As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Open World Games

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    I have the PS4 version of Sleeping Dogs.
    I haven't played a whole lot of it, but it seems fine.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'm...concerned about Mad Max

I want it to be great because a vehicular open world game sounds great!

But it looks like it could be pretty bad
    SR3 is great but kind of hard to go back to after 4

I've actually never played any of them, so I assume I'll have the best experience possible!

It seems odd that you're worried about Mad Max and excited for Just Cause 3

because they're made by the same developers

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Every time somebody mentions Sleeping Dogs and I realize we might never get another proper Sleeping Dogs:

YLhlQq5.jpg?1

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    I really enjoyed Sleepy Dogs for about the first half of the game, it was nice fist-fighting everyone in a non-American city, playing dress-up, and enjoying the cop/criminal conflict of the story, but I came to a point where it just felt like there was no variety in the environment, then all the enemies had guns, and the story conflict just seemed to be people yelling at you for not acting more like a cop, and I kind of wound up just getting to the end for the sake of finishing it.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Also I'm super glad Mirror's Edge is moving more toward open world exploration. I've always said that game had more in common with Skate than Prince of Persia.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I knew open world games were going to be my thing in a big way when I was 14 and Daggerfall came out. I probably put 1000 hours into that game.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    I knew open world games were going to be my thing in a big way when I was 14 and Daggerfall came out. I probably put 1000 hours into that game.

I guess my first, that I didn't really consider 'open-world' when I was playing it because that wasn't really a term that was used, was Elite II. Sunk a considerable portion of my early life into that game.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Mirror's Edge 2 going open world seems like the best possible move

I've seen a lot of folks expressing the exact opposite opinion.

I'm kind of in that camp?

Mirror's Edge was at its best when you could smoothly pull off a good stretch without interruption, and a linear path would encourage that. Open world makes you tempted to deviate from the path which breaks the flow.

The fact that Mirror's Edge had 'the path' which you were punished for deviating from was the biggest problem with it. It doesn't really make sense to me to have a strictly linear parkour game. I want to be rewarded for creativity and experimentation.

But then, I'm another big open world game fan. I love pretty much all of them. I just beat InFamous not too long ago, and it was ok, but being open world meant it was still pretty good. It's really weird to have that kind of game and not be able to ride in vehicles, though. I'd love to have another Red Faction Guerilla.

sig.gif
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »

I've actually never played any of them, so I assume I'll have the best experience possible!

It really isn't that odd

When games press got to play Mad Max before E3 the reactions were very mixed

When games press got to play Just Cause 3 the reactions were almost universally positive

Plus the fact that they have 2 games coming out this year means that they have two dev teams and it is pretty likely their lead team is on JC3

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    I'm currently playing Fallout 3 and really enjoying it!

Which is a little odd, because Morrowind is my least favorite game of all time.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I'm guessing the main story missions at least will still be linear and tight in ME2 - probably plenty of side races, etc. too. You can definitely still have a carefully controlled path within an open world game.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Blankzilla wrote: »

It really isn't that odd

When games press got to play Mad Max before E3 the reactions were very mixed

When games press got to play Just Cause 3 the reactions were almost universally positive

Plus the fact that they have 2 games coming out this year means that they have two dev teams and it is pretty likely their lead team is on JC3

The opposite, actually!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-05-25-mad-max-preview

"Mad Max is being created by Avalanche's core team in Stockholm, with Just Cause 3 being made by a satellite studio in New York."

I haven't seen many impressions of the game so far, but Eurogamer and The Verge are positive, and it was nominated for best PC game and best action game at Gamescom

edit: Rock, Paper, Shotgun mentions the previous underwhelming presentations but says that their recent hands on experience with it at Gamescom was much more promising. It wasn't a scripted demo either, they were given a controller and told they could do what they wanted.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm assuming mirror's edge will still have plenty of controlled time trial courses. Maybe a whole mode of those awesome abstracted levels from the first game? That'd be awesome

Having the open world is definitely the way to go though. I probably spent most of my time in mirror's edge on the training grounds, just running where I pleased, seeing where I could get to. I did the whole campaign and did a LOT trying to beat my times, but just chilling on those rooftops was the best

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I'm still mad that I lost the time trial stuff somehow. Bought the game + bonus stuff on Origin, played one of them once, no amount of uninstalling + reinstalling in any order has made them show up in the list again.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    So I just got an Xbox and I have been playing Sunset Overdrive

All the video I have seen of Sunset Overdrive had led me to believe the game was horribly, painfully slow

That is not the case whatsoever

The traversal stuff is basically what would happen if you mashed Saints Row 4 and Tony Hawk together and the result is beautiful

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    GaryO wrote: »
    I liked Mercenaries. Open world game where almost every vehicle is a military vehicle. Plus the ability to call in airstrikes on my enemies.

