As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

• Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    Of course, the warehouse map they made for the new game mode is pretty shitty.

I'm sure tf2maps is on the case.

It looks like they got jump pads to work reliably too, I'll have to decompile to figure out what they did.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Eh, 10 months is a good run.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm glad there's a beta for a new mode before the beta for the other new mode is even finished.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Yypfxgc.png

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Really glad the Suigin changes got through, they really do make a big difference.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    xzzy wrote: »

It looks like they got jump pads to work reliably too, I'll have to decompile to figure out what they did.

Trigger_catapult, dragged over from Portal. Woo!

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Someone needs to get on porting all the BR maps to TF2. Like the stadium one.

And also a map where you get more points if you actually dunk the ball in the goal instead of just shooting it in.

I assume rift is going to get ported to it?

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    This is the first time I've actually been curious about a beta thing

...How do I get to beta servers again?

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    go to quickplay, click the "beta maps" checkbox on the bottom... bam
    They got rid of TF2 Beta and started up beta maps and modes in the game

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm just curious as to whether or not they have any grand design for TF2 besides a dumping ground for undeveloped ideas. And hats. So many hats.

Shit, what is Valve even doing these days besides sucking up Steam money? There's been Source 2 rumors for years now, and yet another E3 went by without a mention. The last big game they did was Dota 2, which wasn't even their own thing.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I mentioned a halfassed map in the last thread. Now I make good on my threat with cp_sashay.

Here's the deal: there are Important Things in some misbegotten canyon mysteriously shaped like blocks rendered by a dyspeptic Nintendo 64. RED and BLU would like to secure these Important Things, but sadly they are very complicated and require a great deal of computing power to establish control over. So RED and BLU have filled a few rooms in their bases with computers (allegedly... they are apparently very small computers). But, spytech being what it is, everything that can be made, can be unmade... and therefore they have installed remote jamming devices to disrupt the enemy's computers. Perfectly identical remote jammers. It has produced a bit of an impasse.

So, to review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLnnbKESJTc

Run across the ductwork over the Token Death Pit!
    Deactivate the enemy Jamming Device <capture the first control point>!
    Pass through the Badly-Lit Caves on the way back to your own base! (or don't)
    Ascend the staircase to the Computer room and wait for them to boot up <capture the second control point>!
    Crawl through the Cavern Of Looking At The Place Where You Crossed The Ductwork Over The Token Death Pit, But On The Other Side Of The Map!
    And finally, shimmy your way over the Scaffolding Of Extremely Perilous Elevation and grasp the Important Thing in your hands <capture the third control point>!

How will you proceed through this bizarrely-arranged environment? The choice is yours, and yours alone! Good luck...

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    PMAvers wrote: »
    I assume rift is going to get ported to it?

Past tense. The motherfucker already did it. I'll see about getting it for Friday.

Also..

So there's a hidden easteregg room on the new map.
    qGeYQTw.jpg

Here it is in full bright:
    p00BzMj.jpg

Those backpacks look awfully familiar to me:
    (this is from TFC)

I could just be connecting it because it's green, though.

• Options
    Some sort of monster/alien/lizard head in that bag. The green bags definitely feel like tfc, or even the military concept that tf2 took in its development. I like the mouse trap and hooked along the wall, which seems to be a running joke in some of the official maps (goldrush? I can't remember offhand).
    The film reels look most interesting to me, the noticeable blue reels in weird places might be standard for the piece, not sure.

Best part of the update map is that your can build a sentry on the scoreboard

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I was thinking it was one of the TFClassic Crew's helmets in the bag, but none of them look quite right.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Some sort of monster/alien/lizard head in that bag.

u9Cx37f.jpg

It looks a lot like one of the fish heads worn by a certain wizard...

demoman_merasmus.jpg

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I'm just curious as to whether or not they have any grand design for TF2 besides a dumping ground for undeveloped ideas. And hats. So many hats.

Shit, what is Valve even doing these days besides sucking up Steam money? There's been Source 2 rumors for years now, and yet another E3 went by without a mention. The last big game they did was Dota 2, which wasn't even their own thing.

someone's got to count all that money

no, for real, Valve is an anarchist commune, what they make and when it comes out is determined entirely by how interested people are to work on it

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    UEAKCrash wrote: »

is this a function you simply couldn't do in tf2 before the valve guys imported some code from a different game, or is the portal function just made out of parts already available in the TF2 stuff?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    UEAKCrash wrote: »

is this a function you simply couldn't do in tf2 before the valve guys imported some code from a different game, or is the portal function just made out of parts already available in the TF2 stuff?

It was a function that was not in the TF2 branch at all. Same as the linked portals entity that allows for some crazy level design. Seriously, you guys don't even want to know the sheer mind fuckery I could do to you if I had that as an option.

• Options
    Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    qFJnA7p.jpg

• Options
    Petition to change thread ownership to Bear so he can fill the OP with Star Trek aliens.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    I feel like a stick in the mud because I don't care for the halloween updates or new game modes.

• Options
    I, for one, welcome new game modes since they usually add new things to the game engine for Crash to screw around with. Which leads to everyone being entertained longer.

