As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tropical Storm Erika

AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk!The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
edited August 2015 in Debate and/or Discourse
WYRj7Op.jpg

Tropical Storm Erika is currently shuffling towards Puerto Rico after battering Dominica, causing flash floods due to the drought conditions in the region. Current tracking prediction is limited because the effects of the mountainous terrain of Puerto Rico, Hispanola, and Cuba as well as wind shearing add uncertainty to the ability of Erika to strengthen or indeed stay together over the next few days.

Z1hwzZb.jpg

TS Warnings and Watches as of 8/28 10:00 AM
yPPBOGV.jpg

Around 30 people are missing after flooding and wind damage on Dominica, and these figures will most likely rise. Tropical Storms and Hurricanes pose major risk for swimmers and anyone outside or in low lying areas. The storm surge is deadlier than the wind in most cases, and if you live near the coast or in an area projected to be affected by the storm please consult your local authorities and weather forecasts to know when to evacuate.

If the storm hits Florida, major rain will cause more flooding. This is particularly dangerous in the Tampa Bay area which has already been submitted to FEMA as a disaster area from last week's heavy rain. The ground is past its saturation point and many of the new communities have been built in flood plains which are now underwater.

map_specnewsdct-86_ltst_4namus_enus_980x551.jpg

Remember:

If the storm is outside, it's too late to leave!

Hurricanes and Tropical Storms can and do sprout tornadoes and wind damage increases around the eye of the storm. If the eye passes over you, the storm is not yet over!

This thread can be a place to track news and people who might be in the storm's path. Hopefully it dissapates over the weekend, but stay informed and stay safe! Emergency services may not be able to save you if they have to save themselves.

Pay attention to evacuation warnings and flood watches.

It'd be smart to have a supply of non perishable food, batteries, clean water, toiletries, medication and other supplies as power may go out and supply lines may be interrupted for a few days.

Try to stay dry, PA!

Lh96QHG.png
AManFromEarth on

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I moved away from Florida last year, but my parents and brother still live there in Palm Beach County. My parents have taken the usual precautions, and I'm sure my brother and his wife have too, but we've all been through that sort of thing so many times now. I think the last major hurricane that hit that area was Hurricane Isaac in 2012. It didn't have much of an effect on us where I lived, but the northwestern part of the county had a lot of flooding, including near where I worked.

Hopefully everyone gets through this OK.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    The good news is that barring something funky, it looks like Erica won't have the chance to develop into a super strong hurricane when it hits Florida and the Caribbean. She'll just be a rain maker since she's moving too fast to really grind up to a Katrina or Andrew level.

If it takes a turn out over open water before landfall that could change though.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    I'm in the target of this bastard; lived in south east hurricane ally whole life.

the good news is this- the storm dropped southwards and will now direct hit the Dominican Republic... historically the DR's terrain shears storms that are at TS or lower into complete dis-array. Past that - Weaker storms have an easier time breaching the tip of Fla and getting into the gulf which is why noa and all others are shifting tract west (they expect this storm to get wrekt sand be weaker just after the DR).

if it had tracked north-er of DR it would have been in prime growth country and Fla-NC were looking at a big hit (stronger = easter in these conditions).

Now.... the hope is she sheers apart and is a bad ts to depression by Florida, or skips onto the gulf and an unknown future. Well semi known.... there is a giant trough kind of between Texas and LA right now.... so Alabama/FLA panhandle would be next logical landfall..

As of the 8 am report all that is going exactly the way we want to avoid a major major storm.

If you are looking for good info check out-

http://www.spaghettimodels.com/
    http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Do we have any Caribbean posters who might be under the gun? Or people with family? Luckily everyone I know out on the islands is in good shape so far.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at5.shtml?5-daynl?large#contents

And its bearing out as I stated! She pushes further west in the 11 am update! this is good news.

So HOPE-fully we are out of the woods for a major cat hurricane- looking at a weak 1/ ts /heavy rain...

