As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Talk about [Wrestling] While I Plot My Escape From Disneyland

• Options
    411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    Skwigelf wrote: »
    In other Dudley-related news, I wonder if we're going to find out who took out Bully Ray on Impact. Y'know, seeing as Bully Ray is still listed on the TNA roster 4 days after showing up on RAW and announcing they signed a long term deal.

I find it harder and harder to remember that TNA still exists.

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    Depending on how far ahead the pre-taped events are we may experience a Rick Rude situation where Bully Ray is on both companies shows.

• Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    Kreutz wrote: »
    Depending on how far ahead the pre-taped events are we may experience a Rick Rude situation where Bully Ray is on both companies shows.

IIRC, Bully Ray wasn't on the most recent tapings. He basically showed up, took one look at the sorry state the company was in, and nope'd right the fuck out of there.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    TNA is Dixie sitting in one office trying to coordinate a mess

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    He came back for one or two weeks to be their GM, and then bailed 2 weeks later (a month ago). They wrote him out by basically saying he was attacked by
    Chris Mordetzky from GFW (formerly Chris Masters from WWE) so Jarrett could become GM and do a GFW vs TNA feud

I hate that I remember all of that

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    As far as attitude era bellwethers for insane bumps and reckless endangerment, I'd think Angle/Shane from KotR takes the cake. It was my favorite match at the time, but it is hard to watch now, especially knowing just how injured those guys were by thr dumb shit like overhead suplexes through non-gimmicked glass, and head first crashes into concrete when said glass wouldn't break.

One of my other favorite brutal matches is entering queasy territory as well: Danielson vs. McGuinness at ROH United. The story-telling is still great, but Nigel's head turning into ground beef at the end of the bout is terrifying considering how quickly his career ended from doing that shit to himself.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    So will the Dudleys be doing the creepy thing where they spend a month obsessing over a woman in the WWE and then slam that woman into a table like they did during the attitude era?

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Seg wrote: »
    So will the Dudleys be doing the creepy thing where they spend a month obsessing over a woman in the WWE and then slam that woman into a table like they did during the attitude era?
    Probably not!

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited August 2015

"During the attitude era"

like Bully Ray didn't spend months obsessing with putting Dixie through a table in [BIGFOOT WRESTLING LEAGUE]

Edit: that joke backfired, because now i want bigfoot wrestling

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
    To be fair, I imagine a lot of people working for [MYSTERY WRESTLE VORTEX] probably would wanna put her through a table at some point.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    blank please do not sully the good name of mystery vortex by association with That Company

• Options
    Kilroy wrote: »
    blank please do not sully the good name of mystery vortex by association with That Company
    Wait is that seriously a wrestling thing

Maybe I subconsciously remembered it from seeing it in here because I have no idea what that is

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    It's a show in PWG where none of the matches are announced before the show iirc

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »

"During the attitude era"

like Bully Ray didn't spend months obsessing with putting Dixie through a table in [BIGFOOT WRESTLING LEAGUE]

Edit: that joke backfired, because now i want bigfoot wrestling

I'm sorry do you not remember BEARRICADE

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    So considering that Florida's in a state of emergency, Raw's in Tampa Monday, and the tropical storm's set to be in Tampa Monday, are they going to end up having to do another Raw from WWE HQ?

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I feel like the answer to "will it be like the Attitude era?" is always "no"

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    I had a dream last night I met dusty rhodes in a best buy and we talked about the big boss man, for some reason

There was other, weirder stuff bookending it but that was a bizarre interlude

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Observer Live has had King of Trios preview interviews all this week, featuring Kevin Condron, Eddie Kingston, MAX SMASHMASTER and Juan Francisco de Coronado. I don't know who they're going to have on today but it's probably going to be somebody.

• Options
    SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    Well, it's probably because if anyone knows about hard times, it's Dusty and Boss Man.

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    So considering that Florida's in a state of emergency, Raw's in Tampa Monday, and the tropical storm's set to be in Tampa Monday, are they going to end up having to do another Raw from WWE HQ?

Its the perfect time for The Hurricane to return to RAW!

• Options
    cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Whippy wrote: »
    I had a dream last night I met dusty rhodes in a best buy and we talked about the big boss man, for some reason

I actually met Booker T in a Best Buy and we talked about Junkyard Dog. This was like a month after he wrestled HHH for the title at Wrestlemania 19. Booker's a cool guy.

• Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    cr0w wrote: »
    Whippy wrote: »

I actually met Booker T in a Best Buy and we talked about Junkyard Dog. This was like a month after he wrestled HHH for the title at Wrestlemania 19. Booker's a cool guy.

The only wrestler or celeb for that matter I have ever met outside of a planned appearance was the Million Dollar Man. I was behind him in line for Food at a Disney Resort. I was actually surprised at how big he was up close, considering for a wrestler he was never really all that huge. Hands like dinner plates.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    CorporateRedCorporateRed Wooooooo! Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Question: has there ever been a tag titles ladder match where two members of different teams are either both dangling from the belts and manage to unhook them and fall or get to them at the same time and thus have to share the title together and essentially form a new tag team?

Seems like a potentially fun story

That almost happened in one of the TLC matches. Christian and Matt Hardy were on top of a table that was propped up on two ladders and were fighting over the belts.

Unfortunately it ended with Christian knocking Matt off the table and grabbing the titles.

edit: it was WM2000 and it was just a ladder match(that happened to involve tables). And it was Edge knocking Matt off the table. At least I got some of it right!

Was that the time Edge just kind of swiped near Hardy and he launched himself off in a ridiculous manner?

Steam ID: Corporate Red
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular

That X-Pac story at the end...shit.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Question: has there ever been a tag titles ladder match where two members of different teams are either both dangling from the belts and manage to unhook them and fall or get to them at the same time and thus have to share the title together and essentially form a new tag team?

Seems like a potentially fun story

That almost happened in one of the TLC matches. Christian and Matt Hardy were on top of a table that was propped up on two ladders and were fighting over the belts.

Unfortunately it ended with Christian knocking Matt off the table and grabbing the titles.

edit: it was WM2000 and it was just a ladder match(that happened to involve tables). And it was Edge knocking Matt off the table. At least I got some of it right!

Was that the time Edge just kind of swiped near Hardy and he launched himself off in a ridiculous manner?

Yeah, it looked like they wanted to do something more but the table set up was so precarious that they probably just called an audible and went with the buttshove.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Paul Hayman's Smackdown was ludicrously filled with week-in-week-out ladder matches. It was crazy nuts.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    In addition to Kana, WWE has apparently signed Athena, who I know nothing about but I'm sure someone here will.

Also, "kayfabe" has been added to the dictionary. And "awesomesauce", because humanity is doomed.

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    411Randle wrote: »
    In addition to Kana, WWE has apparently signed Athena, who I know nothing about but I'm sure someone here will.

Also, "kayfabe" has been added to the dictionary. And "awesomesauce", because humanity is doomed.

Athena is great, and has one of the coolest finishers around, the O-Face:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KklKZGWKBrA

• Options
    It seems that NXT wants to really inject some life in their women's division. I'm excited!

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I'm so conflicted on Kana. I never heard of her until now and looked up her matches. She's actually very cute and a bad ass.
    and Mai Waifu as of now (poor attempt at ironic humor)

Artoria on
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    411Randle wrote: »

Athena is great, and has one of the coolest finishers around, the O-Face:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KklKZGWKBrA

Looks nice but like something that would be easy to botch.

• Options
    dragonsama wrote: »
    I'm so conflicted on Kana. I never heard of her until now and looked up her matches. She's actually very cute and a bad ass.
    and Mai Waifu as of now

Don't call people your "waifu"

Don't be that guy.

2ohWien.png
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    I fucking hate the waifu thing so much

• Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Ms Dapper wrote: »
    dragonsama wrote: »
    and Mai Waifu as of now

Don't call people your "waifu"

Don't be that guy.

I was doing it for humor, IE I was waifuing ironicly. Sorry that joke feel flat on it's face. :(

Artoria on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Don't worry. When he says it to Kanna he wont be able to say it ever again when she kicks his jaw to it rotates 180 degrees around his head.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Considering how often "my husband" is kicked around here, that reaction seemed unnecessary.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    Considering how often "my husband" is kicked around here, that reaction seemed unnecessary.

the two terms are not equivalent

"waifu" is an inherently infantilizing and objectifying word. It carries with it a level of disrespect similar to referring to women wrestlers as "the girls"

• Options
    The term "my waifu" is based around an engrish version of "my wife" and I might be reading way to much into it but putting that to a real Japanese person kind of wigs me out.

2ohWien.png
  • Options
    HjorvarthrHjorvarthr Registered User regular
    EDBW is live and the opener tonight is Saria vs Medusa!

This discussion has been closed.