As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel Heroes Omega] RIP Gazillion Shut Down, Game Servers Close 11/24

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Those are Team-ups, btw, for the Agents of SHIELD event coming up in a week or so.

• Options
    AgentVapor wrote:

Hey folks,

The Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. event will be enabled in today's Test Center for testing and feedback.

The key elements of this event are:

S.H.I.E.L.D. vs Hydra - Talk to Hydra Agent Baron Von Lind or S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent Rose Solomon in the Avengers Tower, at the base of the staircases leading up to the event vendors, to choose which side you want your Hero to work for. Once chosen, you will be granted a buff that will allow for bounty targets to drop off of bosses in Patrol modes. Once you gain a bounty buff, go to the specified location and defeat the boss to get a loot explosion. The loot explosions will have special S.H.I.E.L.D. & Hydra themed rewards!

New Achievements - 3 new Achievements will be available during this event!

New Items - Exclusive S.H.I.E.L.D. and Hydra themed items will be available during the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. event, including new Spotlights, Medals, Artifacts, Rings and even a new Legendary!

S.H.I.E.L.D. Experimental Potions - Upon successfully completing a bounty, you'll receive one of these experimental consumables designed by S.H.I.E.L.D. that grant your hero a significant stat boost! These potions only last for a short period and do not stack in any fashion, so be sure to use them when you need to take down an especially dangerous target.

Tournament - During the event, a Tournament will track your individual progress regardless of which side you have chosen. Points are earned by taking down bosses in Patrol zones, as well as acquiring the S.H.I.E.L.D. Experimental Potions recovered from key bounty targets:

Patrol Boss - 1 Point

Cosmic Patrol Boss - 3 Points

S.H.I.E.L.D. Experimental Potion acquired - 10 Points
    These Tournaments will run for 4 hours each throughout the duration of the event.

Please use this thread for any feedback or bug reports for the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. event currently on Test Center.

Thanks!

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    that's cool to read about the sweeping changes

I really just wanted to play the hulk and be able to punch dudes and take a punch without getting shredded like tissue paper cause I don't have 10000 omegas

and also not have to farm the same items for every character because the only thing that matters is brut chance : (

• Options
    I am hoping it brings up heroes I like but never play to a competitive level.

• Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    farbekrieg wrote: »
    Quick comment on the trial having the right team up (deadpool for example) goes a LOOOONG way to winning... Its been ages since I havent bruted the cosmic trial so whatever (mostly because i find patrols in general the most boring over rewarding system ever imagined... it wasnt a problem that people were 'leeching' the problem was that it was considered as end game content and therefore given best everything.

Which leads back to people getting upset that players who "weren't pulling their weight" in patrol modes were getting good gear for the upset players' efforts; i.e., leeching. If the problem was indeed that the patrols were end-game and gave best gear alone, then why put up a trial to get there? Especially now that you can get end-game gear without needing to set foot in cosmic patrols.

• Options
    DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    farbekrieg wrote: »
    Quick comment on the trial having the right team up (deadpool for example) goes a LOOOONG way to winning... Its been ages since I havent bruted the cosmic trial so whatever (mostly because i find patrols in general the most boring over rewarding system ever imagined... it wasnt a problem that people were 'leeching' the problem was that it was considered as end game content and therefore given best everything.

Which leads back to people getting upset that players who "weren't pulling their weight" in patrol modes were getting good gear for the upset players' efforts; i.e., leeching. If the problem was indeed that the patrols were end-game and gave best gear alone, then why put up a trial to get there? Especially now that you can get end-game gear without needing to set foot in cosmic patrols.

I kinda disagree, the problem was about 'leeching'. Not because of loot, but rather, that it sucks trying to take down Magneto and his Brotherhood in cosmic midtown with a bunch of folks who aren't doing much of anything against them.

