and the year following

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRGRJRUWafY
    Miyamoto and Takashi Tezuka walk through the design of World 1-1

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png