Something I wonder how well would work is running pass_warehouse in medieval mode. Getting rid of sentries might be nice, but it would probably lead to a problem of a gaggle of scouts flying around the map unchecked.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Scouts ruin everything.

I think pass_warehouse would be fun with soldiers and demos only.. rocket jump and sticky jumper only, base jumper only. Melee slot is unrestricted.

Also give the map more open space, there's too much prop spam at the moment.

• Options
    EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    I like Halloween events when the map accommodates a lot of messing around. Helltower Halloween was some of the most fun I've had in the game.

• Options
    Scouts ruin everything.

I think pass_warehouse would be fun with soldiers and demos only.. rocket jump and sticky jumper only, base jumper only. Melee slot is unrestricted.

Slightly lower gravity (I dunno, 400 or so?) more jump pads, a few (many) death pits.. and the ability to shoot some sort of disc at opponents.. that's what I would do to it

• Options
    Last Halloween's event was pretty bad, but when you're working with sd_doomsday what do you expect?

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    it makes me seem like a fun hater, but i hate 'messing around' maps and modes.

the game is mostly fun to me when i'm playing at least semi-seriously against friends and other skilled players. if i jump around pointlessly and kill people on a map where no one is really trying then there's no satisfaction.

i can do it once in a while, but very infrequently.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    So, as is typical, I realized that I'd completely forgotten to rig Sashay with time extensions for point captures. So I did that. I also decided that, by god, if I was going to say that there were Jamming Devices, Computer Rooms, and Important Things, then there should be Jamming Devices, Computer Rooms, and Important Things in the map. The surroundings near the Control Points have been adjusted accordingly. Also, I reduced the capture time on the points (from a heightened value, mind you), because I figure the default is better than an overlong capture.

It's available here.

That should be the final revision before Friday.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    WeX MajorsWeX Majors 8th Floor, MegashipRegistered User regular
    Scouts ruin everything.

Slightly lower gravity (I dunno, 400 or so?) more jump pads, a few (many) death pits.. and the ability to shoot some sort of disc at opponents.. that's what I would do to it

Soooo you're looking for
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr4dlEBWez8

(this is a good idea and should be done)

• Options
    WeX MajorsWeX Majors 8th Floor, MegashipRegistered User regular
    These are the sort of videos that drive me nuts, because they make it seem so fucking easy to do this type of shit that even *I* can pull it off.
    This is how I thought it would be a good idea to try being a Spy with Y.E.R. equipped. It went about as well as you would think.

• Options
    I like the new game mode, though I'm still figuring out how some classes fit into it.

Snipers don't seem very useful, and scouts, soldiers, and demomen are of course MVPs.

Does seem to have the same problem as CTF where a bored engi sitting in front of the goal greatly increases your teams chances of winning.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    For those of you with 15 year old computers, someone modded TF2 into GoldSrc (the precursor to Source):

http://www.moddb.com/mods/chicken-fortress-3

Apparently they chose to use orange as their main map.

• Options
  • Options
    I missed it, but there's been a couple of additional updates over the last day or two to fix bugs.

An update to Team Fortress 2 has been released. The update will be applied automatically when you restart Team Fortress 2. The major changes include:
    Updated LODs for the revolver
    PASS Time update
    Fixed a client crash related to the HUD
    Fixed the Short Circuit being used to remove the Jack from the game
    Fixed players being able to pick-up the Jack while they have weapons deployed that cannot be holstered
    Updated pass_warehouse
    Fixed players getting into enemy spawn rooms
    Fixed the Jack being thrown into spawn rooms
    Fixed being able to build in the goals

An update to Team Fortress 2 has been released. The update will be applied automatically when you restart Team Fortress 2. The major changes include:
    Fixed a PASS Time sound bug related to carrying the Jack

Fixed an issue with the Festive Revolver not drawing correctly
    Updated the materials for the Australium Minigun
    PASS Time update
    Fixed disguised Spies not having a shield drawn for them in the HUD
    Fixed players being able to carry the jack while taunting (fixes an exploit with The Eureka Effect)
    Fixed being able to 'inspect' the jack while players are carrying it
    Fixed capturing the jack not incrementing Scout contract points
    Updated pass_warehouse
    Fixed a hole near the RED goal
    Fixed some props where the jack could get stuck
    Changed some small health kits to medium

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    "func_nerd" is pretty good

• Options
    Kilroy wrote: »
    "func_nerd" is pretty good

That's my title on TF2Maps. :)

Some Overgrown stuff:
    Part 1 of the stream highlights, basically just snagged the start of the stream where I explain the plans for the 72hr contest weekend. Thought this would be good for those who missed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCvljwQz4Ew

Also, Overgrown on the workshop! Like and subscribe or whatever the hell it's all called. Helps get the map out there.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    do people even play orange

is that still happening

• Options
    Yes, orange is still out there. It has a lot of descendants too, people trying to make it "more balanced" or doing detail passes on it.

But it's still the same shitty map.

• Options
    HoNC HoNC!

X22wmuF.jpg