The cosmic trial was absolutely not a perfect solution, but it's not like there weren't problems with fresh 60s joining cosmic midtown, either. Just the 'leechers' being there made the bosses tougher due to scaling, yet they weren't contributing enough damage to make up for it. Of course, a lot of the complaints was just folks disgruntled over people daring to join their instance with a sub-optimal non-top-tier hero and thus preventing the treadmill from operating at peak speed. But in the worst cases, people would battle bosses until they simply despawned. On consecutive boss spawns. And that's kinda sad.

Personally, I would have preferred them to have gone with group-only patrol instances instead, but it is what it is.

• Options
    @Dizzen: I was saying that it was about leeching, so not sure what you're disagreeing on? /confused

As for the "sub-optimal non-top-tier hero" comment, well, putting a trial up in front of these guys certainly made it even worse for their players to even set foot in Cosmic Patrols.

They could've checked the scaling. They could've checked these heroes to make sure that when they hit 60 they were on par with the others. Instead, they listened to the ones crying "Foul!" and catered to their whims. Instead of taking responsibility for poor hero design, they shoved that aside and put on a band-aid to please the elitists and punish players who dared play heroes they actually liked, and not the flavor-of-the-month powerhouses.

In any event, I really feel that the Cosmic Trial should go the way of the dodo and just be removed altogether. But that's just me and I doubt that will ever happen.

/endrant

• Options
    EnderEnder Registered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

Awesome! I love Sue Storm, glad to see a few buffs/fixes being tossed her way. :)

• Options
    DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    @Dizzen: I was saying that it was about leeching, so not sure what you're disagreeing on? /confused

As for the "sub-optimal non-top-tier hero" comment, well, putting a trial up in front of these guys certainly made it even worse for their players to even set foot in Cosmic Patrols.

They could've checked the scaling. They could've checked these heroes to make sure that when they hit 60 they were on par with the others. Instead, they listened to the ones crying "Foul!" and catered to their whims. Instead of taking responsibility for poor hero design, they shoved that aside and put on a band-aid to please the elitists and punish players who dared play heroes they actually liked, and not the flavor-of-the-month powerhouses.

In any event, I really feel that the Cosmic Trial should go the way of the dodo and just be removed altogether. But that's just me and I doubt that will ever happen.

/endrant

I was responding to the overall conversation, where farbekrieg seemed to be saying that leeching wasn't the problem, and you suggested that it was by posing your question about access to endgame gearing. I was chiming in to say that I do think it was about leeching, but it wasn't directly about loot, as the conversation had seemed to be suggesting. Loot was just the player incentive that caused the actual problem (players doing cosmic patrol content before they were ready for it).

The sub-optimal non-top-tier comment was my effort to illustrate the spectrum of complaints. On that end of the spectrum, there was not actually an issue. Players who expect everyone to be running current-meta top-tier characters that have been completely (or almost completely) kitted out, have unrealistic expectations about how long the fights should take.

But on the other end of that spectrum, there were patrol instances where groups were having problems. And part of the reason for those problems, people taking freshly maxed level characters into cosmic patrols, was not something that changes in hero design could (or at least should) fix.

Dizzen on
  • Options
    ArdolArdol Registered User regular
    Hero Power Update FAQ:

Hey folks,

This FAQ is being sticked to highlight some of the questions and developer responses that were posted in discussion of our first dev blog here:

http://forums.marvelheroes.com/discussion/294184/announcing-our-biggest-game-systems-update-ever/p1

Player questions here are paraphrased for clarity, however the responses posted are direct quotes from the developers. Click the link in any response shown to be taken directly to that response in the first dev blog discussion!

This FAQ will not be open for player posts, however any additional player questions with developer responses from the hero power update dev blog may be added to this FAQ in the future as needed.
    FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:

Q: Will this update affect Ultimate Powers at all?

A: @Asros posted:

Ultimate powers will remain the same as they are now. No changes to this system at all.

Q: When these Hero Power changes occur, what will happen with toggle powers, specializations, and passives that have active components?

