As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Can an HOA do this?

Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my worldRound Rock, TXRegistered User regular
I guess let me start by saying they haven't tried this yet, but I have a feeling it's coming. This is in Texas. Some background:

So this is what my portion of our neighborhood looks like:

vpr2w9wgtemv.png

That football shaped area is actually part of the yards of the 5 houses in the lower right of the picture. It's on our surveys and we pay taxes on it. The private driveway was put in before we moved in and is not a city street.

The HOA has historically paid for maintenance on this area even though it is private property. They do this to promote a uniform appearance so it maintains their standards or whatever. We received a letter in the mail today kinda saying they didn't want to pay for it anymore since it's "discriminatory", but would be making a decision on how to proceed at the next quarterly meeting of the board and were asking for "alternatives". Now currently, even though it is considered private property of 5 different houses, to my knowledge it isn't enforced in any way. Neighborhood kids will play in it or whatever and as far as I know (definitely for us anyway), no one says anything.

Now my question is if they decide to have a lawn service mow it and bill us, can they legally do that? I believe they can if we violate their rules regarding maintenance and do it as needed, but just sign up a regular service? If it becomes our responsibility, I would just have our lawn service add it in and pay whatever little extra, but I'm curious what legal right they actually have regarding service.

I have a feeling they would want to avoid making it our individual responsibilities because it won't all get mowed at the same time, but that's their problem, IMO. Just curious if anyone has any experience or knowledge on how much power HOAs actually have.

• Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    I'm not positive (and not a lawyer but live in a development with an HOA) but if it's your property and they are going to stop paying to have it mowed I suspect they can't just do it and bill you without at least giving you a chance to maintain it yourself.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    If they shift the cost of maintenance to the homeowners, I should hope they plan to also lower the association fee accordingly.

Otherwise, yeah, if they vote to do something they can and surely will do it. You should go to the meeting and raise every concern you have, preferably with the presence of the other affected homeowners or at least a group signed letter with the concerns spelled out in as much detail as possible.

davidsdurions on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    What your HOA can do is entirely based on what the terms of the contract you signed when you bought the house says it can do. It can be pretty much anything up to seizing your house but short of actual criminal charges (probably.)

Since that land is pretty much completely unusable with the HOA hanging over it (they won't let you sell it or build a shed on it I'd wager), you should talk with them about just donating it to the HOA so it's owned in common and then they can shut up about paying to maintain it.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Daenris wrote: »
    I'm not positive (and not a lawyer but live in a development with an HOA) but if it's your property and they are going to stop paying to have it mowed I suspect they can't just do it and bill you without at least giving you a chance to maintain it yourself.

That's what I'm hoping. I would think it would be like me having someone mow my neighbor's yard and billing him for it, but I don't know if HOA's have that much power.
    If they shift the cost of maintenance to the homeowners, I should hope they plan to also lower the association fee accordingly.

Their argument, which I don't really dispute, is that they're currently using neighborhood funds to maintain private property, so I don't see that happening. The thing that kinda bothers me is they're considering it private property insofar as maintaining it, but we would basically have to go out and yell "you kids get off my lawn" to get our benefit from it being private since it's not obvious. We can't fence it or put up signs or anything like that.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    My HOA mows all lawns and has it but into the dues, for whatever that's worth.

They can do a whole lot of stuff.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Can they charge different residents different dues?

• Options
    My neighbor is awesome. Part of his response to the board:
    After consulting with my attorney on the public use of the 5 private lots on [REDACTED], we are left with only two options.
    1. The HOA would purchase this land and make it common property.
    2. The home owners post it and fence it as private property.

The home owners are liable for injuries and accidents that may occur on this land. It is considered an "Attractive Nuisance" . I would suggest it be posted for "No Trespassing" immediately until an agreement is made.

Those are probably the 2 best options for everyone, but I'm not sure how the first would work. I really like the idea of the second option. :mrgreen:

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular

Mine does, based on land size.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    My neighbor is awesome. Part of his response to the board:
    After consulting with my attorney on the public use of the 5 private lots on [REDACTED], we are left with only two options.
    1. The HOA would purchase this land and make it common property.
    2. The home owners post it and fence it as private property.

The home owners are liable for injuries and accidents that may occur on this land. It is considered an "Attractive Nuisance" . I would suggest it be posted for "No Trespassing" immediately until an agreement is made.

Those are probably the 2 best options for everyone, but I'm not sure how the first would work. I really like the idea of the second option. :mrgreen:

That's pretty much the perfect response to a HOA. You have the reasonable option up front and the scary "Well, if you want to go down this road..." option after make the first one seem more reasonable. Really the only question is if any of you five is going to insist on more than a token payment for the land, that might make them grumble a bit.

Also, don't bring up the question of tax reassessment until after it's done.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular

fundamentally the answer is YES but only if you fail to provide the services yourself

an HOA can set standards, enforce those standards, and, if the resident fail to adhere, they can carry out the maintenance of the property and then place a lien against your home in that amount

what SHOULD happen is that the HOA has to give you the opportunity to work it out with the other owners to maintain the space on your own accord

what should not happen is that they summarily give you a bill with no chance to resolve the matter yourself (e.g., just go out there with your own lawnmower or whatever)

with all this being said, it sounds like your best option is to get a lawyer and sell the property in question to the land management company and just wash your hands of it, unless you're really attached to that slab of concrete.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I really don't understand why HOA's have the power they do. If i ever get around to building my dream house its sure as hell not going to have an HOA.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    A lot of times if you want a newer house, you don't really have a choice, unfortunately, unless you buy a bunch of land out in the middle of nowhere.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    I really don't understand why HOA's have the power they do. If i ever get around to building my dream house its sure as hell not going to have an HOA.

HOA's are created to protect the property value of the collective

The entire idea is to defend your investment in your home by preventing other people from fucking up their properties and bringing down the neighborhood

sometimes they over-reach, this would be one of those times

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

It -can- be pretty helpful. Example: In the coop I live in, since hiring a decent manager, we have successfully removed several dealers from the collective. Which does wonders for lowering theft and vandalism!

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    HOAs tend to overreach once there happens to be senior members in the community.

But it appears in this case it's just run by a bunch of assholes. There's really not a whole lot you can do other than move or attempt to sue them.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    I gota say, I kinda feel for all parties on this one because that is a really fucked up piece of land for a "front lawn".

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    I gota say, I kinda feel for all parties on this one because that is a really fucked up piece of land for a "front lawn".

It's actually kind of cool because we have normal front yards for the area and then that big area past the driveway.

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    That land looks prime for playing in the yard type stuff.

Too bad no one plays in the yard anymore.

• Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular

you mean you don't like having a de-facto level of government that answers to absolutely no one?