The key is her strength after passing the DR. Heres are various models- NOAA is red- they are generally middle of the road. Think of this as an indicator of what the next noaa model will look like.

storm_05.gif

i reaaaaaally do not like those model putting her far east or far west as both would indicate major strengthening prior to landfall (or even landing in florida, going back to sea and north towards the caolinas). but again- those are just guesses by people NOT NOAA.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Erika is barely still a TS. The NHC has had a hard time finding a closed circulation the past day or so, and Hispanola is probably going to shred anything that is actually there...assuming it ever actually makes that NW turn.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Erika is barely still a TS. The NHC has had a hard time finding a closed circulation the past day or so, and Hispanola is probably going to shred anything that is actually there...assuming it ever actually makes that NW turn.

it actually ejected its "core" yesterday when there was new circulation and kinda reformed.... just need her to break all the way the F up.

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    And this is happening right when I'm going away for vacation. I'm gonna be worrying about my house all trip. :/

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    My cousin recently married and moved to PR, I'm awaiting message from them to see if they are prepared. They are the type to just take off to Canada or something to avoid the storm so I'm sure they are fine. They have the means though, unlike the vast majority of people.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    And this is happening right when I'm going away for vacation. I'm gonna be worrying about my house all trip. :/
    Barring something crazy, the primary threat is a lot of a rain. Right now it's more of a question of if it holds together across the DR.
    My cousin recently married and moved to PR, I'm awaiting message from them to see if they are prepared. They are the type to just take off to Canada or something to avoid the storm so I'm sure they are fine. They have the means though, unlike the vast majority of people.
    Puerto Rico should be out of it already, besides some backside rain.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

So long as it is a low-level tropical storm, they should be fine. The major danger in them is flooding and wind damage to poorly built homes (i.e. why even low-level tropical storms can have major body tolls when they hit the Caribbean and Mexico).

If you live in a structurally sound house and aren't in a flood zone, a tropical storm is really nothing more than a long, particularly rainy thunderstorm. I've been through many of them, and the experience can usually be summed up as "That's it?"

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Yeah I just looked at the radar and it seems they are probably getting to the end of their rain where they live.

Could have been much rougher though.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Damn it's been a while since any storm actually hit Florida, I want to say Wilma was the last one? 2004 or 2005?

• Options
    Damn it's been a while since any storm actually hit Florida, I want to say Wilma was the last one? 2004 or 2005?

We've had plenty of hits, but they're minor. Katrina and Sandy both hit Florida first as weaker Cat 1s or Tropical Storms before gaining strength for their eventual strikes on NOLA and NYC.

We have been lucky to not have a major storm for many years.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    Probably not that important, but the misspelling in the thread title is driving me bonkers.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    gjaustin wrote: »
    Probably not that important, but the misspelling in the thread title is driving me bonkers.

I'm not seeing anny? Maybe its your Is.

more movement west.... looks like some amount of rain up all of Florida is the current track.

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »

more movement west.... looks like some amount of rain up all of Florida is the current track.

Post was edited at 2:30pm :)

• Options
    Whelp, it's confirmed. If we get a comp day for a hurricane and I am already on vacation I still loose leave time.

#ThanksErika:(

• Options
    mojojoeo wrote: »

Post was edited at 2:30pm :)

balderdush!

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Whelp, it's confirmed. If we get a comp day for a hurricane and I am already on vacation I still loose leave time.

wow that's shitty

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    My job won't decide whether to close the office until Monday morning probably.

Though by the time it gets to Tampa it should be just a bunch of rain.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Public University with on-campus housing and shelter responsibilities. They have to shut down all non-essential offices if we get flagged as the state-wide emergency management facility to make room for the law enforcement and FEMA people if necessary.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

Complain directly to HR. As a fellow university employee, that's the way these things usually get resolved.

• Options

Complain directly to HR. As a fellow university employee, that's the way these things usually get resolved.

Apparently it's state policy!

• Options
    Sister-in-law posted this on FB with great amusement:
    gj23pnd95y59.jpg

Yep, sounds about right. I had a coworker who had scheduled vacation time for a long weekend, and it just so happened that one of the big hurricanes of the year hit on the day she was off. It was pretty screwy.

• Options
    F8mvCRQ.gif

Looks like if the system survives Hispanola, it'll strengthen a bit before making US landfall somewhere between Sarasota and Fort Myers.

Maybe I'll get Monday off after all.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Haiti will probably get the worst of it. The land is so denuded that any major rainfall will lead to mudslides, flooding, and deaths.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Sister-in-law posted this on FB with great amusement:
    gj23pnd95y59.jpg

Yep, sounds about right. I had a coworker who had scheduled vacation time for a long weekend, and it just so happened that one of the big hurricanes of the year hit on the day she was off. It was pretty screwy.