A: @MichaelMayhem posted:

The 15 Talents and 2-3 Traits have effectively replaced all passives, toggles, and former specializations.

Q: With Medkits being converted into a pure cooldown instead of requiring a consumable item, will this impact Costume Cores that activate effects when Medkits are used?

Medkits will function 100% the same as they do now. They just wont be an item in your inventory anymore. Anything that interacts with medkits like invuln cores will continue to function the same way as they do now.

Q: With the Talents and Traits section taking up some of the space in the Powers panel, will heroes have some of their powers removed in the changes?

Any active powers have just been slid over to the first two trees. Can't think of any powers offhand that were actually removed.

Q: How is Rogue affected by the upcoming addition of Talents and Traits?

Glad you asked! In the post there mentions all heroes are getting Talents "with one exception" - Rogue is that exception. She has infinity build possibilities already, and any talent choices we did come up with could have easily not been usable in Rogue Power Configuration #35871.

Instead... she's getting the Stolen Power Bank. All powers you have stolen, ready to be slotted at your command. Whenever you want.

Note that we may end up shipping the other hero talents without the memory bank since it has a unique, new UI element in development made just for Rogue, but in that event it wouldn't be long before the bank was added. Maybe a month or two.

Q: How will this system work with a Hero such as Cable, who has 3 very specific build options, plus an additional "no-spec" build?

A fine example! Cable's "choose one of these three builds that we made for you" is gone entirely. His 3 specializations were exploded out, with almost every component now being a separate talent option, and all of the "you can't use this power unless you chose this build" restrictions are gone. It's completely up to you how you want to build him. You can replicate one of the old builds, or make up something new.

Maybe you want the cooldown Impaling Thrust from Askani Discipline, but keep the Damage over Time effect on Psychic Haze, AND you want that sweet sweet Hyper Viper Beam from Ordnance Discipline, while also using all three former "keystone powers" (Particle Accelerator, Psitimar Slam, Telekinetic Overload). GO FOR IT!

Q: With Talents being introduced, were options taken into consideration for those who want to focus on other things besides pure damage, such as support-focused builds?

Yup. Though we still don't support a "full" support build (meaning all you do ever is support others, never actually fight), many new team-oriented options are available. Invisible Woman in particular has among the most I believe.
    A stolen power bank for Rogue is something I've wanted for a long while. The ability to easily try different builds is so much better than the status quo.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    the problem with the 'leeching' construction is that you can easily pass the trial and still be 'leeching.' Plus leeching wasn't even really a problem, considering how little mob health scales past 4-5 players (this is why cosmic patrol bosses die in seconds now: everyone pointing at them is well geared and their health doesn't scale up much.)

it was a bunch of dudes inspecting people as the fights were going on, concluding they didn't have enough gear, then posting the screens on the forums that provided most of the impetus for adding the trial. Basically, assholes.

I actually don't think the trial is a very big deal; it's not that hard to pass and a 'you must be this tall to ride' type of mechanic isn't the worst thing in the world. But it's not as though what happened before was some big problem either.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    I agree with the a-holes part.

I disagree that the trial isn't a big deal. I have had many disappointments and ragequits from the stupid thing.

And hero design totally has a part in that. The fact that all fresh 60 heroes are not similar in power level should say something.

• Options
    Patch notes from earlier today:
    New Event: Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Choose Your Side!

S.H.I.E.L.D. has been infiltrated by HYDRA! Will you help root out the traitors as an Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D or will you aid the sinister HYDRA?

Players will be able to choose a side as either an Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. or HYDRA to gather intelligence, battle members of each faction, earn exclusive rewards and achievements!

This event will run from Tuesday, September 20th until Friday, September 30th.

Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. premieres Tuesday, September 20 at its new time, 10/9c on ABC.

Event Details:
    Talk to HYDRA Representative Baron Von Lind or S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent Rose Solomon in Avengers Tower in order to select which side you want to fight for. Once you have selected a side, you are free to change your selection by talking to either representative at any time duri9ng the event.

