As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Motoring. What's your price for flight?

Goose!Goose! That's me, honeyShow me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
edited August 2015 in Social Entropy++
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i5VBrCvCNI

I am going on a road trip to my brother's house in Virginia in a few hours. What are some things I can do to not want to kill myself (I am a passenger, not the driver)? Are there good android games (already have hearthstone on my phone but that takes up hella battery).

Also, what are some of your road stories? What do you guys always need to have when you travel? What is your price for flight?

I should mention that I'm traveling with my family so nothing too raunchy, you rascals.

Goose! on

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    The last time I did a major road trip was from Utah to Texas, riding with my sister, her husband, and one of my brothers down to a family wedding. I suggested to my sister that some audio books would be a good idea, since a large part of the drive was overnight, and we wanted something to listen to that wouldn't fade into just background noise, but help us stay alert. So she picked up a bunch of novels from some list of "culturally important books that you should have read already, you ignorant swine".

Unfortunately, the one that got put in for the longest leg of the journey was John Steinbeck's "The Pearl". And by the time we realized how much we all hated it, we were all committed to finishing it just out of morbid curiosity.

I do not recommend listening to that book, over several hundred miles of the Western US, in the dark. Or really under any circumstances. Or any other Steinbeck novel, unless it's for purely academic purposes. What a hateful, horrible, miserable story. What a torturous build-up, just to have everything go to crap anyway in the end. By the time we got to the wedding, we were all unified in our disgruntlement, ready to burn down the whole shitty earth for its numerous offenses. We were grouchy enough that my grandma dragged us all aside individually to lecture us about our attitudes, and how, as the three oldest kids, we needed to set a better example. But then she segued into the "why aren't YOU married yet" lecture, and rather than snap at her I spent the rest of the Texas adventure stewing in my hotel room, fighting with the complimentary wifi and cursing at it loud enough that the people in the room next door complained to management.

So. Audio Books. Good for keeping you awake, at least.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i5VBrCvCNI

I am going on a road trip to my brother's house in Virginia in a few hours. What are some things I can do to not want to kill myself (I am a passenger, not the driver)? Are there good android games (already have hearthstone on my phone but that takes up hella battery).

Also, what are some of your road stories? What do you guys always need to have when you travel? What is your price for flight?

I should mention that I'm traveling with my family so nothing too raunchy, you rascals.

When I took my Electric Motors class, Sister Christian was the bane of my existence.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    My routine for solo trips out to my parent's place (about a 2 and a half hour drive) was just load up on a few CDs (I'm old school) that I felt like listening to and listen to those. That was it. Now I've been using Spotify to do the same thing: pick a handful of full albums to listen to start to finish. It's actually a great way to acquaint myself with new stuff.

When I took a two-day trip from Victoria to Calgary this summer, though, I thought I'd mix it up and listen to podcasts instead. It was pretty fun! I would alternate between hour-long podcast episodes, an album, back to podcasts, and so on. It kept it varied and the trip was really nice.

I haven't been a passenger on a road trip for a while though, and really, the only difference in my habits then was that I wasn't driving. I liked looking out the window and listening to music. Maybe even nap a bit!

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    If you've got a 3DS pick an RPG and you're set. Can't much vouch for any methods when a passenger though, I get carsick if I use my phone, read, or try to game in a car. So I sleep. The whooooole way.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I recommend downloading a half dozen Radiolab podcasts, and round out the trip with the Moth Radio Hour, as many as you can fit.

I have many road stories from driving Austin -> Boston without stopping! It is insanity and I don't recommend ever doing it. One time I stopped for breakfast after driving all night, and found in my pocket a) less money, and b) receipt from a meal I'd had the night before and did not remember.

One time I pulled over to sleep because I was too shattered to go on, and woke up an hour farther down the road than I was when I'd stopped, pulled over in front of my exit. No idea how I got there.

Once I had a leaf stuck on my windshield wiper, but I didn't want to stop so I turned on the wiper and reached out to grab the leaf while still driving 70 down the highway. Caught the whole wiper instead, which promptly broke off and blew away. Few minutes later, it started raining... I was in rural Virginia at 6:30 on a Sunday evening. Desperately drove around the next town I saw an exit for, banged on the door of a NAPA auto parts and some guy took pity on me and sold me a wiper so I could continue.

That same trip, coming back, I was caught with one headlight in a torrential rainstorm in the mountains in Pennsylvania near Scranton I think, and was nearly blown off the road by an 18-wheeler because he was going 60 and I couldn't see 10ft in front of me so I was going like 25. I thought I was going to drive off a cliff that night.

My price for flight is around $400 now. :)

spool32 on
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    When I'm driving long distances, music alone isn't enough to keep me awake/alert. I either need to have someone else in the car to talk to, or I need podcasts to listen to.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I pretty much always listen to podcasts on roadtrips.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Mortaring. What's your price to fire?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    Not really a driving story, but when I had one of my first steady jobs I would take my lunch and drive down random farm roads half an hour away from work without really thinking, then try to find my way back. Was good for the navigation skills, and by the end of the summer I had driven on probably every road possible within a 30 minute radius.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    audiobooks are my driving constant

got through almost half of aDWD in a 12 hour drive

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    You're the passenger?

Sleep.

Trust me its like time travel

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    You're the passenger?

Sleep.

Trust me its like time travel

I can't sleep in the car, especially when it's with my parents. Wish I took the train.

• Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Goose! wrote: »
    Are there good android games (already have hearthstone on my phone but that takes up hella battery)

Multitap USB -> car lighter adapters and cables long enough to reach everyone's devices are a must have.
    You Must Build A Boat is available on Android. It's a great matching/dungeoncrawl game.

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    buy a Vita and Persona 4 Golden

bam, done