As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Explosion in Tianjin, China

2»

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Thank god my parents are away at the moment. They don't live in Tianjin but they do go out there a lot to visit friends. I'm checking to see who we know that still lives in that area now. No family, so that's something, but plenty of mates.

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    I hope your family friends stay safe, viv

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I'm seeing 17 dead, just about 450 injured (of which only 32 are critical)

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Wait, is it still burning?

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

way less bad than the initial reports

still awful

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Also absolutely astounding given the size and force of the explosion

Like it is definitely terrible

But wow I thought there would be far more injured/dead and that is somewhat good (although still tragic) news

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

way less bad than the initial reports

still awful

It was 11:30 pm there from what I've seen. The docks area probably had just a skeleton crew running it.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    this is insane

I wonder if we'll ever know how the explosion started

edit: in one video it looks like a transformer explodes and then I guess it was near some flammable chemicals and they go off

Xehalus on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Wait, is it still burning?

from what I understand, rescue crews and first responder units were not even addressing the fire at first, there were so many wounded.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    It seems quite miraculous to me that so few people have been hurt or killed. I mean, still way too many, of course, but that explosion was massive and in a heavily populated city. My heart leapt when I heard about what happened. I don't know anybody who lives close to Tianjin thankfully, but I'm praying for those affected.

And not to be all doom and gloom, but I'm anxious to learn about what exactly exploded. I sincerely hope it wasn't something that could have any lasting environmental or health impacts.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I hope your family friends stay safe, viv
    Thank you guys.

My dad hadn't heard about the explosion until just now, probably due to time difference, but he has confirmed that there isn't likely anyone we know who is still living there. Thank goodness on the one hand, but that is some truly devastating stuff and I really feel for the residents.

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Holy crap I only just saw this.

Watching that explosion towering over the buildings is freakin' terrifying.

Has there been any solid confirmation about what actually happened yet?

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Holy crap I only just saw this.

Watching that explosion towering over the buildings is freakin' terrifying.

Has there been any solid confirmation about what actually happened yet?

it's far too early to know why, yet.

• Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Im reading 44 dead now, with 36 firefighters missing.

And firefighting basically suspended cuz they dont know what chemicals are around, also a chemical smell.

edit: and just 20 min ago a much much smaller explosion but yellow smoke everywhere

Barcardi on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    It's probably wrong that I keep thinking "Someone finally took up that Chinese chemical company on shipping 1Kg of FOOF".

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    This reminds me of the Texas City disaster, where a ship carrying ammonium nitrate caught fire and exploded. This caused several chain reactions, as other ships with the same cargo and an oil storage facility went up as well.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_City_disaster

Probably something similar happened, although on a much larger scale.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm still shocked the casualties and injuries are so low. Anyone dying and getting hurt is a tragedy but when I first saw that explosion my first thought was "thousands of people just died"

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I'm still shocked the casualties and injuries are so low. Anyone dying and getting hurt is a tragedy but when I first saw that explosion my first thought was "thousands of people just died"

Like, that picture of the building that's just a skeletal frame. There's no way someone in that building would have survived that. The buildings close to the explosion must have been nearly completely empty.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I think at least some of that damage is from the fires that came after the explosion too, so there would have been at least some time for the people there to evacuate.

JayKaos on
    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I saw some of the pictures wow

• Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Fishman wrote: »
    It's probably wrong that I keep thinking "Someone finally took up that Chinese chemical company on shipping 1Kg of FOOF".

sodium cyanide (NaCN), toluene diisocyanate (TDI) and calcium carbide (CaC2)

Are all leaking or exposed on site, not sure if that's what caused it though

Barcardi on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I'm going to spoiler this because it will literally kill off your faith in humanity, should you have any
    people on a certain website are bemoaning this explosion because it may delay or outright stop they're board game shipments coming from china

they are ok with this because

a: when the MILES HIGH EXPLOSION IN THE MOST DENSELY POPULATED COUNTRY IN THE WORLD was first reported there was no mention of any deaths and

b: it's human nature to be concerned with yourself first

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »

thank you for referencing what might be my favorite blog in the world despite not knowing all that much about chemistry

but also this is weirdly on-point

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I'm going to spoiler this because it will literally kill off your faith in humanity, should you have any
    people on a certain website are bemoaning this explosion because it may delay or outright stop they're board game shipments coming from china

they are ok with this because

a: when the MILES HIGH EXPLOSION IN THE MOST DENSELY POPULATED COUNTRY IN THE WORLD was first reported there was no mention of any deaths and

b: it's human nature to be concerned with yourself first

Ahahahaha oh wow

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Holy shit that first clip in that video where they're reeeeeally close to the explosion. That's terrifying. Terrifying isn't even a strong enough word.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Well, it didn't kill my faith in boardgamers.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    this is not meant to be a political post in the slightest, but i distrust the "official" numbers from China's gov't regarding injured and dead, for good reason.

i hope those numbers stay where they are and aren't actually higher. this is terrible...

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562