After selecting your side, Intelligence Reports will drop off of bosses in the different Patrol Modes. Follow the instructions in the Intelligence Report to find a traitor to your faction and obtain faction specific rewards!

Server Side Buffs - 100% Bonus XP

Daily Log-In Gift - 10 Omega Files, 5 Omega Orbs

Achievements - 5 new achievements to earn, including 2 new title rewards

Tournament - As players defeat bosses as either a HYDRA or S.H.I.E.L.D Agent, they will gain the following points towards their score:

1 Point per Patrol Boss defeat

3 Points per Cosmic Patrol Boss defeat
    10 Points per S.H.I.E.L.D.Experimental Potion looted

The Tournament will begin at 12 PM (Noon) Pacific on Tuesday, September 20th, and will reset every 4 hours.

Tournament Rewards:

1st place: 25 Omega Files, Case of 5 Omega Orbs, Random Event Spotlight, Mysterious Blue Box

Top 10: 20 Omega Files, Case of 5 Omega Orbs, Mysterious Blue Box
    Top 50: 10 Omega Files and case of 5 Omega Orbs
    Placement: 5 Omega Files and an Omega Orb

Minor Changes & Bug Fixes

Winter Soldier is now able to use Thunderbolts insignias.

The Green Axis Raid (Encounter 2) Champion and Elite mobs should now have the correct health and damage multipliers.

All Hulkbuster Holo-Sim achievements can be completed by anyone under (or over) level 60. Holo-Hulk feels comfortable with smashing anyone regardless of their level.

The Angela vs. Doctor Doom objective is now visible when uncompleted in the Doom Deathmatch achievement. Doctor Doom did not appreciate so many heroes assuming they could defeat him so trivially.

Reduced the XP reward for the Chapter 4 mission Subway Sweep, as this mission is repeatable but was granting XP intended for once-per-Prestige missions.

Fixed an issue that allowed Team-Up away powers to be in effect while the Team-Up Hero is active.

Fixed an issue that caused the radial menu to not display correctly when using a gamepad.

Fixed an issue that prevented power grants from being properly applied when respeccing power points.

Fixed Chinese subtitle font not displaying properly during cinematics.

Fixed an issue where the tutorial dismiss button was always the PS4 X button when using a gamepad, regardless of whether you had a PS4 or Xbox controller plugged in.
    Known Issues

These issues are known and are planned to be fixed in an upcoming update:

The achievements for Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. event are currently listed under the Adversaries category rather than Events.

There is a minor typo in HYDRA Agent Baron Von Lind’s dialogue text.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Ardol wrote: »
    Hero Power Update FAQ:

Hey folks,

This FAQ is being sticked to highlight some of the questions and developer responses that were posted in discussion of our first dev blog here:

http://forums.marvelheroes.com/discussion/294184/announcing-our-biggest-game-systems-update-ever/p1

Player questions here are paraphrased for clarity, however the responses posted are direct quotes from the developers. Click the link in any response shown to be taken directly to that response in the first dev blog discussion!

This FAQ will not be open for player posts, however any additional player questions with developer responses from the hero power update dev blog may be added to this FAQ in the future as needed.
    FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:

Q: Will this update affect Ultimate Powers at all?

Ultimate powers will remain the same as they are now. No changes to this system at all.

Q: When these Hero Power changes occur, what will happen with toggle powers, specializations, and passives that have active components?

The 15 Talents and 2-3 Traits have effectively replaced all passives, toggles, and former specializations.

Q: With Medkits being converted into a pure cooldown instead of requiring a consumable item, will this impact Costume Cores that activate effects when Medkits are used?

Medkits will function 100% the same as they do now. They just wont be an item in your inventory anymore. Anything that interacts with medkits like invuln cores will continue to function the same way as they do now.