And for some reason its the only game i've ever been good at driving in. Every other game I play im terrible, where I routinely murder dozens of people anytime I get in a car. Makes playing GTA a chore as im nearly always in a police chase.

Mercenaries 1 was a goddamn delight. I still remember how I cheated on the final mission by simply crawling my way up a different side of the mountain, blowing a hole in the wall and taking the final mark alive by surprise.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I hope Mad Max is good. What I've seen of the combat and customization looks fun anyway. I'm much more looking forward to Horizon Zero Dawn.

Otherwise, Shadow of Mordor is probably my favorite so far, slightly ahead of the Infamous series.

Noggin on
    Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Yes hi hello I have fallen down a massive Witcher 3 hole over the last couple days.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I just got back into witcher

Its a deep deep hole

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    My most recent favorite open world game came out of absolute nowhere and ended up being my GOTY last year. Shadow of Mordor was absolutely incredible, and if we don't get other companies copying the idea of the nemesis system then it'll be a huge loss.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    I want the burnout franchise to adapt the nemesis system

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I seem to have done something terrible to myself in Witcher, the last time I played it was like a month ago and I was not sober minded and now I appear to have sold my swords and have no other swords and also no money and I think I'm on the last story quest

• Options
    I think Sunset Overdrive would be significantly more insufferable if I was playing as a dude

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular

It's just impressions I'm getting

Just Cause 3 looks more a big dumb action movie of a game that knows it's just a big dumb action movie

Mad Max looks...unpolished?

Of course, I'd be happy to be proven wrong!

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I have been wanting to pick up the PS4 Sleeping Dogs. I've never played it.

Anybody who doesn't play Saints Row 2 is doing themselves a real disservice. It's my favourite saint's row by far.

• Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    I want the burnout franchise to adapt the nemesis system

Holy shit this sounds incredible.

Like, you take down a dude in just like, a cool racecar. But then he shows up with spikes on his hubcaps to prevent that, so you shove him from behind into a divider, then he shows up with a huge triangle of metal on the front so he just bounces off next time. Oh but wait, turns out he sucks at driving in the rain, and it starts raining so you let him chase you up into the mountains on that one road that's being worked on and the guide rails are all missing...

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Also you could affect Ai patterns in general that way

If you're takedown focused a recurring opponent might try to just gas it and get by you rather than dealing with your goon ish behavior

• Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    does skate count

because if skate counts then skate 2 is the best open-world game by a wide margin

vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Open world Burnout Revenge with the nemesis system. I would play that.

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Also you could affect Ai patterns in general that way

If you're takedown focused a recurring opponent might try to just gas it and get by you rather than dealing with your goon ish behavior

Some randomized mutators so that you can't predict how an opponent may react when they see you again. Like, one might just floor it, another might try to beat you at your own game, another might start traveling in a pack, and yet another might nurture a grudge and try to hunt you down.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I love open world games. My very first was Morrowind and I was blown away the first time I left the Census Office and stood in Seyda Neen with a single objective to meet with some dude in Balmora. Of course in between me and Balmora was a whoooole lot of land and cities and tombs and monsters and treasure and I think I only stumbled into the city for that first time at Level 10. Then I found out about the Guilds.

I still have not actually completed Morrowind legitimately, I think I'm on the "kill the 6th House" segment of it when last I played.

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    I think Mad Max looks pretty good, and a lot of the mixed reception it got was people expecting it to be exactly like the movie, which was never going to happen

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    Yeah I've seen a lot of people specifically criticize the game because Furiosa isn't in it

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Sunset Overdrive takes a little while to get going, but once it gets going it goes

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    My favorite open world games are Prototype 2 and Fallout 3. The former because you can chainfist a helicopter and swing it into other helicopters, and the latter because you can throw grenades made out of soda pop at guys and have them explode into blue radiation.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I'm concerned about Mad Max because I want to enjoy it, but I have never enjoyed vehicular combat.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Hermano wrote: »
    I think Mad Max looks pretty good, and a lot of the mixed reception it got was people expecting it to be exactly like the movie, which was never going to happen

yeah I feel like a lot of the criticism I heard was "It's not what I was expecting"

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    I love. Fallout. Only played 3 and new vegas but hooboy those games are my jam.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    That RPS writeup was interesting
    It praised the physics, which I never see video game driving praised for

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Mad Max looks like it has a lot of potential, and I really liked Mordor, but I am very leery of WB as a PC publisher after this year so it's definitely in the "Wait-and-see after I get done with backloggery" pile.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO