As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[pbp][Specter Ops]: Game Over - Agent Captured

Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
edited September 2015 in Critical Failures
Specter Ops: PBP
d8y94ateyvoz.png

Introduction:
Specter Ops is a hidden movement game from PlaidHat games. One player takes control of an agent, secretly moving around the facility (marking movement on a hidden sheet), while the rest of the players move hunters around trying to capture the agent.

Rules:
The Rule Book is posted on Plaid Hat’s Website:
http://www.plaidhatgames.com/images/games/specter-ops-shadow-of-babel/rules.pdf

For a quick overview, each turn will be defined by:
The Agent’s move:
First the agent will mark their move on their sheet. They can move four spaces (diagonal movement is allowed). If they crossed a hunters’ field of vision, they place a Last Seen token in the square that they were last seen. If they end their turn in the hunters’ field of vision (incredibly rare), they put their figure on the board.

If they start their turn next to an objective, the complete it (and placing an objective complete token) before moving.

They can play an equipment card before or after moving. Most cards are revealed when they are played, some just announce that a card is being played, but not which card, and one card isn’t announced to players. Equipment cards are listed later on.

Agents cannot move through Hunters.

The Hunters’ move
The Hunters then move their hunters one at a time, in any order of their choosing. Hunters can move 4 squares a turn, including diagonals. (note that they can see only in straight lines). After moving, the hunter’s then check their lines of sight for the agent. If the agent is visible, their figure is placed on the board. Note that hunters can move through agents spaces, and may not know it unless that square is within their line of sight at the end of their move.

If the agent is visible, the hunter may fire a shot at them. The hunter rolls a d6. If the result is greater than or equal to the distance between the hunter and agent, the agent loses 1 hp. Rolling a 1 is an automatic failure. Rolling a 6 allows the hunter to roll again and sum the results (for long range shots).

Some Hunters have special abilities that may take the place of their movement.

Hunter Vision
Each hunter can see in a straight line for unlimited distance. If they are on the road, they can see down the entire road. They cannot see diagonals, and all obstacles block their lines of sight. Other hunters do not block line of sight.

Using the Car
Hunters may use the car. Entering and Exiting the Car ends the each hunter’s turn movement. They may enter or exit car from/to an adjacent space, or the same space as the car.

Inside the car, the hunter has a couple of extra actions. They may drive the car. The car can only go on roads, and it can only go 10 squares per the Hunter team’s turn.

The hunter inside the car may instead use the car’s motion sensor. An agent spends their entire turn to active the motion sensor. If the agent had more than 2 spaces on their previous turn, and the hunter uses the motion sensor, they must say which direction they are in relation to the car. Most of the time this is NE,NW,SE,SW but if the agent is in a direct line to the car it is N,S,W,E.

The car cannot be moved and motion detect on the same Hunter round.
The car can only move on roads.
Hunters cannot fire from the car.
The unoccupied car does not provide line of sight.

The Game ends when
-The agent completes 3 of 4 of their possible objectives and makes it to an escape point
-The agent is reduced to 0 hp
-The agent does not escape within 40 turns.

Hunters:
The Prophet - represented by Darkcyan
zu8kep0n7283.png

The Puppet - represented by Darkorange
eab3usdppmba.png

The Beast - represented Dodgerblue
zd0buw408sj8.png

Note that enhanced senses ignores obstacles, and detects in a 9x9 square centered around him (her?).

The Gun - represented by Goldenrod
wyy02z6jkgx6.png

Agents:
Each agent has their own special power, along with an equipment card that is unique to that character

The Blue Jay
w8o1og8gcs6g.png

The Cobra
0zx7usqxhn6j.png

The Orangutan
ipppfv57cbei.png

The Spider
flxopm6xpbsb.png

Agent Equipment Cards:
Cards that are revealed as they are played:
2 x Flash Bang: Reveal this card. Place the flash bang token on the board up to 4 spaces away from your agent's location. All hunters that can see the token lose their vision until the start of their turn. If your agent is visible at the start of their turn, put it on the board.
2 x Smoke Grenade: Reveal this card. Place a smoke grenade token up to 4 spaces away from your agent's location. Until the end of your next turn, all spaces within 1 space of that token block line of sight but not movement. Agent's sharing a space with a hunter are still visible to that hunter.

Cards that are not revealed, but an announcement is made that Agent has tapped a card
2 x Stealth Field: Do NOT reveal this card. Until the start of your next turn, your agent is only visible if it is within 2 spaces of a hunter. Rotate this card 90 degrees to show that it has been used.
2 x Adrenal Surge: Do NOT reveal this card. This turn you may move up to 6 spaces. Rotate this card 90 degrees to show that it has been used.

Character Specific Equipment Cards (note that the ones with two hex icons can be used twice per game) :
Holo-Decoy (Blue Jay only): Do NOT reveal this card. Place the last seen token on the board within 4 spaces of BlueJay's actual location. Use the movement sheet to secretly mark the round Holo Decoy was used.
Tangle Line (Spider only, two uses): Reveal this card. Choose a hunter that has line of sight to Spider and roll the die. If you roll equal to or higher than the distance to the chosen hunter, that hunter is stunned.
Power Fists (Orangutan only, two uses): Reveal this card. Place the Orangutan figure on the game board at his current location. All hunters within 2 spaces of Orangutan are stunned.
Velocity Blade (Cobra only, two uses): You may reveal this card when Cobra is being attacked. Until the start of your next turn, hunters get -3 to their die roll when attacking Cobra.

The Board/ Agent Movement Sheet
ql1546ht7o0o.jpg

mzgywr8mowvn.jpg

Signing Up:

We are going to play a 4 player game. One player will be the agent and the remaining three will play as the team of Hunters. Sign up in limegreen.

A few additional rules for 4-players:
-The car (and all the hunters) start in K23
-There is an additional escape point (at H1)
-The agent starts with 6 HP, (8 HP for the Orangutan)
-The agent gets 5 equipment cards instead of 3
-Objectives will be rolled on in secret.

I’m going to keep signups open for a bit, and then I’ll make rolls for everyone. Highest roll gets to be the agent, and the next three highest each get to select a Hunter. If you specifically do not want to be the agent, let me know during signups.

Steam
Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
3ds: 3282-2248-0453
Zombie Hero on

• KaneskiKaneski Registered User regular
    Like Plaidhat's work, so Sign up.

• EgosEgos Registered User regular

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular

Just read through the rules. Feels like a board game version of Invisible Inc.

Kaneski wrote: »
    Just read through the rules. Feels like a board game version of Invisible Inc.

Less salvaging a mission by having your one active agent drag all the dead agents back to the exit though.

• PredaPreda Registered User regular

• DaemonisDaemonis Registered User regular

• TrustTrust Registered User regular
    edited August 2015

Trust on
    We Stand Ready
  • Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Geth, roll 1d100 for Kaneski
    Geth, roll 1d100 for Egos
    Geth, roll 1d100 for discrider
    Geth, roll 1d100 for Preda
    Geth, roll 1d100 for Daemonis
    Geth, roll 1d100 for Trust

Kaneski:
    1d100 72 [1d100=72]
    Egos:
    1d100 34 [1d100=34]
    discrider:
    1d100 32 [1d100=32]
    Preda:
    1d100 86 [1d100=86]
    Daemonis:
    1d100 28 [1d100=28]
    Trust:
    1d100 18 [1d100=18]

Steam
    @Preda gets the highest number, so he will be the agent. Preda, pick out an agent and 5 equipment cards and PM me your selection. (the hunters don't find out who you've chosen until they spot you on the board)

The Hunters will be played by:
    @Kaneski
    @Egos
    @discrider

Talk it over and post which character you want.

Steam
    Dibs on The Prophet

I'll go with the Beast

e7bf4fc1f79ab0fa2ca338751ee84232.jpg

The Gun.

Okay, all the agents start in the car at K23.

The agent enters at N1.

The Red circle represents the last seen token (put at N1 as a formality, since you know that's where the agent entered.
    spafk2uyn001.png

Car: K23
    Inside the Car: Beast, Gun, Prophet

Alternatively, we could just use a blank sheet instead of the board, if everyone would prefer. let me know:
    4hbz1qqcd66r.png

Steam
    THE HUNT BEGINS!