Q: With the Talents and Traits section taking up some of the space in the Powers panel, will heroes have some of their powers removed in the changes?

Any active powers have just been slid over to the first two trees. Can't think of any powers offhand that were actually removed.

Q: How is Rogue affected by the upcoming addition of Talents and Traits?

Glad you asked! In the post there mentions all heroes are getting Talents "with one exception" - Rogue is that exception. She has infinity build possibilities already, and any talent choices we did come up with could have easily not been usable in Rogue Power Configuration #35871.

Instead... she's getting the Stolen Power Bank. All powers you have stolen, ready to be slotted at your command. Whenever you want.

Note that we may end up shipping the other hero talents without the memory bank since it has a unique, new UI element in development made just for Rogue, but in that event it wouldn't be long before the bank was added. Maybe a month or two.

Q: How will this system work with a Hero such as Cable, who has 3 very specific build options, plus an additional "no-spec" build?

A fine example! Cable's "choose one of these three builds that we made for you" is gone entirely. His 3 specializations were exploded out, with almost every component now being a separate talent option, and all of the "you can't use this power unless you chose this build" restrictions are gone. It's completely up to you how you want to build him. You can replicate one of the old builds, or make up something new.

Maybe you want the cooldown Impaling Thrust from Askani Discipline, but keep the Damage over Time effect on Psychic Haze, AND you want that sweet sweet Hyper Viper Beam from Ordnance Discipline, while also using all three former "keystone powers" (Particle Accelerator, Psitimar Slam, Telekinetic Overload). GO FOR IT!

Q: With Talents being introduced, were options taken into consideration for those who want to focus on other things besides pure damage, such as support-focused builds?

Yup. Though we still don't support a "full" support build (meaning all you do ever is support others, never actually fight), many new team-oriented options are available. Invisible Woman in particular has among the most I believe.
    A stolen power bank for Rogue is something I've wanted for a long while. The ability to easily try different builds is so much better than the status quo.

Now if they'd only make an easier way to get the raid powers, which are pretty much essential to almost any Rogue build. I guess I could just send my Rogue through the Muspelheim raid once after the bank comes into play to get them, so that'll be nice. However, I've never actually raided before, which has made my Rogue significantly less powerful than raiding ones, more's the pity.

edit: holy crap, I just thought - if they're removing power points, Rogue's gonna be the hero who profits the most, since she always has a number of one-pointers due to passives. And since the new system makes every power scale as if it had full power points...she's gonna be a monster.

She'll also be the only hero with passives as well.

Ender on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Heroes that took a bunch of 1 pointers are actually going to potentially suffer from this change, though them removing passives as powers and just making them innate to the hero will solve some of that I think.

It's not that you're going to get full benefit from more powers, it's now that they're taking out the "spending points" part and you're effectively just choosing eight powers to max out (not dissimilar from the number of power points we have now)

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Heroes that took a bunch of 1 pointers are actually going to potentially suffer from this change, though them removing passives as powers and just making them innate to the hero will solve some of that I think.

It's not that you're going to get full benefit from more powers, it's now that they're taking out the "spending points" part and you're effectively just choosing eight powers to max out (not dissimilar from the number of power points we have now)

But the link says otherwise:
    With that in mind, we’ve made things as direct and simple as possible. Powers will now have the benefits of maximum Power Points allotment incorporated directly into their base stats (scaling with your level), rendering Power Points obsolete. With this change, all Powers will be fully viable immediately upon unlock.

That seems to suggest that every power you have will be at maximum power when you unlock it. So, for someone like Rogue who carries a number of passives and supports that oftentimes get 1 point in them, they'll instead be buffed to the "full power points" level.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Ender wrote: »

With that in mind, we’ve made things as direct and simple as possible. Powers will now have the benefits of maximum Power Points allotment incorporated directly into their base stats (scaling with your level), rendering Power Points obsolete. With this change, all Powers will be fully viable immediately upon unlock.