Can you cancel vacation time?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Panhandle checking in here. Really need this thing to not hang out I the gulf and rev back up. Really don't want to have to live at the station for several days.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Huh. This is the fourth anniversary of Irene mucking our shit up.

Keeping the PA folks in my thoughts for this one.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    East coast Florida here, space coast, just south of Cape Canaveral. Been watching Ericka for what feels like 10 years now. Just waiting for the damn thing to fall apart like Danny... just do it already! I'm still shell shocked from 2004...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    SteevL wrote: »

Can you cancel vacation time?

You usually can, but that coworker of mine sure couldn't for some reason. I don't remember the specifics anymore, but she was pissed.

• Options
    No cone at 8pm update? Falling apart!

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    North west Broward here. Shit be cray, yo. I work at a Costco at the gas station and holy shit you'd think it was the second coming of Andrew. I think we even ran out of water for about an hour last night. It's almost like there is a reason they tell you in friggin April to get a couple cases of water and other things. It's so you aren't running around like a chicken with it's head cut off at the last minute making the rest of us hate you.

• Options
    Awe cone for 11 update. West of fla projected to strengthen. Yikes

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Latest from weather.com
    Satellite imagery continues to show Erika's convection (thunderstorms) displaced east of the center of circulation. At the same time, the center of circulate is ill-defined and has continued to trend south of previous National Hurricane Center forecasts. This is a common characteristic for a struggling tropical system, as Danny did the same thing earlier this month.

Land interaction with the higher terrain of Haiti and the Dominican Republic has effectively ripped apart Erika's circulation. Pico Duarte on the Dominican Republic is over 10,000 feet and Haiti has several peaks over 7,000 feet.

Strong westerly to southwesterly wind shear in the area has been consistently very strong, compared to average, in the Caribbean Sea this hurricane season, so far. If anything, Erika will be moving into an environment of higher wind shear over the next day or so.

The result is that Erika has been hobbling through the Caribbean the past few days and it is uncertain how much longer the storm will remain classified as a tropical cyclone. The official National Hurricane Center forecast now weakens Erika to a tropical depression later Saturday.

But that doesn't mean there may not be serious impacts. Regardless of Erika's tropical status and organization, locally heavy rain and flash flooding will continue to be threats through at least the end of this weekend.

Intense rainfall impacted the Dominican Republic on Friday, with a personal weather station in Barahona reported 16.13 inches of rain in just nine hours. That station also reported an astonishing 8.80 inches of rain in one hour from 8 p.m. to 9 p.m. Friday.

A band of torrential rain also resulted in deadly flash flooding on the island of Dominica in the Lesser Antilles, Thursday. Roads were washed out, homes were damaged and an airport flooded.

Which is good news, as news goes. But the danger remains that Erika could strengthen over the warm ocean waters it will be going over after it crosses Haiti and Cuba so we're not out of the woods yet. At the very least Florida can expect a lot of rain, which we don't really need. This is gonna be a bad flood for the Tampa and Northern Suncoast area in any case.

AManFromEarth on
    Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    U97QCzwl.gif

You can see how the storm system keeps moving south and west of the projected track. This is good news for South Florida, as Cuba should weaken it, but bad news for the gulf coast as it leads the storm over the warm water in the gulf and possible restrengthening.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    My parents are planning to fly to Jacksonville on Sept 2. I'm not an expert on hurricane movement, but will the storm pass by then?

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    My parents are planning to fly to Jacksonville on Sept 2. I'm not an expert on hurricane movement, but will the storm pass by then?

That's next wednesday, so either the storm will have gone more to the west and jacksonville will probably get a shitload of rain, or it will be pushed more east by then, in which case jacksonville still gets a shitload of rain.

There's a chance your parents will be able to fly in, but I'd say the odds are against them. Almost certainly will be delays/cancellations unless it entirely misses florida

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    If she continues shifting west and there is credible reason to believe she'll enter the gulf, I would strongly recommend that folks living in the path just pack some things & leave town if that's at all feasible until she dissipates. Maybe start packing some basic stuff now just in case.

Hurricanes can rev-up all the way to Category 5 in the gulf waters, and you don't want to be there for a Cat 5.

With Love and Courage