As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Open World Games

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Yo someone should coop Far Cry 4 with me.

What system

I'm keen to coop on PS4, I wanna get that Platinum

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Ps4 yo

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    How many of you in Morrowind saw the dude falling from the sky, looted him of these neat scrolls that Fortify Acrobatics by +1000 or so, then used it and flow off into the sky.

How many of you then had the presence of mind to cast a second one before you discovered that in a contest of chicken the ground always wins.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I'm also up for far cry 4 co-op

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    How many of you in Morrowind saw the dude falling from the sky, looted him of these neat scrolls that Fortify Acrobatics by +1000 or so, then used it and flow off into the sky.

How many of you then had the presence of mind to cast a second one before you discovered that in a contest of chicken the ground always wins.

I had a better idea: slowfall.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular

I just enchanted a ring and flew everywhere all the time.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I'll send ya a friend request pipe.
    I'm also up for far cry 4 co-op

Yo, I'm already on your list. I just didn't want to bust into your game. I'll keep this in mind next time I see ya playing.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I'd be fine with coop, but I'm on PC

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I just want hang out with Hurk
    That dude's a hoot

Also, some of the latter stuff is really, really hard

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Mad Max is competent at everything that it does. It has all the elements you'd expect from a game based on the franchise — violent combat, intense vehicular chases and battles and a grim world where everything that can go wrong will. It checks all the boxes for a modern open-world game too, from a sprawling 30-hour campaign to a giant map littered with hundreds of sidequests and bonus objectives.

Yet there's a feeling that pervaded my time with Mad Max, a sense of everything in the game being ... okay. The films that developer Avalanche Studios are ostensibly drawing from are driven by ambition. They build visions of a world shaped by off-the-wall absurdity and chaos. This Mad Max, by comparison, feels safe and, frankly, boring.

...The film franchise has always transcended the summer blockbuster genre, providing worlds and characters and scenarios that have stuck in my mind. Mad Max the game is the opposite; it's got chase scenes and big explosions and bloody fights, but nothing to remember it for. In spite of some annoying technical issues and questionable design, Mad Max is functional, but it's fluff, plain and simple.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/8/31/9190443/mad-max-review-ps4-playstion-4-xbox-one-pc-windows
    5/10

6F32U1X.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    the link isn't loading for me right now, but GameInformer gave it a 7.5

So it's scoring in roughly the area I expected

5/10 for Okay?

That seems silly.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Why is that silly? It's at the halfway mark of the scale.

Anyway finally got the GI link to load

Hilariously, it seems more negative in tone than that 5/10 from Polygon
    http://www.gameinformer.com/games/mad_max/b/playstation4/archive/2015/08/31/desert-sessions-in-repetition.aspx

This is why I like the 5 star system more than the 10/20

Because with an out of 10 people jump to school grades, where a 5 is failing

2.5 - 3 stars is "yeah this is fine"

6F32U1X.png
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    5/10 for Okay?

That seems silly.
    5/10 is ok. But an ok video game review score is normally 8/10. And god help the game dev whose game gets a 6/10.

• Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    when 7/10 is your middle ground the scoring system you use is broken

At the end of the day, Max overtook some bases, ran a couple hundred cars off the road, met some forgettable characters, and buried his fist into the sunburnt skin of the villainous locals. Was it worth the effort? That ultimately depends on how much fun you had in performing these basic, repetitious open-world activities.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/mad_max/b/playstation4/archive/2015/08/31/desert-sessions-in-repetition.aspx
    Some interesting characters, impressive environments and great car combat draw you in and incentivise you to keep going, but it's when you get out of the car that things fall apart. Mad Max's combat system is too dumbed down to enjoy, and repetitive activities such as searching for scrap and invading small enemy camps gets old fast. Mad Max offers some great experiences, but for a game that tries to impose the realities of survival on you, it does a poor job of following up on this pressure. Mad Max is too focused on providing you with an open-world that's filled with missions, and not focused enough on making those missions worth your time.