That seems to suggest that every power you have will be at maximum power when you unlock it. So, for someone like Rogue who carries a number of passives and supports that oftentimes get 1 point in them, they'll instead be buffed to the "full power points" level.

The new system is going to give folks way less power points to spend though so they might not be able to get that little touch of a passive for the minimal cost of one point they used to be able to. Now it's a power choice of which you do not have many of.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options

The new system is going to give folks way less power points to spend though so they might not be able to get that little touch of a passive for the minimal cost of one point they used to be able to. Now it's a power choice of which you do not have many of.

The way it sounds to me is that you get every power at max power but can only use the ones that fit on a single power bar. I believe they're turning starktech cubes into ancient forgotten devices because there won't be power points anymore, you'll just unlock the power when you hit a certain level.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Ardol wrote: »

The way it sounds to me is that you get every power at max power but can only use the ones that fit on a single power bar. I believe they're turning starktech cubes into ancient forgotten devices because there won't be power points anymore, you'll just unlock the power when you hit a certain level.

I'm now amused we spent like a year hearing them talk about the development of Starktech and "soon" and now they're all going away.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    You get eight skills total.

End of story.

Most current Rogue builds invest in like no fewer than 12-14 skills because of 1 pointers.

• Options
    So there is some quality gear from this event, the shield rings seem pretty good for classes that stack spirit, the hydra ring is good for summoners and the medallions and artifacts seem at least decent too.

• Options
    I really want the medals.

• Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    The skill system has been broken since implementation and nothing seems to be moving it in the right direction, with the omega system adding an extra layer of complexity to an equation gaz simply cant solve.

Fewer skills means less itemization which means easier min maxing meaning more people will be camped atop fort op as fuck depending on which hero has the most breakable skills at the time.

• Options
    I really want the medals.

All the ones I've gotten have terrible rolls as I expected.

• Options
    Gaz, I don't think your daily card draw is helping boost morale...

?.png

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    At least you didn't get the single Ionic Particle.

• Options

Nobody's going to have passives other than Rogue (unless they seriously overhaul her kit, which they haven't suggested). Passives are all shifting towards the 5 new "exclusion" options (can't remember the name they used). And there are no more power points, you unlock every skill as you level, and they all operate as if you had full power points into the skill. That's a huge buff to Rogue, since she often has 3 one-point passive skills slotted, so now she'll have even more options. The only negative is the 8 skill restriction, since even with 3 passives, she has at least 9 other powers she can slot, not counting her own. I wonder if they're going to take that into account.

• Options
    Itemization dev blog will be up today. Also Like Cage stuff up on TC.

• Options
    Itemization dev blog will be up today. Also Like Cage stuff up on TC.

Does this mean he finally got his QoL?

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2016
    tldr:
    Power point bonuses are now attribute bonuses (str/dur/energy/etc).
    Uniques will no longer drop, existing uniques you have wont go away.
    Omega rarity replaces uniques, has passive effects that modify skills (extra shield bounces etc).
    Any character uniques will no longer be slot 1-5, other slots instead.

Morkath on
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Not sure how I feel about the new Omega rarity. I feel like those effects might be better as the replacement for starktech cubes.

• Options
    The omega rarity gives you more options for them I guess? Since you can get them for every slot?

Instead of just 4.

• Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    5 instead of 4 isn't much, but the starktech replacement could easily apply to uniques instead of artifacts.

At any rate I'll give it a chance because the power update seems great, but this update was a bit of a backwards step.

• Options
    5 instead of 4 isn't much, but the starktech replacement could easily apply to uniques instead of artifacts.

At any rate I'll give it a chance because the power update seems great, but this update was a bit of a backwards step.

Ah good point, I skimmed over that part. I thought they were also using it for rings/etc. Instead, I guess those just never go over rare now?

• Options
    They're talking about using those slots for boss specific drops as well

• Options
    ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular
    Looks like Luke's appearance is updated on the Test server but his power sets the same.

PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99