Steam
    I reckon we move the car to N14, drop someone off in like L15 to investigate NW quadrant, someone gets out when the car stops, and someone who hasn't driven activates the motion sensor.

The hunters may move...

I'll probably be using the agent sheet more than colored map - the lighting of the full map makes a lot of obstacles and square refs hard to see.

Well... if agent is going for objective 1 area, he has to enter at J9 or L9 to get there on next turn (without using equipment). If he went NE, that's 2-3 rounds of movement anyway. So car to N14 and ping sounds good. I think I should remain in the car as long as possible - if we can guess a road crossing, I can park the car and wait for a quickdraw/snipe or force equipment use. So, I'm happy to do the motion sensor ping this round. I think we should drop someone off at K17 on the way.

discrider wrote: »
    I reckon we move the car to N14, drop someone off in like L15 to investigate NW quadrant, someone gets out when the car stops, and someone who hasn't driven activates the motion sensor.

the car can't use the motion sensor when it has moved that turn

Steam
    edited August 2015

the car can't use the motion sensor when it has moved that turn

What.. I thought the car couldn't use the motion sensor unless a hunter spent their entire movement doing it.

Edit: That note should be at the top of the motion sensor section instead of the bottom :(
    I guess we just drive around then.

discrider on
    I guess we just drive around then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09m0B8RRiEE

I'm thinking I'll stay in the car also, as my abilities are pretty passive compared to Gun's quick shooting and Beast's nose.

@Egos do you want to get out somewhere?

edited August 2015
    Ok then, let's get a move on, otherwise nothing will happen ever. If you want to stay in the car, I'll hope out and hunt.

GUN moves car to K17 and disembarks to K16.

Edit: Car has 4 moves left.

Kaneski on
    edited August 2015
    Seems like it would be best to put me slightly away from you guys, so I can hunt and you potentially corner.

I would say move the car to G16 or N16/016 (seems like it leaves more paths open for car) , but I'd imagine G16 might be better for me to go searching around abouts?

Egos on
    G16 commits all of us to the left side. if agent went right, G16 is 3-4 free turns for agent while we redeploy.

Kaneski wrote: »
    Ok then, let's get a move on, otherwise nothing will happen ever. If you want to stay in the car, I'll hope out and hunt.

GUN moves car to K17 and disembarks to K16.

Edit: Car has 4 moves left.

The Gun sees nothing.

Steam
    edited August 2015
    bleh tired, misread as the car getting to k16- alright with me moving car to m16 or n16 and getting off at m15 ,n15 or o16(i guess) , @kaneski ?

Egos on
    sounds good, @Egos

I think the hunters should just declare what they're doing and give hints to others about why. Otherwise each hunter turn will take forever.

Egos wrote: »
    bleh tired, misread as the car getting to k16- alright with me moving car to m16 or n16 and getting off at m15 ,n15 or o16(i guess) , @kaneski ?

I'm fine with whatever. I'll stay in the car and ping next turn or some such.

Move Car to N15 and get out at 015

Egos wrote: »
    Move Car to N15 and get out at 015

The beast sees nothing

Steam
    Post-Cog
    Move the car north one space and end turn in N14

Post-Cog
    Move the car north one space and end turn in N14

The prophet sees nothing.

TURN 2

Board:
    a2jmguvajzo1.png
    The beast is at O15
    The Gun is at K16
    The prophet is inside the car at N14.

The agent may move, @Preda

Steam
    Hunter may move.

So.. do I drive north or ping now

On the left, the agent will have only crossed the top road if they moved to J9 or L9.
    On the right, the agent won't have reached the lower road yet.
    Better for me to sit on the road and grant visibility than pinging I think.

Conditional orders to move car to N8, if @Kaneski does not want to gain visibility at L9 first (I'd suggest I13 over this though)

Beast will move 3 spots to R15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAZmHrtloD8

Prophet will drive to J8 which should give visibility to J9 and S8.
    The gun can check out the remaining L9. If J9 and L9 are clear, the agent is still in either top left or top right, and top left has to cross the road I'm on.

@Egos the Agent can only have moved as far as row 9 so far.. no point using your nose yet I think.

Moving to P19 , preferable?