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/mad-max-review/1900-6416232/
    The film franchise has always transcended the summer blockbuster genre, providing worlds and characters and scenarios that have stuck in my mind. Mad Max the game is the opposite; it's got chase scenes and big explosions and bloody fights, but nothing to remember it for. In spite of some annoying technical issues and questionable design, Mad Max is functional, but it's fluff, plain and simple.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/8/31/9190443/mad-max-review-ps4-playstion-4-xbox-one-pc-windows
    Mad Max is a juxtaposition of exciting, thrilling fun set in a world of disgusting, primal depravity – like a singing telegram informing you of a death in the family, or an ice-cream cake with your terminal test results written in frosting. It’s a conflicting place of despair, a personal playground of explosive action and compulsive, unending progression that I can’t wait to get back to, and one hell of a ride.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/08/31/mad-max-review

6F32U1X.png
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I was kinda expecting the reviews to be along these lines, which is why I didn't pull the trigger till I got it for 30 bucks. From the videos I watched I'll get my moneys worth out of it even if I don't finish, then it'll be off to MG5

Cabezone on
    This seems like a terrific time to mention that Mad Max will be available in Redbox

6F32U1X.png
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Yup that's exactly how I feel about it

It is a solid slightly above average game with a cool setting and is totally worth 30 bucks during the next Summer or Winter doldrums

CYpGAPn.png
    Most of the reactions I've seen boil down to "5 outta 10? Ouch, guess I'll be skippimg it"

And from Polygon's own site:
    A score of five indicates a bland, underwhelming game that's functional but little else. These games might still possess quirks or aspects that appeal to certain players.

Functional but little else doesn't sound like a good middle point. But this is why review scores are dumb, and plain words are better.

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    when 7/10 is your middle ground the scoring system you use is broken

That reminds me of the evaluation I had to do for my boss on a 0-6 scale, 6 was 'all the time', 0 was 'never' and 1 was 'often' :?

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Yup that's exactly how I feel about it

It is a solid slightly above average game with a cool setting and is totally worth 30 bucks during the next Summer or Winter doldrums

Gmg has it for 36. Until the energy of tonight, I guess

Fencingsax on
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Most of the reactions I've seen boil down to "5 outta 10? Ouch, guess I'll be skippimg it"

And from Polygon's own site:
    A score of five indicates a bland, underwhelming game that's functional but little else. These games might still possess quirks or aspects that appeal to certain players.

Functional but little else doesn't sound like a good middle point. But this is why review scores are dumb, and plain words are better.

You probably should skip a 5 out of 10 game. There are so many good ones out there that unless you really, really, really want the specific experience this one gives (even if it doesn't do it great) you shouldn't waste your time.

"Functional but little else" is just another way to say the only positive thing you can say about it is that it works, and that there aren't significant negatives in regards to content to bump it any lower. Sounds like a fine middle ground to me. Nothing worse than middle of the road.

Aistan on
    It tells me it's not buggy and I can drive a harpoon car around in the wasteland.....I'm OK with just that.

"These games might still possess quirks or aspects that appeal to certain players."

So basically, sounds accurate to me.

I mean, I disagree but to each their own.

If it's functional,it's infinitely better than Arkham Knight on PC

• DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Well my copy of Mad Max is already in the mail so there's no going back now.

But honestly I wasn't expecting a great story or clever misisons or anything, I expected a lot of punching people and driving cars, and if those things are fun then that game is exactly what I expected and wanted it to be.

and if there is any video game review site that I safely ignore time and time again it's polygon

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    To be honest your open world game has to be pretty shitty for me not to throw down 20-30 on it and give it a spin.

• CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    I'm enjoying what I've played of Mad Max. Combat is meaty, map is big, and the customisation is pretty deep.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Curiously, the pretty-reliable Eurogamer didn't hate Mad Max, going so far as to give it a 'recommended' rating (they don't use scores any more, you only get text unless it's good or really good).

forumsig.png
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »

I had emergency pants that did basically the same thing.

broken image link
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Arriving somewhat late to the party, I've finally started Shadow of Mordor. This is quite fun.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
    My biggest problem with Mordor is it eventually felt like I was M. Bision from the Street Fighter Movie.

"The day the gravewalker killed your boys and cut off your hand was the most important day of your life. For me, it was Tuesday."

Seriously orcs would show up and yell how I ruined their life and I'd just be like "who are you? "

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Morrowind is a game I really wish I had played when it was first released, because I would have loved it to death. But I first tried to play it years later and could never get over the clunkiness.

• TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »

I had emergency pants that did basically the same thing.

I flew via spells, but had trousers enchanted with permanent Slowfall as a safety precaution.

My parachute pants.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
    I hope the next Witcher game let's you make your own Witcher, complete with more choice in weapons and spells. I mean, I like Geralt but I wanna be me.

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    I hope the next Witcher game let's you make your own Witcher, complete with more choice in weapons and spells. I mean, I like Geralt but I wanna be me.

I dunno, I enjoyed playing "what would Geralt do in this situation?", instead of "what would random create a character #125897 do?"

Fully customizable is cool and all, but I don't think every single rpg needs to go down that road.